Hume to Wigan? No, Leicester! - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old August 14th, 2005, 01:34 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Hume to Wigan? No, Leicester!

After I posted this yesterday at another site...

I've been getting a bad feeling about Hume. He's been at Tranmere for too long and he should be making a move. Had a chance to go to Wednesday but apparently didn't like the salary they were offering. Nevertheless he's gotta get out of League One. We can only keep saying "he's still young" for so long.

Spursfan at Vs today posts this rumour

Hume Set For Wigan And Rejoin Taylor
Total Tranmere .co.uk Our News, Your Views
http://www.sportnetwork.net/main/s383/st79203.htm
By Quayle - August 13 2005

Wigan seem to be happy to snap up Tranmere's star players, as they now look to replace Nathan Ellington, so they look to Rovers to help them out. They are hot on the heels of Canadian star, Iain Hume. A region of 1,000,000 is rumoured to have been made.

Premiership newcomers, Wigan Athletic already have one Tranmere starlet on their books now in Ryan Taylor, but apparently have come in for Canadian striker Iain Hume.

Hume has already attracted the attention of Sunderland and Sheffield Wednesday this summer, and reports have surfaced that he is unhappy and has sacked his agent.

Wigan are believed to have made an offer of 1,000,000. But this sum is likely to be in installments, a lot like Ryan Taylor.

Hume seems to be a replacement for the imminent departure of striker Nathan Ellington, who is likely to move to West Bromwich Albion for 3,000,000.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old August 31st, 2005, 15:50 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Tks to Can. in UK at Vs

Leicester agree Hume deal
by Graeme Bailey - created on 31 Aug 2005

http://skysports.planetfootball.com/...l=championship

Leicester have agreed a deal with Tranmere for striker Iain Hume.

The Canadian international is now in talks with The Foxes, after a deal - which could be worth up to 750,000 - was struck by the clubs.

Leicester, who are selling striker David Connolly to Wigan, have already sealed a deal for Elvis Hammond from Fulham - who had been on loan at the club, and now they look set to follow this up with the purchase of Hume.

"During my time here Iain has done very well and despite interest from other clubs we have managed to keep him," said Rovers boss Brian Little - who himself landed Delroy Facey from Oldham on Wednesday.

"However, in recent months Iain and his representatives have made it fairly clear that if an offer came through from a club in a higher league, he would be very interested to go."
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old August 31st, 2005, 18:28 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Confirmed

Hume Completes City Move

http://www.lcfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page...07401,00.html?

Leicester City have today completed the signing of Iain Hume from Tranmere Rovers for a fee that could rise to 750,000.

The 21-year-old striker has become one of the most sought after players outside the Championship following an impressive start to his career at Prenton Park.

And the Foxes have beaten off competition from a number of rivals to secure the signature of the Canadian international forward.

Hume was a member of the Tranmere first team at the tender age of 16, and enjoyed his best goalscoring season to date last term - bagging 16 goals.

The Edinburgh-born marksman arrived at the Walkers Stadium on Wednesday afternoon to discuss personal terms and complete his medical. He has signed a contract that will keep him at the club until June 2008.

City boss Craig Levein said: "We are delighted to have been able to sign Iain. He is a player that we have been watching for some time now, but we always thought he was out of our price range. We were able to use some of the money from David Connolly's move to Wigan to secure Iain's signature.

"He is a young player and fits into the profile of the squad. I am excited that we managed to capture him ahead of other interested clubs."

Hume becomes Craig Levein's most expensive capture to date - and will join up with his new team-mates for the first time when they return from a two-day break to training on Thursday.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old August 31st, 2005, 22:20
Forum Manager
Star Player

Teams: Toronto FC, Fiorentina, Bara
Oh, this is excellent news. Thanks, Joe!

Another link

Last edited by Jeff; September 3rd, 2005 at 00:47.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old September 1st, 2005, 05:54
Star Player

Teams: whitecaps juve chelsea canada
nice move. Probably better than going to Wigan/EPL right now and not having a decent team around him at that level. I assume Leicester City will have a pretty good team for the english 2nd div/whatever its called this year.

\/\/
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old September 5th, 2005, 05:16 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Former Foxes Aid Hume Switch

Former Foxes Aid Hume Switch

http://www.lcfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page...708204,00.html

New signing Iain Hume said joining Leicester was easy after speaking to Brian Little and Ricky Hill.

Former City boss Little is now in charge at Tranmere Rovers, following spells at Aston Villa, Stoke, West Brom and Hull City, while Hill, who had a spell at Filbert Street as a player in the early 90s, is his assistant at Prenton Park.

And Hume confirmed the duo couldn't speak highly enough of Leicester when he was pondering the move.

He said: "Brian Little told me that Leicester were an unbelievable club and he said he'd spent the best three years of his management career there. I also spoke to Ricky Hill, the assistant manager at Tranmere, who is from Leicester. He also had a lot of good things to say about the club and the area and that helped to make up my mind."

Hume's arrival followed the departure of David Connolly to Wigan, and he is now looking forward to getting his head down and winning the vacant spot in the City attack.

He added: "There is a place up for grabs and I intend to do my best to fill it. It's up to me now to prove myself to the manager ahead of the Sheffield Wednesday game."

Comparisons to former City striker Paul Dickov have already been made, and the 21-year-old agreed that he was a similar player.

He added: "I am small so I have got to be tenacious. I like to play football. Hopefully, if I am involved against Sheffield Wednesday, I will be able to show people what I can do."

There is a little bit of everything in the accent of City's most recent acquisition - which he revealed comes from his interesting upbringing.

He said: "I was born in Scotland but we moved over to Canada when I was really young. I lived there for 15 years so everything I know is Canadian and that's where my heart lies.

"I have been at Tranmere for six years so my accent is a bit mixed up. But I am sure that after a year or so here it will turn into an East Midlands accent."
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old September 6th, 2005, 00:32
Star Player

Congrats Hume.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old September 7th, 2005, 07:52
Star Player

Teams: whitecaps juve chelsea canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe MacCarthy
He said: "I was born in Scotland but we moved over to Canada when I was really young. I lived there for 15 years so everything I know is Canadian and that's where my heart lies.

Nice to hear from a promising player! All the best, Ian.

\/\/

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in