LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old May 9th, 2006, 16:27 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Winnipeg Ref Vergara Appointed to 2006 FIFA World Cup

Return to World Cup
Winnipeg ref gets late call
By KIRK PENTON -- Winnipeg Sun
http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Soccer/Wor...71110-sun.html

Hector Vergara is headed back to the world's most popular sporting event.

The 39-year-old from Winnipeg has been chosen to be an assistant referee at the 2006 FIFA World Cup, the world championship soccer tournament that is held every four years and begins next month in Germany.

Vergara's "dream" came true in 2002 when he was selected to work his first World Cup, when it was held in Korea and Japan, and he did such a fine job that he worked six games, including the bronze-medal match.

FIFA must have a great memory, because it has made Vergara the only assistant referee from North and Central America to be invited back for a second straight tour of duty.

"It does feel pretty good," said Vergara last night. "It's a dream to go to the World Cup, as I had said leading up to 2002, but to go twice is almost an impossible task."

Vergara, who is the Manitoba Soccer Association's chief administrator, didn't think he would get the call again, because the referee he had been working with suffered a serious knee injury in December. FIFA now views its officials as groups of three, so if one goes down, they essentially all go down.

He's obviously respected in the soccer world, however, because he has been taken out of his former trio and will work with a new pair in Germany.

"I thought my chances of going were almost zero, so for them to come back and say 'We want you to be a part of this trio' means to me that they really want me there and they value what I've done," said Vergara.

It's believed Vergara was only the fourth Canadian official to get the World Cup call. Prior to his 2002 selection, the last time a Canuck official got the nod was in 1978.

"To be able to go again, I feel pretty excited and thrilled about the whole thing," he said.

Vergara is familiar with the referee in his new trio, Armando Achundia, because they worked together in the 2004 Olympic semifinal between Argentina and Italy, and also in December's world club final between Sao Paulo and Liverpool.

"We've known each other for awhile now," said Vergara.

That familiarity will come in handy, considering the scrutiny that comes with working the World Cup. The officiating was criticized heavily in 2002, but Vergara's work was unquestioned.

That's a good thing, too, because World Cup officials aren't getting rich doing this gig. They get their flights and hotel paid for, as well as a small per diem.

Vergara leaves for Germany on May 26.

Last edited by Joe MacCarthy; May 10th, 2006 at 12:42.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old May 10th, 2006, 12:43 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Vergara Appointed to 2006 FIFA World Cup

Referee Center
Tuesday, May 09, 2006
Vergara Appointed to 2006 FIFA World Cup
http://www.canadasoccer.com/eng/medi...?Press_ID=2443

Hector Vergara off to 2006 World Cup

Ottawa, Ontario – The Canadian Soccer Association is pleased to announce that FIFA, world soccer’s governing body, has appointed Canadian official, Hector Vergara, to the list of Assistant Referees for next month’s 2006 FIFA World Cup in Germany.

Visit FIFA.com for the full list of appointments.

Vergara will team-up with referee Armando Archundia and assistant referee Francisco Ramirez, both from Mexico, to form one of three crews that will represent the CONCACAF region. The two other crews from the CONCACAF region with feature an all-Caribbean team along with another from Central America.

Perhaps CONCACAF’s most experienced official, Peter Prendergast (Jamaica), will be in the middle of Assistant Referee’s Anthony Garwood (Jamaica) and Joseph Taylor (Trinidad & Tobago) while Mexico’s Marco Rodriguez will partner with Assistant Referee’s Jose Luis Camargo (Mexico) and Leonel Leal (Costa Rica) to form the third crew.

A fourth CONCACAF trio featuring referee Kevin Stott (USA), Chris Strickland (USA) and Gregory Barkley (USA) were named to the newly formed Support and Development Group of officials and will be used as a back-up should injury or illness force an appointed match official to withdraw.

As one would expect, when asked about his appointment, the Winnipeg-native was extremely honoured and excited about participating in soccer’s marquee event this summer.

“I am extremely proud and pleased with having earned a spot for the World Cup. All the sacrifices that have been made by my family and I have paid off. Four years of preparation and what seems to be a life time of devotion to refereeing has once again rewarded me with this prestigious opportunity.”

Vergara’s international resume is an impressive one and includes over 90 international matches, including four World Championships, the 2002 World Cup, the 2004 Athens Olympic Tournament, three Gold Cups and a plethora of World Cup Qualifiers. Vergara’s last major FIFA appointment was the 2005 FIFA Club World Championship final between England’s Liverpool FC and Brazil’s Sao Paulo in Yokohama, Japan in late December.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in