LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old August 24th, 2005, 20:45 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Spain v. Canada friendly, September 3

Men's World Cup Team
Wednesday, August 24, 2005
Yallop Announces Roster for Friendly vs Spain

http://www.canadasoccer.com/eng/medi...?Press_ID=2297

Ottawa, Ontario - Canadian Men’s National Team head coach Frank Yallop today named his 18-player roster for the upcoming international friendly against Spain on Saturday, September 3. The game will be played in Santander with a 9:45 p.m. kickoff (local time).

"This is another big game for us," said Yallop. "You want to measure yourself against the top teams in the World and obviously Spain are a soccer power. It will be good to get together again so soon after the Gold Cup and to have a few days to prepare for what will be a real challenge for us but one we are eagerly looking forward to."

Yallop continues to use friendlies as an opportunity to see different players and the Spain game is no exception with midfielder Rocco Placentino earning his first senior call-up. A member of Canada’s last Olympic team, Placentino moved in the off-season from Italian Serie C side Cavese to Serie B’s Arezzo, who subsequently sent him on loan to Gualdo in Serie C.

Yallop has also recalled goalkeeper Kenny Stamatopoulos from Swedish side FC Boden. He will be joined by goalkeeper Josh Wagenaar, who played for Canada at the FIFA World Youth Championships in Holland in June.

Defender Marco Reda returns to the squad for the first time since the Portugal game in March, as does striker Tomasz Radzinski and defender Mike Klukowski. Midfielder Julian de Guzman, who moved to Spanish side Deportivo La Coruna from Germany’s Hannover 96 in the off-season, has also been selected.

Several members of Yallop’s 2005 Gold Cup squad will also be involved - they include striker Ali Gerba, who was transferred from the Montreal Impact to Swedish side Sundsvall; Impact defender Adam Braz, captain Kevin McKenna who returned to German Bundesliga side Energie Cottbus in the summer; Tromso midfielder Patrice Bernier, Helsingborg’s Atiba Hutchinson, San Jose Earthquakes striker Dwayne de Rosario, Millwall’s Adrian Serioux and Josh Simpson and Ipswich midfielder Jaime Peters who made his debut earlier this season.

Defender/midfielder Ante Jazic, who has been sidelined with a number of injuries since World Cup Qualifying last year, is fit again and has also been selected from Russian side FC Kuban.

The squad will gather in Madrid on Monday, August 29 and practice at the Spanish Federation training facility before flying to Santander on September 1.

Canadian Roster For International Friendly vs Spain

# Player Pos. DOB Caps G/S Club Hometown
1 Stamatopoulos, Kenny GK 8/28/79 1 0 FC Boden, Sweden Markham, ON
22 Wagenaar, Joshua GK 2/26/85 0 0 Hartwick College, NCAA Grimsby, ON
2 Braz, Adam D 6/07/81 5 0 Montreal Impact, USL St. Laurent, QC
3 Klukowski, Mike D/M 5/27/81 5 0 FC Brugge, Belgium Oshawa, ON
4 McKenna, Kevin D 1/21/80 30 9 Energie Cottbus, Germany Calgary, AB
5 Reda, Marco D 6/22/77 2 0 Aalborg, Denmark Toronto, ON
6 de Guzman, Julian M 3/25/81 14 0 Deportivo La Coruna, Spain Scarborough
7 Bernier, Patrice M 9/23/79 12 0 Tromso, Norway Montreal, QC
8 Serioux, Adrian M 5/12/79 6 0 Millwall, League Championship Scarborough
9 Radzinski, Tomasz F 12/14/73 27 7 Fulham, English Premier Toronto, ON
10 Gerba, Ali F 7/27/82 4 1 Sundsvall, Sweden Montréal, QC
11 Jazic, Ante D 2/26/76 12 0 FC Kuban, Russia Halifax, NS
12 Grande, Sandro M 9/29/77 8 0 Viking Stavanger, Norway Montreal, QC
13 Hutchinson, Atiba D/M 2/08/83 16 2 Helsingborg, Sweden Brampton, ON
14 de Rosario, Dwayne M/F 5/15/78 33 7 San Jose Earthquakes, MLS Scarborough, ON
15 Simpson, Josh D/M 5/15/83 11 0 Millwall, League Championship Victoria, BC
16 Placentino, Rocco M 2/25/82 0 0 Arezzo, Serie B (Italy) Montreal, QC
17 Peters, Jaime M 5/04/87 11 0 Ipswich Town, League Champ. Pickering, ON

Staff
Angus Barrett - Head of Delegation
Frank Yallop - Head Coach
Dale Mitchell - Assistant Coach
Stephen Hart - Assistant Coach
Morgan Quarry - Team Manager
Victor Mendes - Equipment Manager
Ted Tilbury - Physiotherapist
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old August 24th, 2005, 20:47 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Have to say I'm a little disappointed. Just when we are starting to get some familiarity and depth we have changes at the back again. Where are Greg and Lars? Interesting to see Braz. He's probably there as cover and hopefully will have some people see him.

Wonder if Larry is injured? Also I thought Reda and Grande weren't getting much playing time (not sure though) Fernandes must not be on the radar at all to call the other two goalies.

Jimmy B off the radar?
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old August 24th, 2005, 21:51
Premier Player

Teams: Macedonia, Lazio, Valencia
A great friend of mine is on the team Kenny. Very happy to see him in the team. We played together as kids for about 5 years. As well I played with Mike for the provincial team back in 95. As well I should know Serioux, Adrian but I dont. He is my age and is from the same city as me. Unless he left long time ago I should know him. Any pictures or info on him. Thanks
Take Care

People that should be in Bardovci before they come back to xtratime
1. Parni Valjak
2. Mihajlovic
3. Ero
4. HajdukSplit
5. Benny
6. lili

MACEDONIA FOR THE MACEDONIANS!!!

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old August 25th, 2005, 02:05 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Canada finds itself short on goalies

Canada finds itself short on goalies
By NEIL DAVIDSON

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Soccer/Can...186604-cp.html

TORONTO (CP) - Canada used to suffer from a glut of top soccer goalies. Now manager Frank Yallop finds himself turning to a 'keeper with just one international cap against the team rated eighth in the world.

Kenny Stamatopoulos is expected to start for Canada against mighty Spain in Santander on Sept. 3. His lone international appearance at the senior level came in a 2-1 loss to Malta in November 2001 - 33 matches ago.

The 25-year-old from Markham, Ont., has been the Canadian backup several times. He plays his club football for FC Boden in Sweden,

Nothing against Stamatopoulos but Yallop has a few goalies missing in action.

The Canadian manager, mindful of the Montreal Impact's schedule, agreed to leave first-choice 'keeper Greg Sutton with his USL club.

Instead of Spain's Raul or Fernando Morientes, Sutton will be facing the Rochester Raging Rhinos, Vancouver Whitecaps and Minnesota Thunder. Rochester and Vancouver are the USL-leading Impact's closest rivals.

Lars Hirschfeld, the former Canadian No. 1 whose uncertain club status in recent months has cost him at the international level, elected to stay with Tromso, the Norwegian club he joined recently.

"He just got there, so I understand his point of view," Yallop said. "He wants to get his club career going and I agree with him. It's just I would have loved to have him in for this game. But I can understand his rationale."

Vancouver Whitecaps 'keeper Mike Franks, Sutton's backup at the Gold Cup, is injured. And veteran Pat Onstad is no longer in the international picture.

Yallop admitted it would have been good to bring the 37-year-old Onstad in for the Spain match. "But it's a one-off," he said of the injury situation. "I think everybody should be available for the next games."

Stamatopoulos' backup for the Spain game will be 20-year-old Josh Wagenaar, Canada's starter at the under-20 championships earlier this year.

"It's a chance now for Kenny to play," Yallop said Wednesday from Vancouver. "And Josh, who's done very, very well for the under-20s, he gets a chance to play against the big boys.

"I'm excited for those two to get a chance. And I'm trying to get through as many guys as possible. Sometimes, it's a blessing in disguise when players are not available. Other guys get their chance."

Yallop has called up 18 players for the game against Spain, including strikers Tomasz Radzinski (Fulham, England), Dwayne De Rosario (San Jose, MLS) and Ali Gerba (Sundsvall, Sweden).

He opted not to summon strikers Iain Hume (Tranmere, England) and Olivier Occean (Odd Grenland, Norway) to ensure no one gets left on the bench. Hume and Occean will get their chance the next international, against No. 155 Luxembourg on Nov. 16.

Yallop has recalled midfielder Ante Jazic (FC Kuban, Russia) and given a chance to uncapped midfielder Rocco Placentino (Arezzo, Italy). Julian de Guzman (Deportivo La Coruna, Spain) is also in the squad.

With Jazic and fellow midfielder Mike Klukowski (FC Brugge, Belgium) in the squad for the Spain game, Yallop elected to leave Jim Brennan at Norwich until the Luxembourg contest.

Fullback Paul Stalteri, who has drawn good reviews starting both of Spurs' English Premier League games this season, is another who is given the Spain game off but will be back for Luxembourg.

Yallop said he had considered calling in forwards Rob Friend (Molde, Norway) and Stephen Ademolo (Tromso) but decided against it because he did not want to have too many new faces in the Spain squad.

As it is, the roster is green. Nine of the 18 have less than eight caps and only three (De Rosario, Radzinski and Kevin McKenna) have more than 20.

Defender Gabe Gervais (Montreal Impact) was unavailable through injury.

The team will gather in Madrid on Monday and practise at the Spanish national training facility before flying to Santander on Sept. 1.

The Spanish are using the Canadian game as a tuneup for a crucial World Cup qualifying match four days later against Serbia and Montenegro. Spain (3-0-4, 13 points) holds a one-point edge over Serbia and Montenegro (3-0-3) in European Group 7.

With Canada ranked 84th in the world and Spain at No. 8, what can the Canadians hope to do in terms of results?

"We just want to perform well at this point," said Yallop. "We can't expect to go out there and say we're going to beat Spain. But who knows? Football's funny."
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old August 25th, 2005, 02:11 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makedonec vo TO
A great friend of mine is on the team Kenny. Very happy to see him in the team. We played together as kids for about 5 years. As well I played with Mike for the provincial team back in 95. As well I should know Serioux, Adrian but I dont. He is my age and is from the same city as me. Unless he left long time ago I should know him. Any pictures or info on him. Thanks
Take Care
Serioux had one of the all time great debuts at Millwall but the bloom seems to have gone off the rose since. Millwall is in last place early in the season. Adrian is known for his jumbo throw-ins and after last week his goalkeeping.

The goalie was ejected in the first half, and there was no backup on the bench. Adrian played the second half in goal and did well. Milwall lost 5-0 and Adrian let in only one goal.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old August 25th, 2005, 03:05
Premier Player

HA HA Joe thats a nice story. I went on to read more about him and found out I dont know him or even played vs him. I think he played a year up on me.

1. Parni Valjak
2. Mihajlovic
3. Ero
4. HajdukSplit
5. Benny
6. lili

post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old August 25th, 2005, 03:11
Forum Manager
Star Player

Teams: Toronto FC, Fiorentina, Barça
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makedonec vo TO
Any pictures or info on him. Thanks
Take Care
Pic and profile of Adrian Serioux.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old August 27th, 2005, 19:21
Forum Manager
Star Player

There appears to be no TV coverage of this match in Canada.

Am I wrong?
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old August 28th, 2005, 17:09
Premier Player

Teams: celtic and winnipeg jets
im sure sportsnet will cover this game. have no worries.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old August 28th, 2005, 19:59
Forum Manager
Star Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by lions67
im sure sportsnet will cover this game. have no worries.
I don't see it on their schedule!
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old August 30th, 2005, 05:20
Premier Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff
Thanks Jeff!!! Just got back from Boston so I had no chance to see the post.
By the way I dont think they will show the Canada game. They would have said something by now.
Take Care

1. Parni Valjak
2. Mihajlovic
3. Ero
4. HajdukSplit
5. Benny
6. lili

post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old August 30th, 2005, 14:32
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
Legend

Teams: Swiss bikini team
i pick canada to win :thmbup:
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old August 31st, 2005, 17:24 Thread Starter
Rising Star

This was mentioned earlier but was not officially confirmed until now

Tks to Christian B at Vs

I just got this e-mail:

Hello all,
You recently emailed us regarding the upcoming Canada/Spain soccer match. We have been able to get the broadcasting rights for that match on tape delay. It will air at 11:30 pm (ET) on Sportsnet East and Sportsnet Ontario on Thursday September 8. It will air at midnight (MT) on Sportsnet West and midnight (PT) on Sportsnet Pacific the morning of Friday September 9. I hope this helps.

Sincerely,
Jim LaChapelle
Audience Relations
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old August 31st, 2005, 22:01
Premier Player

Hey Joe better then nothing. Thanks for the info.

1. Parni Valjak
2. Mihajlovic
3. Ero
4. HajdukSplit
5. Benny
6. lili

post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old September 1st, 2005, 06:04
Star Player

Teams: whitecaps juve chelsea canada
yeah at least we can see it. Seems like there is zero coverage of the match in north america....well Canada or the USA at least. I assume Mexican TV of some sort will carry it.
http://www.soccertv.com/spain.cfm

\/\/
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old September 2nd, 2005, 22:10 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Standing on guard
Canucks prepare for Spanish
By NEIL DAVIDSON

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Soccer/Can...199934-cp.html

Canada's national selection players work out during a training session in Torrelavega, Spain, Thursday Sept. 1, 2005, for an upcoming friendly soccer match against Spain. (AP Photo/Juan Manuel Serrano)

(CP) - Spain has turned to Real Madrid and Liverpool for its big money goalies for Saturday's friendly soccer game in Santander on Saturday.

Canada turned to FC Boden for Kenny Stamatopoulos. For those who don't follow Sweden's second-tier league, Boden is some 750 kilometres northeast of Stockholm near the Finnish border and Stamatopoulos has one Canadian cap - actually 45 minutes worth - to his credit.

But ask Stamatopoulos about star Spanish goalies Iker Casillas (Madrid) and Jose Manuel Reina (Liverpool) and the 26-year-old from Markham, Ont., brushes aside any David versus Goliath talk.

"We know what kind of team Spain is," Stamatopoulos said from the Canadian team hotel. "We just have to focus on ourselves. We can't focus too much about the superstars and their names.

"Obviously it's an exciting game to play. Everyone would love to play this kind of game. You've just got to look at it as an ordinary game, I guess."

But eighth-ranked Spain is anything but ordinary with a star-studded roster full of familiar names: Raul Gonzalez and Michel Salgado (Real Madrid), Carlos Puyol (Barcelona), Xabi Alonso, Luis Garcia and Fernando Morientes (Liverpool) and Asier Del Horneo (Chelsea) to name a few.

And Spain has a reason to take the game very seriously. Four days later, the Spaniards take on Serbia and Montenegro in a crucial World Cup qualifying game. Spain (3-0-4) holds a one-point edge over the Serbs (3-0-3) in Group 7.

Stamatopoulos got the call from Canadian manager Frank Yallop in part because the Montreal Impact asked to hang on to No. 1 Greg Sutton for help during their final drive in the USL season.

Former No. 1 Lars Hirschfeld elected to stay with his new club Tromso in Norway. Plus Mike Franks of the Vancouver Whitecaps was injured.

Enter Stamatopoulos, plus former Canadian under-20 'keeper Josh Wagenaar.

Ask Stamatopoulos about his debut for Canada and it's all a little fuzzy.

"I can't remember when it was, 2002 or 2003?"

November 2001, he is reminded.

"Was it?," he said incredulously. "Oh my."

Stamatopoulos came in for the second half of a friendly in Malta, replacing Hirschfeld. It was 1-1 at the time.

Winning his first cap was fun. The result wasn't as Canada lost 2-1.

That was 33 Canadian internationals ago. Stamatopoulos has been invited to camps and served as a backup since, but has not seen any action.

He has wondered why, pointing to games against the Czech Republic and Ireland just three days apart in November 2003. Stamatopoulos was backup to Hirschfeld.

"I didn't get involved at all, which I though I should have," he said.

And he acknowledges be thought he may not be wanted, "because I haven't been called for a while.

"So it was a surprise to me, a delightful surprise to tell you the truth."

Since his national team debut, Stamatopoulos left Kalamata in Greece for Scandinavia and Nykoping in 2003. He enjoyed his new club, which was just 20 minutes from Stockholm. But the team was relegated twice, ending up in the third tier of Swedish soccer division, and he was loaned to Boden, which is one level above.

"They just couldn't afford me," he said.

Boden is small and very north, but very beautiful in the summer, he says. He also enjoys the soccer although the Swedish game is more direct - more long balls, more physical than he was used to in Greece.

His future is up in the air with just six months left on his Nykoping deal after this season. There is some interest in Greece.

Notes: Canadian defender Marco Reda is hurt and did not make the trip to Spain. The Canadian team has not replaced him ... Canada is ranked 84th in the world.
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old September 3rd, 2005, 22:39 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Canada vs Spain (R)

Spain 2 Canada 1

1-0: Tamudo (7')
2-0: Morientes (69')

2-1: Grande (72')

Sounds like Canada played fairly well especially second half.
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old September 4th, 2005, 00:17 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Spain defeats Canada 2-1 in soccer friendly in Santander

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Soccer/200...201209-cp.html

Spain's Sergio Ramos, right, jumps above Canada's Mike Klukowski during an international soccer match at the Sardinero stadium in Santander, Spain Saturday. (AP/EFE, Esteban Cobo)

SANTANDER, Spain (CP) - Raul Tamudo and Fernando Morientes scored Saturday as Spain defeated Canada 2-1 in a soccer friendly.

Midfielder Sandro Grande of Montreal accounted for the Canadian goal in the 74th minute, with Spain up 2-0. Grande took the ball about 20 yards out and bent it into the top right corner.

As in the 4-1 loss to Portugal in March, the Canadians gave up an early goal as Tamudo scored on a header in the seventh minute off an Albert Luque cross. Morientes added a second in the 70th minute into an empty net when goalie Kenny Stamatopoulos failed to get Ivan De La Pena's through pass for Raul Gonzalez.

Despite the loss, manager Frank Yallop saw plenty of positives.

"We got one great goal from Sandro and we could have had at least one more to even it up," he said. "But I'm really proud of the guys and happy with the overall performance."

Spain is ranked eighth in the world, compared to No. 84 for Canada, and started several non-regulars but brought on some big guns - Morientes, Raul Gonzalez, Joaquin Sanchez and Xabi Alonso - as the game wore on.

"It's an amazing squad they've got," said Yallop. "Our guys really dug in, hung in there for a little bit and started to play their football. Basically we played very well and the crowd was appreciative of it and they were pleased for us."

Midfielder Rocco Placentino of Montreal won his first cap for Canada, coming on as a substitute and had a good scoring chance.

The Spaniards were using the game as a warmup for a key World Cup qualifier against Serbia and Montenegro on Wednesday. Serbia (4-0-3) holds a two-point edge over Spain (3-0-4) after defeating Lithuania 2-0 Saturday.

Canada's next game is against Luxembourg in November.

Last edited by Joe MacCarthy; September 4th, 2005 at 03:14.
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old September 4th, 2005, 00:36
Star Player

Good to hear. This is a positive step, I hope the first of many.
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old September 4th, 2005, 03:28 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Men's World Cup Team
Saturday, September 03, 2005
Canada Earns Respect In 2-1 Loss To Spain

http://www.canadasoccer.com/eng/medi...?Press_ID=2308

Canada´s Men´s World Cup team turned in one of their most impressive performances in Europe in recent years in suffering a 2-1 loss to Spain in an international friendly in Santander, Spain, Saturday.

Sandro Grande scored a memorable goal in the 71st minute to reduce a two-goal deficit and reward the visitors for their play. Grande pounced on a poor clearance and hammered a side footed shot past Spanish (and Liverpool)goalkeeper Reina and into the far corner.

"I am delighted with our performance tonight," said Canadian head coach Frank Yallop. "It proves to me that we can play with the best teams when we have correct preparation and the players have not had to travel a long way. We decided to go after them and I was really impressed with our overall play. We took on one of the best teams in the World and did ourselves proud."

Spain, ranked no. 6 in the FIFA World Rankings, opened the scoring in the 7th minute when striker Tamudo beat Canadian goalkeeper Kenny Stamatopoulos with a free header off a deep cross into the box.

The Canadians enjoyed a good spell before halftime and they almost found the equalizer when Tomasz Radzinski, who was electric all night, pulled off an impressive strike from a Patrice Bernier corner which Reina did well to save. The rebound fell to Dwayne de Rosario who blazed his shot over the bar.

The Spanish, realizing they had a game on their hands prior to their crucial World Cup Qualifier against Serbia and Montenegro on Wednesday, brought in Xabi Alonso, Raul, Morientes, Xavi, Vicente and Joaquin.

Morientes gave the home team a 2-0 lead in the 69th minute when he gathered a loose ball and chipped it into the open Canadian goal.

After their goal, the Canadians pressed for more and came close on two ocassions. Grande played de Rosario in late in the game and the San Jose Earthquake player almost netted the equalizer but his fierce strike hit the side netting.

With only minutes left in the game, substitute Rocco Placentino found himself inside the box with the ball on his favoured left foot. His shot just missed the far post low to Reina´s right and the hosts breathed a sigh of relief.

Canada also looked to have had two legitimate penalty calls ignored by referee Claude Colombo. The first was an obvious hand ball in the area in the first half while the second chanec occurred when de Rosario appeared to be hauled down while trying to get to a Radzinski cross.

The Canadians earned a great deal of respect from their hosts by playing an attacking 4-3-3 formation with Tomasz Radzinski, Ali Gerba and Dwayen de Rosario spearheading the attack. Bernier, Julian de Guzman and Adrian Seroiux formed the midfield with the back four comprising Mike Klukowski at left back with Kevin McKenna and Atiba Hutchinson in the middle and Adam Braz at right back.

Josh Simpson came on for Gerba in the 66th minute, Grande came on for Bernier and Placentino subbed in for de Rosario.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in