post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old January 7th, 2004, 23:04 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Star Player

Teams: Toronto FC, Fiorentina, Barça
Barbados v Canada friendly Jan. 18

Wednesday, January 07, 2004
Yallop Releases Roster For Camp and Barbados Friendly
from Canadasoccer.com

Canadian Men’s coach Frank Yallop today announced his 15-player squad for a training camp in Ft. Lauderdale and an international friendly against Barbados on January 18.

The players will assemble in Ft. Lauderdale on January 12 and join members of the Olympic team who are currently preparing for the upcoming Final Round of Olympic Qualifying in Mexico, February 2-12. Yallop will add one or two players from the Olympic team for the friendly in Barbados in Bridgetown on January 18 before returning to Florida on January 19 and continuing the camp until January 23.

“This camp will give me an opportunity to evaluate a combination of young and older players as we set out sights on World Cup Qualifying this summer,” said Yallop. “It will also allow some new players to show their abilities and it’s a great way to get started.”

The squad is comprised almost exclusively of North American based players with the exception of Patrice Bernier who is on his winter break with Moss FK in Norway and Olympic team captain Chris Pozniak who is on trial in Norway. Bernier earned his first two senior caps against the Czech Republic and the Republic of Ireland in November.

The Vancouver Whitecaps and Montreal Impact are both represented by four players with Nick Dasovic, Carlo Corazzin, Jeff Clarke and Johnny Sulentic from Vancouver and Nevio Pizzolitto, Martin Nash, Greg Sutton and Gabriel Gervais from Montreal.

This is Clarke’s first selection since May, 2002 when he was called up for a friendly against Switzerland while Sulentic earns his first senior call-up. Both were members of the Olympic team during qualifying in 2000. Pizzolitto and Nash are currently playing indoor soccer with the Cleveland Force and the Dallas Sidekicks respectively, while Sutton and Gervais will be making their first appearances with the senior national side. Sutton, named the A-League Goalkeeper of the Year in 2003, was also with the 2000 Olympic team and earned one cap against Jamaica. Gervais has been named an A-League First Team All-Star team in each of the last two seasons.

Edgar Bartolomeu, a defender with the New York/NJ MetroStars in MLS, has also earned his first call up. Born in Angola, Bartolemeu has obtained Canadian resident status and resides in Toronto in the off-season. He spent two seasons with the Toronto Lynx in 1999 and 2000.

Yallop has also chosen MLS Goalkeeper of the Year Pat Onstad and strike Dwayne de Rosario from the MLS champions San Jose Earthquakes.

Rounding out the squad is veteran defender Mark Watson, who leads all active players with 69 caps, and defender Carl Fletcher who has represented Canada 40 times at the World Cup level.

Canadian Roster For Florida Training Camp and Barbados Friendly

Name Position Club Date of Birth Caps Goals/Shutouts
Pat Onstad GK San Jose Earthquakes, MLS 1/13/68 38 15
Greg Sutton GK Montreal Impact, A-League 4/19/77 0 0
Nevio Pizzolitto D Cleveland Force/Montreal Impact 8/26/76 6 0
Mark Watson D Charleston Battery, A-League 9/8/70 69 0
Gabriel Gervais D Montreal Impact, A-League 9/18/76 0 0
Carl Fletcher D Unattached 12/26/71 40 2
Edgar Bartolomeu D New York/New Jersey MetroStars, MLS 9/14/76 0 0
Chris Pozniak D/M Örebro, Swedish Premier 1/10/81 9 0
Nick Dasovic D/M Vancouver Whitecaps, A-League 12/5/68 60 2
Martin Nash M Dallas Sidekicks/Montreal Impact 12/27/75 29 2
Jeff Clarke M Vancouver Whitecaps, A-League 10/18/77 19 1
Ive (Johnny) Sulentic M Vancouver Whitecaps, A-League 12/24/79 0 0
Patrice Bernier M Moss FK, Norwegian Premier 9/23/79 2 0
Carlo Corazzin F Vancouver Whitecaps, A-League 12/25/71 57 10
Dwayne de Rosario F San Jose Earthquakes, MLS 5/15/78 17 3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old January 13th, 2004, 03:54 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Star Player

Yallop has added 24-year-old defender Stathios Kapos to his roster for the training camp in Ft. Lauderdale and international friendly against Barbados.

Kapos plays with AEK Athens in the Greek First Division and plays right back. He holds dual Canadian and Greek citizenship.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old January 16th, 2004, 23:54 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Star Player

More changes to the roster ahead of Sunday's match in Barbados.

OUT: goalkeeper Pat Onstad (recovering from ankle surgery), midfielder Jeff Clarke (calf) and defenders Carl Fletcher (hip) and Edgar Bartolomeu (visa red tape).

IN: goalkeeper Andrew Olivieri, defenders Adam Braz and David Fronimadis, midfielder Josh Simpson and striker Rob Friend.

Mark Watson will be on the game roster, but he may not play (groin injury).

With Onstad out, Greg Sutton will probably earn his first cap in goal. Sutton was A-League goalkeeper of the year last year with Montreal Impact.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old January 17th, 2004, 23:40
Legend

Teams: BIH, Zeljo & OL
will this be shown on TV ? time ?
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old January 18th, 2004, 05:46 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Star Player

No TV.

This is Canada, after all.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old January 19th, 2004, 16:17
Legend

Canada Defeats Barbados 1-0

Canada’s Men’s World Cup Team earned a 1-0 win against Barbados Sunday in Bridgetown, Barbados.

Carlo Corazzin scored the game’s only goal in the 10th minute to give the new head coach Frank Yallop a win in his first game in charge. Corrazin scored from within the 6th yard box thanks to a great pass from Dwayne de Rosario who was a handful for the Barbadian defence all game.

Several players made their debut with the World Cup Team including: goalkeeper Greg Sutton, defenders Gabriel Gervais and Adam Braz, midfielders Josh Simpson, Johnny Sulentic, Stathis Kapos, and David Frondimadis.

Yallop played four Olympic team players as a result of injuries.

“It’s good to start off with a win,” said Yallop. ”We had to make some adjustments and several players earned their first caps tonight. It was a great opportunity to see what some of these players can do.”

The Canadian team returns to Florida on Monday to continue their camp until Friday.

January 18, 2004 – International Friendly
Bridgetown, Barbados
Canada 1 (1)
Barbados 0 (0)
Goals: Canada – Carlo Corrazin (10)
Greg Sutton; Nevio Pizzolitto (Adam Braz, 42); Chris Pozniak; Gabriel Gervais; Mark Watson – C; Nick Dasovic; Patrice Bernier (David Frondimadis, 90+); Johnny Sulentic (Stathis Kapos, 75); Corrazin (Rob Friend, 62); Martin Nash (Josh Simpson, 55); Dwayne de Rosario; Head Coach: Frank Yallop
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old January 19th, 2004, 16:20
Legend

Yallop successful in soccer coaching debut

Canada defeated 111th ranked Barbados in a friendly match.

BRIDGETOWN, Barbados (CP) -- Veteran striker Carlo Corazzin scored in the 10th minute to give Canada a 1-0 exhibition soccer win over Barbados on Sunday night in Frank Yallop's first game as head coach.

"I thought we handled ourselves very well," said Yallop, who took over the national team on Jan. 1 in the wake of Holger Osieck's departure. "We played with some spirit and endeavour.

"We played with some creativity but . . . I would have liked us to score more goals. But having said that, we created some great chances, couldn't quite pull the trigger at the right time because of the (bumpy) field.

"We did well, we worked hard and I think we definitely deserved the win," he added.

The victory snapped a four-game losing streak for the Canadian men.

With most of his European-based players still with their clubs, Yallop's starting 11 consisted almost entirely of North American-based players. Defender Mark Watson, in his 70th appearance for Canada, captained the side.

Eight of Canada's starting 11 play in the A-League, including four from the Montreal Impact and three from the Vancouver Whitecaps. Another plays in the MLS and the remaining two in Europe. Three of the starters won their first cap for Canada at this level.

Barbados is ranked No. 111 in the world to No. 87 for Canada.

"A win's a win and I'm really happy with the performance, to be honest," said Yallop.

The goal started with a pass from the back from defender Nevio Pizzolitto. Striker Dwayne De Rosario beat a defender and slid the ball across the penalty box for Corazzin to slot it home.

It was the 11th goal in 58 internationals for the Vancouver Whitecaps striker.

"A real nice move," said Yallop. "Good sharp play by the two forwards playing close together and a good finish."

Goalkeeper Greg Sutton won his first cap for Canada in goal, behind a backline of Pizzolitto, Watson, Gabe Gervais and Chris Pozniak.

Sutton was goalie of the year in the A-League last season while Gervais took top defender honours.

The midfield was Patrice Bernier, Nick Dasovic, Johnny Sulentic and Martin Nash with Corazzin and De Rosario up front.

In addition to Sutton, Sulentic and Gervais made their international debut at the senior level.

Other first cap winners were substitutes Adam Braz, Josh Simpson, Stathis Kapos and David Fronimadis.

Pizzolitto left the game early with a groin pull. Striker Rob Friend also came on as a substitute.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old January 20th, 2004, 00:07 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Star Player

Thanks for the news, ED!

Not an impressive outing, but it does break our losing streak.

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old January 20th, 2004, 18:21
Legend

I follow Canadian soccer closley, and one problem has always been depth.

To start the team isn't really strong, so you obviously will not have great depth.

Having said that, I really believe that Canada with Yallop can make it to the World Cup.

I know it sounds crazy but look, the reality is, they are in CONCACAF. This division is very weak.

You can count on the Americans, and Mexicans to get in.

For the third place though there really isn't any team that stands out.

I'm not even that high on the Mexicans.

Costa Rica is ranked higher, but definetley beatable.

and everyone else is really not that impressive.

Huge problem for Canada, that can be fixed I think, is defensive play.

In the friendlies it was evident that some main things were not done, that any manager should make their team do.

In the game against Ireland, the defence and midfield were to far away from each other, there was this huge gap in the middle with no pressure on the Irish players, and Damien Duff just came from his own side, went untouched all the way to the Canadian goal, with an amazing run, and made a move on the Canadian defenders and put it in. It looked like a goal Pele or Maradona would score.

You dont see these kind of goals on Luxembourg or San Marino.

So those kinds of things can be fixed properly.

I dont think Canada has that great team, outside of Radzniski, Stalteri and Peschesolido.

Radzniski is up another level from these two players. He is a solid striker, someone who can score.

Stalteri can rise at times to the occasion, but two streaky, and definetley not on the same skill level or finishing as Radzinski.

and Peschesolido is really the guy that can come up with the big goals, with good timing. He has the ability to get that extra jump and give a team the spark.

Outside of these guys, its a weak lineup.

However, this is CONCACAF, and with these three guys, Canada looks pretty good against these other teams in the division.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old January 20th, 2004, 23:41 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Star Player

Interesting observations, and I agree with much of what you say about the team and the players. The three strikers you mention are good, but I believe they need to have a strong midfield to serve them the ball (or at least that's what they are used to having in their club play), and that's where Canada is not strong.

But I think you are selling CONCACAF short. Teams like Trinidad, Jamaica, and Cuba have improved in recent years and can give Canada a very tough time. True they are all "beatable", but Canada has to be on its top game to beat them.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old January 21st, 2004, 12:30
LIT
Star Player

Teams: Atlético Madrid, AC Parma, 1.FC Nürnberg, AC Milan
Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff
Interesting observations, and I agree with much of what you say about the team and the players. The three strikers you mention are good, but I believe they need to have a strong midfield to serve them the ball (or at least that's what they are used to having in their club play), and that's where Canada is not strong.
Do you see Stalteri as a striker???

Well he is an allrounder who can play almost every position, but with Radzinski and Peschisolido the 2 striker positions are set very well IMO.

An I rate Stalteri better in a midfield or even defender role.

What do you think?
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old January 21st, 2004, 14:36
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
Legend

Teams: Swiss bikini team
Quote:
Originally posted by ED123
I follow Canadian soccer closley, and one problem has always been depth.

To start the team isn't really strong, so you obviously will not have great depth.

Having said that, I really believe that Canada with Yallop can make it to the World Cup.

I know it sounds crazy but look, the reality is, they are in CONCACAF. This division is very weak.

You can count on the Americans, and Mexicans to get in.

For the third place though there really isn't any team that stands out.

I'm not even that high on the Mexicans.

Costa Rica is ranked higher, but definetley beatable.

and everyone else is really not that impressive.

Huge problem for Canada, that can be fixed I think, is defensive play.

In the friendlies it was evident that some main things were not done, that any manager should make their team do.

In the game against Ireland, the defence and midfield were to far away from each other, there was this huge gap in the middle with no pressure on the Irish players, and Damien Duff just came from his own side, went untouched all the way to the Canadian goal, with an amazing run, and made a move on the Canadian defenders and put it in. It looked like a goal Pele or Maradona would score.

You dont see these kind of goals on Luxembourg or San Marino.

So those kinds of things can be fixed properly.

I dont think Canada has that great team, outside of Radzniski, Stalteri and Peschesolido.

Radzniski is up another level from these two players. He is a solid striker, someone who can score.

Stalteri can rise at times to the occasion, but two streaky, and definetley not on the same skill level or finishing as Radzinski.

and Peschesolido is really the guy that can come up with the big goals, with good timing. He has the ability to get that extra jump and give a team the spark.

Outside of these guys, its a weak lineup.

However, this is CONCACAF, and with these three guys, Canada looks pretty good against these other teams in the division.

Dude , Mexico beat brazil twice last yr
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old January 21st, 2004, 21:09
Legend

Jonny, I guess its because the times I have seen them play, maybe they didn't have their best lineups, because nobody stood out.

but they will surley make it. I know they have a good team.

and I agree with who said that Stalteri is a better mid/defender than striker.

I dont think he has really what it takes to be a great striker. He is perfect to be a midfielder though. He does have some creativity, or as someone mentioned a defender on the right side would not be a bad option either.

In the context if you were to look at midfielders and defenders world wide, I dont think he is good, but he is ok I would say. He gets the job done.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old January 22nd, 2004, 07:00 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Star Player

Maybe Yallop has other ideas, but Stalteri has been used as a striker for Canada up to now.

But without a lot of help from the midfield, being a striker for Canada is more like being an attacking midfirlder anyway.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old January 22nd, 2004, 21:34
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
Legend

Teams: Swiss bikini team
Concacaf's best in 2003

USA W 10 T 2
Costa Rica(They had a good worldcup tournament) W 10 T 1
Mexico and US..in the 2nd rd of the WorldCup
Mexico GoldCup champs beating Brazil for the cup

Jamaica
Fuller and Damani Ralph at Fowards! Andy Williams , and a good ass keeper!

Concacaf is getting better and so e.....Canada

Concacaf aint easy anymore
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old January 23rd, 2004, 00:31
Legend

Tactics have always been a crucial part of sports, but in soccer it is that much more important.

The success of this team is in Yallop's hands.

He has to do the following correctley:

1) Team Selection

Since there is not many players to choose from, the selection isn't going to be very difficult.

2) Formation

Canada cannot play all out attack. There needs to be 5 man back, the usual is 4. IMO there needs to be an extra man back there. At the same time, I dont believe that 1 striker can get the job done. So a 5-3-2, in some variation is what I think they need.

3) Positioning and Basics 101

I think this team needs to go back to the basics. They need to learn good positional play and good solid movement with each other. To many times, with no matter what coach, we see the forwards to far away from mid, and the mid to far from the defence. Without these basics, nothing will happen. You are going to lose close games.

4) Tactics (mixed passing, long, short, pressing, man/man)

This of course will be crucial too. And it is a huge chunk.
I think Canada needs to go with mixed passing.
Since there is 5 men back, and only 3 in the mid, there are less options. Too many times Canada's players think too much and nothing happens.

Canada can control the ball, and do short passes on the back line (defenders) and show patients, when there is room in the mid, get the ball there, and then a long ball ahead or a through ball and the attackers are in for a chance.

The key with this formation would be patience in the back line, if they can find the man in mid, the middielders will not have to think as much.

I dont think long balls are an option since there would be a loss of possesion too much, and loss of possesion tends to make teams panic.

Other things also: if the team will press or stay back ? offside trap or man to man ? passing ? yes mixed but where ? down the sides/middle/just one side ? etc.

5) Finally, role/positions selection

As we have talked about, Yallop needs to select players in the proper positions.

We talked about Stalteri, and we said we think he is better midfielder than attacker, well we will see what Yallop decides.

We will also see how he fits the other players in the squad.

It is also important that each player knows their role on the team obviously.

So there are obviously many things he can do to put Canada on solid ground before the game begins.

=================================

And johnny, I agree. It is improving.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old January 23rd, 2004, 22:47 Thread Starter
Forum Manager
Star Player

Quote:
Originally posted by ED123
1) Team Selection

Since there is not many players to choose from, the selection isn't going to be very difficult.
Actually, the player pool is at least 40 players and growing, as Yallop starts giving a chance to the A-League players who never got the nod from Osieck.

I think team selection will be dictated in large part, as it usually is, by who is available to play. There's always a lot of our top players injured at any given time. We also have big problems getting players released from European teams for friendlies.

Then again, Canada has a chronic shortage of good strikers. If we can get three of them for each match, we'll be doing well.
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old January 25th, 2004, 19:19
Legend

ok..just most managers have the whole home league to look at.

So lets say 16 teams are in the top division in the league * 20 players/team, thats 320 players to look at in the domestic league. This is excluding the 1st division and other bottom divisions (since some guys still deserve it from these divsions).

And then there is at least 20-30 players to look at that play abroad.

Now obviously all the players in the domestic league would not be Canadian, but since it would be no premier league of the world, 90% of the players would be Canadian.

Even, in popular leagues around the world, they have 70% of domination with their own players.

Canada needs a good league, so there is a lot to choose from.

40 is ok, but most other countries have at least 200 players to look at.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in