Should Quebec have it's own International team? - Xtratime Community
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 47 (permalink) Old December 24th, 2005, 04:46 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Should Quebec have it's own International team?

I was just talking to my Canadian friend about the UK National Team argument currently and he said Duceppe (not sure who that is) wanted separete sports teams for Quebec and not be included with Canada, so its indeed like Wales is with England, etc. The idea seems cool to me, it would add another team to the region too. I just think it'd be neat. Has there been any official discussion of this?

Thanks Guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 (permalink) Old December 24th, 2005, 04:53
International

Teams: Albania, Red Bulls NY,
Its possible I guess. Though Quebec is probably not gonna have any players and thereby a crappy team.

DULCE ET DECORUM EST PRO PATRIA MORI

ILLYRICUM TOTO SUPERUS

RROFT SHQIPERIA
post #3 of 47 (permalink) Old December 24th, 2005, 07:36
Xtratime Legend

I doubt it'd happen, I mean, Catalonia can't have one and they have a huge amount of football swing in political terms. I can't see FIFA allowing Quebec to have its own team if they won't allow the much more powerful Catalans and Basque to have one.

post #4 of 47 (permalink) Old December 24th, 2005, 19:17
Forum Manager
Star Player

Teams: Toronto FC, Fiorentina, Barça
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesom-O
I was just talking to my Canadian friend about the UK National Team argument currently and he said Duceppe (not sure who that is) wanted separete sports teams for Quebec and not be included with Canada, so its indeed like Wales is with England, etc. The idea seems cool to me, it would add another team to the region too. I just think it'd be neat. Has there been any official discussion of this?
Gilles Duceppe is the leader of a Quebec political party that advocates, among other things, independence for Quebec from the rest of Canada. His remarks about sports teams were made in the context of a federal election campaign that is currently going on in Canada. There was a brief flurry of discussion in the English Canadian media (mostly about hockey, since some of Canada's best hockey players are from Quebec), but then the issue died a natural death.

That was a couple of weeks ago. It's no longer being talked about in English Canada. That's because nobody really takes it very seriously.

As for soccer, Quebec would not be able to field a competitive international team at the present time. Hell, Canada can't even do that!
post #5 of 47 (permalink) Old December 24th, 2005, 20:24
BANNED!
Legend

Teams: Argentina, Russia, Greece, Israel, Czech Republic
Yes.
post #6 of 47 (permalink) Old December 25th, 2005, 02:40 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Canada is a great country, I think it'd be cool to see Quebec as their own team, still apart of Canada though. Then they could have special occasions after awhile where the two teams can play as one country. How is Canadian soccer looking nowadays anyway? I wish you guys were a powerhouse in CONCACAF, it'd be nice to see the US, Mex, and Canada all in the World Cup on a normal basis. Maybe next time.

post #7 of 47 (permalink) Old December 25th, 2005, 08:22
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Crosses too hard
umm maybe in hockey, not football...

Istanbul United

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0m72FBbuhg

Tayyip at Rize expanding on his plans for the Olympics in 2020 “Kadınlara ayrı, erkeklere ayrı olimpik havuz yapacağız”

Bravo to the dumbest leader on earth. :shakepalm:
post #8 of 47 (permalink) Old December 25th, 2005, 16:25
Star Player

Teams: FC Parma and Toronto FC
If Canada has barely enough players altogether to be competitive in most of the soccer matches it plays, how on earth would Quebec?

C'mon, lets be real people!

"I am happy the side survived, because this team is the shining jewel in a city that is symbolic of culture, politeness and civility. I hoped with all my heart that Parma would stay in Serie A, for this outfit and all of Italian football.

(Arrigo Sacchi)
post #9 of 47 (permalink) Old December 26th, 2005, 03:09 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucaGol
If Canada has barely enough players altogether to be competitive in most of the soccer matches it plays, how on earth would Quebec?

C'mon, lets be real people!
That hardly matters, countries like Luxembourg and Liechtenstein still have soccer teams. By possibly creating Quebec as a FIFA team, maybe it would want to make more kids to start playing soccer. I just think it would be a neat thing to see develop.
post #10 of 47 (permalink) Old December 26th, 2005, 07:19
Forum Manager
Star Player

We don't have any problem getting kids to play soccer, in Quebec or the rest of Canada. In fact, soccer is Canada's Number One amateur sport.
post #11 of 47 (permalink) Old December 26th, 2005, 15:29
Star Player

Teams: FC Parma and Toronto FC
So let me get this straight...we can't qualify for the World Cup with the team that we DO have...and you think it would be cool to fragment the talent pool even more?

You know what you'll have then?...2 teams not qualifying for the WC instead of one.

"I am happy the side survived, because this team is the shining jewel in a city that is symbolic of culture, politeness and civility. I hoped with all my heart that Parma would stay in Serie A, for this outfit and all of Italian football.

(Arrigo Sacchi)
post #12 of 47 (permalink) Old January 8th, 2006, 16:55
Premier Player

Teams: Canada, Ireland, Tottenham Hotspur, FC Brasov
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesom-O
That hardly matters, countries like Luxembourg and Liechtenstein still have soccer teams. By possibly creating Quebec as a FIFA team, maybe it would want to make more kids to start playing soccer. I just think it would be a neat thing to see develop.
I think you are missing the point that "Quebec is not a separate country". Luxembourg and Liechtenstein are.
The only way Quebec would get their own team is if they actually became independant. IF that EVER happens, , then we can have a serious discussion about it, but I can't see it happening anytime soon.
It would be like saying let's have California starting their own team separate from the United States (based on having 3 MLS teams last season), it would never happen.

Last edited by GreatWhiteNorth; January 8th, 2006 at 17:00.
post #13 of 47 (permalink) Old January 8th, 2006, 20:44
Forum Manager
Star Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorth
I think you are missing the point that "Quebec is not a separate country". Luxembourg and Liechtenstein are.
I think you are missing the point that was made earlier, that Scotland and Wales have separate teams, even though they are not separate countries, so it's not out of the question that FIFA could allow Quebec to have its own team. That's not likely to happen anytime soon, of course, if ever, and I am not in any way suggesting that it would be a good idea.
post #14 of 47 (permalink) Old January 8th, 2006, 21:43
Premier Player

But if you look back in history, Scotland and Wales were separate countries. I am not sure about when Wales came under the crown, but Scotland was independant until the Act of Union in (I think) 1707. Quebec has never been an independant nation. I think that is the reason that FIFA gave those nations their unique status. Northern Ireland was also part of the Irish nation proper until around the 16th or 17th century.
post #15 of 47 (permalink) Old January 8th, 2006, 21:54
Forum Manager
Star Player

Well, if you want to argue history, Quebec was a French colony until it was conquered by England in 1759. But what this has to do with FIFA I don't know.

My point of course was that you don't necessarily have to be at present a separate country to have a FIFA-recognized team.
post #16 of 47 (permalink) Old January 8th, 2006, 22:00
Premier Player

But it was never independant of France. However I will drop the argument because this could go on for a long time and is going off the topic of soccer.
post #17 of 47 (permalink) Old January 9th, 2006, 00:44
Premier Player

Teams: celtic and winnipeg jets
au contrare.....scotland IS an independant country. the term "united" kingdom implies just that. scotland has their own parliment as well, granted i couldnt tell you what the hell they do, but a seperate country it is.
post #18 of 47 (permalink) Old January 9th, 2006, 00:59
International

thats like asking if Bangladesh should have its own national team.

Actually no it isnt. Quebec should stfu and remain part of Canada.
post #19 of 47 (permalink) Old January 9th, 2006, 15:10
Star Player

Teams: Real Madrid, Real Valladolid, Toronto FC
Not sure how it works for other sports, but I think Quebec can have a seperate national team, however it would not be able to compete in actual qualifiers. They could only have exhibition games. For example Catalonia and the Pais Vasco both have national teams that have even played against Brazil. However, they have always been friendly matches. Unless the region is recognized as it's own independant nation, I'm pretty sure Fifa doesn't allow it.

Viva Real Madrid y España!
post #20 of 47 (permalink) Old January 9th, 2006, 15:12
Xtratime Elite

would be funny. a squad with more french names than the french one.

I strictly have nothing to say but I want that comes out.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in