Serie A 2019, Week 3. 15/09. Hellas Verona - Milan, 20:45 CET, at Bentegodi - Xtratime Community
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 103 (permalink) Old September 10th, 2019, 22:19 Thread Starter
van
Community Manager
Legend

Teams: A.C. Milan
Serie A 2019, Week 3. 15/09. Hellas Verona - Milan, 20:45 CET, at Bentegodi

Serie A is back after the week-long NT break. We desperately need to add a second win in a row to start building momentum.

Verona drew their first game at home against Bologna, but they played almost the whole game with 10 men, and they then won their second away to Lecce. Decent start for a newly promoted team, so let's see what they have.

Hopefully Milan won't be missing players after the break. Regardless of the specific formation, Giampaolo needs to start imposing a system, a way to play the game, and we need to see some stability for that.

It should be interesting to see Rebic or Leao in action, and Theo Hernandez is already training. We definitely need to shake up the attacking aspect, which has been extremely poor so far. However, it's hard to have high hopes of that, as the M.O. seems to be to take a very long time to play new signings unless absolutely necessary, so they can adapt to "the system".

Unfortunately the said system so far seems to be more wishful thinking than reality, so I know we're all getting ready to another exciting 90 minutes of waiting to see if Donnarumma, Suso and co. will save the day again. Or maybe this will be the first game of Milan's future.

We generally have a hard time away to Verona, and it's been even worse lately as we have not won there in a while, but here are some past wins:

This one is a jewel, with beautiful goals from Gullit, Caniggia, and Van Basten:

Very nice win in a crazy game in 2002, amazing goal by Mutu for them, Pippo and Pirlo for Milan:

Probably Honda's best game for Milan in our last win there:

"It is possible to imagine a distant future in which most other species of life are extinct but the ocean will consist overwhelmingly of immortal jellyfish, a great gelatin consciousness everlasting".
Nathaniel Rich
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 103 (permalink) Old September 11th, 2019, 01:55
Administrators
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Juve
I'm very disappointed in you van. You bring up Milan goals vs Verona, but forget to mention pretty much one of top few most Iconic Serie A goal ever.

humanTORCH likes this.

I will fight to the death for my right to fight you to the death. - Stephen Colbert

Until the Lion learns to speak, the tale of hunt will be told by the hunter

“I am the punishment of God...If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.”-Genghis Khan
post #3 of 103 (permalink) Old September 11th, 2019, 02:13 Thread Starter
van
Community Manager
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osman View Post
I'm very disappointed in you van. You bring up Milan goals vs Verona, but forget to mention pretty much one of top few most Iconic Serie A goal ever.

I put only games played in Verona. Who could ever forget the Lion King.
Osman likes this.

"It is possible to imagine a distant future in which most other species of life are extinct but the ocean will consist overwhelmingly of immortal jellyfish, a great gelatin consciousness everlasting".
Nathaniel Rich

post #4 of 103 (permalink) Old September 11th, 2019, 05:49
Scudetto
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Associazione Calcio Milan
What a goal by Mutu. One of football's sad cases.
post #5 of 103 (permalink) Old September 11th, 2019, 07:19
Forum Manager
Legend

Teams: AC Milan
That game in 2002 seems to have been great. Watching the highlights in 2015, we really had a bad team. I'm not missing one of those players except El Shaarawy.

Looking forward to this game, Rebic and Theo look like they will not start going by the reports. It's too soon apparently. Hopefully we get to see Leao and Bonaventura at least then. Bennacer will probably start, since I think Biglia is still out injured?

Hate these NT breaks in september.... Get rid of them ffs.

Originally Posted by bernmilan1
play with BALLS people, BALLS!

Originally Posted by barracuda
Well it's a two horse race, with both horses facing the wrong way, "entertaining" us with primarily manure all season.
post #6 of 103 (permalink) Old September 11th, 2019, 19:07 Thread Starter
van
Community Manager
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickeberg View Post
That game in 2002 seems to have been great. Watching the highlights in 2015, we really had a bad team. I'm not missing one of those players except El Shaarawy.

Looking forward to this game, Rebic and Theo look like they will not start going by the reports. It's too soon apparently. Hopefully we get to see Leao and Bonaventura at least then. Bennacer will probably start, since I think Biglia is still out injured?

Hate these NT breaks in september.... Get rid of them ffs.
Yeah I generally don't mind NT breaks as much as other folks (especially you lol) but this one two games in is ridiculous.

Rebic just trained today for the first time, so it kind of makes sense if he doesn't start, although the sooner the better.

Not sure about Theo, that should be a medical decision. The team really needs Bonaventura right now, in fact probably in more than one role, so if he is fit not playing him at least for part of the second half makes very little sense.

More worrying are the others. Leao seems to have slotted as a (incredibly expensive) prospect? No minutes even when we have been struggling in attack, playing the day Silva before selling him. So far, Giampaolo's pecking order seems to have Duarte behind Musacchio and Krunic behind almost everyone else in midfield.

Nathaniel Rich
post #7 of 103 (permalink) Old September 12th, 2019, 07:24
Forum Manager
Legend

Yeah, nobody seems to know what Giampaolo will do, going by the media reports.

There are some about Leao and Duarte having impressed on the practices so we'll see I guess. But at this point of the season we really need to get a win. Not even a draw is enough. Losing against Udinese was bad enough and we need to be able to beat the newly promoted side to be able to get anything from this season IMO.

Losing against this Inter who are Scudetto contenders is not the end of the world. Losing against Udinese and Verona is.

Well it's a two horse race, with both horses facing the wrong way, "entertaining" us with primarily manure all season.
post #8 of 103 (permalink) Old September 12th, 2019, 08:46
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Milan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osman View Post

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hZpHRI1yLZA
Whats noteable here is that most modern footballers would have gone down twice in that sequence, while Weah just kept on going. possible also that a more cynical defender would have just took him down...
post #9 of 103 (permalink) Old September 12th, 2019, 13:09
World Class Player

Teams: AC MILAN
The likely XI will be: Donnarumma; Calabria, Musacchio, Romagnoli, Rodriguez; Kessie, Bennacer, Calhanoglu; Suso; Castillejo, Piatek.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on earth" - Muhammad Ali
post #10 of 103 (permalink) Old September 12th, 2019, 22:56
Forum Manager
Legend

Teams: Milan & Chelsea & Holland
Castillejo as a starter is just wrong...

Bill Shankly: "If you're in the penalty area and you're not sure what to do, stick it in the net and we can discuss the options afterwards."
post #11 of 103 (permalink) Old September 13th, 2019, 07:28
Premier Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by humanTORCH View Post
The likely XI will be: Donnarumma; Calabria, Musacchio, Romagnoli, Rodriguez; Kessie, Bennacer, Calhanoglu; Suso; Castillejo, Piatek.

That's depressing.
post #12 of 103 (permalink) Old September 14th, 2019, 01:06 Thread Starter
van
Community Manager
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by KHALID View Post
Castillejo as a starter is just wrong...
Really though, not only it’s not his usual role, but he’s done poorly every time so far AND we have other options.

Nathaniel Rich
post #13 of 103 (permalink) Old September 14th, 2019, 03:56
World Class Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inas_ View Post
That's depressing.

Wait for the official line up before getting depressed.

"Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on earth" - Muhammad Ali
post #14 of 103 (permalink) Old September 14th, 2019, 04:22
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Il club piu ...
The only ballottaggio Gazzetta has is ... Kessie-Krunic 70%|30% to start. Hakan, Samu, RR are starting !

post #15 of 103 (permalink) Old September 14th, 2019, 05:21 Thread Starter
van
Community Manager
Legend

It has been predicted that Samu will score a brace.

Nathaniel Rich
post #16 of 103 (permalink) Old September 15th, 2019, 00:51
World Class Player

Probable lineup vs. Verona (4-3-2-1):
Donnarumma; Calabria Musacchio Romagnoli Rodriguez; Kessie Biglia Calhanoglu; Suso Paquetà; Piatek [Sky]

Giampaolo is keeping all the new players for the mid week CL games.

post #17 of 103 (permalink) Old September 15th, 2019, 18:50
Forum Manager
Legend

Formazione ufficiale #Milan: Donnarumma, Calabria, Musacchio, Romagnoli, Rodriguez, Kessie, Biglia, Calhanoglu, Suso, Paquetà, Piatek. #hellasmilan

Biglia starting instead of Bennacer? Hopefully he can continue his good play from the summer.

post #18 of 103 (permalink) Old September 15th, 2019, 19:23
Oni
Premier Player

Would have like to see Bennacer in the starting line up but as said Biglia has been good as well.
Hopefully some of Hernandez, Rebic, Bonaventura and Leao will be introduced during the game.
post #19 of 103 (permalink) Old September 15th, 2019, 19:28
Premier Player

Teams: Maldini
Borini and Castillejo the first to be subbed in.
post #20 of 103 (permalink) Old September 15th, 2019, 19:38
Forum Manager
Legend

Teams: Milan & Chelsea & Holland
By then will be 2-0 so its ok

Bill Shankly: "If you're in the penalty area and you're not sure what to do, stick it in the net and we can discuss the options afterwards."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in