post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old June 23rd, 2006, 00:34 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Star Player

Teams: Toronto FC, Fiorentina, Barça
World Cup is popular in Canada

Canadians getting kick out of World Cup
By DAN RALPH , Canadian Press
Thursday, June 22, 2006 – Page S6

Canada may not have a team entered but that hasn't stopped millions of Canadians from being bitten by the World Cup bug, a new poll suggests.

The poll, conducted by Decima Research and provided exclusively to Canadian Press yesterday, indicates more than seven million Canadian adults are interested in the tournament, which began June 9 in Germany and concludes July 9.

"I think this absolutely speaks to a bright future for soccer in Canada," said Bruce Anderson, the chief executive officer of Decima Research, a public opinion and marketing research company. "The World Cup is an international spectacle, a sport that people seem to find increasingly appealing.

"The thing about the long-term potential is if you look at the nature of the audience, you see young, urban, higher-income, more highly educated people. . . . Those demographics are obviously going to be quite appealing to advertisers and they'll be more inclined, I think, to get behind the game in the future."

The poll found 23 per cent of those surveyed said they were "somewhat interested" in the tournament while 15 per cent were "very interested."

Decima said its figures, applied to the country as a whole, suggest seven million Canadian adults are interested in the World Cup.

Decima polled 1,023 adults by telephone from June 16 to June 18. Its results, when considered as a reflection of countrywide attitudes, are accurate to within plus or minus 3.1 percentage points, 19 times out of 20.

Television ratings suggest World Cup interest is on the rise.

The Globe and Mail reported this week that TSN averaged 426,000 viewers a game while Rogers Sportsnet drew 343,000 fans through the first week of games carried.

The last time World Cup games were carried during the day in Canada was 1998, and the average audience then was 259,000 on TSN.

"I think these numbers suggest interest in soccer is growing," Anderson said. "If we look at how many people say they're hockey fans, and we find that's about 40 per cent of the public, these numbers suggest soccer has had a growing fan base within Canada."

Earl Cochrane of the Canadian Soccer Association was pleased to hear details about the poll, but was cautious in his interpretation of the results.

"I think it says far more about the appeal of the game worldwide than it does about the interest in Canada," he said. "I think we'll see the support we have for soccer in Canada next year when we host the under-20 World Cup. I think it [poll] is an indication the game in Canada is growing but I think the World Cup is also an event that transcends sport a bit."

He said participation in soccer is growing each year, with the majority of participants being under the age of 12.

"Ten years down the road we could have an enormous base of people who grew up playing soccer and loving it much like we have with hockey and that will definitely help the state of soccer in Canada," Cochrane said.

Not surprisingly, the biggest Canadian World Cup fans are men under the age of 25 but also those who have higher incomes and more education. Students, however, are the most enthusiastic group, according to the poll.

Isaac Ling, a 17-year-old high school student from Toronto, would seem to support that finding. Ling, sporting a yellow Brazil jersey, was trying to sell pals Basil Metcalfe, 16, and Robert Allen, 17, on the virtues of buying such a shirt as the three sifted through various World Cup gear at a downtown Toronto sporting goods store.

"Brazil is going to smoke everyone," Ling boasted. "Brazil all the way."

Brazil, the defending World Cup champion, sits atop Group F with an unblemished 2-0 record and has secured a spot in the second round.

Allen, however, isn't so sure.

"I watched Spain win [a 3-1 decision over Tunisia on Monday] and they looked like they could be a dangerous team," he said.

The Spanish are definitely a World Cup contender, having already qualified for the next round after two consecutive victories to stand first in Group H.

Canadians surveyed were divided when asked which team they wanted to see win. The poll suggested 15 per cent supported Brazil while 13 per cent favoured England.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old June 30th, 2006, 23:56 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Star Player

TV ratings soar for World Cup
Canadian Press
Friday, June 30, 2006

Canadian television ratings for the World Cup have improved dramatically from four years ago when the tournament was held in South Korea and Japan.

TSN and Rogers Sportsnet averaged 431,000 viewers a match over 56 games in the first and second rounds, which was a 138-per-cent increase over 2002 and a 46-per-cent increase over the 1998 World Cup in France, the networks said yesterday in a joint release.

The number of Canadians watching this year's World Cup in Germany jumped from an average of 386,000 in the first round to 683,000 in the second.

By comparison, the average audience over 47 NHL playoff games on CBC this year was 1.653 million and the high was Game 7 of the Stanley Cup, which was 5.553 million.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old July 2nd, 2006, 05:37 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Star Player

Canada's TV ratings for the World Cup pale in comparison to the USA.

ABC-TV averaged 8 million viewers for the first eight matches it aired - this in a country that has ten times the population of Canada. On a per capita basis, then, the USA ratings are twice as big as Canada's.

And yet, the press is saying that Americans don't care about the World Cup. I guess that means Canadians care even less.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old July 2nd, 2006, 05:50
World Class Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff
And yet, the press is saying that Americans don't care about the World Cup. I guess that means Canadians care even less.
How is that so?
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old July 2nd, 2006, 19:22 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Star Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabry
How is that so?
Um, because our TV ratings are only half of the USA's TV ratings, proportionate to population?
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old July 2nd, 2006, 20:04
World Class Player

Ahh, must've misread. I thought they had 8 million viewers in total for all first 8 matches.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old July 3rd, 2006, 03:37 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Star Player

No, the press report said an average of "barely" 8 million per game for ABC's broadcasts. TSN and Sportsnet can only dream of 800,000 Canadians watching a World Cup match.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old July 5th, 2006, 22:26
Star Player

Teams: Real Madrid, Real Valladolid, Toronto FC
I think we are seeing more middle - upper class Canadian's interesting themselves in the WC because it's all around. I even went to my dentist the other day and he couldn't stop talking about some of the matches he watched. It's great for Canada. It's not just immigrant families who are watching it anymore, the entire country is starting to take notice. Even the radio stations are talking about it in the mornings. This is a huge step forward for Canada.

Viva Real Madrid y España!
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old July 6th, 2006, 05:01
Star Player

Teams: whitecaps juve chelsea canada
The local sports radio here was talking World Cup quite a bit after the Italy semi-final win. They have never talked very much about football, as the competing station has the local team broadcast rights but they have just gone out of business and are traffic/weather radio now. young people are also more interested I have noticed, rather than middle aged men who are usually into the USA sports and hockey.

\/\/
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old July 6th, 2006, 08:26
Star Player

I like it when they talk football but its sad how little they really know about the sport. Especially on the fan590
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old July 6th, 2006, 14:42
Ne oprastam
Legend

Teams: Serbia,Red Star
the bobcat talking about soccer?

Ој Крајино ноћас си далеко, ал знај добро на те мисли неко!
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old July 6th, 2006, 21:52
Premier Player

Teams: Cro NT,Dinamo,Bayern Munich ,Rijeka
Hey Milos,

you write in your signature that "you guys will never forget"

What will you never forget?

As for Bobcat about soccer its a joke like all his comments.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old July 7th, 2006, 01:25
Rising Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Licki Macak
IIRC the Bobcat has a fairly decent background in soccer. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I believe he was involved with the Blizzard.

He just likes other sports better and delights in baiting the oh so easily baitable soccer "fans".
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old July 7th, 2006, 02:33
Ne oprastam
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Licki Macak
Hey Milos,

you write in your signature that "you guys will never forget"

What will you never forget?

where we came from and what we went through...the site is pretty hardcore and i dont agree with alot of things on it but i support what they are trying to do(help find missing people,pressure the cro government to help serbs,try and get people to move back etc etc)

btw come to niagara for the Nikola Tesla monument unvieling,Croats claim him as one of your own and an exemple of a "good serb" so your all welcome to come.

i like the bobcat but he does bash soccer apart from that hes an entertaining guy

post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old July 7th, 2006, 21:03
Premier Player

LOL Blizzard now that was a joke of a team.

As for the unveiling of the Tesla monument......well Im actually going to Smiljan,Lika Croatia. Thats where Im from, and the real ceremony is taking place in his birth town not Niagara or belgrade.

Im getting off topic here but I find it funny how Tesla is called an American/serb and yet since he was born in Croatia, grew up there but his Croatian roots are never mentioned.

This story about Tesla is becoming stale and stupid just like the one between Greeks and Macedonians about Alexander the Great.

Tesla was born in Croatia, his parents were born in Croatia, his grandparents were born in Croatia and their parents were born in Croatia. Teslas father was an Orthodox Priest, this is where it gets a bit confusing for the serbs......Orthodox religion is not exclusive only to serbs....there are Orthodox Croatians.

But it really doesnt matter who or what the man was.....he was a GENIOUS and there will never be a visionary like him for a long,long,long time.

The sad part is that a lot of people have no clue as to who this Great man was.

He invented the radio not that fake Marconi who stole the idea from him. He also invented the remote control, alternating current and the CELLULAR phone just to name a few of his inventions.

There is a movie coming out about him.....David Bowie is playing him.
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old July 8th, 2006, 21:34
Ne oprastam
Legend

im sure Nikola Tesla is smiling down on Croatia from heaven thinking to himself"wow i wish i was alive today"
during the war his statue was beheaded and his house was vandalized and now your putting up a monument?my how have we changed not,hes only a Croat when it suits you.

yes he was born in Croatia ,so was i that doesnt mean im Croatian...just like someone from Hercegovina wouldnt like it if i called them a Bosnian.Nikola Tesla didnt go back home alot but when he did he went to Belgrade and gave lectures to the Serbian students....he never went to Zagreb to talk to Croatian students.

'Ako budem srećan da ostvarim bar neke od svojih ideala, to će biti dobročinstvo za celo čovečanstvo. Ako se te moje nade ispune, najslađa misao biće mi ta - da je to delo jednog Srbina.
Nikola Tesla

all the proof i need

look i agree that it doesnt matter what he is but i just find it wierd how 15 years he was hated and now hes a Croatian hero?

I remember when we learned about who invented the radio in school and the teacher said it was Marconi and i yelled at her and called her a stupid canadian bitch.Then 2 weeks later we were talking about Christopher Columbus and she said he was Italian and a Croatian kid named Ivan yelled at her and called her a stupid canadian bitch haha great times

David Bowieno way haha i guess they are gonna make him look really crazy then

post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old July 8th, 2006, 21:48
BANNED!
Legend

Teams: Argentina, Russia, Greece, Israel, Czech Republic
Quote:
Originally Posted by milos
1)im sure Nikola Tesla is smiling down on Croatia from heaven thinking to himself"wow i wish i was alive today"

2)during the war his statue was beheaded and his house was vandalized and now your putting up a monument?my how have we changed not,hes only a Croat when it suits you.

3)Then 2 weeks later we were talking about Christopher Columbus and she said he was Italian and a Croatian kid named Ivan yelled at her and called her a stupid canadian bitch
1)Signiture material.

2)It is the truth,somebody is Croatian only when it suits them.

3)Columbus was Catalan.
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old July 9th, 2006, 01:46
Premier Player

during the war his statue was behead

Oh I love how misinformed people are and yet they still spread the same lies over and over again. Teslas statue was destroyed by mortar fire. Since the shelling was directed at Gospic who do you think was shelling the city my friend. I was stationed at Licki Osik at the time so please dont waste your time trying to convince me. Teslas statue and the serb church were both destroyed by serb shelling.

But this is way off topic and doesnt really matter now does it....the statue is rebuilt, and so is his house.

His house wasnt destroyed but rather during the serb agression on Gospic people had to leave and seek refuge in other towns. People are people...some are nice and others are destructive...

Would you like me to dig up a quote of his how he considered himself a proud Croat and how he has respect towards his home country.

I invite you to go to Smiljan and see the real plaque to the man and not some BS one in Hamilton of all places.
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old July 9th, 2006, 02:08 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Star Player

OK, this is way off topic and it ends here.

One more off topic post and I'll close the thread.
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old July 9th, 2006, 03:41
Premier Player

Well it may be off topic but if it wasnt for Tesla we probably wouldnt be here lol. Just think of it this way as a history lesson.

Now what was the topic here?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in