Anecdotes, stories and personal experience about Milan - Xtratime Community
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1477 (permalink) Old April 9th, 2002, 05:09 Thread Starter
Legend
Legend

Teams: Magico Milan/Les Bleus
Anecdotes, stories and personal experience about Milan

I was thinking about having a sort of thread where we would post some interesting stories, anecdotes, stats or other interesting facts about Milan, in the 103 years of their glorious history. I will continuously post into this thread. If at any time, anyone of you people has any interesting fact/anecdote/story/stat to share with us, you're all more than welcomed!

First of all, I’d like to start with one anecdote that really amazed me more than probably anything in this thread. You all know the legendary Nils Liedholm, the great Swede, of the 50's of Milan. He was if you want, the Rijkaard of that time, but in even more dominating style, especially technically. Technically, few matched him and his passes were so spot on, so precise, that he never missed a pass. Actually he did miss one pass. It was 3 seasons after he joined Milan, I don’t remember the exact game, or the exact year, but all the old Milan fans are saying it, that at one time, at the San Siro, Liedholm missed a pass in midfield. He wanted to pass the ball to a teammate and instead, the ball went straight to an opponent. At that time, happened one of the most extraordinary moments ever lived in the San Siro, as related by the old timers. The crowd couldn't believe their eyes. In 3 full years, that Liedholm has been playing for Milan, no one could remember him making a bad pass. At that time, the whole San Siro gave Liedholm, one of the warmest and longest standing ovation ever witnessed in that great stadium. The opposition team was going nuts, not understanding what was going on!!!!The standing ovation lasted for 5 whole minutes !!!!Can you believe that???? A 5 minutes standing ovatin for having missed a pass!!!!
FORZA LIEDHOLM !!!

Here's another great anecdote, it goes back to the beginning of the Berlusconi era, in the summer of 1986. In one coup, Berlusconi signed Giovanni Galli and Giuseppe “Nanu” Galderisi, two pillars of La Squadra Azzura of the mid 80’s, plus Daniele Massaro, the defender, Dario Bonetti and the little jewel of Atalanta, Roberto Donadoni. On the last purchase of Donadoni, there’s a legend that people in Milano are still talking about how Berlusconi secured his services. The Atalanta club had and still has a very healthy relationships with Juve, for which Atalanta has allowed Juve to get the following players such Sciera, Cabrini, Fanna, Prandelli, Marocchino but also Solda, Pacione, Magrin, Mirkovic, Vieri and Montero lately. But Berlusconi was in love with Donadoni’s style, and he believed Donadoni to be” the only Italian player able to illuminate the San Siro”.

Here’s how Berlusconi beat all the odds and Juve’s great relationship with Atalanta. Donadoni was on the verge of signing for Juve. That was the very first coup that made it clear that Berlusconi was “one who gets whatever he wants and that even mighty Juve couldn’t resist”. During a high-class party, in his luxurious palace of Arcore, he invited the two Bortolotti, Achille Bortolotti, the father and Cesare the son, the two bosses of Atalanta. In that party, Berlusconi didn’t receive the Atalanta supremos as in a formal way: he received them while wearing his tracking field suit. He had also invited some of his most beautiful ladies from his TV station Italia 1. The wine was flowing freely and the ladies were beautiful and the atmosphere great. To make a long story short, at the end of the party, Berlusconi went to see Bortolotti senior, and gave him a blank cheque, telling him with a large smile: “This is for Donadoni, you name your price”. The Bortolotti were simply puzzled, and that is to put it very mildly.

After this high class evening, the next day, the Bortolotti called a press conference telling about Donadoni’s sale to Milan, in a very enthusiastic tone: “We have never ever encountered anyone like Berlusconi! He has a force, energy extraordinary. And how about the numerous gorgeous ladies…”. He went on to say: “He just made us an offer we simply could not refuse.” Juve had to simply give up on Donadoni and Berlusconi's charisma…then the legend started...

Did you know: that Milan are still the most titled team at the international level? Milan have won 13 international titles, in front of Real Madrid with 12 and Bayern with 12.

FORZA VECCHIO CUORE ROSSONERO!

P.S. A little something to cheer and to remember who we are, in this not so positive moment.

"En su vida, un hombre puede cambiar de mujer, sus opiniones politicas o su religion pero no su equipo de futbol." Eduardo Galeano, Uruguayen poet.

FORZA MAGICO MILAN!
ALLEZ LES BLEUS!

Non Vincete MAI!!!

Comprate chi volete, ma il nostro spirito non l'avrete mai!

Last edited by San Siro; April 9th, 2002 at 05:18.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 1477 (permalink) Old April 9th, 2002, 22:23 Thread Starter
Legend
Legend

From the Forza Milan! Issue of January 2000, about the Centenary of Milan, related by the grandissime Carlo Pellegatti. I have translated it from Italian to English. Enjoy is all I can say!

100 Years Of Victories, by Carlo Pellegati

The ball in the net, players with the Rossonero jersey that are hugging each other, the fans going wild in the stadium. Victory! 100 years have passed, we are in the year 2000, incredible! And the sky of the world, maybe a little bit less polluted before, today a little bit less blue, has seen these scenes of celebrations over and over again, that all have one common name:Milan!

Let us go back in time, in that famous April 14th, 1901, date of the very first victory of Milan's history. The game is held at the Trotter of Piazza Doria, in Milano, the game is between Milan and Mediolanum, already a type of derby. The boys, won 2-0, with goals from Davies and Lies in the very first match of the history of Il Diavolo. Three weeks later, on May 05th, 1901, at the Ponte Carega in Genoa, Milan beat the heavy favorites of Genoa to win their first ever Scudetto.

Let us remain in the beginning of the century. A group of Milanisti went on to create another team, Internazionale. The very first derby in the league was held on January 10th, 1909, at the Civic Arena. Let us imagine a great public in that stadium. In the Curva Sud, let us imagine that the ancestors of the current Fossa dei Leoni, to galvanize and incite the team. Milan scores thanks to Trerè II, then Inter ties with Malcher. Lana and Laich give Milan a 3-1 lead, but we all know that the derbies are rich of suspense. Schuller scores for Inter, all out to attack in the end to tie the game, but in vain, as Radice, the Milan's keeper is doing a great job until the end and Milan wins the first ever derby 3-2.

Milan becomes great again in the beginning of the 1950's, when the Serie A makes its official debuts, as we know it. I now let Giorgio Fattori, as he shares with us the emotions of Gunnar Nordhal, in his book, "Oro e Campi Verdi", as he tells us, the very first great result of this reborn Milan: their 7-1 victory, in Torino against Juventus, on February 05th, 1950. Juve went onto win the Scudetto at the end of that season.

"...I still want to remember that match, that I consider to be my best in Italy. In Torino, against Juventus, 7-1. That day, I scored 3 goals, but my record in Italy is 4, against Triestina and Atalanta ( however, in a game in the Swedish league, i scored once 7 goals!), For a strange reason, my best memories of the Italian league are against Juventus, as in each match against them, i played at my very best of my possibilities." (Gunnar Nordhal).

Another match between Juventus and Milan, that the long timers will never forget, was held on November 16th, 1958 in Torino. The Milan of Altafini, Bean, Grillo and Schiaffino, in the bench, Bonizzoni and Viani. It's an incredible match! The Rossoneri score 3 goals in 33 minutes, with Grillo, Galli and Altafini. Boniperti, just before the half time score for Juve, then Corradi bring the home team within one. Altafinia scores the 4th goal, but Charles and Sivori tie the game in the last minutes of the game at
4-4 that seems to be the final score, when Grillo, with a deadly parabola scores at the 90th minute, the winning goal. It would have been marvelous, fantastic screaming at the microphone of a radio...10, 20, 30 times!

We have mentionned important victories in the league as far as emotions go, but let us spend some time on the very first international victory of Milan, that will forever leave its incredible trace all over the world: Milan-Benfica, finale of the Champions Cup in 1963, in Wembley, London. I still remember myself, a 13 years old kid, glued at the vitrine of an electronics store, which had put a black and white television, which was transmitting the game from the...swedish television, as Rai had incredibly not scheduled the finale of the Champions Cup! However, my father, he had taken the plane for the first time of his life, to be with the boys in London. The boys made us suffer in the first half. Eusebio scores for the Portguese side and the time flies by, Rocco changes the tactics, but the tying goal doesn't come. Then, suddenly, everything changes. Altafini, inspired by Rivera, under the guidance of Dino Sani. Milan ties the game. Then, the winning goal comes at the end, logically, may i add, with a great run, from midfield and then, it finishes in the net thanks to Altafini's scoring instincts. The Milan captain, Cesare Maldini, at the end of the game, in that far away but vivid and glorious 22nd of May 1963, can embrace the cup in his hands, the first Champions Cup of Milan's history, but also of Italian football.

Now, i want to tell you about not a victory, but of the match most..it's not easy defining it: strange or if you prefer, incredible of the past 40 years. It didn't happen to a lot of fans who have left the San Siro with a great win and end up at home, with a ...tie. But yes, it did happen to me and to all those present at the San Siro, in this day of 16th of October 1966. The game in question is Milan-Lazio. Bagatti scores for Lazio, Rosatto ties it at the 52nd minute, and then, Rivera offered us the winning goal, 5 minutes from the end. The referee Angonese whistles the end of the match. I leave the San Siro to go home with my father, happy of this nice win. When I arrive at home, my mother was expecting us, with the habitual sunday Chocolate feast and she said:"Too bad for tying the game in the very last minute." "No mother, I answer, look Rivera scored the winning goal, we have won!". "No, it ended tied". I had seen with my eyes the players leaving the field. What had happened? The ref had whistle the end of the game in a premature way. So he had to call all the players back on the field. Some players were already under the shower and they had to dress again to come on the field to play an extra 5 minutes! And 2 minutes from the end of this extra 5 minutes, Bagatti scored the 2-2 goal!

Nereo Rocco comes back to Milan and as a result, so do the great triumphs internationally and the great achievements. Let us now spend some time on one of the most memorable nights of Milan's history. Madrid, May 28th, 1969, finale of the Champions Cup between Milan and Ajax. An old plane had taken my dad and I, along other Milanisti such as the Di Floriani twins, the founders of the Milan Club Donne Rossonere (Women Milan Fan Club), my friend Luigi Puricelli and other Milan Fan Clubs such as sthe Milan Club Forlanini at the Santiago Bernabeu, where Rivera and Prati, offered us an extraordinary and unforgettable evening. I had a seat very close to the field and i was able to taste and appreciate from close range, to Gianni's (Rivera) finesse, and the three goals of Pierino (Prati). At the end of the match, i couldn't resist and I also went onto the field, with loads of other Milanisti in a complete state of transe. It was my first and only invasion of a football field...without a microphone.

During the 70's, I remember two particular victories: the first one is the 3-2 win against Inter, on the 27th of November of 1971. One could very well and rightfully ask:"What's the big deal about beating Inter?. The answer is simple: never has Milan beaten Inter in the last 5 minutes, with an anthological goal from Albertino Bigon, after having casually intercepted an Inter attack. Another unforgettable result, the biggest win of Milan in Serie A, is the 9-3 win over Atalanta, on October 15th, 1972. The Milan attack was composed of Bigon, Benetti, Prati, Rivera, Chiarugi. The San Siro board was filled, to say the least with the 3 goals of Pierino, Rivera and Bigon, each scoring 2 and the goals of Chiarugi and Benetti.

Two other results at the end of this same decade (70's) are still in my mind as if they were yesterday. The victory in another derby, with goals from Maldera and Braglia, in the very hot night of July 03rd, 1977 (finale of Coppa Italia) and a very emotional 2-1 win over Verona, in the year of the 10th Scudetto. Yes, on April 22nd, 1979, the Gialloblu of Verona, were causing us another bad moment, after having prevented us from winning our 10th scudetto 5 years ago. At half time, the atmosphere was filled with doubts, and memories of old nightmares with Verona in the past, then, Rivera, changed it all, few minutes after the start of the 2nd half, but the goal of delivrance, the one that offered us the 10th Scudetto arrived only 6 minutes from the end, thanks to Novellino.

The first half of the 80's, is marked by one vivid image: Mark Hately, during the afternoon of October 28th, 1984, jumps higher than Collovati and with a tremendous header, beats Inter's goal-keeper, Walter Zenga. From then on, I would like to have only one quality: that of being able to synthesize and summarize everything. Yes because after 1987, Milan won eveything and more; unforgettable matches, extraordinary successes, irrepetible and unmatchable achievements with the signature of Silvio Berlusconi. A huge joy for the deprived Rossonero people, was offered by Daniele Massaro, on May 22nd, 1987, in the play-off spot for the UEFA cup, between Milan and Sampdoria. The winning goal arrived at the 106th minute, in overtime. The goal was beautiful, but the party and celebrations of the after game, in that hot afternoon in Torino were unforgettable.

The following season saw a stratospheric Milan against Napoli, at the San Siro, 4-1, in a match that officially and definitely crowned Gullit as the new king of Serie A; a Milan of an embarrassing superiority over Inter in the derby won 2-0, with goals from Gullit and Virdis; an emotionally unforgettable and incredible Milan when in Napoli, on May 01st, 1988, along the applauses and standing ovation at the end of the game by the Napoli public, they beat Maradona and and co 3-2, winning in the same time, the Scudetto. What an afternoon! What a finale of the season with my friends Susini, Taveggia, Serafini, celebrating with the boys, screaming in the mic, hugging and kissing the boys at the end of the match! And the 1000's of Milanisti present that day, can all say:"I was there!". And i'm sure that these same fans, were also there, on April 19th, 1989, at the San Siro, for this epic Champions Cup 1/2 final 2nd leg against Real Madrid, where the boys, led by an archi-dominating Carlo Ancelotti in midfield, gave a lesson of football not only to Real Madrid, but to all of the world, by destroying Real 5-0! I'm also certain that those who were there, were also present a month later, at the Nou Camp, in Barcelona, where the boys accompagnied by the biggest movement of fans, not only in the history of football, but of all sports with a massive 90, 000 fans going to Barcelona by all means, (plane, train, bus, cars, motorcycles, boat, etc..) to see Milan destroy Steaua Bucarest, 4-0 in an incredible and monumental performance. That performance was acclaimed worldwide and the biggest acclaim came from France's leading daily sports paper, L'Equipe, the next day with this comment:" We knew the game of football, before yesterday. We have just witnessed and discovered the football of Milan, a football that will change the face of this game in the future. A team of Extraterrestrials" .

During the 1990's, the achievements of Capello and of his players have all now become a myth and a legend, but among all of these, two remain in my mind and heart more than any other. The one that really puts me in a total state of joy is the fantastic match on May 18th, 1994, in Athens, in the final of the Champions Cup against the heavy favorits of Barcelona. On that day, Milan are playing Cruyff's impetuous Barcelona, the heavy favorites, without Baresi and Costacurta! It was a pure triumph on every aspect:the triumph of the class, of the perseverance, of the "carattere", of the tactics and stratgey put forth by the master mind of Capello. The result is without the doubt of any shadow: 4-0 in another one of those magical nights, made in Magico Milan.

Another date that will always remain in my mind and heart of the 90's, is one that not a lot of people will remember, but it will remain nonetheless in the archives of football history, and also in the future of football's history, is the 27th of February of 1994. In that day, Seba Rossi beat the old record of Dino Zoff of the most minutes not conceeding a goal. Zoff's record was an incredible 903 minutes! Seba pulverized it and took it to a place unreachable by reaching 929 minutes! At around 16:00, Sebastiano Rossi, against Foggia beat that record, with 929 minutes. Meditate about that people! I am certain that your grandsons, will be asking you, 40 years from now: "Were you there 40 years ago, when Rossi beat the record of most minutes without conceeding a goal? A record that has still not been beaten!" And that question, i will be asking you all in...2034!

In closing of these indelebile memories, i want to spend some time on the latest great moment, notably the Milan-Empoli of May 16th, 1999. Not so much for the easy victory (4-0), but for the emotions, for the anxiety around it, with the Milan fans, with one ear in the radio to follow the result of Fiorentina-Lazio and the other, at the San Siro. Milan overcame Lazio on that 2nd last day of the season. Overcoming Lazio was an incredible and unforgettable feat by the boys. It seemed impossible and so far away at the beginning of the match, yet the score is 1-1 between Fiorentina and Lazio! "Sorpasso...Sorpasso!" as the people in the stadium and around the world were chanting! (Sorpasso means overcoming, passing in front of another team). "Sorpasso", a word that has cost dearly to Milan in the past on numerous occasions, but that this time, in this afternoon, however, becomes a liberatory and deliverance word!

Milan has ended the century with another Scudetto, the 16th. Another fantastic achievement, a crowning of 100 absolutely exceptional years. Or even better, normal. Yes, because for Milan, it is normal winning; yes, because they are, our dear, old, grand, Magico Milan!

FORZA MAGICO MILAN!"

Carlo Pellegatti.

P.S. Just one word: FORZA PELLEGATTI!

"En su vida, un hombre puede cambiar de mujer, sus opiniones politicas o su religion pero no su equipo de futbol." Eduardo Galeano, Uruguayen poet.

FORZA MAGICO MILAN!
ALLEZ LES BLEUS!

Non Vincete MAI!!!

post #3 of 1477 (permalink) Old April 10th, 2002, 00:43
Premier Player

Teams: AC Milan, Italian NT
Great Post & Analysis....Payman

My Best friend is One Who Brings Out The Best in me.

post #4 of 1477 (permalink) Old April 10th, 2002, 13:50
XT's Demi-God
World Class Player

WONDERFUL STUFF

I have the Cenetary CD at home and Pellegati is commentating on it.

He is a true MILAN fan.

Grande Pellegati.

buve - the shit on the heel of Italian football.

RIP CLAUDIO LIPPI.

"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility, there are so few of us left." - Oscar Levant

Sent from my Computer using a keyboard.

Irish commentator during 94 WC - 'The Baggio brothers, are of course, not related.'
post #5 of 1477 (permalink) Old October 4th, 2002, 04:03 Thread Starter
Legend
Legend

I am bringing this all of famer thread back to life! I will continue to update it constantly with new anecdotes, odd happenings and funny stories about Milan, their players, their coaches or their presidents of the past, but also of the present. If anyone else has any anecdote about Milan, please feel free to share it here with the rest of us!

FORZA MAGICO MILAN!

FORZA MAGICO MILAN!
ALLEZ LES BLEUS!

Non Vincete MAI!!!

post #6 of 1477 (permalink) Old October 4th, 2002, 04:11 Thread Starter
Legend
Legend

Here's a very interesting anecdote about Milan.

It was in the mid 80's. At that time, the coach of the team was no one else than the legendary Nils Liedholm, one of the 3 Swedes of the famous Gre-No-Li trio. So he was the coach and during a match, don't remember which one, (could it be Udinese-Milan of January 85-86 season? ) and one of our defenders got injured. So Liedholm turns to a young player on the bench, with the name of Paolo Maldini and asked him if he could replace the injured player. Paolo answered with a resounding "Si!" (Yes). He warms up for a few minutes then, before entering on the pitch, Liedholm asks him: "where you prefer to play in defence? Right wing or left wing?" And Paolo answered :"Right wing back."

The reason he chose to play on the right? Very few know that Paolo was originally a right wing back and then, had to adapt himself to playing into the left wing back position!!!! In his debut, Paolo preferred to play in his "natural" position...

P.S. Most of these anecdotes come from either the Milan's official mag, Forza Milan! or from Mau's site, (www.devilsmania.com) and their italian section.

Bono, Dae or Debs, could one of you make this a sticky? Grazie!

FORZA MAGICO MILAN!
ALLEZ LES BLEUS!

Non Vincete MAI!!!

Last edited by San Siro; October 4th, 2002 at 04:14.
post #7 of 1477 (permalink) Old October 4th, 2002, 04:19 Thread Starter
Legend
Legend

Here's one more great anecdote:

Some of Galliani's most famous and ludicrous comments ever!!!Looking at them retroactively makes one really laugh!!!

Before the beginning of the 97-98 season, during the presentation of the last Milan team led by Don Fabio Capello:

"We may have not been able to get Figo, but we have been able to get a younger player and then, therefore, stronger in the long run: Ba!" :dielaugh:

" We may have lost Toldo, but we have taken a keeper with a great future: Pagotto!:dielaugh:

FORZA MAGICO MILAN!
ALLEZ LES BLEUS!

Non Vincete MAI!!!

post #8 of 1477 (permalink) Old October 4th, 2002, 04:27 Thread Starter
Legend
Legend

Or how about this one:
As a kid, San Paolo was a DIE-HARD Juve fan!!!!

It is rumoured that as soon as he reached the age of reason, he became a Milanista. And no, this change has nothing to do with any kind or shape or form of paternal pressure...

Also, Deme Albertini was also rumoured to be a die hard Juve fan in his youth...
Paolo a Juventino???I'd rather die than see that!!!!

FORZA MAGICO MILAN!
ALLEZ LES BLEUS!

Non Vincete MAI!!!

Last edited by San Siro; October 4th, 2002 at 04:29.
post #9 of 1477 (permalink) Old October 4th, 2002, 11:15
International

Teams: AC milan, Brazil NT, Italy NT
Amazing stuff Payman. You made me cry of proudness. Thanx.

Please continue. Our illustrious history.

Dubious stuff about San Paolo and Trio being Juve fans.

Lets paint the world Red & Black again.

Proud Owners of SIX European Champion Trophies

King of the European season 2002-2003
post #10 of 1477 (permalink) Old October 4th, 2002, 13:27
paw
World Class Player

Teams: Liverpool, Milan, Ferrari
"We may have not been able to get Figo, but we have been able to get a younger player and then, therefore, stronger in the long run: Ba!"

Joke of the whole Italian League.

I'm sorry, Ba.

paw

Liverpool - European Champions 2005

Team of 2005: Dudek, Finnan, Carragher, Hyypia, Traore, Hamann, Garcia, Gerrard, Alonso, Riise, Kewell, Smicer, Baros, Cisse
post #11 of 1477 (permalink) Old October 4th, 2002, 21:10
aim
Premier Player

Teams: only Milan
Thamks, these are great posts! Keep on postings.
post #12 of 1477 (permalink) Old October 5th, 2002, 16:04
Dae
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Milan-Sporting CP-USA-Mexico
Quote:
Originally posted by San_Siro_1
Here's one more great anecdote:

Some of Galliani's most famous and ludicrous comments ever!!!Looking at them retroactively makes one really laugh!!!

Before the beginning of the 97-98 season, during the presentation of the last Milan team led by Don Fabio Capello:

"We may have not been able to get Figo, but we have been able to get a younger player and then, therefore, stronger in the long run: Ba!" :dielaugh:

" We may have lost Toldo, but we have taken a keeper with a great future: Pagotto!:dielaugh:

Hilarious.

I'll always remember that sad time as our own personal LAzio/Inter moment. We brought in a bunch of new players and they all bombed (for the most part). Just think if Kluivert, Davids and Viera (who never even had a chance) had all made the grade. I believe we also brought in an aging and injured Paulo Futre, too. Talk about a monster.

"Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose, but how drunk you get."

"There's no justice like mob justice."
post #13 of 1477 (permalink) Old October 24th, 2002, 17:02 Thread Starter
Legend
Legend

A few other records now for Milan:
Yesterday, San Paolo played his 100th game in the Champions Cup/Champions League, which makes him, probably the 2nd in the all time list behind Fernando Hierro of Real. I'm Sure San Paolo can reach and beat the record of Hierro by the end of his career!!!

Courtesy of Mau: Thanks Mau!

i got also this, some Italian record :
-----------------------------------------------
BEST DIFFERENCE ITALIAN SERIE A after the first 5 GAMES:

The GREAT TORINO of 1947-48 did better :
19 2 = +17 difference, after 5 games

BEST NUMBER OF GOALS SCORED, after FIRST 5 GAMES :

MILAN 1950-51 for Max Goals Scored :
first 5 games: 24 Goals Scored
--------------------------------------------

Last time a team scored so many goals in the first 5 gamse of Serie A, was in the 1992-93 season, the Invincible Milan of Don Fabio, which scored 20 goals in the first 5 games (12 of them courtesy of a certain MVB .

FORZA MAGICO IMMENSO MILAN!

FORZA MAGICO MILAN!
ALLEZ LES BLEUS!

Non Vincete MAI!!!

post #14 of 1477 (permalink) Old November 6th, 2002, 02:02 Thread Starter
Legend
Legend

Here comes some more, courtesy of Lorena aka Nightfire99 @ Devilsmania. Muchas gracias Lorena!!!Sei una

Giuseppe Meazza, the great Italian forward (but interista!) passed to Milan after having an illness called 'frozen foot' (he also joined juventus) When he trained, he was covered by 'layers' of wool to avoid the foot from lowering temperature.

Starting the century, Milan was the low-class team, of cab drivers and train engineers. There was a train called Gamba de Legn (wooden foot) that passed by Porta Vittoria (old Milan camp then, Milan played near the graveyard). If the driver was milanista, he passed by honking and waving his hands.

Inter was born from a group of Milan fans who wanted more foreign players in the team. (they got their wish hahahahahaha ) They did so in a Monday morning 'because the week has to start properly' (pigs...) The 'stemma' (shield) was that FCIM thingy they still have today, and old Milanisti laughed at them: "La societa che gh'a el distintiv che se poo minga legg" (the team that has the unreadable symbol )

Altafini arrived to Italy sure of being a Roma player. But in the test he did, he colapsed and fainted. Gipo Viani - the great Milan manager of the time- saw that and started saying to other managers that Josè was epileptic. Roma refused the Brazilian and Milan got him.

The champions of 68 were really a strange bunch: Rivera had had a great championship but was out of the European final, Rosato had recently arrived from Torino, still he was remembered as the kicker of East German Konietzka rather than a classy defender,
Cudicini and Sormani were injured at the back, Hamrin seemed to be finished (at Fiorentina they were trying to sell him since 1966), Prati was topscorer... in serie C, Malatrasi 'discarded' by Inter (Tee hee hee hee never one good move ) But the results arrived, and Rocco was right at the end: scudetto, Cup Winners Cup, Champions Cup, Intercontinental.

Kilpin, the founder, kicked young Renzo de Vecchi in the buttocks to make him run! When in Turin, any time his squad (he started playing in a Turin club) got a goal against, he took a bottle from behind the goalpost, gulped the whisky and gave to young Vittorio Pozzo: 'Have a drink'.

The saying is he founded Milan as a vengeance over Genoa, which won over Internazionale Torino (old Turin club) in the championship: "I'll make a club that will be as a devil for you"

Maldini's story as a juve fan was told by himself in a sympathetic book that tells his story. President Boniperti - a player himself in the 1950's- sent him a juve shield, a pin-up, with father Cesare.

And the great Rivera would have been bianconero (sssssssssshiverrrrrrrrrr) had he costed less. 500000 lire in 1959 were too much, the advocate Gianni Agnelli (yes, the same as today!) said he'd buy him JUST TO MAKE HIM PLAY IN HIS GARDEN!!!!!!!! Franco Pedroni, the Alessandria trainer (the club where Rivera started) went purple with rage when the offer went down to... 2500 lire!!!!!!! He spoke to Viani and he suggested a test game. On May 14, 1959 Rivera became a Milan player. At 15, 500000 lire plus three players.

Season 59-60 Alessandria-Milan 3-0. Liedholm (yep, the one of the standing ovation! he's called 'Barone', Baron) marks Rivera. The youngster sends the ball OVER THE SWEDE'S HEAD and Tacchi pushes to goal. Second half. 'Liddas' encounters Rivera, he decides not to be conned, when he tries to cover the ball Rivera DOES A TUNNEL UNDER THE SWEDE'S FEET and sends... who else... Tacchi to goal!!!
At the end, both shake hans with a farewell: 'See you at Milano'

Both Nereo Rocco and Gianni Rivera scorde AGAINST Milan, the Parón (patron) with Triestina (1933), the Golden Boy with Alessandria (1959?)

FORZA MAGICO MILAN!
ALLEZ LES BLEUS!

Non Vincete MAI!!!

post #15 of 1477 (permalink) Old November 6th, 2002, 02:03 Thread Starter
Legend
Legend

Don Revie, Leeds manager, wanted to stop Rivera for the Salonica final of Cup Winners Cup. He called the marker, Hunter: "Rivera, out of the game". Hunter laughed through barred teeth and pointing to the captain, he hissed: "Out of tonight's game or the game of soccer altogether?"
I think Hunter was the player that, taking the ball into Milan field, found Rivera, and the Golden Boy took it, launching an attack. Hunter, without stopping, turns back and slaps with open hand Rivera's head, causing him to fall a couple of yards away! Not sure if it was the fault that gave Chiarugi the only goal of the game -on freekick- but indeed Hunter did not return to Revie with his mission complete

Three about Baresi:

Liedholm with his players in changing room. "Turone (the sweeper) canot play, do you want Baresi to joini?" Unanimous yes. Suffices: the Baron finds Franco and says only: "tomorrow you play"

When Milan won his 10th scudetto, the premi partita (bonuses for winning games) were given equally to the XI and subs over 24 games (it seems). Baresi had a low contract until then. Rivera called his fellow teammates: he had to talk with them, would they want Baresi to join them on the bonuses? Everybody approved.

When at the youth team, Baresi remembers that they weren't mixed, as today, to the 'big ones'. When he trained with the Primavera (spring, youths from 16 bracket to 18) he often hid behind a wall or the bushes to avoid meeting Albertosi Rivera Morini o Bigon... his future teammates in the 10th scudetto year.

Again, thanks a lot Lorena!!!

FORZA MAGICO MILAN!
ALLEZ LES BLEUS!

Non Vincete MAI!!!

post #16 of 1477 (permalink) Old November 6th, 2002, 02:04 Thread Starter
Legend
Legend

Even more and more!!!Kudos to you Lorena!!!!

In the 1930's came to Milan a player called Piero Pastore. Good player, but also... part-time actor!! He went to juventus afterwards, but always with cinema at heart.

2) Milan-Galatasaray, at Turkey. No water, the tubes are frozen. Ghezzi has a cramp attack, to help him warm up there's nothing but... the liquid substance used in antidoping controls...

Dino Sani, number 10 of Boca Juniors, arrived. Manager Gipo Viani had told Rocco he'd brought a great player... indeed, when he saw a bald, moustached guy, tiny and stocky that said'good afternoon, pleased to mett you, I'm Dino Sani" he almost fainted, he thought it was a joke! The afternoon at Milanello, he broke out: "We've broght an accountant!" "Our Gipo has brought back his grandpa" At saturday, he thought that maybe he had to risk using the 'grandpa'. He did. Milan won over juventus, best player in the field, Milan victory

Prati, very young, arrives from a loan with long hair, hippie-like shirt, ye-ye hairdo, rings in every finger. Rocco sees him and exclaims: "I had asked for a player, not a singer" Prati went red and assured he'd do everything to show he was a worthy player.

Prati was called Ringo, 'cos he walked as a cowboy and also had rings in all fingers. In the little fingers he had two, given to him by his mother, and considered lucky (did he took em to Madrid? )

8) Gunnar Nordhal arrived to Milan by train. Getting neared he heard shouts, chants, flags. He gets allarmed: a political march? No, the Rossoneri greeting him! So many that, in the urge to see him, they broke the train's windows, throwing flowers, waving pieces of paper. Nordhal panickes. He demanded to go to the hotel and shuts himself in his room, fearing he had picked the wrong squad and country. Some days after, he scores his first goal (against Pro Patria, I recall) and forgot his fear.

Intercontinental Milan-Estudiantes. Not a soccer game, a butchery indeed. Maldera enters and Rocco conseils him to stick to his target. But he stays very far. Rocco calls him"I told you to get close, you silly" and Maldera, scared "I can't, sir, he's poking me" Madero, his target, had a nail with which he poked his marker.

Mario David, defender, was at pains with a Mantova winger. Rocco screamed his lungs out with him. Going to the dressing room, he complains again, David answered he thought he was exaggeating, Rocco then kicks an object that was under the massaging bed. Silence. How strange, many think, it's not his style. One day passed and then the players saw Rocco coming lame to train, with a HUGE thumb and a slipper in his foot. He had kicked the medicine weights!!!

The massagist Tresoldi dosed wine around the tables when at dinner or lunch. He often stopped at Rivera and Rosato's table, so Rocco call out to them "Hey, learn from the 'tedesco' (German, that was Schnellinger) he only drinks milk!" When nobody was around, he called the twosome to his table and dosed another glass to them personally.

FORZA MAGICO MILAN!
ALLEZ LES BLEUS!

Non Vincete MAI!!!

post #17 of 1477 (permalink) Old November 16th, 2002, 23:14
Rising Star

Teams: A.C Milan
How great.....this is just wonderful.Please keep going on wit this!

{"Aboody is my adorable lover....no girl dare seduce him" Aboody}

'In such a complicated period, in which the greatest rapper is a white and the greatest golf player is a black, we have been left with just one certainty:[b] Inter
post #18 of 1477 (permalink) Old November 19th, 2002, 04:08
Star Player

Teams: TORO, River, Union, many others
Derby. Mauro Bicicli -Inter player- was to mark Dino Sani. He just did two things: block Sani and insult him in spanish -the Brazilian had played in Boca Juniors- The insults may have been too rude, the fact is that Sani went furious and in a clash he punched Bicicli's nose, breaking it in two!!!!
Result? The victim-Sani- was booked with a red card and Inter won that derby. It soon turned out that Helenio Herrera had taught some bad words to Bicicli to make Sani nervous...

A chapter of the series: if you cannot beat 'em, then let em BEAT you!

Last edited by Yuumei; November 19th, 2002 at 04:11.
post #19 of 1477 (permalink) Old November 19th, 2002, 04:35
Star Player

Teams: TORO, River, Union, many others
"Milan-Lewski 5-1, Malatrasi on the ground, with a big cut in the leg, a broken leg protector. Nereo Rocco calls the ref: you protect us or we'll retaliate. The ref was French and answered:
"Monsieur Roccó, s'il vous plait...
" Hey, you assface.... s'il vous plait for you too !!!!!!!!! "

At Manchester, Man Utd meets Milan
Denis Law elbows Rosato and luxates his teeth. Santin replaces him, Law goes for him but Santin hides down and receives the elbow in front. Nothing grave for him. Doctor Monti, however, didn't return from half-time because he was helping Rosato. He returns up and sees Cudicini on the floor.
Rocco says: doc, the long one fell. I see, said Monti. He's fallen all by himself, adds Rocco. Cudicini was hit by a metal part in his head. Only replacement, Wiliam Belli, then 19. Monti helps Cudicini to return to play. Rocco then says to Monti: told you it wasn't as grave. He fell by himself!

When at Milan the group was distracted and sad, Rocco got a helping hand in Bruno Mora, passed by his staying place and made a sign for him to start.
Mora was a dandy, a bit of a ladies'man and single, so he started a long dissertation about being single: how happy I am that I'm free, with soo many beautiful ladies...who says that a wife... ecc ecc. His married teammates looked at him in astonishment, then angry. And then insulted him. At that point, Rocco stood up: hey, Bruno, how dare you! He always ended up 'telling off' Mora while the player looked sorry, but then, Milan had returned to be a group in harmony and goodwill as the Paròn wanted it to be.

Last edited by Yuumei; December 23rd, 2002 at 05:33.
post #20 of 1477 (permalink) Old December 3rd, 2002, 01:23 Thread Starter
Legend
Legend

This thread is primarily dedicated for anecdotes about Milan, but I feel that putting here also some of the greatest games ever of Milan is also a good addition to it, since it's all about our proud and extremely rich history. Here goes the first great game, related by the most passionate Milan fan in the whole Universe, the Legendary Carlo Pellegatti, the "Voice" of Milan for the past 15-16 years. Enjoy!

The games of Legend.

From time to time, i will translate articles from Carlo Pellegati, that appear on Forza Milan!, on some of the Historic matches of Milan that will forever be remembered in the glorious and rich Milan History, as the games of Legend.

The first game of that long serie is where the domination of the Berlusconi era all began. So let's us recapture the moment, the thrills, the emotion and the olé of the moment. Let's set up the setting: Stadio San Siro, Sunday 03 January 1988, at 14.30. The game is between Milan and Napoli. The mighty Napoli of Diego Maradona, the defending Serie A champions. A game in which, the defending Serie A champions were given a memorable football lesson and swpet away like amateurs and in which we assisted in a way, to a kind of where the current kings, Maradona and Napoli, were dethroned by the new kings, namely Milan and Gullit.

This is THE game, the beginning of the Legend. No one could forget this Milan-Napoli, one of the most beautiful, spectacular, thrilling matches ever seen at the San Siro. A real fireworks, directed by the "one-who-turned-utopia-into-reality": Mr. Arrigo Sacchi with an immense, fantastic protagonist: Ruud Gullit, who was given, by the San Siro tiffosi, one of the most unforgettable standing ovation of the story of the San Siro.

It was the beginning of January of 1988. Milan was 5 points behind Napoli. (At that time, a win was 2 points and not 3 points). Maradona arrived only one day before the game, after having spent his New Year's holidays in Argentina. The Milan players prepared with lots of attention this crucial game. The 77, 000 tiffosi saluted warmly Marco Van Basten, who was still recovering from an injury, promised his fans to be back soon, with a microphone from the centre of the football field. Everything was ready and we were set for an unforgettable afternoon of football. After 10 minutes, Napoli took the lead with a great goal by Careca which completely froze the San Siro.

That was just what the boys needed in order to get them even more pumped up. From then on, Milan took total control of the game, monopolising the ball in a very harmonic, fluent and sublime way. The defence, with a quartet more famous now than the Beatles with Tassotti and Maldini with the guitars, Filippo Galli at the Basse and Baresi as the lead person, to dictate the pace at the Battery, singing "A Taste of Honey", as the afternoon becomes warmer when Colombo beat Garella, the Napoli keeper and equalized at the 20th minute of the first half. Everyone knows that the Milan coach wants the intensity and the fierce determination to always accompany the will to marvel and to entertain. The boys insisted their incessant pressure and the veteran Virdis took the lead. But the final minutes of the first half saw a spectacularly dominant Milan that the Napoletani players coudn't resist, except their keeper Garella who single-handedly kept them in the game in more than one occasion.

In the second half, the Gullit show began. He set the San Siro into fire with his sparkles of genius due to his sheer class. The Tulipano, Nero, is outrageously unstoppable; his dreadlocks have now entered in the history, or rather myth, enlightening the pitch with his out of this world talent and warming the hearts of all the 77, 000 tiffosi at the San Siro, but also of all the football fans, on that cold winter day. After 20 minutes of play in the 2nd half, Ruud receives a great through ball and goes straight towards Garella, goes past him and deposits the ball in the empty net. Gullit's joy and excitement on the celebration of that goal is contagious and the whole San Siro explodes with loud roar of joy. Vladimir Caminiti, of Tuttosport wrote:" The Dutch Superman totally eclipsed and overshadowed the Divine Argentine". Before the end of this recital of football, Donadoni put the icing on the cake by scoring the final goal of a memorable match won 4-1 by the rossoneri.

Sacchi, as a perfect maestro, just before the end of the game, substituted Gullit 8 minutes from time. Everyone of the 77, 000 tiffosi present at the San Siro stood up as after a concerto directed by the great Riccardo Muti at the Scala of Milano. Two minutes of non-stop clapping towards the new idol of the Milan of Berlusconi, who later went on to say:" There was no need to play that game to demonstrate that Gullit is the best player in Europe." In this day, i repeat, was born the Milan of the Legend, the Milan that in 10 years won everything; rather the appropriate word in that case would be conquer, as winning is very limitative as a verb. That team conquered the most incredible records, the most magnificient and convincing triumphs, and making history as one of the best teams ever, if not the best team ever to embrace a football pitch. Everything started at the San Siro, in this afternoon, in this unforgettable sunday of January.

FORZA MAGICO MILAN!

FORZA MAGICO MILAN!
ALLEZ LES BLEUS!

Non Vincete MAI!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in