Jacob Lensky - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old July 10th, 2004, 16:47 Thread Starter
International

Jacob Lensky

The young Canadian lad Lensky has signed for Celtic. Does anyone know anything about him? Apparently he's quite highly-rated.

Heres the story :

Celtic have earned a small measure of revenge on Manchester United over the Liam Miller move by snatching young Canada star Jacob Lensky from under the nose of Alex Ferguson.

Midfielder Miller signed a pre-contract agreement with the Old Trafford giants earlier this year after impressing for the Hoops in the Champions League.

But now the Parkhead side have beaten United to the signature of teenage Canadian Lensky, who will join the Scottish Premier League champions when he turns 16 in December, after a trial period at United was prevented by a hamstring injury to the player.

Lensky told the Vancouver Sun: “Although I’ve had opportunities to play with other teams, including Manchester United, Celtic emerged as my clear first choice.

“I loved my trial with Celtic and everything else about the club.

“I can’t officially be signed to a contract until I turn 16, which is on December 16.”
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old July 11th, 2004, 17:31
Forum Manager
Star Player

Teams: Toronto FC, Fiorentina, Barça
Thanks for raising this subject, King.

I daresay I'm not the only one around here who had never heard of Lensky until the news of his signing with Celtic came out. He's not even on the Canadian Soccer Association's radar, as he does not appear on any of their development team player pools, and as far as I know he is uncapped.

Some background can be gleaned from this article in the Vancouver Sun, which I will quote in full because it's no longer available online:

Quote:
Lensky Glasgow-bound
Fifteen-year-old Vancouver College student signs with Celtic U-17 team

Dan Stinson, Vancouver Sun
Thursday, June 24, 2004

Widely sought Vancouver midfielder Jacob Lensky has verbally agreed to a three-year contract with Scotland's Glasgow Celtic under-17 team after he was courted in recent months by England's Manchester United, the most famous soccer club in the world.

Lensky, a 15-year-old Grade 10 student at Vancouver College, reached a pre-contract agreement with Celtic on May 20 following a trial with the under-17 side and will return to Glasgow July 8 for pre-season training.

"I can't be officially signed to a contract until I turn 16, which is on Dec. 16," says Lensky, who recently wrote his year-end exams at Vancouver College. "Although I've had opportunities to play for other teams, including Manchester United, Celtic emerged as my clear first choice. I loved my trial with Celtic and everything else about the club."

Lensky was scheduled to join Manchester United's under-17 team for a trial in July following his time with Celtic. But he suffered a pulled hamstring while playing for Celtic and the injury forced him to postpone his plans to travel to Manchester.

Lensky spent 11 days in Glasgow in early May, playing in four league games and scoring two goals against Dunfermline and Hibernian. He father, Boris Lensky, also travelled to Glasgow and sat in on negotiations for the pre-contract agreement with Tommy Burns, head coach of the Glasgow Celtic Soccer Academy, and assistant coach John Stevenson.

"The original purpose of the trip was to go to Glasgow Celtic first and then to Manchester United," Boris Lensky says. "We thought when we left Vancouver that Manchester United would be the more important part of trip. Jacob was approached first by Manchester United, but then he picked up his hamstring injury and couldn't go to Manchester.

"We had a meeting with Tommy Burns and he was very impressed with Jacob. We spent three hours discussing a contract and finally reached an agreement."

Burns and Stevenson are travelling outside of Scotland until July 2 and could not be reached for comment. But John Cushley, the head of Celtic's youth academy education and welfare office, confirms that Lensky has reached a pre-contract agreement with the club.

"Jacob will be joining a highly successful youth program here," Cushley, a former Celtic player, says from Glasgow. "Our under-17 team was unbeaten against Scottish League opponents in 24 league games this season and won the championship. In fact, the team lost only one game the entire year -- 1-0 to Manchester United's under-17 side in an exhibition game at the end of our season.

"Our under-17 team has been so dominant in Scotland the last two or three years that we've arranged to play exhibition games against English League youth teams like Manchester United, Arsenal and Newcastle."

Cushley says Lensky will become a paid player by Celtic on Jan. 1, 2005. "He will be a fully professional player on that date. He'll also continue his high school studies here and I will oversee his education."

Glasgow Celtic's senior team won both the Scottish Premier League and Scottish Cup championships this past season.

The Scottish under-17 league season starts in mid-August, breaks for the Christmas and New Year holidays, resumes in mid-February and concludes in May.

Lensky says he has also had trial runs with English League clubs Liverpool, Blackburn Rovers and West Ham United.

"My longest spell was at Blackburn, where I played for four years between ages eight and 11," he says. "Blackburn wanted to sign me, but it was very stale there and I wasn't making any progress as a player. That's why I really like Celtic. I learned a lot of things and made progress in only four games there. Celtic has a great youth development program and equally great coaches."

Lensky has played Vancouver Metro League soccer with Surrey United and an ICSF (Italian Canadian Soccer Federation) side. But his most influential years in the game were with the Boris Lensky-coached Guildford under-15 Gold team in Surrey.

"I learned the game of soccer from my dad," he says. "He taught me all of the basic skills. The Guildford team that my dad coached is the the best team I've ever played on. We didn't lose a game in three seasons."

Ironically, the slim 5-foot-10, 150-pound Lensky has never played for a B.C. or Canadian youth team.

"I wasn't around here much for a chance to play with those teams," he said with a chuckle. "I was always somewhere in Europe trying out with club sides."

B.C.'s and Canada's loss is Glasgow Celtic's gain.
How much of a loss to Canada remains to be seen. He may well be eligible to play for another national team, if he is so inclined.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old July 12th, 2004, 18:28 Thread Starter
International

Thanks for that article, it probably explains why no-one in Canada has been aware of Lensky as he's played most of his time in Europe, and mainly in England.

I can't really answer your question about his eligibility for International teams, although i think i read somewhere that his father was Polish. He was deinitely born in Canada though so it seems it's a straight choice between Canada and Poland and dependant on his personal preference.

I'm not really interested in who the guy chooses Internationally though, all i'm hoping for is that we have signed ourselves a young player with great potential, and judging by the calibre of teams who were interested in his signature then Lensky definitely fits the category.

Last edited by King_Henrik; July 12th, 2004 at 18:39. Reason: Spelling error

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old July 12th, 2004, 20:19
Star Player

Teams: whitecaps juve chelsea canada
Well, I would fully expect the CSA to lure him into the fold now. Holpefully he accepts that.

\/\/
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old July 12th, 2004, 21:48
Forum Manager
Star Player

I think this underscores the weakness of the CSA in scouting young players. The top European clubs are better at spotting young Canadian talent than the CSA is. [Need I mention Owen Hargreaves?]

I guess it confirms our perennial problem of lack of sufficient development funding.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old July 13th, 2004, 00:44
Premier Player

Spot on jeff! I mean some how the CSA has left be sitting on my chair posting on Xtratime since 2000 . Thats a waste of raw talent if I ever saw it

How do contracts work with a player his age? they cant legally tie him to club yet can they?
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old July 14th, 2004, 00:28
Forum Manager
Star Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiel
How do contracts work with a player his age? they cant legally tie him to club yet can they?
As Lensky says in the above article,"I can't be officially signed to a contract until I turn 16, which is on Dec. 16."

After that, he can sign; for now, it's just a verbal, non-binding agreement.

BTW, do you really feel your talents are wasted here at XT?
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old July 14th, 2004, 04:22
Premier Player

Well that leaves alot of power to Jacob if hes really got the talent, with an agreement like that. There must be alot of under the table "sweetners"

and yah, they might be a little wasted. I have great fun here, but if I had somewhere to play and advance my career I would. But its hard if you dont have the money to travel distances back and fourth while still trying to concentrate on a future career in case I actually suck
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old July 18th, 2004, 08:13
Rookie

Last edited by canada; August 1st, 2004 at 02:39.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old July 19th, 2004, 22:02
Star Player

Teams: whitecaps juve chelsea canada
well at least he will be on the radar now of CSA.

\/\/
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old July 25th, 2004, 03:24
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by polaris
well at least he will be on the radar now of CSA.
But as Jacob has said himself, he has never been in Canada long enough to play for BC or Canadian teams so you are left to wonder if he really feels any connection with Canada if he has been touring Europe for a number of years. Time will tell the true tale, but I highly doubt we will ever see him in the red and white of Canada. :irritate:
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old July 26th, 2004, 15:39
Rising Star

Teams: Olomouc
I believe I read somewhere that his dad wants him to play for the Czech Republic. We shall see how everything pans out...

Football in the Czech Republic and Macedonia

http://www.moravianfootball.blogspot.com
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old October 26th, 2004, 02:26
Rookie

yeah i know jacob lenksy. he went to my school last year and then he got scouted, then left. yeah its odd how he never played any provincial or national team before be got scouted, jus metro league.
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old April 13th, 2006, 19:53
Rising Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADutchCanuck
But as Jacob has said himself, he has never been in Canada long enough to play for BC or Canadian teams so you are left to wonder if he really feels any connection with Canada if he has been touring Europe for a number of years. Time will tell the true tale, but I highly doubt we will ever see him in the red and white of Canada. :irritate:
Men’s U-20 Team
Thursday, April 05, 2007
Mitchell Announces U-20 Squad for Porto International Tournament
http://www.canadasoccer.com/eng/med...p?Press_ID=2415

Roster

# POS Player Club DOB Hometown Prov.
1 GK BEGOVIC, Asmir La Louviere (Belgium) 20-Jun-87 Edmonton AB
2 D OLIVEIRA, Kyle National Training Centre - Ontario 4-Mar-88 Oakville ON
3 D O'CONNOR, Kent 1860 Munich (Germany) 5-Mar-87 North Vancouver BC
4 D LUMLEY, Stephen NTC - Ontario 16-Apr-87 Mississauga ON
5 D EDGAR, David Newcastle United FC (England) 19-May-87 Kitchener ON
6 M NUNEZ, Cristian National Training Centre - Quebec 07-Jul-88 Montreal QC
7 M LENSKY, Jacob Celtic FC (Scotland) 16-Dec-88 Vancouver BC
8 F ELLIOTT, Alex University of Portland (USA) 24-Apr-87 Vancouver BC
9 F LOMBARDO, Andrea Perugia Calcio (Italy) 23-May-87 Toronto ON
10 F JOHNSON, Will SC Heerenveen (Netherlands) 21-Jan-87 Woodridge IL
11 M BABINEAU, Olivier University of Montreal 12-Jul-87 Dieppe NB
12 M MAYARD, Pierre-Rudolph NTC - Quebec 21-Feb-88 Laval QC
13 M GOMEZ, Emmanuel River Plate (Argentina) 30-Mar-87 Victoria BC
14 F REVIVO, Daniel Winthrop University (USA) 23-Mar-87 Richmond Hill ON
15 M/F D'AGOSTINO, Mike University of Kentucky (USA) 1-Jul-87 Langley BC
16 M McCALLUM, Gavin Yeovil Town FC (England) 24-Aug-87 Mississauga ON
17 D LORETH, Joey Oregon State University (USA) 19-Jan-87 Victoria BC
22 GK CAULFIELD, Stefan Lynn University (USA) 19-Jun-87 Toronto ON
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old April 13th, 2006, 22:34
Rookie

I stand corrected. Good turn of events for the Canadian program to reel him in and have him commit.
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old April 14th, 2006, 04:52
Rising Star

Lensky played the full 90 against China after sitting vs Norway. Manny Gomez and keeper Stefan Caulfield have sat for both and are the only players yet to see action. Hope Gomez sees action vs Portugal. Maybe he has an injury.
post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old April 16th, 2006, 04:20
Rising Star

Lensky played the full 90 again in the 1-0 loss to host Portugal. Manny Gomez came in at 73 minutes.
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old April 29th, 2006, 21:34
BANNED!
Legend

Teams: Argentina, Russia, Greece, Israel, Czech Republic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe MacCarthy
Manny Gomez came in at 73 minutes.
He plays for River Plate,right?
post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old May 16th, 2006, 15:48
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigma_Olomouc
I believe I read somewhere that his dad wants him to play for the Czech Republic. We shall see how everything pans out...
Yes his farther does want him to play for the Czech republic but does the czech's want him? Hopefully the CSA will get him into the program asap, we need all the great young talent we can get.

Celtic FC -Scottish Premier champions 2005-06
_League Cup Winners 2005-05

Rangers FC _ won Dick allp :p p
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old July 31st, 2006, 10:39
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Feyenoord & Spuds
He's on trial this week at Feyenoord.

Lex Immers - Pace & power. Holland's #1 box to box player

Feyenoord forum - the place to talk about this phenomenon

Ronald Koeman "Oranje kan Immers goed gebruiken"

Fred Rutten "Feyenoord heeft Immers nodig"

Van Marwijk over Lex Immers: 'Stille kracht van Feyenoord'

John de Wolf “Dat is nou precies de aanjager, het ’etterbakkie’ in het veld dat Feyenoord in dit soort wedstrijden nodig heeft"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in