Xtratime Community banner

Serie A 2019, Week 3. 15/09. Hellas Verona - Milan, 20:45 CET, at Bentegodi

3K views 102 replies 17 participants last post by  dabdob 
#1 ·
Serie A is back after the week-long NT break. We desperately need to add a second win in a row to start building momentum.

Verona drew their first game at home against Bologna, but they played almost the whole game with 10 men, and they then won their second away to Lecce. Decent start for a newly promoted team, so let's see what they have.

Hopefully Milan won't be missing players after the break. Regardless of the specific formation, Giampaolo needs to start imposing a system, a way to play the game, and we need to see some stability for that.

It should be interesting to see Rebic or Leao in action, and Theo Hernandez is already training. We definitely need to shake up the attacking aspect, which has been extremely poor so far. However, it's hard to have high hopes of that, as the M.O. seems to be to take a very long time to play new signings unless absolutely necessary, so they can adapt to "the system".

Unfortunately the said system so far seems to be more wishful thinking than reality, so I know we're all getting ready to another exciting 90 minutes of waiting to see if Donnarumma, Suso and co. will save the day again. Or maybe this will be the first game of Milan's future.

We generally have a hard time away to Verona, and it's been even worse lately as we have not won there in a while, but here are some past wins:

This one is a jewel, with beautiful goals from Gullit, Caniggia, and Van Basten:

Very nice win in a crazy game in 2002, amazing goal by Mutu for them, Pippo and Pirlo for Milan:

Probably Honda's best game for Milan in our last win there:

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm very disappointed in you van. You bring up Milan goals vs Verona, but forget to mention pretty much one of top few most Iconic Serie A goal ever.

Reactions: humanTORCH
#3 ·
I put only games played in Verona. Who could ever forget the Lion King.

Reactions: Osman
#5 ·
That game in 2002 seems to have been great. Watching the highlights in 2015, we really had a bad team. I'm not missing one of those players except El Shaarawy.

Looking forward to this game, Rebic and Theo look like they will not start going by the reports. It's too soon apparently. Hopefully we get to see Leao and Bonaventura at least then. Bennacer will probably start, since I think Biglia is still out injured?

Hate these NT breaks in september.... Get rid of them ffs.

#6 ·
Yeah I generally don't mind NT breaks as much as other folks (especially you lol) but this one two games in is ridiculous.

Rebic just trained today for the first time, so it kind of makes sense if he doesn't start, although the sooner the better.

Not sure about Theo, that should be a medical decision. The team really needs Bonaventura right now, in fact probably in more than one role, so if he is fit not playing him at least for part of the second half makes very little sense.

More worrying are the others. Leao seems to have slotted as a (incredibly expensive) prospect? No minutes even when we have been struggling in attack, playing the day Silva before selling him. So far, Giampaolo's pecking order seems to have Duarte behind Musacchio and Krunic behind almost everyone else in midfield.

#7 ·
Yeah, nobody seems to know what Giampaolo will do, going by the media reports.

There are some about Leao and Duarte having impressed on the practices so we'll see I guess. But at this point of the season we really need to get a win. Not even a draw is enough. Losing against Udinese was bad enough and we need to be able to beat the newly promoted side to be able to get anything from this season IMO.

Losing against this Inter who are Scudetto contenders is not the end of the world. Losing against Udinese and Verona is.

#12 ·
Really though, not only it’s not his usual role, but he’s done poorly every time so far AND we have other options.

#15 ·
It has been predicted that Samu will score a brace.

#16 ·
Probable lineup vs. Verona (4-3-2-1):
Donnarumma; Calabria Musacchio Romagnoli Rodriguez; Kessie Biglia Calhanoglu; Suso Paquetà; Piatek [Sky]

Giampaolo is keeping all the new players for the mid week CL games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#17 ·
Formazione ufficiale #Milan: Donnarumma, Calabria, Musacchio, Romagnoli, Rodriguez, Kessie, Biglia, Calhanoglu, Suso, Paquetà, Piatek. #hellasmilan

Biglia starting instead of Bennacer? Hopefully he can continue his good play from the summer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.