Onstad v. Pipe - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old November 6th, 2004, 18:03 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Star Player

Teams: Toronto FC, Fiorentina, Barša
Onstad v. Pipe

Here's a link to that Soccer365 interview with Pat Onstad that was mentioned on Soccer Central today (Nov. 6).

And here's the key excerpt:

365: I also wanted to ask you about the Canadian national team, it’s another disappointing situation there, but do you feel like you are at least starting to turn the corner?

Onstad: Yeah, I thought we actually… the year before we were just knocking the ball long and hoping for the best and really that was on a good day, we were awful. This year we played quite well and we were unfortunate, we had to win our last two games and played very well in the first half against Costa Rica and couldn’t get a second goal to kill the game off and then unfortunately I made a bit of a blunder on their first one and the game completely changed on that and we lost 3-1. But I think Frank Yallop has a good young nucleus of players and with those sort of guys they are going to go forward and you’re going to see the Dwayne De Rosario’s and the Ian Hume’s and those sort of players are going to be very successful for Canada. I think there is a bright future.

The problem we have for Canada is, and you hate pointing the finger at one thing, but the bottom line is we have no funding. For the budget we actually have and the budget that they set forth for each year is really ridiculous if you expect to actually try to qualify. I think what has to happen is our leadership of the CSA has to figure out what they want to do. Do they want a team that’s going to make the World Cup or do that want to just do patchwork and each time there’s a World Cup round they’ll send a team in and all the best and we’ll get knocked out pretty much in the semifinal round every year. But if they want to invest in the team and really go for a World Cup entry then I think there is no reason we can’t do that. Our (chief operating officer) Kevan Pipe really has shown no leadership and unfortunately he’s not behind the men’s national team and that’s the bottom line in the way he funds the men’s program.
-----------------

On Soccer Central Craig Forrest dodged the controversy by saying everyone should sit down and talk more often so there aren't any conflicts, or some such nonsense.

They said Kevan Pipe was in Europe and unavailable for comment.

Let's see what happens....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old December 14th, 2004, 07:11
Star Player

I think more money would be a great idea for the team. The funding they get is absolutely ridiculous. I mean 14 hr flights that will only get upgraded from economy class to first class if there is extra room that is complete bs when they have to play the next day or whatever. We have some of the talent to make the world cup why is it wasted?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old December 27th, 2004, 05:06
Rookie

Onstad is brutal... he is the reason we missed out on qualifying. Put Forrest in and we make it through...maybe even Hirshfeld.

www.serioussoccer.ca

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old December 27th, 2004, 21:39
Rising Star

Teams: Dynamo Kyiv & Ukrainian National
I agree.

In the games i've seen Onstad play he's awful, he can't handle the ball and he is slow to react.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old December 28th, 2004, 03:47 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Star Player

Teams: Toronto FC, Fiorentina, Barša
I think you are being unfair to Onstad.

He is in fact a very good goalkeeper, having been named MLS goalkeeper of the year for 2003.

For the national team he has 17 shutouts in 46 internationals.

It's ludicrous to say he's the reason we failed to qualify for the World Cup. Why, because he can't score goals?

For my money, he's better than Hirschfeld.

Unfortunately, he is retiring from international play.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old December 29th, 2004, 03:34
Premier Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serioussoccer
Onstad is brutal... he is the reason we missed out on qualifying. Put Forrest in and we make it through...maybe even Hirshfeld.

www.serioussoccer.ca
That might be a little harsh. At his age and condition, I dont know if Forrest would have gotten us the win but Onstad isnt as bad as you make him out to be and probably gives us the best chance to win out of the keepers
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old January 8th, 2005, 08:26
Rookie

In order to win you must score goals. Canada has consistently proven that they cannot put the ball in the back of the proverbial onion bag. It doesn't matter who you put between the pipes if the rest of the team can't score. Case closed.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old January 10th, 2005, 21:12
Rookie

Wheter it's Pat Onstad or Kevin Pipe,it doesn't matter as one should retire and the other one should resign.There's a lot of clean up to do within the CSA.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in