Who are your best players and is your futebol improving and is getting bad - Xtratime Community
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old May 28th, 2003, 04:11 Thread Starter
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
Legend
 
Jonny Knoxville's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05 2002
Location: From Earth
Teams: Swiss bikini team
Posts: 14,769
Who are your best players and is your futebol improving and is getting bad



what..and is getting bad :depress:


Or it is getting worser , that is more like it

Last edited by Jonny Knoxville; May 28th, 2003 at 04:15.
Jonny Knoxville is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old May 28th, 2003, 16:43
Premier Player
 
icarus7's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01 2002
Location: Toronto
Teams: Portugal NT
Posts: 1,199
I'll give you my opinion based on my experience in playing competative soccer from age of 8 to 16....and then good level mens leagues from 23 to the present age of 30...

we here have a wonderful young players who are born into soccer as a result of being portuguese, italian, South American, Croation etc etc...so these young guys start as i did at 8 and develop into some excellent players (as i did ) till the age of 15 or 16 and then what happens??? there is nowhere else to go....we don't have the proper developmental leagues with the proper facilities and tools...unlike football countries (portugal, Italy, mexico, etc etc) our young players have two options...one...they try to get a scholarship to a good NCAA university....and two...take a chance and move to Europe or South AMerica......both are difficult to achieve....

so to answer your question...we are not getting worse, but we certainly can get better if we had the proper tools....it's a shame really....
icarus7 is offline  
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old May 28th, 2003, 18:29
Forum Manager
Star Player
 
Jeff's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03 2000
Location: Toronto
Teams: Toronto FC, Fiorentina, Barįa
Posts: 4,742
Our national team is improving, very slowly, largely due to the foreign-based players. Our lack of a domestic professional league is definitely a hindrance, but I also agree with icarus7 that we lack the infrastructure at the basic amateur levels to develop our players.

We don't lack for talent. We lack coaching and money.
Jeff is offline  
 
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old May 29th, 2003, 05:05
Premier Player
 
Kiel's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06 2000
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,072
Yes, its very hard for kids. Im at that age now where I cant play rep soccer anymore, and school soccer is over. No scholarships and theres no clear cut options for me. There is a development team near me, but not alot of options. We need schools, places where kids can go at an early age to develop there skils and then give them a place to go to showcase them
Kiel is offline  
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old May 29th, 2003, 13:00 Thread Starter
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
Legend
 
Jonny Knoxville's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05 2002
Location: From Earth
Teams: Swiss bikini team
Posts: 14,769
Interesting thanks .

MLS and Canada-it might happen one day and that could help your youngies to develop(the talent is there , i concur). Did you know- Donovon is half Canadian(his father is) , i did not know that until recently
Jonny Knoxville is offline  
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old May 29th, 2003, 16:46
Premier Player
 
icarus7's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01 2002
Location: Toronto
Teams: Portugal NT
Posts: 1,199
Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff
Our national team is improving, very slowly, largely due to the foreign-based players. Our lack of a domestic professional league is definitely a hindrance, but I also agree with icarus7 that we lack the infrastructure at the basic amateur levels to develop our players.

We don't lack for talent. We lack coaching and money.
that's exactly right Jeff...no money and no coaches...

there is also the lack of "scouting"...we don't have enough knowledgeable individuals who can attend tournaments and games which are not in the spotlight...many of these young kids do not come from "well to do families" who can afford to send their kids for tryouts with higher profiled teams...so you have very gifted kids playing in smaller leagues who never get a chance of playing in a good tournament....if you look at our hockey system we have the A, AA, AAA, Junior A etc etc...these leagues have abundance of scouts who look for these "naturally talented kids"..but in soccer we're victims of the system...i have played indoor against some CPSL players and i'll be honest with you...i've seen better players in smaller leagues...i've played against some of the Lynx players...same thing...we have talent but their not being discovered and given the opportunities....

i hope with more money we can see better leagues developed, a couple of canadian teams in the American league (it's not a bad league) and the developing of scouts and coaches...and finally facilities...good facilities...not the crap that i play on ...i play at Centennial and it's like playing in a forest...my ankles are all screwed up from my first game this past Tuesday...we need better fields....

that is all...
icarus7 is offline  
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old May 29th, 2003, 17:35
Star Player
 
Mendieta's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06 2001
Location: Canada
Teams: Real Madrid, Real Valladolid, Toronto FC
Posts: 4,469
Quote:
Originally posted by icarus7
that's exactly right Jeff...no money and no coaches...

there is also the lack of "scouting"...we don't have enough knowledgeable individuals who can attend tournaments and games which are not in the spotlight...many of these young kids do not come from "well to do families" who can afford to send their kids for tryouts with higher profiled teams...so you have very gifted kids playing in smaller leagues who never get a chance of playing in a good tournament....if you look at our hockey system we have the A, AA, AAA, Junior A etc etc...these leagues have abundance of scouts who look for these "naturally talented kids"..but in soccer we're victims of the system...i have played indoor against some CPSL players and i'll be honest with you...i've seen better players in smaller leagues...i've played against some of the Lynx players...same thing...we have talent but their not being discovered and given the opportunities....

i hope with more money we can see better leagues developed, a couple of canadian teams in the American league (it's not a bad league) and the developing of scouts and coaches...and finally facilities...good facilities...not the crap that i play on ...i play at Centennial and it's like playing in a forest...my ankles are all screwed up from my first game this past Tuesday...we need better fields....

that is all...
Yeah, what's with some of the fields in Toronto???? Man, it's like playing on mine fields! By the way icarus7, since you've played competitive soccer for so long, what advice can you give for overcoming self-confidence. I'm actually a fairly decent player and have played since i was a kid, however I've always had more of a mental problem on the field more than a skill or techincal problem. I focus way too much on my mistakes and as result it gets worse throughout the season until my confidence really effects my game. The funny thing is when I just play a casual rec game I'm very good, it seems that the level of competitiveness in real games really effects me. Have you ever had this problem or can you suggest anything to try to build my self-confidence.

Viva Real Madrid y Espaņa!
Mendieta is offline  
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old May 30th, 2003, 01:24
Rising Star
 
Join Date: 06 2000
Posts: 384
Playing the top level in Ontario I have seen many great Canadian players.....watch out for these players:

Jonathan de Guzman 16 years old (Feyernoord)
Frank Bruno 18 years old (University of Syracuse)
Atiba Hutchinson (swedish first division)
David Guzman (rejected FC Porto looking to play Spanish Primera- has Spanish passport)
Davide Di Giulio (rejected ncaa scholarships looking towards as roma youth team)
De Zerbi is offline  
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old May 30th, 2003, 05:26
Premier Player
 
Join Date: 01 2002
Posts: 2,027
best now id say:

De Guzman, de Vos, Radz ( ), Brennan (rejuvenated at Notts), and Staltieri
Dj Domino is offline  
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old June 2nd, 2003, 00:26
Premier Player
 
Jamal's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05 2001
Location: Montreal, Canada
Teams: England, Canada
Posts: 2,160
Iain Hume of Tranmere Rovers is good, he's a fast runner and only 19 years old. I think he's still with the U20 team though.
Jamal is offline  
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old June 2nd, 2003, 17:14
Premier Player
 
icarus7's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01 2002
Location: Toronto
Teams: Portugal NT
Posts: 1,199
Quote:
Originally posted by Mendieta
Yeah, what's with some of the fields in Toronto???? Man, it's like playing on mine fields! By the way icarus7, since you've played competitive soccer for so long, what advice can you give for overcoming self-confidence. I'm actually a fairly decent player and have played since i was a kid, however I've always had more of a mental problem on the field more than a skill or techincal problem. I focus way too much on my mistakes and as result it gets worse throughout the season until my confidence really effects my game. The funny thing is when I just play a casual rec game I'm very good, it seems that the level of competitiveness in real games really effects me. Have you ever had this problem or can you suggest anything to try to build my self-confidence.
hey Medieta..how are ya???

first the fields...they are so freaking horrible...it is so bad that they've cancelled games at Centennial until they fix them...thank God tonight's game as G Ross Park...

With regards to self confidence...every player i have ever played with has had that problem...including myself... when it comes to practices and friendly games, we play out of skins...the reason??? comfort...in games which mean little we're not afraid to make mistakes, so we have less pressure...but once the pressure is on, we are more afraid to make a mistake rather than doing what comes natural....i'll give you an example...i'm a playmaker...during my practices and friendlies, i've been able to feel comfortable on the ball which allows me to be confident in my dribbling, but our first real game of the season, i fealt tight and uncomfortable....but i played a more simple game....

I'm sure you'll notice that as the season progresses, you get better...the reason??/ you become more and more comfortable...the only way you'll get over this, is by playing more and more competative games....the more you play, the more your mind will adapt...rembember, it's your mind that does it...your body is ready to do what it needs to do, but your mind reacts to the stresses....

another thing you have to look at is your teammates and coaches...are they the type who reacts by yelling with negative comments if you make a mistake??? if so, this is another reason for your difference in playing...you're mind is anticipating someone yelling at you for making a mistake, so you don't concentrate on your strengths....

if you find yourself playing poorly, try to simplify your game until your comfort level gets better...so, if you find yourself in a situation where in practice you'd try to dribble past a player, slow it down and pass to an open man....the more you get into the game, even if it is a simpler game, the more comfortable you'll get which will allow you to play better....

Mendieta my friend, the only real way of getting better is by playing...over and over again...the more you play, the easier it gets...unfortunately i only play once a week unlike when i was young where we played league games, cup games and practiced....

so where are you playing now???

good luck...
icarus7 is offline  
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old June 2nd, 2003, 19:43
Star Player
 
Mendieta's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06 2001
Location: Canada
Teams: Real Madrid, Real Valladolid, Toronto FC
Posts: 4,469
Quote:
Originally posted by icarus7
hey Medieta..how are ya???

first the fields...they are so freaking horrible...it is so bad that they've cancelled games at Centennial until they fix them...thank God tonight's game as G Ross Park...

With regards to self confidence...every player i have ever played with has had that problem...including myself... when it comes to practices and friendly games, we play out of skins...the reason??? comfort...in games which mean little we're not afraid to make mistakes, so we have less pressure...but once the pressure is on, we are more afraid to make a mistake rather than doing what comes natural....i'll give you an example...i'm a playmaker...during my practices and friendlies, i've been able to feel comfortable on the ball which allows me to be confident in my dribbling, but our first real game of the season, i fealt tight and uncomfortable....but i played a more simple game....

I'm sure you'll notice that as the season progresses, you get better...the reason??/ you become more and more comfortable...the only way you'll get over this, is by playing more and more competative games....the more you play, the more your mind will adapt...rembember, it's your mind that does it...your body is ready to do what it needs to do, but your mind reacts to the stresses....

another thing you have to look at is your teammates and coaches...are they the type who reacts by yelling with negative comments if you make a mistake??? if so, this is another reason for your difference in playing...you're mind is anticipating someone yelling at you for making a mistake, so you don't concentrate on your strengths....

if you find yourself playing poorly, try to simplify your game until your comfort level gets better...so, if you find yourself in a situation where in practice you'd try to dribble past a player, slow it down and pass to an open man....the more you get into the game, even if it is a simpler game, the more comfortable you'll get which will allow you to play better....

Mendieta my friend, the only real way of getting better is by playing...over and over again...the more you play, the easier it gets...unfortunately i only play once a week unlike when i was young where we played league games, cup games and practiced....

so where are you playing now???

good luck...
Thanks for the advice icarus7! I have noticed my game getting a little better the last few games. Actually, I don't play for a rep team anymore. Don't have the time for traveling, so I just play in the Ajax Adult Recreational Soccer League. It's pretty much a house league, however it's fairly competitive with a pre-season draft and everything from ages 19- 35. Some of the players are really good and have played for Ajax Warriors or Oshawa, etc...

Viva Real Madrid y Espaņa!
Mendieta is offline  
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old June 2nd, 2003, 21:32
Premier Player
 
icarus7's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01 2002
Location: Toronto
Teams: Portugal NT
Posts: 1,199
Quote:
Originally posted by Mendieta
Thanks for the advice icarus7! I have noticed my game getting a little better the last few games. Actually, I don't play for a rep team anymore. Don't have the time for traveling, so I just play in the Ajax Adult Recreational Soccer League. It's pretty much a house league, however it's fairly competitive with a pre-season draft and everything from ages 19- 35. Some of the players are really good and have played for Ajax Warriors or Oshawa, etc...
Glad to hear that it's getting better...i'm sure you're a great player...

House League or Rep, it's just great to play the game...especially as you get older...I certainly notice the difference the way i play now that i'm 30....these young guys can certainly run alot..tough to keep up on the run...

so good luck Mendieta for the rest of the season..
icarus7 is offline  
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old June 3rd, 2003, 01:58
Star Player
 
Michael's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10 2002
Location: Starting to forget
Teams: Inter Milan
Posts: 2,575
Quote:
Originally posted by De Zerbi
Playing the top level in Ontario I have seen many great Canadian players.....watch out for these players:

Jonathan de Guzman 16 years old (Feyernoord)
Frank Bruno 18 years old (University of Syracuse)
Atiba Hutchinson (swedish first division)
David Guzman (rejected FC Porto looking to play Spanish Primera- has Spanish passport)
Davide Di Giulio (rejected ncaa scholarships looking towards as roma youth team)
de Guzman is good ...

Guzman can be too small ...
Bruno is good ...

Di Iulio is a good player ... solid defender ...
Michael is offline  
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old June 3rd, 2003, 23:00
Legend
 
Kiyan's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09 2000
Teams: Los Merengues, La Furia Roja, Teem Melli
Posts: 17,451
Quote:
Originally posted by icarus7
another thing you have to look at is your teammates and coaches...are they the type who reacts by yelling with negative comments if you make a mistake??? if so, this is another reason for your difference in playing...you're mind is anticipating someone yelling at you for making a mistake, so you don't concentrate on your strengths....
Something I have to go through every game, my coach is smart and knows alot about football. But he simply is a prick. Everytime you get the ball you pray you do something good with it or else you will be yelled at. Something i've never felt before playing for different coaches.

Mendieta? Where you live in Toronto? I think some of my friends play in that league

sup
Kiyan is offline  
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old June 9th, 2003, 19:37
Star Player
 
Mendieta's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06 2001
Location: Canada
Teams: Real Madrid, Real Valladolid, Toronto FC
Posts: 4,469
Quote:
Originally posted by Kiyan
Something I have to go through every game, my coach is smart and knows alot about football. But he simply is a prick. Everytime you get the ball you pray you do something good with it or else you will be yelled at. Something i've never felt before playing for different coaches.

Mendieta? Where you live in Toronto? I think some of my friends play in that league
Hey Kiyan,

I actually live downtown near Yonge and Eglinton. But I make the trip to Ajax to play in the league. I've been playing there for over 4 years now. Yeah, it's a great league. Alot of the players are very good. If anyone is interested in joing for next season here is the website http://www.shotonnet.com.

Hey icarus! I scored my first goal of the season!
1 goal in 2 games! Not bad. And I'm not even a forward, I play left half. Thanks for the advice. I did what you said, I just played a simple game and tried to bring game down to basic passes and nothing to spectacular. Now I see my touches getting better and better. Man, it was great goal, I recieved a nice pass as I cut in from the left wing. I ran into the box and put it through the goalie's legs. Man, it's amazing how much confidence a goal gives you! Later amigos.

Viva Real Madrid y Espaņa!
Mendieta is offline  
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old June 10th, 2003, 02:05
Legend
 
Kiyan's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09 2000
Teams: Los Merengues, La Furia Roja, Teem Melli
Posts: 17,451
Hey Gaizka

Where in TO is this Ajax thing located? And what team do you play for?

sup
Kiyan is offline  
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old June 10th, 2003, 14:31
Star Player
 
Mendieta's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06 2001
Location: Canada
Teams: Real Madrid, Real Valladolid, Toronto FC
Posts: 4,469
Quote:
Originally posted by Kiyan
Hey Gaizka

Where in TO is this Ajax thing located? And what team do you play for?
Well, it's not really T.O, unless you consider Ajax part of T.O.
The league is played in Ajax and Whitby, it's kind of far, but if you enjoy playing in the summer, it's a great league. I play for a team called bsharp. That's basically the name of our sponsor. All the teams are just known by their sponsor name. You should check it out next summer. You can get a registration form at the beginning of every season at www.shotonnet.com. Later.

Viva Real Madrid y Espaņa!
Mendieta is offline  
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old June 10th, 2003, 19:02
Premier Player
 
icarus7's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01 2002
Location: Toronto
Teams: Portugal NT
Posts: 1,199
Quote:
Originally posted by Kiyan
Something I have to go through every game, my coach is smart and knows alot about football. But he simply is a prick. Everytime you get the ball you pray you do something good with it or else you will be yelled at. Something i've never felt before playing for different coaches.

Mendieta? Where you live in Toronto? I think some of my friends play in that league
yeah i used to have a coach like that as well...Nick..a bit muscular italian guy..always yelling and screaming...so everyone on the team avoided the ball like the plague...nobody wanted to touch it afraid they'll make a mistake..so the game always game to guys just kicking the ball away..then when a good "positive" coach came in, we were more confident that we can learn from our mistakes....we won the York Championships that year....
icarus7 is offline  
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old June 10th, 2003, 19:04
Premier Player
 
icarus7's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01 2002
Location: Toronto
Teams: Portugal NT
Posts: 1,199
Quote:
Originally posted by Mendieta
Hey Kiyan,

I actually live downtown near Yonge and Eglinton. But I make the trip to Ajax to play in the league. I've been playing there for over 4 years now. Yeah, it's a great league. Alot of the players are very good. If anyone is interested in joing for next season here is the website http://www.shotonnet.com.

Hey icarus! I scored my first goal of the season!
1 goal in 2 games! Not bad. And I'm not even a forward, I play left half. Thanks for the advice. I did what you said, I just played a simple game and tried to bring game down to basic passes and nothing to spectacular. Now I see my touches getting better and better. Man, it was great goal, I recieved a nice pass as I cut in from the left wing. I ran into the box and put it through the goalie's legs. Man, it's amazing how much confidence a goal gives you! Later amigos.
that's fantastic Mendieta...great to hear...it sounds like it's going to be a good season for you on a personal level...keep it up my friend...it's early in the season and the confidence will continue to grow...

good luck...
icarus7 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome