Moment that got you hooked to your club - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old July 10th, 2006, 15:04 Thread Starter
Premier Player

Teams: Uruguay, Toronto FC, Nacional
Moment that got you hooked to your club

Guys, Im adding this section for my football website (about the "First memory" that got you hooked). Read below to find out what I mean.
If anyone could add like a short 4-5 line summary of : why they became part of the team, and the moment that captured you for life. Ill add my example below.

BTW, go to my site . www.freewebs.com/seeno22 (and check out the main page for a hilarious GIF I put of "Zidane's Headbutt" to Materazzi, you'll laugh so hard)
Intro- I've been reading Fever Pitch (Nick Hornby) and it was a fantastic book. One part that got my attention was when he explained "How he became an Arsenal fan". He said that his dad took him to a game vs. a very small club. The story goes that Arsenal have always been known as the lest entertaining team in England ("Boring boring Arsenal"). On that day, Arsenal played terrible again, but sneaking by a win in the very last second: from a penalty ...that got scored after the goalie saved it and gave a free rebound. Something about that game made him fall for Arsenal. It was all a mixture of everything, the jerseys, the stadium, the simpathy. His father noticing this quickly took him to see Tottenham smash another team 5-1, but it was too late for Nick as he stated: "I had already falled for the team that barely beat Swindon 1-0"

I quickly realized that usually everyone has a team because 1) Where they were born , 2) Family tradition 3) The father's team (etc). But even if most of the people on earth follow a team for 1 (or a mixture) of all 3 reasons, there is always that "First Memory" of your team that stuck with you when you first saw them in early childhood. (either loving the jersey or getting attached as your team makes a great comeback, etc).

This is my example :
Nacional de Montevido- (Alvaro Perez)- 1992 Liguilla Final (Nacional vs. Penarol)- Copa Libertadores spot on the line as: Nacional defeated Penarol in PKs after a 1-1 draw to a superior Penarol team with TWO red cards for Nacional. My dad and I watched the game with my entire Penarol family and I remember the entire nation stopping for that 1 game. Best memory, the white amazing jerseys Nacional wore, the "comeback" with 8 men and "Superman Sere" saving the crucial Penalty at the end (same keeper that saved all those PKs in the 88 Intercontinental vs. PSV Eindhoven <managed by Gus Hiddink>). I was hooked for life.

Uruguay
- 4 Time World Champion (2 World Cups and 2 Olympic/World titles)
- 14 Copa Americas

- World Cup- 2 Fourth Places at (54,70)
- 1 FIFA Gold World title (1980)
- Youth World Cup- 1 Silver Medal (1997) , 1 Bronze Medal (1979)
[/B][/COLOR]
- 8 Copa Libertadores
- 6 World Club Championships

[COLOR="Red"][B]
World Football blog
http://foxfang4.livejournal.com/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old July 10th, 2006, 22:20
Rising Star

Didn't this used to be a Canadian soccer forum? Balkan racism, now foreign club talk, it's getting just like SFN.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old July 12th, 2006, 14:22
Star Player

Teams: Real Madrid, Real Valladolid, Toronto FC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolso4
Guys, Im adding this section for my football website (about the "First memory" that got you hooked). Read below to find out what I mean.
If anyone could add like a short 4-5 line summary of : why they became part of the team, and the moment that captured you for life. Ill add my example below.
To answer your question Bolso4, I supported three clubs growing up. Real Valladolid which is where I was originally born. I also supported Real Madrid as a child because as any person will tell you in Spain, people over there support their local club and than always support either Barca or Real Madrid. That's how huge these two clubs are in Spain. Also I supported the Toronto Blizzards when I first came to Canada. I used to go watch alot of their games at the old CNE stadium. The moment I was attracted to Real Valladolid was going to watch them as a kid. I was only around 5 years old and I saw them play in the Copa Del Rey against Atletico Madrid. It was an unbelievable experience. Real Madrid, I can't even remember when I began supporting them. Being that my family is from Castilla, most people from this region support Real Madrid and hate Barca. You are born into it. As for the Blizzards, they had amazing players back than. Players like Collin Miller, Bruce Wilson, etc... Also it was a joy to be able to see the Blizzards play against guys like Beckenbaur. Such a shame the NASL went under. It was a great league. Hopefully Toronto FC will start it all over again for Torontonians.

Viva Real Madrid y Espaņa!

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old July 12th, 2006, 16:27 Thread Starter
Premier Player

Teams: Uruguay, Toronto FC, Nacional
thanks for answering man.

PS- the new fifa rankings are up (new system). Im gonna check how Canada is doing,

Uruguay
- 4 Time World Champion (2 World Cups and 2 Olympic/World titles)
- 14 Copa Americas

- World Cup- 2 Fourth Places at (54,70)
- 1 FIFA Gold World title (1980)
- Youth World Cup- 1 Silver Medal (1997) , 1 Bronze Medal (1979)
[/B][/COLOR]
- 8 Copa Libertadores
- 6 World Club Championships

[COLOR="Red"][B]
World Football blog
http://foxfang4.livejournal.com/
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old July 12th, 2006, 19:42
Premier Player

Teams: celtic and winnipeg jets
i answered your thread as well bolso. need to go over to the scottish forum for it though.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in