Off Topic.. Toronto - Xtratime Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old April 20th, 2003, 21:39 Thread Starter
World Class Player

Off Topic.. Toronto

Hey guys. I may be moving to Toronto starting next year. How does it compare to Montreal? Whats good about the city? Whats bad? Do I have to worry about SARS?

Also, do you know where can I see some pictures of the city (good ones, because all I can find on the net are crappy ones). I've been to TO long ago, but I barely remember anything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old April 21st, 2003, 05:12
Forum Manager
Star Player

Teams: Toronto FC, Fiorentina, Barša
Toronto is a city in decline.

It has been starved of funds by the provincial government and the whole city infrastructure is coming apart.

The transit system is overcrowded, overpriced, and under-serviced.

The schools are falling apart, and crucial programs are being cancelled and cut back.

The local politicians are incompetent and corrupt, as the current MFP inquiry is confirming every day.

Hospitals are understaffed, with emergency patients waiting hours to be attended to.

Poverty is increasing, and homeless shelters are overcrowded. Volunteer-run food banks have replaced public social services as virtually the only support for the poor.

No affordable housing has been built in Toronto for several years. Decent apartments are scarce, and rents are obscene.

The forced amalgamation of the former local governments into one big city has resulted in a city council that is too big to be able to have effective meetings (council meetings last for days on end) and at the same time too small to be responsive to local neighbourhood concerns.

Our pro sports teams suck.

Our weather sucks.

The police are a law unto themselves, and do not answer to any civil authority.

City parks are becoming overgrown with weeds and tall grasses because there is not enough money to pay for their maintenance. Soccer playing fields are an absolute disgrace.

Rising property taxes are driving small businesses into bankruptcy and forcing seniors on fixed incomes to sell their homes.

The city has removed most of the convenient parking meters, and has turned streets into one big municipal parking lot. Now when you park your car, you have to walk down the block to a ticket-dispensing machine and stand in line to purchase a ticket, then walk back to your car to leave the ticket in it, before going about your business.

The main streets and expressways are choking with vehicles. One centimetre of snow is enough to bring it to a complete halt. The drivers are ignorant and incompetent.

Air pollution is worse than it has ever been. The beaches are polluted.

So, if you're used to Montreal, you'll feel right at home here!
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old April 21st, 2003, 14:46 Thread Starter
World Class Player

Cool. Sounds much better than Montreal!

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old April 21st, 2003, 23:48
Forum Manager
Star Player

Teams: Toronto FC
Come to Mississauga

Your 15 minutes out of TO, so you can have all the advantages of the big city, but have none of the disadvantages listed above.

Soy Celeste, Soy Celeste,
Celeste soy yo!
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old April 24th, 2003, 22:24
Star Player

Teams: whitecaps juve chelsea canada
As someone who has visited both cities, Id rather live in Montreal than TO. TO was like a bigger Vancouver but much dirtier and uglier.
Better than the states tho.
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old April 26th, 2003, 16:40
Legend

Teams: Los Merengues, La Furia Roja, Teem Melli
Toronto is a mega city, nothin in Canada even comes close to it's size.

From a person who has visited both cities like 10 times, i'd say Montreal is probably a better place to live in. TO has alot of problems.

sup
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old April 29th, 2003, 06:54 Thread Starter
World Class Player

I think all you guys are being silly, no offense. The fact that you claim Montreal is "better" than Toronto proves that you havent been past St.Catherine street. Walk up or down two blocks and see the true face of this shithole, there is no way in hell this could be better than any other city in Canada.
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old May 1st, 2003, 21:50
Star Player

Teams: Real Madrid, Real Valladolid, Toronto FC
Montreal is nice because of the atmosphere. It's much more European then Toronto and laid back. T.O is one big tight ass city!

Viva Real Madrid y Espa˝a!
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 2003, 00:55
Forum Manager
Star Player

Teams: Toronto FC, Fiorentina, Barša
Au contraire, mon ami.

You won't find a more "European" city in North America than Toronto. But laid back? no.
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 2003, 20:38
Legend

Teams: Los Merengues, La Furia Roja, Teem Melli
Quote:
Originally posted by Sabry
I think all you guys are being silly, no offense. The fact that you claim Montreal is "better" than Toronto proves that you havent been past St.Catherine street. Walk up or down two blocks and see the true face of this shithole, there is no way in hell this could be better than any other city in Canada.
I've been to the ghettoest part of Montreal and I know how much of a shithole parts can be, but which city doesn't have a part like that? For living there's no question, Montreal over Toronto anyday.

sup
post #11 of 40 (permalink) Old May 5th, 2003, 20:23
Star Player

Teams: Real Madrid, Real Valladolid, Toronto FC
Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff
Au contraire, mon ami.

You won't find a more "European" city in North America than Toronto. But laid back? no.
No way man. I've lived in both Montreal and Toronto. Toronto doesn't have anything European about it, other than the Greek and Italian neighbourhoods. Montreal on the other hand especially the old part totally feels like Europe. Besides, I'm talking more about the atmosphere. In Montreal people live more and enjoy more than in T.O.

Viva Real Madrid y Espa˝a!
post #12 of 40 (permalink) Old May 6th, 2003, 03:21
Legend
Legend

Teams: Magico Milan/Les Bleus
200% agreed with Mendi about his comments on TO VS Montreal...

"En su vida, un hombre puede cambiar de mujer, sus opiniones politicas o su religion pero no su equipo de futbol." Eduardo Galeano, Uruguayen poet.

FORZA MAGICO MILAN!
ALLEZ LES BLEUS!

Non Vincete MAI!!!

Comprate chi volete, ma il nostro spirito non l'avrete mai!
post #13 of 40 (permalink) Old May 12th, 2003, 07:17
Star Player

Teams: Azzurri, Nerrazzurri
As someone who's recently relocated to T.O. after living in Montreal for 20 years, I choose Montreal over Toronto.

Don't get me wrong, Toronto has many things going for it - there's a lot of people (which can be a plus and a minus), there are more jobs available in most fields (especially in the field I wish to enter - film), and there are many American businesses in T.O. which aren't in Quebec.

There are some downsides, like Jeff mentioned:

There is a serious lack of pay phones. I don't carry a cell phone, and finding a public phone is a pain in the rear.

It's minor, but people really can't cross the street here. They seem to be terrified of breaking the law. I was with a couple of guys downtown (can't remember the street - Church and something, somewhat near the ACC) during a Leaf game so the streets were absolutely deserted. I started crossing the street (at the intersection mind you) and about half-way across I realized I was alone. My buddies were waiting for the light to turn green. On a completely deserted street. It was like something out of the outer limits.

On a related note, Montrealers have a rep as bad drivers because we drive so fast. Well, Torontonians are the anti-Montrealers. They drive so slow you'd be better off walking.

And when there's even just 5-10 centimetres of snow, schools are cancelled and drivers drive about 1 MPH. They called it a storm. The rest of Canada calls it winter.

But the absolute worst thing - Toronto's women, by and large, are plain. Boring. Most are ugly. Sorry, I know I sound like an ass, but it's true. Like walking into a barn in Oklahoma. If you're an eligible bachelor, unless you spend most of your time at the hippest clubs, prepare to be celibate for a while. Either that, or start lowering your standards. We've been spoiled by living in probably the second-best city in North America for beautiful women (Miami being first).

And don't mention Mississauga - aka the 9 o'Clock curfew town. It's for raising families and retiring. Though I don't know your age, so that may be for you.
post #14 of 40 (permalink) Old May 19th, 2003, 03:51 Thread Starter
World Class Player

No, its not for me.. I am 21.

But thanks anyways for your help. I was actually excited about TO, but not anymore.. However, the things you mentioned are quite minor, I was wondering on a larger scale . I heard Toronto was boring, but unless I live there for a long time I have no way of confirming that.
post #15 of 40 (permalink) Old May 19th, 2003, 22:50
Forum Manager
Star Player

Teams: Toronto FC
Actually I am 22, but that what I mean, if I want to go party I hop on the Gardener, and I'm in TO in 15 minutes.

Plus the Sauga is so clean, and not overcrowded. I dont know who your buddies are, but when I'm in TO, people dont know how to cross the street, they just throw themselves infront of your car.

Soy Celeste, Soy Celeste,
Celeste soy yo!
post #16 of 40 (permalink) Old May 19th, 2003, 23:04
Star Player

toronto has a lot of problems as jeff pointed out. ive visited montreal about ten times in my life and havent been all that impressed. economically theres no comparison as im sure we could all agree on. many more jobs here but then the cost of living is also higher, the cost of real estate is probably at 250% the cost in montreal which is considerable to say the least.

there is somewhat of a european feel in parts of toronto but if thats something to base where to live then i really cant say much. theres more important things to consider and certainly montreal has the edge there, albeit more of a wannabe european city if anything.

nightlife is a tough one only because many people seem to consider montreal to have a good nightlife. we have three times the bars/clubs here in TO so you have a good variety. i havent been to montreal in about four or five years so i dont know how the clubs are these days. when i was there last, they were nothing to write home about. but i guess to each their own.

one things for sure, theres plenty to do in toronto and anybody who says its boring just doesnt know how to have a good time. theres always something to do, somewhere to go and the city is almost always vibrant, a lot of people out and about.
post #17 of 40 (permalink) Old May 20th, 2003, 21:09
Premier Player

Teams: Portugal NT
T.O is a fantastic place to live in....you have everything that you should need within the GTA...fantastic restaurants, all kinds of clubs...(jazz, top 40, underground etc etc), crazy amount of cafes of many different cultures...Greek (Danforth), portuguese/italian (St.Clair, College, Highway 7 etc etc)...museums, art galleries, shopping, theaters, and women??? it's like the united nations...every beautiful culture in the world....

the one thing that many do say about montreal is that it tends to be more European...which is nice...but T.O is considered the smaller version of New York....

T.O has it all...enjoy yourself...
post #18 of 40 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 2003, 09:23
World Class Player

Teams: Arsenal
Can we have one debate about TO and Montreal where the nightlife and clubs are not held in such high esteem? Just a guess but I doubt very much that Sabry's moving to Toronto hinges on clubs.

Bottom line Toronto has jobs Montreal does not end of story.

David "Rocky" Rocastle

"Remember who you are, what you are and who you represent." All the young players should understand this.
post #19 of 40 (permalink) Old May 25th, 2003, 16:50 Thread Starter
World Class Player

Thanks icarus and Vampa, thats much better now

Quote:
Originally posted by Tunis4life
Can we have one debate about TO and Montreal where the nightlife and clubs are not held in such high esteem? Just a guess but I doubt very much that Sabry's moving to Toronto hinges on clubs.
True.. Personally, I do not rate a city according to its nightlife neither do I care about nightlife much, but it was interesting to see what other criteria people have for judging a city.

Quote:
Bottom line Toronto has jobs Montreal does not end of story.
Exactly.. Thats the number one factor on my list, especially when you consider the degree/major I just completed.
post #20 of 40 (permalink) Old May 26th, 2003, 16:10
Premier Player

Teams: Portugal NT
Quote:
Originally posted by Sabry
Thanks icarus and Vampa, thats much better now

True.. Personally, I do not rate a city according to its nightlife neither do I care about nightlife much, but it was interesting to see what other criteria people have for judging a city.

Exactly.. Thats the number one factor on my list, especially when you consider the degree/major I just completed.
congratulations on the degree...i'm sure you'll succeed in T.O...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in