Serie A 2019, Week 1. 25/08. Udinese - Milan 18:00 CET, at Friuli - Xtratime Community
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 200 (permalink) Old August 19th, 2019, 04:58 Thread Starter
van
Community Manager
Legend

Teams: A.C. Milan
Serie A 2019, Week 1. 25/08. Udinese - Milan 18:00 CET, at Friuli

As it is, it seems we better get our candles back out and light them for Piatek and Donnarumma to perform miracles, as usual.

The season seems to be coming way too early for Milan. We have a manager with a drastically new gameplan but an underwhelming pre-season with few high level rivals and not a lot of good results. Despite a squad in desperate need for key improvements and players capable of playing under the new coach, the final week of pre-season finds us with an unfinished transfer market and with none of the new signings seemingly ready to start the first game.

I have no clue how we're going to line up, but I sincerely hope it does not involve Borini as central midfielder.

It may be a busy week in the meantime, so possibly there'll be new players and/or departures in both teams. De Paul remains a Udinese player for now.
Attached Images

"It is possible to imagine a distant future in which most other species of life are extinct but the ocean will consist overwhelmingly of immortal jellyfish, a great gelatin consciousness everlasting".
Nathaniel Rich
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 200 (permalink) Old August 19th, 2019, 07:16
Forum Manager
Legend

Teams: AC Milan
There has been one constant throughout the summer, and that is Donnarumma performing really well. Not worried in that regard.

Piatek on the other hand....

I'm not as pessimistic as you, van, about not having new signings on the field against Udinese, I think we'll see a couple. But why Giampaolo has played almost the same starting eleven the whole pre season I don't know. Borini in the midfield would ruin my Sunday.

Udinese away is never an easy game, so the team really needs to be up for it.

Originally Posted by bernmilan1
play with BALLS people, BALLS!

Originally Posted by barracuda
Well it's a two horse race, with both horses facing the wrong way, "entertaining" us with primarily manure all season.
post #3 of 200 (permalink) Old August 19th, 2019, 07:45
Scudetto
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Associazione Calcio Milan
I wonder if with such minor additions to the squad, did we really improve over last season? Biggest difference is of course Giampaolo, so anything we do this season will be based on his performance, considering the players are relatively the same.

post #4 of 200 (permalink) Old August 19th, 2019, 08:45
Premier Player

In Borini we trust!

The midfield would be the new BBC - Borini Biglia Calhanoglu.

I doubt Giampaolo will play any of the new signings, at least not from the start. We may see Leao and Bennacer coming in as subs. But it's really worrying.
post #5 of 200 (permalink) Old August 19th, 2019, 09:30
World Class Player

Teams: AC MILAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inas_ View Post
In Borini we trust!

I doubt Giampaolo will play any of the new signings, at least not from the start. We may see Leao and Bennacer coming in as subs. But it's really worrying.

If this is the line up, I won’t stay late to watch this.
My goodness, I have to keep my sanity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on earth" - Muhammad Ali
post #6 of 200 (permalink) Old August 19th, 2019, 12:37
Star Player

Forza Milan

Kessie will play over Borini.

Last edited by frankf31; August 19th, 2019 at 12:45.
post #7 of 200 (permalink) Old August 19th, 2019, 15:35
zoo
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inas_ View Post
In Borini we trust!

I am also pretty sure Borini will start. He has been constantly starting all our pre season games and even scored one, so knowing Italian coaches THEY will always play Borini
post #8 of 200 (permalink) Old August 19th, 2019, 18:27
Star Player

Borini played because no midfielders were available other than Krunic, who doesn't need to practice that role and won't start anyway.

Last edited by frankf31; August 19th, 2019 at 18:36.
post #9 of 200 (permalink) Old August 19th, 2019, 18:53
zoo
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankf31 View Post
Borini played because no midfielders were available other than Krunic, who doesn't need to practice that role and won't start anyway.
Krunic plays that position. Why was he signed in the first place.
post #10 of 200 (permalink) Old August 19th, 2019, 19:36 Thread Starter
van
Community Manager
Legend

Borini is like cocaine for managers.

"It is possible to imagine a distant future in which most other species of life are extinct but the ocean will consist overwhelmingly of immortal jellyfish, a great gelatin consciousness everlasting".
Nathaniel Rich
post #11 of 200 (permalink) Old August 20th, 2019, 02:12
World Class Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoo View Post
Krunic plays that position. Why was he signed in the first place.

Giampaolo used to coach him. I don’t know if he will be a starter or otherwise.

The mids are all for the toss here.
If Giampaolo got the puzzle right and we could be in a big surprise.

"Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on earth" - Muhammad Ali
post #12 of 200 (permalink) Old August 20th, 2019, 09:39
zoo
Legend

Dont know, Giampaolo seems like the typical Italian coach preferring Borinis over giving chance to youngsters.

Calciomercato reports that Borini will start vs Udine.
post #13 of 200 (permalink) Old August 20th, 2019, 20:44
Forum Manager
Legend

Borini starting against Udinese is not so scandalous.

Put yourself in Giampaolo's shoes. Borini is the type of guy who was probably the fittest and most committed player from day one of pre-season training, that follows every instruction without fail. Giampaolo has a system that requires a greater level of tactical detail than whatever Rino used to do with the players and it wouldn't be a surprise to know if Borini was replicating everything better than everyone else.

Others such as Kessie, Bennacer and Paqueta are probably not as match-fit as Borini, perhaps have been less able/shown less evidence of playing out Giampaolo's tactics despite their obvious greater talents.

What would be scandalous is if this is not just a measure that needs to be taken for 1-2 games at the start of the season, where fitness is a greater differential, or if Giampaolo struggles to get the best out of his better players in the longer-term.
post #14 of 200 (permalink) Old August 20th, 2019, 21:44
Premier Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodriguez View Post
Borini starting against Udinese is not so scandalous.

Put yourself in Giampaolo's shoes. Borini is the type of guy who was probably the fittest and most committed player from day one of pre-season training, that follows every instruction without fail. Giampaolo has a system that requires a greater level of tactical detail than whatever Rino used to do with the players and it wouldn't be a surprise to know if Borini was replicating everything better than everyone else.

Others such as Kessie, Bennacer and Paqueta are probably not as match-fit as Borini, perhaps have been less able/shown less evidence of playing out Giampaolo's tactics despite their obvious greater talents.

What would be scandalous is if this is not just a measure that needs to be taken for 1-2 games at the start of the season, where fitness is a greater differential, or if Giampaolo struggles to get the best out of his better players in the longer-term.
Makes sense
post #15 of 200 (permalink) Old August 21st, 2019, 01:25
World Class Player

Scandalous is starting with the same mids as of last season.

That is beyond trolling.

post #16 of 200 (permalink) Old August 21st, 2019, 09:11
zoo
Legend

prediction 1-0
post #17 of 200 (permalink) Old August 21st, 2019, 21:38 Thread Starter
van
Community Manager
Legend

Udinese potential line-up:

Musso; Becao, Troost-Ekong, Samir, Ter-Avest, Jajalo, Fofana, Mandragora, Stryger Larsen, Pussetto, De Paul, Lasagna

Nathaniel Rich
post #18 of 200 (permalink) Old August 21st, 2019, 23:09 Thread Starter
van
Community Manager
Legend

BTW, is André Silva fit at all? If he is, why would we play Castillejo instead of him? It's not even his position...

Nathaniel Rich
post #19 of 200 (permalink) Old August 21st, 2019, 23:26
Star Player

Silva had one foot out the door all summer. He even got on the plane to Monaco . . . Can't blame Giampaolo for not using him.

That might change though, the Milan Store just started selling his shirt for the first time this summer.
post #20 of 200 (permalink) Old August 22nd, 2019, 06:57
Rising Star

Teams: milan & azzurri
I thought I heard a couple of days ago that we should be able to watch the Milan matches on the new AC Milan App

Does anyone know if this is the case?

I already went ahead and installed it on my phone.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in