Capacity - 13,500 expandable to 17,000
Surface - Turf
Corporate boxes - 20
Distance from sidelines - 3.5m
Dressing rooms - 6
Practice fields - 3
Indoor fields - 1 in 2007
Cost - 15 million

MONTREAL, May 4, 2005 – The Montreal Impact will have a new home. The Saputo Stadium, a 13,500-seat stadium, will open its doors in the actual Technoparc and will be part of a larger sport complex designed specifically for soccer: the Complexe Place du Public.The news was confirmed at a press conference, Wednesday, by Montreal Impact president, Joey Saputo, the mayor of Montreal, Gérald Tremblay, the mayor of the Burrough of Sud-Ouest, Jacqueline Montpetit, and Mr. Lino Saputo.

“The Impact’s primary mission has always been to develop soccer in Quebec. But to continue to progress, we had to innovate for the future, ” said Montreal Impact president, Joey Saputo. “With a lack of fields on the territory, the need for high-level installations on the island of Montreal and a Claude-Robillard Stadium that was getting smaller and smaller, we had to find an innovative solution to accommodate the sport in order to ensure its development.”

Located north of the Bonaventure autoroute and south of the downtown area, the Complexe Place du Public will have an overall surface area of 1.6 million square feet and will be entirely financed by private funds to the cost of 15 million dollars. The Saputo family announced they will donate 7.5 million dollars in the project.

“I’m extremely proud of the Complexe Place du Public, declared Mr. Lino Saputo. “For my family and me this project is an ideal opportunity to give something back to the community that has supported us so outstandingly since the founding of our company in 1954. I’m already enjoying the prospect of soccer players, young ones as well as older ones, practicing their favourite sport in these high-level facilities.”

The new complex will have three soccer fields that will be available for regional soccer clubs and associations. The stadium, which could be expanded to 17,000 seats, could also host regional, provincial, national or international soccer competitions.

The Complexe Place du Public will be managed by a non-profit organization whose mission will be to promote the development of soccer by offering high-level installations to the citizens of the Greater Montreal region.

The Impact won the First Division United Soccer Leagues last season in front of a crowd of 13,648 spectators at the Claude-Robillard Sports Complex. The Impact finished the 2004 season with an average of 9,279 fans per game, a team record which eclipsed the previous mark of 7,236 spectators per game set in 2003.

Last edited by Joe MacCarthy; October 12th, 2005 at 07:30.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old May 5th, 2005, 22:58
Premier Player

Teams: England, Canada
Not exactly the best location for people who take public transport, but good news just the same. Hopefully we can start hosting some internationals too.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old May 6th, 2005, 06:14
Premier Player

Teams: FC Racing Beirut,Lebanon,Armenia,Liverpool
good job finally ...We need bigger one and closer to downtown ...do u guys know if its a closed dome stadium or open cuse it got 3 soccer fields and i heard 1 of them got room!!!

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old May 8th, 2005, 00:49
Premier Player

Teams: AEK Athens, Montreal Impact, Greek NT, Canadian NT
Well the stadium the impact will be playing on should be open domed but im positive the others will be indoors

AEKara OMADARA!
Sikose to gamimeno, den boro na perimeno!
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old May 8th, 2005, 18:10
Forum Manager
Star Player

Teams: Toronto FC, Fiorentina, Barça
I heard the main field would be grass.

Would they put artificial turf on the other pitches? It doesn't seem likely. The facility is not supposed to be for "indoor soccer" is it?

Anybody know for sure?
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old October 12th, 2005, 07:28 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Montreal Stadium Details

Tks to Daniel from Vs for this post

In an article in the Journal de Montréal today:

The stadium will be ready in March 2007
The financial planning will be ready before mid-November for firms interested in presenting a submission

The construction firm will be chosen at the beginning of December
The stadium will seat 14,673, will be turf and there will be 5 surrounding fields, including a covered one

1,675 parking places
The Impact and Saputo Stadium will form 2 distinct non-profit organizations
The Impact will pay rent for stadium use and office space

Annual revenues of $2m (rent, rent from the fields, parking)

The Impact have generated a surplus every year since 2002

Current operating budget is on the underside of $2m and includes since 2002 $650,000 a year from the three main partners (Saputo, Hydro-Quebec and the Government of Quebec)

The 5-year sponsor provisions were $300,000 in 2002 to attain $700,000 in 2006. They accounted for $1.2m in 2005

Total attendance went from 25,000 in 2001 (year of the bankrupcy) to 150,000 in 2005, a 500% increase in 4 years

Last edited by Joe MacCarthy; October 12th, 2005 at 07:40.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old October 26th, 2005, 02:04
Forum Manager
Star Player

Montreal owners reconsider stadium
By PETER MALLETT
Globe and Mail
Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Montreal Impact president Joey Saputo says his United Soccer Leagues club is reconsidering its commitment to building a soccer-specific stadium in Montreal for the 2007 FIFA world youth championships.

Saputo told a Montreal sports radio station, The Team 990, on the weekend that plans for a $15-million 13,500-seat downtown stadium may be put on hold after Canadian Soccer Association officials gave their blessing to a Major League Soccer expansion franchise for Toronto.

"We are going to have to reconsider the stadium," Saputo said. "We don't want the stadium to be a white elephant -- if you lose your sponsorship and your league because of competition. Why would we need a 15,000-stadium when we have one that works fine at 9,000."

Last May, Saputo Inc. owner Lino Saputo -- the father of Joey Saputo -- announced plans to build a soccer stadium called Complexe Place du Public in downtown Montreal when the city was chosen as a host city for the U-21 tournament along with Victoria, Vancouver, Edmonton, Toronto and Ottawa.

The Impact, along with the Toronto Lynx and Vancouver Whitecaps, play in the 12-team United Soccer Leagues. The three club owners have been alarmed at the possibility of competition if the MLS grants Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment an expansion franchise to play in a soccer stadium planned for Toronto.

"I have always been there to support the game but at this particular time I feel like the CSA doesn't give a hoot about me," Saputo said in the radio interview.

Saputo also said that his club's $1-million commitment to the 2007 tournament and the Montreal site committee is up in the air.

Toronto Lynx chief operating officer Nicole Hartrell said the Lynx plan to continue to operate in Toronto despite the possibility of an MLS expansion franchise.

Gee, who knew? The CSA rushes to encourage a Toronto MLS franchise so it can get a stadium built in Toronto, without considering that the existing Canadian USL franchises might not be too happy about it.

The CSA stumbles from one self-made crisis to another.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old October 26th, 2005, 02:36
Star Player

Teams: FC Parma and Toronto FC
The USL is a disaster...MLS is on solid footing.

What Toronto wants, Toronto usually gets

"I am happy the side survived, because this team is the shining jewel in a city that is symbolic of culture, politeness and civility. I hoped with all my heart that Parma would stay in Serie A, for this outfit and all of Italian football.

(Arrigo Sacchi)
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old October 26th, 2005, 04:23
Premier Player

Teams: A.C. MILAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucaGol
Except for Stanley Cups...oh yeah and the F1

"Certi sogni non finiscono mai"
Alessandro Costacurta

"Tu Sei Tutta La Mia Vita"

Curva Sud
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old October 26th, 2005, 21:33
Star Player

touche

"I am happy the side survived, because this team is the shining jewel in a city that is symbolic of culture, politeness and civility. I hoped with all my heart that Parma would stay in Serie A, for this outfit and all of Italian football.

(Arrigo Sacchi)
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old October 26th, 2005, 22:08
Forum Manager
Star Player

A Canadian Press story on October 26 says Saputo will build a new stadium in Montreal, but it may be significantly smaller than originally planned. Instead of 14,673 seats, as mentioned above, Saputo is now talking as low as 10,000 seats.

The Impact led the USL in home attendance with an average of 11,176 per game.

You can understand why Saputo is leery of building a big new stadium for his USL franchise if the MLS is coming to Canada (Toronto); the new Toronto franchise could drain away the best Canadian players from the Impact (which is already heavily represented in the national team player pool) and could weaken the loyalty of the Impact fan base. A successful Toronto MLS team could build pressure for a Montreal MLS franchise, and if that happens it could leave the Impact with few players, few fans, and a honking great stadium that they can't fill, but that's too small for the MLS.

But part of the 2007 Junior World Cup plans was a stadium in Montreal. Will Saputo's stadium be large enough to satisfy the CSA and FIFA?
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old October 27th, 2005, 04:38
Star Player

I know this might sound crazy, but if there was MLS expansion to Montreal, couldn't the Impact just defect from the USL and join the more profitable and higher skill level MLS?

Same idea for the Whitecaps. I know it prob wouldn't happen with the Lynx.

Therefore, a 15000 seat stadium would still be needed.

(Arrigo Sacchi)
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old October 27th, 2005, 08:39
Star Player

Teams: whitecaps juve chelsea canada
Simply make the stadium so it could be expanded if needed. The Whitecaps stadium will be 15,000 with room to grow to 30,000.

\/\/
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old November 8th, 2005, 04:16
Premier Player

Teams: A.C. MILAN
Quote:
I know this might sound crazy, but if there was MLS expansion to Montreal, couldn't the Impact just defect from the USL and join the more profitable and higher skill level MLS?

Same idea for the Whitecaps. I know it prob wouldn't happen with the Lynx.

Therefore, a 15000 seat stadium would still be needed.
There are many theories as to why Montreal does not try to get an MLS team. The answer is simple.

SAPUTO is a major player in the 'cheese market' in North America.
Saputo owns the IMPACT along with other entities who are minority partners.

KRAFT is another worldwide name associated with Cheese. Kraft is a major sponsor of the MLS.

Thus, until Saputo owns the Impact, Montreal will never have an MLS team. On the other hand, no company in Quebec is as generous and willing as Saputo to see the team and sport itself advance so they do not deserve any criticism. They are protecting their business...

"Certi sogni non finiscono mai"
Alessandro Costacurta

"Tu Sei Tutta La Mia Vita"

Curva Sud

Last edited by Billy_Montreal; November 8th, 2005 at 14:39.
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old November 9th, 2005, 23:53
Xtratime Legend

Teams: A.C. Milan
Quote:

UNFORTUNATELY I CAN NO LONGER BE OF ANY ASSISTANCE FOR TICKETS
I belong to Lucifer
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old November 11th, 2005, 03:03
Premier Player

Teams: England, Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_Montreal
post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old November 16th, 2005, 16:10
Xtratime Legend

Teams: A.C. Milan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_Montreal
Cazzo Billy, I missed this one

UNFORTUNATELY I CAN NO LONGER BE OF ANY ASSISTANCE FOR TICKETS
I belong to Lucifer
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old March 22nd, 2006, 05:21
Forum Manager
Star Player

Saputo stadium may be built at Olympic Park
Quote:
Construction of the complex at the Technoparc will therefore be delayed as a more detailed survey of the Olympic Park is undertaken, jointly with the RIO, to determine if it could respond to the growing needs of soccer in the province.
The stadium, which was originally planned to open in time for the Impact’s 2007 season, was also to host Youth World Championship games next year. Montreal is one of six host cities for the event. Montreal’s involvement in the championship is not jeopardized even if the new building will not be ready in time.
post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old June 6th, 2006, 22:01 Thread Starter
Rising Star

Just posting a newer pic (has a roof) of the proposed Saputo stadium than the initial rendering.

A note to the guys wondering why Toronto got to MLS before a deserving Montreal. The CSA wanted a National soccer only stadium in Toronto and a team in MLS and had FIFA grant money to help get this project off the ground.

The reason Montreal is not already in MLS is because Joey Saputo is opposed to the single entity ownership model of MLS. They've got the dough (pardon the expression) but Joey's not keen on the model.

Canada's richest (billions of Cdn dollars)
1. The Ken Thomson family (media) $22.2
2. Galen Weston (groceries) 9.3
3. The Irving family (oil) 5.4
4. Jeff Skoll (eBay) 5.1
5. Jimmy Pattison (entrepreneur) 4.5
6. Paul Desmarais Sr. (Power Corp.) 4.3
7. Ted Rogers Jr. (media) 3.7
8. Saputo family (food) 3.0
9. Barry Sherman (Apotex drugs) 2.6
10. David Azrieli (Canpro Investments) 2.4
Source: Canadian Business

http://www.cbc.ca/news/background/wealth/
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old June 6th, 2006, 22:09
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe MacCarthy
Just posting a newer pic (has a roof) of the proposed Saputo stadium than the initial rendering.

A note to the guys wondering why Toronto got to MLS before a deserving Montreal. The CSA wanted a National soccer only stadium in Toronto and a team in MLS and had FIFA grant money to help get this project off the ground.

The reason Montreal is not already in MLS is because Joey Saputo is opposed to the single entity ownership model of MLS. They've got the dough (pardon the expression) but Joey's not keen on the model.

Canada's richest (billions of Cdn dollars)
1. The Ken Thomson family (media) $22.2
2. Galen Weston (groceries) 9.3
3. The Irving family (oil) 5.4
4. Jeff Skoll (eBay) 5.1
5. Jimmy Pattison (entrepreneur) 4.5
6. Paul Desmarais Sr. (Power Corp.) 4.3
7. Ted Rogers Jr. (media) 3.7
8. Saputo family (food) 3.0
9. Barry Sherman (Apotex drugs) 2.6
10. David Azrieli (Canpro Investments) 2.4
Source: Canadian Business

http://www.cbc.ca/news/background/wealth/
Good point, this is about promoting soccer, not cheese. Get that stadium built and fast!!! and hurry with joining mls!!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in