Canadians in Holland - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old September 18th, 2005, 20:16 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Jonathan De Guzman on Feyenoord's main team

Jonathan De Guzman, having just turned 18, is now with Feyenoord's main team and was subbed in at 83 minutes in Feyenoord's 5-1 win over Heerenveen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old September 19th, 2005, 01:38
Star Player

Congrats.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old March 31st, 2006, 06:22 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Marcel De Jong has signed with Roda JC

Wow, it looks like two Canadians on the same day have signed with top tier Dutch clubs. First Will Johnson with a successful trial at Heerenveen and now earlier rumours look to be true (pending Dutch translation); it looks as though Marcel De Jong has signed with Roda JC.

http://www.rodajc.nl/default.asp

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old March 31st, 2006, 08:53 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Rob Friend signs four year deal with Heerenveen

Better start a Canadians in Holland thread.

Pending his medical. Rob Friend has signed a four year deal with Heerenveen joining Will Johnson.

http://www.sc-heerenveen.nl/web/show...contentid=3224

This is probably the greatest Canadian signing day in history. Looks like three Canadians (Will Johnson, Marcel DeJong and Rob Friend) have signed with top tier Dutch clubs in one day.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old April 1st, 2006, 05:12 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Canadians in Holland Thread

Figure we'll be needing this soon.

Will Johnson signing at Heerenveen

Rob Friend signing with Heerenveen

http://www.sc-heerenveen.nl/web/show...contentid=3224

Jeff, feel free to merge the threads here. Up to you
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old April 1st, 2006, 08:46
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Feyenoord & Spuds
from what a guy said in the Dutch forum, Friend sounds like a Jan Vennegoor of Hessellink with his length but what do you reckon his quality is like? better than Oliver Ocean? who I've seen play against us with Odd Grenlund last season and who imo would have fit well in a midtable side like Roda JC. Shame really they didn't have enough money to buy him last summer.

ps: read that Friend cost 2m euros.

Lex Immers - Pace & power. Holland's #1 box to box player

Feyenoord forum - the place to talk about this phenomenon

Ronald Koeman "Oranje kan Immers goed gebruiken"

Fred Rutten "Feyenoord heeft Immers nodig"

Van Marwijk over Lex Immers: 'Stille kracht van Feyenoord'

John de Wolf “Dat is nou precies de aanjager, het ’etterbakkie’ in het veld dat Feyenoord in dit soort wedstrijden nodig heeft"

Last edited by Jenas; April 1st, 2006 at 09:07.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old April 1st, 2006, 16:51 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Rob Friend

http://forums.soccerfansnetwork.com/...44&postcount=8

The 6 foot 4, 205-pound Friend had another stellar season connecting 10 goals in 22 league games, and three more in five starts on the run to The Cup.

I believe he was the 5th leading scorer in the Tippeligaen.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old April 2nd, 2006, 06:30
Forum Manager
Star Player

Teams: Toronto FC, Fiorentina, Barça
Related thread:

Will Jonathan de Guzman choose Canada or Holland?

Last edited by Jeff; April 4th, 2006 at 07:02.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old April 3rd, 2006, 19:45
Forum Manager
Legend

Teams: Athletic Club, FC Utrecht & VVV-Venlo
Roda is signing more and more young talented Dutch players instead of 'weird foreigners' like they used to do since Stevens arrived there, so de Jong must have potential, otherwise Stevens would never sign him, he's having a good season at Helmond Sport so far.

As for the Canadians who signed for Heerenveen, don't know Friend at all, and the article says Johnson got a trial because of current American SCH player Bradley advised Heerenveen about his qualities.

Hopefully they'll do well, it's really a coincidence at once there are four Canadians in the Eredivisie, but first let's wait and see, probably Johnson will start in Heerenveen second squad, but I'm not sure, also de Jong won't be a starter immediately I think.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old April 4th, 2006, 05:35 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knoert
Roda is signing more and more young talented Dutch players instead of 'weird foreigners' like they used to do since Stevens arrived there, so de Jong must have potential, otherwise Stevens would never sign him, he's having a good season at Helmond Sport so far.

Hopefully they'll do well, it's really a coincidence at once there are four Canadians in the Eredivisie, but first let's wait and see, probably Johnson will start in Heerenveen second squad, but I'm not sure, also de Jong won't be a starter immediately I think.
Actually there are six Canadians in the Eredivisie and they're all teenagers except Wagenaar (21) and Friend (an old man at 25).

In addition to DeGuzman, DeJong, Friend and Johnson, former Canadian U20 keeper Josh Wagenaar signed with ADO Den Haag about a month ago and I just read yesterday where ADO released two of their keepers, so he will get a shot.

Also Graham Ramalho of Jong Groningen just had his first game on the bench for the big team. He's been in their system for a while and hopefully will be able to crack the lineup next year. We'll have to wait to see if he was just injury cover or will be with the big team for their next game.

Regardless of whether they start (DeJong, Johnson) you have to remember these guys are not even 20 years of age yet. De Jong was formerly in the PSV Eindhoven system. Johnson has been impressive internationally and is going to be a good one and I think Friend who was impressive in the 0-0 tie against the USA and the 2-0 win over Austria will do great as well.

It seems from what few opportunities the National team gets playing friendlies, signings soon result. So we must be starting to do something right.

Friend was the 5th leading scorer in the Tippeligaen with 10 goals in 22 games and led his team to the Norwegian Cup. I guess I already mentioned that.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old April 4th, 2006, 05:45 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Tks to Wally for headsup

Different links and info on Wagenaar signing Wally alerted us to.

Looks like Canadian U20 International and Hartwick College keeper Josh Wagenaar has signed a two year deal (starting July 1) with ADO den Haag of the top tier Holland Eredivisie.

http://www.adodenhaag.nl/nl/html/alg...RN4301K7J6E1KM

Photo courtesy CSA

Also from planetfootball good news regarding keeper Josh Wagenaar's chances with ADO den Haag

Quartet to leave ADO
By Jeffrey Glorie - Created on 30 Mar 2006
http://home.skysports.com/list.asp?h...t+to+leave+ADO

ADO Den Haag are to usher a quartet of players through the door at the end of the season.

Dorus de Vries, Roy Stroeve, Spira Grujic and Cees Paauwe have been informed their contracts will not be renewed for next term

Keeper de Vries had been a fixture in the side for two years since his move from Stormvogels/Telstar, but has slipped out of the picture following the capture of Jaroslav Drobny.

Midfielder Stroeve has lost his place having made over 120 appearances for the club, while defender Grujic and keeper Paauwe have been struggling with injuries.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old April 4th, 2006, 07:06
Forum Manager
Star Player

Teams: Toronto FC, Fiorentina, Barça
From Monday's Globe and Mail:

De Guzman makes top-10 talent list
By Peter Mallett
Monday, April 3, 2006

Toronto's Jonathan de Guzman, playing for Dutch club Feyenoord Rotterdam, has been included on a list of the top-10 teenage soccer talents compiled by The Sunday Times in Britain.

Leading the way is Argentina and Barcelona forward Lionel Messi. Arsenal's Cesc Fabregas is rated No. 2.

No. 9-ranked de Guzman, an 18-year-old midfielder, has yet to decide whether to join Canada's national program or play for his adopted country of Holland.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old April 6th, 2006, 12:52
Forum Manager
Legend

Teams: Athletic Club, FC Utrecht & VVV-Venlo
And we can welcome another one

http://www.vi.nl/vi/show/id=62802/co...8458/sc=e2bac0

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.vi.nl/vi/show/id=62802/contentid=78458/sc=e2bac0
RKC legt Canadese spits met Welsh roots vast

6/4/2006 13:10

Dylan Hughes heeft RKC Waalwijk kunnen overtuigen tijdens zijn stage. De Canadese spits met roots in Wales verdiende een contract voor twee jaar.
Hughes mocht zich half maart bewijzen in een vriendschappelijke wedstrijd tegen UDI'19. De 21-jarige aanvaller maakte indruk op de technische staf van RKC, hetgeen geleid heeft tot een contract in Waalwijk.

Voor zijn geboorteland Canada heeft Hughes negen duels als jeugdinternational op zijn naam staan. In die interlands deed hij drie keer van zich spreken. Maar ook bij Jong Wales - Hughes' vader is een geboren Welshman - heeft hij zijn opwachting gemaakt.

Afgelopen seizoenen speelde Hughes, die een verblijf bij Newcastle United eindigde vanwege heimwee, in Duitsland. In de winterstop van 2004/05 verruilde hij de amateurs 1. FC Kaiserslautern voor Jahn Regensburg, dat uitkomt in de Regionalliga.

Hughes is de derde nieuweling die zich komende zomer kan melden in Waalwijk. RKC contracteerde eerder al Martijn Reuser (Willem II) en Tim Janssen (PSV).
Dylan Hughes is a 21-year-old striker, played 9 times for Canadian youth teams and scored three times. He also played one youth match with a Welsh youth team, as he got a Welsh dad.

He signed a two year contract for RKC Waalwijk.

He played for Newcastle United in England and Kaiserlautern Amateure and Jahn Regensburg in Germany.

He was on trial, and impressed in a friendly versus amateur side UDI'19.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old April 6th, 2006, 14:01
International

Some news on Rob Friend. As some of you might now, the norwegian league starts this weekend and therefore the different coaches have rated the top 5 best strikers in the league:

1. Årst 23 poeng
2. Occean 13
3. Sæternes 11
4. Helstad 9
5. Friend 6
6. Fredheim Holm 4

Friend on 5, and Occean on second is also a canadian.

And here is the norwegian NT coach saying that Friend is irreplacable to Molde and their tactic. The article is in norwegian..

http://pub.tv2.no/nettavisen/fxt/article602798.ece
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old April 24th, 2006, 00:59 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Tks to Winnipeg Fury at Vs for headsup

Kelowna’s Rob Friend is climbing pro soccer’s ladder
Kelowna Capital News
Apr 21 2006
http://kelownacapnews.com/portals-co...d=633659&more=

Scanpix/contributor
Kelowna’s Rob Friend will play the 2006-07 soccer season in Heerenveen, Holland. The 25-year-old striker recently signed a five-year deal with the Dutch premier league team.

Two million Euros: Rob Friend is humbled that his soccer talents would warrant such an extravagant asking price.

More than 2.7 million Canadian dollars is just what Heerenveen of the Dutch premier league was willing to pay the Molde, Norway football club to acquire the services of the hard-nosed, 6 foot 4 striker from Kelowna.

“It’s still kind of hard to believe it,” said Friend, 25, from his home in Norway this week.

“It seems like a crazy amount of money for one player, but that’s the way the business is. They thought enough of me to spend that, now I need to face up to the challenge and repay them on the field.”

When Friend signed his name to a four-year contract—with a team option for a fifth—last month with Heerenveen, it marked yet another dramatic step in his evolution on the soccer pitch.

Heerenveen—a city of about 30,000—is traditionally one of the top teams in Holland’s elite men’s league with a history of producing star players and household names in Europe such as Ruud van Nistelrooy and Jon Dahl Tomasson.

The crowds are big, the money is good, and the soccer is just a step away from the big time—the premier leagues in England, Italy, Spain and Germany.
In Heerenveen—smack dab in the middle of soccer country—the team regularly sells out its 21,000-seat stadium.

And with an expansion project underway to push capacity to 27,000, Friend will find himself in a much broader spotlight than ever before on the pitch.
To Friend, none of it seemed a likely scenario even as recently as four or five years ago.

“It’s funny, when I started playing at Western Michigan (1999-2000) I hadn’t even planned on playing professional,” he said. “Things just started happening for me after that…I made all-American at Santa Barbara, just kept working hard and the opportunities came.

"I’ve been blessed and I feel pretty lucky to be where I am right now.”
After 1 1/2 seasons in Moss, Norway to launch his pro career, Friend jumped to Molde in 2004—the Norwegian premier league—where he quickly became one of the club’s most productive and reliable players.

Last year, Friend established himself as a force in Norway scoring 13 goals in 26 games, while playing an instrumental role in Molde winning the national championship. Edit: Cup title not national title

Heerenveen—traditionally one of the top four or five clubs in Holland—was in need of a striker, liked what they saw in Friend, and were quick to knock on Molde’s door.

And the Dutch premier club isn’t the only team taking a profound interest in his talents these days.

Frank Yallop and the Canadian men’s squad have summoned the services of Friend twice in the last two months, including playing his sixth cap at the beginning of March in Austria.

And while the national program and wearing red-and-white remains on his radar screen, Friend will be focusing his attention predominantly on satisfying his newest employer.

“It’s always something you strive for, to play for your country and I think with all the talent we have right now, it’s going to be a strong next few years for Canada.

"But at the end of the day, it’s the club that’s paying me I need to be committed to. As long as I’m playing well for them, scoring some goals and doing my job, the national team will come.”

Friend will finish out his commitment to Molde this July before joining Heerenveen for the start of the new season in August.

As for the next big step in his soccer career, Friend will try to meet it like every other challenge that has come his way in the past—head on.

“Of course it’s going to be harder and there’s going to be pressure. But I have to face up to it and do the job. I have an opportunity to play four or five years here and I think I have at least that much soccer left in me.

“Of course my goal eventually is to get to the Premier League maybe in England, or in Germany. But right now, I have to make sure to prove myself at this level.”

[email protected]
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old January 30th, 2007, 14:31
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Friend's joined Heracles Almelo on loan till the end of the season as he couldn't get a starting spot at Heerenveen where Alfonso Alves and Lasse Nilsson are forming a good partnership up front.

He'll be a starter for sure at Heracles as their strikers (Everton and Gluscevic) are currently injured anyway

John de Wolf “Dat is nou precies de aanjager, het ’etterbakkie’ in het veld dat Feyenoord in dit soort wedstrijden nodig heeft"

post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old September 16th, 2007, 16:08
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

A brace today for de Guzman in Feyenoords 1-3 win against Roda JC who usually are a tough nut to crack at their own ground

Especially de Guzman's first one was a beauty https://www.xtratime.org/forum/showthread.php?t=221665

post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old November 13th, 2007, 12:52 Thread Starter
Rising Star

De Jong summoned for South Africa friendly

De Jong summoned for South Africa friendly
Globe and Mail Update
November 12, 2007 at 7:46 PM EST
http://www.globesports.com/servlet/s...rtsSoccer/home

Uncapped midfielder Marcel de Jong will make the jump to the Canadian senior soccer side this month, but there is still no word on Jonathan de Guzman, another talented Canadian with citizenship options.

On Monday, Canadian coach Dale Mitchell named de Jong in his 17-man squad for a friendly against South Africa in Durban on Nov. 20. The 21-year-old plays for Roda JC in the Netherlands.

As for de Guzman, England's Sun and Daily Mail newspapers have reported that Chelsea is lining up an eight-million-pound (C$15.9 million) offer in January — when the transfer window reopens — for the 20-year-old, who has been turning heads with Feyenoord in the Netherlands. The Sun said de Guzman had been personally recommended to billionaire Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich by veteran Dutch coach Piet de Visser.

The Sun says de Visser brought the likes of Salomon Kalou, Mikel John Obi and Brazil's Alex to Chelsea' attention.

De Guzman, whose older brother Julian plays midfield for Spain's Deportivo La Coruna and Canada, has been in the Feyenoord system since he was 12.

"It's totally in Jonathan's camp," Mitchell said Monday. "Obviously some good things are happening with his career. There are rumours that are circulating.

"Our status, I think, is unchanged. It's a decision for Jonathan and his family and his people to decide what's best for him. We're obviously very interested in his services if they would become available to us."

The lure of playing for the Netherlands, ranked seventh in the world and which has been home for some eight years, will be hard to resist.

De Jong, who has both Canadian and Dutch citizenship, played for Mitchell in the 2005 FIFA U-20 World Cup and has some 20 caps for Canada at youth levels. But he apparently still had the Dutch option, because of his tender age.

"He was in a situation where he could have changed, due to the FIFA regulations," Mitchell said. "He technically could still have chosen Holland, although I think he would have had to have done it by his 21st birthday."

De Jong, who turned 21 on Oct. 15, was invited to one of the Dutch youth team camp's last year.

"We're pleased he's committed now to us," Mitchell said

Mitchell tried to call up de Jong for the August Iceland friendly but it did not work out.

Midfielder Dwayne De Rosario and goalkeeper Pat Onstad are unavailable because of this weekend's MLS Cup. Mitchell elected not to call up other MLS players because most have been out of action for a few weeks.

"The other side of the equation is that I don't get to see the European-based players as much as guys over here and I'm still at a stage where I'm looking and considering a number of players. So this is a good opportunity for them, given all of those things, and also the travel involved (to South Africa) for a North American-based player."

The MLS exception is Toronto FC goalkeeper Kenny Stamatopoulos.

Striker Rob Friend (Borussia Moenchengladbach) and defender-midfielder Daniel Imhof (Bochum) are not in the squad because their German clubs wanted to keep them, Mitchell said.

Veterans on the roster for the South Africa game include defenders Paul Stalteri (Tottenham, England), and Kevin McKenna (FC Koln, Germany), midfielder Julian de Guzman and striker Tomaz Radzinski (Skoda Xanthi, Greece)

Canada is currently ranked 51st in the world, compared to No. 83 for South Africa, host of the 2010 World Cup.

Mitchell and Canadian team manager Morgan Quarry will remain in South Africa after the game for the Nov. 25 World Cup qualifying draw.

Mitchell expects Canada to open qualifying next June with a home-and-away playoff series with the winner advancing in August to the 12-team CONCACAF semifinals, which will be split into three pools of four. The top two from each group will advance to the final round of qualifying in North and Central America and the Caribbean.

The top three countries will earn a berth in the World Cup with the fourth-place team taking on the fifth-place finisher in South America to see who joins them.

South Africa is using the Canada match, plus a Nov. 17 game against the U.S. and Nov. 27 outing against Lesotho to fine-tune its roster for the coming African Cup of Nations.

Coach Carlos Albert Parreira has saved his stars for the U.S. game with striker Benni McCarthy (Blackburn, England) and midfielder Steven Pienaar (Everton, England) and defender-midfielder Aaron Mokoena (Blackburn) excused from the Canada game.

There are 12 non-domestic-based South Africa players for the U.S. game, but only four for the Canada match.

———

Canada

Lars Hirschfeld, Rosenborg (Norway), Edmonton; Mike Klukowski, Club Brugge (Belgium), Oshawa, Ont.; Andre Hainault, FK SIAD Most (Czech Republic), Hudson, Que.; Kevin McKenna, FC Koln (Germany), Calgary; Julian De Guzman, Deportivo La Coruna (Spain), Toronto; Paul Stalteri, Tottenham Hotspur (England), Brampton, Ont.; Marcel de Jong, Roda JC (Netherlands), Newmarket, Ont.; Tomasz Radzinski Skoda Xanthi (Greece), Toronto; Olivier Occean, Lillestrom (Norway), Brossard, Que.; Richard Hastings, Inverness Caledonian Thistle, Vancouver; Issey Nakajima-Farran, FC Nordsjaelland (Denmark), Calgary; Atiba Hutchinson, FC Kopenhagen (Denmark), Brampton, Ont.; Josh Simpson, FC Kaiserslautern (Germany), Victoria, B.C.; Will Johnson, De Graafschap (Netherlands), Woodridge, Ill.; Iain Hume, Leicester City (England), Brampton, Ont.; Patrice Bernier, FC Kaiserslautern (Germany), Brossard, Que.; Kenny Stamatopoulos, Toronto FC (MLS), Markham, Ont.

Head Coach: Dale Mitchell.
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old November 13th, 2007, 15:03
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Nice to see McKenna back, even if just for a friendly.

Are Friend and Gerba hurt? We have one and a half strikers there; Occean and Hume is half a striker.

A VENCER DESDE 1893

Oh lampião, levaste 5 no Dragão, nunca te esquecerás desta grande humilhação!

16:01 kat
*little pillows wrestling is another thing Josh does, when he is drunk *
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old November 13th, 2007, 22:16 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua
Are Friend and Gerba hurt?
Read the article again re Friend and Imhof. Gerba is out of season.

Quote:
We have one and a half strikers there; Occean and Hume is half a striker.
You're forgetting Rad and Johnson could play there. Hell, even Stalteri early in his career has played there (although you won't see it now).

I'm also forgetting McKenna who probably has the highest strike rate for Canada and played frequently at striker for Canada and was almost scoring a goal a game.

And if we were really desperate we could thrown in the massage therapist, he would be good for a goal or two.

Last edited by Joe MacCarthy; November 13th, 2007 at 22:45.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in