Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old October 9th, 2019, 12:33 Thread Starter
Premier Player

Teams: AC Milan !!!
Good luck and prove us wrong!
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old October 9th, 2019, 12:47
Premier Player

I don't like him. Just the way someone here dislikes Conte's face and hair is the way I dislike seeing Pioli.

Now that that's out of the way, he's welcome. Here's hoping he does something good.

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old October 9th, 2019, 13:00
First Place winner, June 2010 Photo Contest
Xtratime Legend

Pioli!

Poor Milanisti. But good news for your opponents.
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old October 9th, 2019, 14:12
Premier Player

Teams: Maldini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyo View Post
Pioli!

Poor Milanisti. But good news for your opponents.
At least we went from excellent news for the opponents with Giampaolo to good news with Pioli.
Boyo likes this.
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old October 9th, 2019, 15:52
van
Community Manager
Legend

Teams: A.C. Milan
Can't be worse than the previous one.

He's a pretty inflexible 4-3-3 manager I understand, so I am already bracing myself for the 10000000000 posts about the one player.

"It is possible to imagine a distant future in which most other species of life are extinct but the ocean will consist overwhelmingly of immortal jellyfish, a great gelatin consciousness everlasting".
Nathaniel Rich
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old October 9th, 2019, 16:07
Premier Player

Yes, Milan's albatross, Suso. The one-trick-pony whose single trick isn't even effective any longer.
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old October 9th, 2019, 19:00
Forum Manager
Legend

Teams: Milan & Chelsea & Holland
The only sad thing about this Milan fiasco is Maldini...

Bill Shankly: "If you're in the penalty area and you're not sure what to do, stick it in the net and we can discuss the options afterwards."
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old October 10th, 2019, 07:53
Scudetto
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Associazione Calcio Milan
Good thing about this hire is that he is literally starting from the bottom and cannot be worse than this. And the fans already hate him so there are no expectations.

Welcome Pioli. I am as the same camp as others but wishing him luck nonetheless.

FORZA MILAN
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old October 10th, 2019, 11:39
Premier Player

Uh oh!
van and Laudrup like this.
post #11 of 41 (permalink) Old October 10th, 2019, 14:45
zoo
Legend

Teams: AC Milan
Boban was very clever when he was a TV pundit and criticizing the management for its decisions and advising on what they should have done even getting into heated debates BUT as part of the management he has done very poor SOMETHING like Gery Nevile when took over at Valencia as a coach and failed miserably.

Totally cant understand the hiring of Pioli. It seems like one of those deals you make with closed eyes and hope you hit the jackpot BUT in reality you know that you'll lose.

1. 2m per year plus bonuses isnt low cost adding to the 2+m we will continue to pay Giampy ... that is a 5m per year on 2 mid-table coaches.
2. The smart management invests big from the beginning so to have a chance to achieve their goals. The bad (stupid) management invests cheap (and prays it will pay out) and ends up paying double for mediocrity.
3. Pioli has failed everywhere he has been, what makes them think he will succeed here where the pressure is even greater?!
4. No team wanted him, wasnt that a good enough clue?!
5. They went and signed him even after all the Milan fans around the world were against it ... yeah I know the fans many times are wrong BUT without fans Milan would be just another Nottingem Forest.
6. He is even less promising than Giampy ffs.

I know he will fail and will be replaced by the next 2m per year coach.

Forza Milan
post #12 of 41 (permalink) Old October 10th, 2019, 16:46
van
Community Manager
Legend

Agree with some of the above but:

1) the management don’t need to be in service of hashtags.

2) Pioli is 1000% not who I would have preferred, but is also clearly more qualified than Giampaolo. He’s got a top 3 finish, as well as experience in teams like Lazio, Inter, and Fiorentina. Giampaolo had decent results in Ascoli and Empoli a long time ago, and then only mediocre to terrible results and Sampdoria was his most high pressure job. He was all hype, but never had the results or the experience.

"It is possible to imagine a distant future in which most other species of life are extinct but the ocean will consist overwhelmingly of immortal jellyfish, a great gelatin consciousness everlasting".
Nathaniel Rich
post #13 of 41 (permalink) Old October 10th, 2019, 19:18
zoo
Legend

Teams: AC Milan
1. Of course they shouldn't BUT was Giampy the best option we could get? Couldn't they have tried harder? If cant get Allegri and even Spalletti there are promising foreign coaches...Marcelino was doing good...

2. Most of the serie A managers are more qualified than Giampy that is a low bar
post #14 of 41 (permalink) Old October 10th, 2019, 19:51
van
Community Manager
Legend

Agreed — I was just responding to you saying Pioli was less promising than him.

I agree Giampaolo was a very bad choice on paper and said it from day one of his appointment.

However even I think he can’t be as bad as we saw. Sometimes everything goes wrong for a manager in a new job. He started very poorly, I think because it was the wrong strategy to go all in with the new formation and crazy selection instead of implementing it gradually when the squad knew him better and the new players had gelled. Then he just never recovered from that. He’s probably the kind of coach that needs everybody to be on his boat, total confidence in the system, and that just failed from day one. He does not seem capable or correcting and stabilizing things gradually, or at any rate it took him too long and the bottom was just too poor. After that bad start he lost the plot and became completely erratic in all levels. It all comes down to the huge risk he took with that insane lineup in Udine and not being the kind of guy who can adapt. He tried, but you could smell it was all shaky from that point.

I would imagine he will have learned the lesson.
zoo likes this.

Nathaniel Rich
post #15 of 41 (permalink) Old October 10th, 2019, 20:10
aim
Premier Player

Teams: only Milan
Prandelli: All Milan players are instinctive and don’t follow tactics.

Cesare Prandelli believes he knows why Milan failed under Marco Giampaolo. “All their players are instinctive and don’t follow tactics.”

The former Empoli and Sampdoria Coach was fired after just seven games, losing four of them, and replaced by Stefano Pioli.

“Seeing the team from the outside, I did develop a theory as to why things went so wrong,” ex-Italy CT Prandelli told La Gazzetta dello Sport.

“Giampaolo loves a reasoned-out style of football that follows certain patterns, whereas all their players are instinctive and don’t follow tactics.

“It becomes difficult at that point to find some common ground. Having said all that, Giampaolo 100 per cent deserves his tag as a great Coach in Italian football, it’s just this squad didn’t suit his ideas.”

https://www.football-italia.net/1451...oo-instinctive

I am not sure this kind of situation will change much if Pioli still put Suso as the focus of his tactics.
post #16 of 41 (permalink) Old October 10th, 2019, 20:16
aim
Premier Player

Teams: only Milan
A Chinese employee, who works in Milan and responsible for AC Milan Chinese social media, wrote on Weibo (aka Chinese Twitter) that one of the players said already during a photo call on 24/09/2019 that no need for a team photo with Giampaolo as he would be replace soon.

This just shows how bad the situation was in the dressing room. How will it be with Pioli? I wish him good luck.
post #17 of 41 (permalink) Old October 10th, 2019, 20:59
van
Community Manager
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prandelli View Post
. "Having said all that, Giampaolo 100 per cent deserves his tag as a great Coach in Italian football, it’s just this squad didn’t suit his ideas.”

I call BS. Giampaolo is full of endorsements like that, but has zero results to back any of it. He may one day be a great coach, but so far he is just an overhyped mid table manager.

"The squad didn't suit his ideas" is the worst indictment against a manager. The guy was not hired to prove a theory but to manage a real football team with actual football players. He got paid a lot of money to do that too. And he failed miserably.

This same squad last season looked pretty damn disciplined, if nothing else. They stayed afloat amidst a brutal injury crisis and fought for the objective literally until the last game. By contrast, this year they looked like a bunch of drunk amateurs playing pickup games. The problem were Giampaolo's bizarre choices, chaotic tactics, and lack of leadership.
Brother Doc likes this.

Nathaniel Rich
post #18 of 41 (permalink) Old October 10th, 2019, 21:14
Administrators
Legend

Teams: Milan
Regarding pay levels coaches fall under FFP too. 2 costing 5 would cost easily double or more for top coaches.
Whether or not we could be paying Giampaolo or others less falls under the same category of why Milan is often cited as overplaying players. Maldini and Boban are unlikely to be the ones to change that. As for Boban criticizing management, Maldini did too when not joining previous projects. FFP and Serie A finances probably become 'more clear' when you are at the job.
post #19 of 41 (permalink) Old October 11th, 2019, 01:51
Premier Player

Teams: Maldini
Quote:
Originally Posted by van View Post
I call BS. Giampaolo is full of endorsements like that, but has zero results to back any of it. He may one day be a great coach, but so far he is just an overhyped mid table manager.

"The squad didn't suit his ideas" is the worst indictment against a manager. The guy was not hired to prove a theory but to manage a real football team with actual football players. He got paid a lot of money to do that too. And he failed miserably.

This same squad last season looked pretty damn disciplined, if nothing else. They stayed afloat amidst a brutal injury crisis and fought for the objective literally until the last game. By contrast, this year they looked like a bunch of drunk amateurs playing pickup games. The problem were Giampaolo's bizarre choices, chaotic tactics, and lack of leadership.
Now you realize the kind of hype Giampaolo had. And I was into the hype as well. If I hadn't seen this Milan with my own eyes and see the shit show I would say the same thing. Guy is a total loser, but apparently he's a great coach.
post #20 of 41 (permalink) Old October 11th, 2019, 08:26
Premier Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by van View Post

"The squad didn't suit his ideas" is the worst indictment against a manager...
And the whole of Italian coaches know nothing about whether a coach is good or not. Ancelotti, Sacchi, Prandelli, Maldini, Boban, Capello, Mancini, Sarri, they all know nothing. They are BS, they lie deliberately or say rubbish because they aren't competent enough to know. They all had a meeting to speak with one voice in order to prop up Giampaolo. But van on Milan forum knows better than them.

Plus is this the first time a squad doesn't suit a particular coach style? Don't let us show our ignorance please. Why is it that all the coaches immediately they take up a job they request for certain players to suit their style? Guardiola, Mourinho, Conte, Sarri, Ancelotti. Tell me one coach who doesn't request for specific players to suit his game? So what's mysterious about what Prandelli said? Was it because it concerned the much-hated Giampaolo? What's strange about saying a squad does not suit a coach?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in