Most promising Canadian - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old December 7th, 2004, 08:00 Thread Starter
Star Player

Most promising Canadian

Hey guys I'm not sure how much of a discussion will be had because quite honestly even though I live in Canada I don't know much about our national soccer team. I just want to know who you think who has the brightest future in Canada's senior squad or youth squad. Contribute what you can please.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old December 7th, 2004, 19:02
Star Player

Teams: Real Madrid
I think his name is Jason Simpson (not sure the first name). Consistent and not too flashy.

Still Madridista and apparently I have no honor
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old December 7th, 2004, 22:10
Forum Manager
Star Player

Teams: Toronto FC, Fiorentina, Barça
Actually, it's Josh Simpson.

Good topic!

To see a list of the senior team player pool, click here.

To see a list of the U-20 team player pool, click here

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old December 9th, 2004, 01:05 Thread Starter
Star Player

How would you rate Ian Hume?
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old December 27th, 2004, 05:04
Rookie

Good shooter... left foot, right foot. Look for him to move up the ranks out of Tranmere soon I think.

www.serioussoccer.ca
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old January 29th, 2005, 00:37
International

I've heard that 17-year old Jacob Lensky is held in pretty high regard back in good old Canada.

Certainly the Celtic youth coaches and the man himself Martin O'Neill were really excited about his decision to join The Bhoys. I'm hoping to make it along to a youth match in the near future to gauge his potential first-hand, but when you think that clubs the calibre of Man Utd were interested in him too that he must have some real ability.

I'll keep you updated on how good Lensky is (or isn't) after i see him for myself.

Hail Hail!
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old January 29th, 2005, 02:33
Rising Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_Henrik
I've heard that 17-year old Jacob Lensky is held in pretty high regard back in good old Canada.
Lensky is fairly unknown in these parts and there really hasn't been a furor over him. As one of the posts says he has never represented Canada so he doesn't have much of a profile.
http://www.canadian-soccer.com/forum...?TOPIC_ID=3573

Other hot prospects are U20s Jaime Peters (Millwall), David Edgar (Newcastle), Julian Uccello (Savona/AC Milan), Andrea Lombardo (Atalanta) Will Johnson and Jon DeGuzman (Feyenoord). DeGuz is being pursued by Holland as he has been playing there for several years and Edgar is not at the U20 qualifiers because of injury.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old February 19th, 2005, 16:17
International

Lensky has made it known that he wants to represent his father's country Czech Republic at International level apparently, if he's ever considered good enough for selection by them of course.

Sorry guys.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old February 22nd, 2005, 07:54 Thread Starter
Star Player

That's unfortunate for us especially if he is good enough for the Czech senior squad. Understandable of course but sad nontheless. How would you rate him by the way as you said something about seeing him play?
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old February 26th, 2005, 20:21
International

I haven't got around to watching him yet i'm afraid, when i do get the chance then i'll let you know what i think of him. Although it's obviously a bit early in his development to make a set opinion of him at this stage anyway.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old April 6th, 2006, 05:54
Rising Star

Lensky to play on Canadian team

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_Henrik
Lensky has made it known that he wants to represent his father's country Czech Republic at International level apparently, if he's ever considered good enough for selection by them of course.

Sorry guys.
Canada’s U-20 National Team head coach, Dale Mitchell, has released his roster for the team’s upcoming trip to the 24th Porto International Tournament from April 7-16th 2006.

7 M LENSKY, Jacob Celtic FC (Scotland) 16-Dec-88 Vancouver BC

Early days yet so we'll see what happens. It's getting to the point of critical mass for Canada now. More players are starting to be developed at a higher level and quicker. We went from one to six guys in the top Dutch league in less than a month.

As we keep developing higher quality players some may wish to try their luck elsewhere but now there is no guarantee they can "settle" for Canada as a fallback position. There is going to be a lot more competition for fewer spots and "defections" won't be felt as much as they might have before as we acquire more depth.

There is going to be a real battle for positions on this U20 team.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old April 15th, 2006, 03:57
Star Player

Teams: FC Parma and Toronto FC
Amen to that...

"I am happy the side survived, because this team is the shining jewel in a city that is symbolic of culture, politeness and civility. I hoped with all my heart that Parma would stay in Serie A, for this outfit and all of Italian football.

(Arrigo Sacchi)
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old April 15th, 2006, 06:04
Rising Star

Back to the thread at hand, aside from the guys listed above (who are still good bets) the most promising Canadian is...Nik Ledgerwood (1860 Munich).

Nik will most likely be the first and next of the new wave to make the big boy's team.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old April 15th, 2006, 16:34
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Ajax | Oranje
Are you not naming the little De Guzman, cause you expect him to play for Oranje or did you just forget him?
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old April 15th, 2006, 17:42
Rising Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by chivu
Are you not naming the little De Guzman, cause you expect him to play for Oranje or did you just forget him?
No, I expect Nik to be the next young guy to play with the senior Nats.

My theory on DeGuzman is...he is waiting for his Dutch passport. This entitles him to be able to play in England, Spain, Italy etc. While I have no doubt he has a connection with Holland, as he has spent his formative years there, will that same connection be there when he is playing in Spain/Italy/England a few years down the road.

If he is as good as we all think he is, he will likely not remain in Holland. I think everything hinges on that passport. There is no logical reason why he hasn't committed to Holland yet. He has established himself with his club team and has caught the eye of the Dutch hierarchy. Why hasn't he committed?

I think he still wants to play with his brother and he is balancing that with the visibility of playing for Holland. He is looking at the lay of the land, as he knows once the decision is made, it's final.

We tend to overblow this situation as DeGuzman is a very good player (one article ranked him in the world top ten of young players) but we also have two very good young players who will soon be at the same league level as him. I think it is very possible for Marcel DeJong and especially Will Johnson to have Big Four careers.
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old April 16th, 2006, 17:34
Star Player

Teams: FC Parma and Toronto FC
Personally I think Ryan Gyaki is the next big Canadian to look for. I saw him play a couple times and he's a real talent. Close behind Gyaki would be David Edgar who's with Newcastle and of course Jamie Peters and Iain Hume, but I don't know if they would be considered as up and comers, still.

"I am happy the side survived, because this team is the shining jewel in a city that is symbolic of culture, politeness and civility. I hoped with all my heart that Parma would stay in Serie A, for this outfit and all of Italian football.

(Arrigo Sacchi)
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old April 16th, 2006, 19:24
Rising Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucaGol
Personally I think Ryan Gyaki is the next big Canadian to look for. I saw him play a couple times and he's a real talent. Close behind Gyaki would be David Edgar who's with Newcastle and of course Jamie Peters and Iain Hume, but I don't know if they would be considered as up and comers, still.
Of that list, there's no comparison presently with Hume and the rest. Hume (who is older than the rest - 22) has scored a bunch of goals with Leicester since his transfer and leads the team in scoring (10).

Gyaki has had some injury problems hinder his progress, Peters is still young, as is Edgar, whom everybody hopes will be the next DeVos. Peters and Edgar will be playing in the U20 World Cup.

Actually the reason I mentioned Ledgerwood was because FY said he would be the next young player to play with the seniors. He would have had a callup for Austria but he had an injury. Peters and Hume already have a fair amount of time with the CMNT.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in