Canadian U-14 team wins tournament in Italy - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old April 24th, 2005, 06:46 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Star Player

Teams: Toronto FC, Fiorentina, Barça
Canadian U-14 team wins tournament in Italy

Apr 22, 2005

Soccer to Italians is like hockey to Canucks -- almost a religion. So when the Premier Soccer Academy boys under-14 team was invited to the Agropoli International Soccer Tournament last month, the players understandably reacted with awe (that they were going to the game's mecca) and trepidation (that they might get their butts kicked).
They needn't have worried on the latter score, because the squad, boasting 11 Mississauga players, returned with an undefeated record -- and the championship.

"Not only did we show that Canada can play soccer internationally, but that we can play a technical game and be successful," said head coach John Moreira from the Erin Mills Soccer Club.

Selected to represent the non-European participants, the Canadian Selects got off to a confidence-building start by downing Poland 1-0 to win the International Match trophy.

In subsequent tournament round-robin play, Canada defeated Latina (Milan) 3-0 and Memphis (U.S.) 4-1.

After nipping Napoli (Naples) 1-0 in the semi-finals the boys got the opportunity to play the final at the Agropoli Stadium in front of hundreds of spectators. Facing a team from Solarino (Italy) the reps put on an impressive show of tight-passing skills and team work to gain a 3-0 score and the championship.

Source: The Mississauga News

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old April 24th, 2005, 07:03
Legend

Teams: Italia - Roma
You do realize you said 14 year olds right? Most of these guys wont make it to U17.

Make Xtratime great again.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old April 24th, 2005, 18:46 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Star Player

You may well be right, pal, but our little Canucks beat your sorry 14-year-old asses pretty good!

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old April 24th, 2005, 21:48
True-Kozak

u14...hehehehehe.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old April 26th, 2005, 04:00
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff
You may well be right, pal, but our little Canucks beat your sorry 14-year-old asses pretty good!
If that is your best achievment in the sport...then hey...whatever makes you happy.

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old April 26th, 2005, 07:48 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Star Player

I never said it was our best achievement in soccer (and in fact it wasn't), but we sure didn't get any lessons from you!
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old April 27th, 2005, 00:07
Star Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiorito28
You do realize you said 14 year olds right? Most of these guys wont make it to U17.
Fiorito **** off. This is an achivement to be proud of for a nation that isn't a soccer nation. It also isn't as if we were going on and on about it. So get off your high horse and your superiority complex and piss off.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old April 28th, 2005, 01:29
Legend

Past defeats in arguements should not get you to reply this way. No need to fight. Just stated that, yeah good result, but nothing to be majorly proud of. Do not see where I said anything offensive.
???

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old April 28th, 2005, 13:15 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Star Player

It's offensive for you to drop in here and tell us we should not be "majorly" proud of our young players.

It's also bad sportsmanship for the losers to tell the winners, "yeah, you beat us, but it's no big deal."

Come back again sometime when you have something to do other than sneer at us.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old April 29th, 2005, 06:21
Legend

You see, I am used to my team competing in major tournaments so maybe that is why I can not see why you are so proud. Cheers.

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old April 29th, 2005, 06:26
Legend

This is what I said: You do realize you said 14 year olds right? Most of these guys wont make it to U17.
This is your answer: You may well be right, pal, but our little Canucks beat your sorry 14-year-old asses pretty good!
And then True-Kozak says: u14...hehehehehe.
Yet you do not say anything to him.

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old May 7th, 2005, 19:08
Star Player

Fiorito I didn't like their responses but I didn't like your criticism a lot more. But it's been a while and I forgot about this argument so I think we are done here.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old May 8th, 2005, 02:33
Premier Player

Sour grapes.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old May 13th, 2005, 16:17
Professional Pirate
International

Teams: False 9
YA canada!! we are the best....**cough under 14 best cough** but hey a win is a win rite guyz!!
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old May 14th, 2005, 02:12 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Star Player

A win's a win, but our boys had 5 wins!

...and only gave up a single goal. :thmbup:
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old May 17th, 2005, 02:12
Keyboard Hero
World Class Player

Not surprised to hear this. Canadian talent up to 14 is excellent. The problem is up between the crucial years 15-18 there's no full time opportunity to train the kids as puberty is making their bodies so much the stronger and they can develop skills through muscle memory so much the easier.

The other footballing countries have a luxury with the systems they employ. We don't have this, and maybe it's a good thing for education's sake, but the minor hockey players we produce aren't the first ones on the list for scholarships in Physics. So maybe there's merit to mimick.

The sooner we get a chance to professionalize football clubs the better. We have to start treating it as a vocation, then we can harness more talent, and build on successes like the one I see above.

But before that, we desperately need a major cash infusion for the NT. And I mean men's NT, to concentrate on getting them to the WC. This is vital. The CSA needs to capture the hearts and minds of the Canadians who do not like or follow or perhaps even look down on football. Once a general will of support is sparked then I believe we can do some professionalizing like the Americans have done.

Another good move would be to open up a permanent CSA office is London, England and have as many 'home' matches there as possible. The Aussies have done it and I think it would do wonders.

Cheers and Congrats to the U-14's.

Reprezentaciju ste ukrali, istinu ne možete

"Football is an extension of the war by other means"

Franjo Tudman

PS. Iako si najavio ne moraš dolaziti u Hercegovinu, ovamo nisi dobodošao. Sasvim sigurno su ti otvorena vrata onih koji su skupa sa tobom radili na zabrani utakmice, i otvorena su ti vrata njihovog grada gdje se pale i brane hrvatske zastave.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old May 17th, 2005, 18:27
Premier Player

Teams: Portugal NT
so let me understand...a thread is started to congratulate a wonderful achievement by some youngsters and some guy comes in to diminish it's importance to those young kids by suggesting it was no big deal??? hey fiori, what have you achieved??? and what team are you referring to when you say "my team competing in major tournaments"??? what team is "your" team? who is this..is that you Nesta??? no??? must be Baggio then..... :rollani:
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old May 18th, 2005, 03:28
Star Player

Teams: whitecaps juve chelsea canada
A system such as used in hockey academy schools would be good. The kids go to school, and their major other activity is playing football. Works well for hockey here and in Sweeden. I think Ajax has such a system also, and look what they do.

\/\/

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in