Toronto MLS Team Name Is... - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 59 (permalink) Old April 4th, 2006, 06:49 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Toronto MLS Team Name Is...

Unless this is an elaborate hoax and it doesn't appear to be, various sources are reporting a few names have been put forward with the Canadian and US patent offices. One is Inter Toronto FC (ugggh) and the others are Toronto Northmen FC and Toronto FC.

The FC part is totally lame owing to the fact Toronto already has a football team called the Argonauts.

Keeping with the Canadian football connection, (from Wikipedia) the Toronto Northmen (owned by Toronto media mogul John Bassett) were to be a franchise in the World Football League which operated in 1974 and 1975.

The team was originally slated to be based in Toronto. However, when Canadian Prime Minister Pierre Trudeau announced that no U.S.-based professional football league would be allowed in Canada in competition with the Canadian Football League, a change in venue and nickname was announced and they became the Memphis Southmen.

The Toronto Northmen name is getting some positive feedback or is less than the backlash against Inter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 59 (permalink) Old April 4th, 2006, 19:13
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe MacCarthy
Unless this is an elaborate hoax and it doesn't appear to be, various sources are reporting a few names have been put forward with the Canadian and US patent offices. One is Inter Toronto FC (ugggh) and the others are Toronto Northmen FC and Toronto FC.

The FC part is totally lame owing to the fact Toronto already has a football team called the Argonauts.

Keeping with the Canadian football connection, (from Wikipedia) the Toronto Northmen (owned by Toronto media mogul John Bassett) were to be a franchise in the World Football League which operated in 1974 and 1975.

The team was originally slated to be based in Toronto. However, when Canadian Prime Minister Pierre Trudeau announced that no U.S.-based professional football league would be allowed in Canada in competition with the Canadian Football League, a change in venue and nickname was announced and they became the Memphis Southmen.

The Toronto Northmen name is getting some positive feedback or is less than the backlash against Inter.
Put your money on Toronto Athletic FC, it won't be considered as one ethic name by any of the ethnic community in Toronto, and is a decent
name all round.
post #3 of 59 (permalink) Old April 13th, 2006, 17:32 Thread Starter
Rising Star

'Inter' name poses Real problem for club

'Inter' name poses Real problem for club
T.O.'s MLS entry needs more inclusive moniker
Cathal Kelly
http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Con...=1044529386490

Major League Soccer is working very hard to get its new brand of pandering just right. Largely unable to interest mainstream America, the league has turned its sights on the ethnic fans most attached to the beautiful game.

So when Toronto's MLS franchise debuts in spring 2007, it seems it's going to do so brimming with Italian brio. It's been widely reported that the team will be called Inter Toronto FC, a name inspired by Serie A club Inter Milan. Team owner Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment has neither confirmed nor denied the widespread rumour.

At first blush, this is a clear sop to the 200,000 or so members of Toronto's Italian community. But for every Inter fan in this city, there's an Italian Juventus, AC Milan or Roma supporter who won't like the idea one bit. It's more likely that MLSE's braintrust thought the name suited our multicultural make-up since Inter Milan was born as an immigrant experiment.

In the early 20th century, the Milan Cricket and Football Club didn't accept non-Italians as members. So in 1908 a group of unhappy Swiss players and some Italian rebels formed their own side. They named it Internazionale to celebrate its multinational character. Thus the nickname "Inter." The MCFC would go on to become their bitter modern rivals, AC Milan.

When MLS kicked off in 1996, it did so with team names like the Crew, the Mutiny and the Rapids — American names. After the 2004 season, the thinking shifted to accommodate the league's fastest growing fan base.

The Dallas Burn was renamed FC Dallas ("F" for futbol rather than football), acknowledging that the club's core support came from the Latino community. An expansion franchise aimed at Los Angeles's Spanish speakers was named Deportivo Chivas. Another in Utah, where Latinos make up more than one-tenth of the population, was dubbed Real Salt Lake. Most white Utahns, even the soccer fans, mistakenly pronounced it "Reel" instead of "Ray-al."

When the San Jose Earthquakes moved to Houston for the 2006 season, they tried a variation on the league's new theme. Officials christened the club Houston 1836 to mark the year of the city's birth. It's common for German sides to note the year of a club's creation in their names (e.g. Munich 1860, Bayer 04 Leverkusen). This time, the moniker blew up in their faces.

As in Dallas, L.A. and Salt Lake City, a large part of MLS's Houston strategy was to attract Latinos.

So when the team's target audience pointed out that 1836 also marked the year white Texans bloodily seceded from Mexico, it was cause for concern. When the issue spilled into the larger political debate of Texas, a state where one in three citizens claims Mexican ancestry, it became a crisis. Before it had played a game, the club was renamed Houston Dynamo.

That's not to suggest any sort of ethnic revolt is going to happen in Toronto. But naming the team Inter annoys non-Italian fans, Italian fans who don't like Inter and the vast sports-going public who has no idea what the name means. Even Inter Milan's fans could conceivably object to an upstart side equating itself with the Italian giant.

Appealing directly to Mexican-Americans in cities where Anglo locals politely ignore your product is one thing, but picking ethnic favourites in Toronto is all downside. Someone's bound to feel left out.

Also, aping the names of bigger clubs only calls attention to what MLS isn't — a European league.

In the end, the team name has to make a compromise between pleasing the relatively few knowledgeable local fans while not alienating the legion of others who might warm up to Toronto soccer, but need to be coaxed along gently.

And here's the thing about compromises — they usually bother someone.

Houston's compromise — Dynamo — echoes Dynamo Moscow. That club was named and controlled for many years by the Soviet secret police. Fortunately for MLS, Houston's eastern European émigré community doesn't have the clout to mess with Texas.

post #4 of 59 (permalink) Old April 13th, 2006, 17:46
Premier Player

Teams: Uruguay, Toronto FC, Nacional
hmm interesting.

I think this club will be very very successful. They couldnt have picked a better city right now (Like not only will "Latinos" go to games, but there is big excitement from the Brits, Scots (who wake up at 7 AM every sunday to watch Celtic/Rangers downtown <if your ever up by then ....youll see them walking the streets near their pubs, there are so many>.......the African fans (Africans are as fanatics as any part of the world), there are thousands of Asian fanatics in Toronto (I go play at U of T and all the Japaneese are wearing Japan or J-League jerseys).............and the Canadian who enjoys the game (we are all canadian.......but you know what i mean).

Id name the club Toronto Athletic, but there has to be something better.

(FC is too bland.). And the article is right, I cant stand Inter Milan (and im not even Italian or a "Roma fan". Its like calling the team "Chelsea Toronto" (Chelsea is 1 of the most hated clubs in the world by fans).

Uruguay
- 4 Time World Champion (2 World Cups and 2 Olympic/World titles)
- 14 Copa Americas

- World Cup- 2 Fourth Places at (54,70)
- 1 FIFA Gold World title (1980)
- Youth World Cup- 1 Silver Medal (1997) , 1 Bronze Medal (1979)
[/B][/COLOR]
- 8 Copa Libertadores
- 6 World Club Championships

[COLOR="Red"][B]
World Football blog
http://foxfang4.livejournal.com/
post #5 of 59 (permalink) Old April 13th, 2006, 18:07
Forum Manager
Star Player

Teams: Toronto FC, Fiorentina, Barça
The CSA/MLS comedy of errors continues.

Inter is about the dumbest name anybody could think of.

Why don't they have a "name the team" promotion to build interest in the new team, the way the basketball Raptors did? Let the fans choose their favourite name from among several nominees; it will give the fans more of a feeling of "ownership" of the team and undoubtedly result in a better name.
post #6 of 59 (permalink) Old April 13th, 2006, 18:59
Premier Player

yeah...ok. Imagine there are 200,000 Italians in Toronto, and 50,000 Scot origin, 50,000 Latinos, . Now imagine 150,000 of those Italians are Roma Fans and vote the club to be called "AC Roma Toronto". That would piss ALOT of ppl off.

Like imagine if the Japaneese want the club to be called something Japaneeese. Or what if many "regular Canadians" want the club to be called "Toronto Lightning" or "Toronto Beavers" (with a little angry beaver winking as the crest)............see my point?

They have to make the team look as neutral as possible

AC Toronto
FC Toronto
Toronto Athletic
Toronto United (Eh....kinda bad name. Seems too much like Man U, we'd be as much of a laughing stock as REAL Salt Lake)

Uruguay
- 14 Copa Americas

[/B][/COLOR]
- 8 Copa Libertadores

[COLOR="Red"][B]
World Football blog
post #7 of 59 (permalink) Old April 14th, 2006, 04:29
Forum Manager
Star Player

Teams: Toronto FC, Fiorentina, Barça
It's not going to be an "ethnic" team, so there's no need for an "ethnic" name.

The only way to ensure a "popular" name is to let the fans vote. People will accept a name that is not their first choice if they are convinced the process is fair and reasonable.
post #8 of 59 (permalink) Old April 14th, 2006, 04:47 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Personally, I think the "Inter" thing is a swerve, although I don't understand why a major player like MLSE would be playing that game. I am quite sure they would not be so dumb as to use a name like that.

I noticed the Cathal Kelly article seemed to echo a post I made at BS a few days ago. The "Inter" name alienates everybody, including "Inter" fans.

I think they threw it out there to see if there would be a groundswell of support for another name. There doesn't seem to be any concensus. The early favourite "Blizzard" seems to have gone out of the picture completely. City and Northmen have their supporters but not near as many as hate the name Inter.
post #9 of 59 (permalink) Old April 14th, 2006, 20:16
Premier Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe MacCarthy
Personally, I think the "Inter" thing is a swerve, although I don't understand why a major player like MLSE would be playing that game. .
I never thought MLSE would be stupid like that.....until I heard that Salt lake city was called "Real Salt Lake" (possibly the stupidest name is the history of any sport)

Uruguay
- 14 Copa Americas

[/B][/COLOR]
- 8 Copa Libertadores

[COLOR="Red"][B]
World Football blog
post #10 of 59 (permalink) Old April 15th, 2006, 01:55
International

Teams: Albania, Red Bulls NY,
Toronto Athletic is good. Northmen isn't bad either. Everything else is just cheesy.

DULCE ET DECORUM EST PRO PATRIA MORI

ILLYRICUM TOTO SUPERUS

RROFT SHQIPERIA
post #11 of 59 (permalink) Old April 15th, 2006, 03:50
Star Player

Teams: FC Parma and Toronto FC
I have a crazy theory...an MLSE marketing genius comes with the idea of registering a fake team name that's so completely terrible just to see a reaction out of all the Toronto soccer fans...then at the last second turn around and give us a totally new name, and bam, suddenly MLSE are the heros, they've created the desired buzz about the team, and we all go out and buy MLS Toronto merchandise because we're so relieved that the team name is not Inter Toronto.

Or not...whatever, i'll still buy season tickets regardless.

My personal favourites:

Toronto City FC
Toronto Union City FC
Toronto SC
FC Toronto
Toronto City SC
Toronto Athletic SC

"I am happy the side survived, because this team is the shining jewel in a city that is symbolic of culture, politeness and civility. I hoped with all my heart that Parma would stay in Serie A, for this outfit and all of Italian football.

(Arrigo Sacchi)
post #12 of 59 (permalink) Old April 15th, 2006, 06:05 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Didn't I just post that?
post #13 of 59 (permalink) Old April 15th, 2006, 17:16
Star Player

lol..i guess u did

I guess its ur crazy theory then.

"I am happy the side survived, because this team is the shining jewel in a city that is symbolic of culture, politeness and civility. I hoped with all my heart that Parma would stay in Serie A, for this outfit and all of Italian football.

(Arrigo Sacchi)
post #14 of 59 (permalink) Old April 17th, 2006, 16:01
Premier Player

Teams: Celtic FC, Scotland & Argentina
I've only been to Toronto once on my way to Orlando,FL but i loved the city and because of that I am going to back Inter Toronto. Great City and Great Name.
post #15 of 59 (permalink) Old April 17th, 2006, 19:25
Xtratime Legend

AC Toronto would have been a perfect name.
post #16 of 59 (permalink) Old April 18th, 2006, 04:26
Star Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambis
AC Toronto would have been a perfect name.
Ya,..:rollani: other than the fact that "Associazione" and "Calcio" are not English words.

(Arrigo Sacchi)
post #17 of 59 (permalink) Old April 18th, 2006, 06:13 Thread Starter
Rising Star

In that case it means Athletic Club. If MLSE feels the need to put a Euro poseur name on the club it can only seen as second rate in comparison. FC is as bad as Inter. Besides there is already an FC and there is already a United in MLS.

It would be nice if MLSE could be original.
post #18 of 59 (permalink) Old April 18th, 2006, 18:00
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucaGol
Ya,..:rollani: other than the fact that "Associazione" and "Calcio" are not English words.
Well someone else is using FC like FC Dallas so it would only make sence to call it AC Toronto or if not that then Toronto CF
post #19 of 59 (permalink) Old April 20th, 2006, 00:52
Premier Player

I dont really care about the name. I am happy were finally gonna get to see a real team in a real stadium for the first time in canadian history. I hope we get a good team.
post #20 of 59 (permalink) Old April 20th, 2006, 01:23 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirona_star
I am happy were finally gonna get to see a real team in a real stadium for the first time in canadian history.
Evidently you weren't around for the NASL.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in