New Manager 2019: Marco Giampaolo - Xtratime Community
 30Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 203 (permalink) Old May 28th, 2019, 20:51 Thread Starter
van
Community Manager
Legend
 
van's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05 2001
Teams: A.C. Milan
Posts: 12,452
New Manager 2019: Marco Giampaolo

So, Gattuso's gone.

It will be interesting to see how the club and Gazidis handle this, because Leonardo is gone too.

In normal times, on paper, what would make more sense would be to appoint a new Sporting Director and only then a new manager. One would imagine a technical director may want to have a say in who the manager is. The most heavily rumored one has been Lucas Campos from Lille (also linked to other big clubs) until not long ago, but that may have collapsed; recently there have been reports of a swap, with Leonardo going to PSG and Antero Henrique going to Milan. We'll see. We can only hope Maldini remains involved too.

However, above all, we need to move fast and get the best possible manager. That is going to be the real leader of the football team and the main factor for our success. This cannot be stated enough. We need to get the best manager available who is a decent fit for Milan in its current predicament -- someone who can lead us to CL next year, and work within the limitations imposed by the ownership, FFP, etc.

It can even be people we hate, but it needs to be someone very capable or at least extremely promising. This doesn't mean an old fart or someone who has won a bunch of titles but is over the hill or past it either. Getting the absolute top managers may be very hard or even impossible, but we sure need to try, and then go for the next and then the next one until we get someone. We need to offer huge salaries and sacrifice other aspects of the budget, and even try to lure those who seem like they're about to go to other clubs.

Hard to say who it will be. We've been linked to everyone and their great grandmothers. Hopefully it will be closer to Conte, Allegri, and Sarri than to Giampaolo or the like.

"It is possible to imagine a distant future in which most other species of life are extinct but the ocean will consist overwhelmingly of immortal jellyfish, a great gelatin consciousness everlasting".
Nathaniel Rich

Last edited by van; May 28th, 2019 at 23:26.
van is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 203 (permalink) Old May 28th, 2019, 21:03
Administrators
Legend
 
Reza's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08 2001
Location: Canada
Teams: Milan
Posts: 11,049
Don't expect Milan to hire a non Italian. In any case the most mentioned foreign name, Jardim, is apparently staying at Monaco. Someone like Giampaolo might be the best we can hope for.
Reza is offline  
post #3 of 203 (permalink) Old May 28th, 2019, 21:04
Premier Player
 
Join Date: 08 2016
Posts: 1,622
Well, don't hold your breath.
You can count Sarri, Conte, Gasperini, Jardim out. Even Semplici. Conte's Inter bound, Sarri is going to Juve or staying at Chelsea. Atalanta, Spal and Monaco just announced their Managers are staying (Gasperini even extended his contract today).

So. That leaves Allegri, Giampaolo, and Inzaghi.

Sent from my JKM-LX1 using Tapatalk
Inas_ is offline  
 
post #4 of 203 (permalink) Old May 28th, 2019, 21:23
Premier Player
 
Join Date: 08 2016
Posts: 1,622
And, oh, Spaletti

Sent from my JKM-LX1 using Tapatalk
Inas_ is offline  
post #5 of 203 (permalink) Old May 28th, 2019, 21:39
Premier Player
 
Brother Doc's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06 2016
Location: Gazidis
Teams: Maldini
Posts: 1,158
Conte signed for Inter and Sarri is 90% Juve bound.


Maldini will accept the role as technical director and will have a say on the new manager.
Brother Doc is offline  
post #6 of 203 (permalink) Old May 28th, 2019, 21:40 Thread Starter
van
Community Manager
Legend
 
van's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05 2001
Teams: A.C. Milan
Posts: 12,452
What has Giampaolo achieved of note? I mean midtable finishes with Sampdoria are hardly something that stands out in a managerial resume.... is there other impressive stuff I’m forgetting?

"It is possible to imagine a distant future in which most other species of life are extinct but the ocean will consist overwhelmingly of immortal jellyfish, a great gelatin consciousness everlasting".
Nathaniel Rich
van is online now  
post #7 of 203 (permalink) Old May 28th, 2019, 21:53
Legend
 
camelface's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06 2004
Posts: 16,813
You should just go for Spaletti. He is a decent tactician with no hope of winning, just like you need
camelface is offline  
post #8 of 203 (permalink) Old May 28th, 2019, 22:09
Premier Player
 
Join Date: 08 2016
Posts: 1,622
Quote:
Originally Posted by van View Post
What has Giampaolo achieved of note? I mean midtable finishes with Sampdoria are hardly something that stands out in a managerial resume.... is there other impressive stuff I’m forgetting?
His Sampdoria play good football. I like how he set up his team. And to be fair to him, where else would Sampdoria finish if not midtable? I don't think they have the players for a top five or six finish, seeing as you have Juve, Milan, Inter, Roma, Lazio, Atalanta, Torino all competing for the first six or seven places. They practically beat every top team this season, BTW.

But, yeah, we should aim higher than him if we can.

Sent from my JKM-LX1 using Tapatalk
Inas_ is offline  
post #9 of 203 (permalink) Old May 28th, 2019, 22:25
World Class Player
 
humanTORCH's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09 2002
Location: Near the equator!
Teams: AC MILAN
Posts: 8,482
Maldini decision will have an effect on my long leave with Milan.
If this happen Singer can change the club name as well.
With Gazidis, he will make this club another Arsenal who strive to get to CL but no better than that (having chat with my Arsenal friends who were trilled that Milan got him out of the club). Making profit without real ambition, we are owned by venture capitalist to remind everyone here.

This will be painful to watch as things unfold



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on earth" - Muhammad Ali
humanTORCH is offline  
post #10 of 203 (permalink) Old May 28th, 2019, 22:25 Thread Starter
van
Community Manager
Legend
 
van's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05 2001
Teams: A.C. Milan
Posts: 12,452
The only good part of Conte going to Inter would be that I can keep genuinely hating that shitface.

"It is possible to imagine a distant future in which most other species of life are extinct but the ocean will consist overwhelmingly of immortal jellyfish, a great gelatin consciousness everlasting".
Nathaniel Rich
van is online now  
post #11 of 203 (permalink) Old May 28th, 2019, 23:24 Thread Starter
van
Community Manager
Legend
 
van's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05 2001
Teams: A.C. Milan
Posts: 12,452
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inas_ View Post
His Sampdoria play good football. I like how he set up his team. And to be fair to him, where else would Sampdoria finish if not midtable? I don't think they have the players for a top five or six finish, seeing as you have Juve, Milan, Inter, Roma, Lazio, Atalanta, Torino all competing for the first six or seven places. They practically beat every top team this season, BTW.

But, yeah, we should aim higher than him if we can.

Sent from my JKM-LX1 using Tapatalk
Sampdoria did indeed play decent football, which is to say, nothing extraordinary. Their results were not outstanding either. Under him Samp have finished 11, 10 and 9. I mean less than that is just poor. Are we really looking for managers who've done just okay? I guess it's better than going for unexperienced, unproven ones, but still...

Maybe I've been missing a super talent under our nose. It would not be the first time.

If that's not the case, I can only see Milan going after him as the result of deliberately refusing to look outside of Italians/Serie A managers, which would be pure madness IMO.

"It is possible to imagine a distant future in which most other species of life are extinct but the ocean will consist overwhelmingly of immortal jellyfish, a great gelatin consciousness everlasting".
Nathaniel Rich
van is online now  
post #12 of 203 (permalink) Old May 29th, 2019, 03:02
Forum Manager
Legend
 
KHALID's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05 1999
Location: tora bora
Teams: Milan & Chelsea & Holland
Posts: 17,385
They should have thrown everything they have to convince Ancelotti to come back...very sad Milan is entering a dark Gazidis tunnel and Leo is gone...

Bill Shankly: "If you're in the penalty area and you're not sure what to do, stick it in the net and we can discuss the options afterwards."
KHALID is offline  
post #13 of 203 (permalink) Old May 29th, 2019, 03:26 Thread Starter
van
Community Manager
Legend
 
van's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05 2001
Teams: A.C. Milan
Posts: 12,452
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHALID View Post
They should have thrown everything they have to convince Ancelotti to come back...very sad Milan is entering a dark Gazidis tunnel and Leo is gone...
Entering? You may have missed it, but we're already deep into a long, dark tunnel.

I know you don't rate Gazidis, and there are good reasons. Not that there are none to appreciate his work either -- Arsenal has become a self-financed global juggernaut during his tenure, which should set the groundwork for future sporting success.

He was essentially a specialist in qualifying to CL and stabilizing the finances, which is precisely what we need now. Not the most glorious perspective, but we'll take it until we can aspire to bigger things.

"It is possible to imagine a distant future in which most other species of life are extinct but the ocean will consist overwhelmingly of immortal jellyfish, a great gelatin consciousness everlasting".
Nathaniel Rich
van is online now  
post #14 of 203 (permalink) Old May 29th, 2019, 04:08
Premier Player
 
Brother Doc's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06 2016
Location: Gazidis
Teams: Maldini
Posts: 1,158
Quote:
Originally Posted by humanTORCH View Post
Maldini decision will have an effect on my long leave with Milan.
If this happen Singer can change the club name as well.
With Gazidis, he will make this club another Arsenal who strive to get to CL but no better than that (having chat with my Arsenal friends who were trilled that Milan got him out of the club). Making profit without real ambition, we are owned by venture capitalist to remind everyone here.

This will be painful to watch as things unfold



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If we become another Arsenal than it's better than the current Milan. There's 6 teams in the EPL while there's only 3 teams in Serie A. Napoli will eventually go in their place once De Laurentiis gets bored. Roma and Lazio will be what they are and Atalanta will have a fluke results once in a while.

And I don't get the whole Maldini thing. Is he some kind of genius director that will get the best talents? Time will tell, but he's as unproven as they come.
Brother Doc is offline  
post #15 of 203 (permalink) Old May 29th, 2019, 09:58
Rising Star
 
Barile_boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09 2008
Location: the states
Teams: milan & azzurri
Posts: 125
As a director, Maldini is somewhat of a cheap, high risk/high reward type of signing. He is unproven, which makes him pretty cheap and financially, a low risk. His lack of experience on the market is a high risk, but Leonardo did just spend the last year or so showing him the ropes.. He has the utmost clout and respect in the footballing community which could help him lure in quality young players.

Maybe it would be decent to have Maldini as the director, and also have Campos come in and help out with the process...???
Barile_boy is offline  
post #16 of 203 (permalink) Old May 29th, 2019, 10:04
Premier Player
 
Join Date: 08 2016
Posts: 1,622
Gazidis: No more big names

by Football Italia

Ivan Gazidis has asserted that the days of Milan splashing out on big names are over. “There have already been enough illusions and lies.”

Elliott Management took control of Milan last summer after Li Yonghong defaulted on the loan he borrowed from the hedge fund to buy the club, with Gazidis brought in as CEO shortly after.

“Elliott’s vision is clear: to take away the financial burden from Milan and put them back in the right direction, letting them grow and making them a modern club,” he continued to Gazzetta dello Sport.

“Elliott never set a time limit, we don’t have a deadline and I won’t make promises to shorten the length of time it’ll take.

“Anyone looking for a magician who snaps his fingers, opens taps full of money and resolves everything won’t find it here.

“There have already been enough illusions and lies. The story of unfulfilled beautiful promises is over.

“We’re at Milan to give them a future at the top, with a serious, realistic path. It doesn’t mean we can’t dream. It means working hard to make those dreams come true. There are three fundamental points:

“1) Economic reorganisation, with the ability to generate profits and reinvest them;

“2) Increasing the quality of the team, bringing them back to the top of Italian and European football;

“3) Finding the right solutions for the stadium. Whether it’s San Siro or a new stadium, the world will have to envy it.

“I firmly believe in this project, we have a long and stimulating game to play and I’m sure we will win it.”

The former MLS commissioner was then asked about the Rossoneri’s approach to the transfer market, given their current financial constraints.

“We have great challenges ahead of us, as well as the desire to always play in Europe, but in compliance with the Financial Fair Play and existing parameters.

“Skipping the rules, looking for an unlikely ‘all in’ as if we were at a poker table isn’t only risky but also wrong because behind an alleged enjoyment of the moment is the abyss.

“Our objective for the next few seasons is to grow in compliance with FFP and bring in quality players who can grow with the club, showing their value and becoming a source of pride for fans.

“We won’t buy young talents just to sell them, but so that they stay and write Milan’s future history.

“There will be the right balance between quality young players and those with leadership and experience.

“But our strategy isn’t to invest in top players or those who have already been, but rather in those who can become top players with our jersey.

“We won’t burn cash for just one season in the present. We want to build for the future with a generation of strong players who can grow quickly with the club, who have enthusiasm and are ready for the challenge.”


Sent from my JKM-LX1 using Tapatalk
Inas_ is offline  
post #17 of 203 (permalink) Old May 29th, 2019, 10:04
World Class Player
 
humanTORCH's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09 2002
Location: Near the equator!
Teams: AC MILAN
Posts: 8,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barile_boy View Post
As a director, Maldini is somewhat of a cheap, high risk/high reward type of signing. He is unproven, which makes him pretty cheap and financially, a low risk. His lack of experience on the market is a high risk, but Leonardo did just spend the last year or so showing him the ropes.. He has the utmost clout and respect in the footballing community which could help him lure in quality young players.



Maybe it would be decent to have Maldini as the director, and also have Campos come in and help out with the process...???


Gazidis wanted Maldini. No Campos based on his latest speech.
We will know why Leo leave when the time comes.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on earth" - Muhammad Ali
humanTORCH is offline  
post #18 of 203 (permalink) Old May 29th, 2019, 10:08
World Class Player
 
humanTORCH's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09 2002
Location: Near the equator!
Teams: AC MILAN
Posts: 8,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Doc View Post
If we become another Arsenal than it's better than the current Milan. There's 6 teams in the EPL while there's only 3 teams in Serie A. Napoli will eventually go in their place once De Laurentiis gets bored. Roma and Lazio will be what they are and Atalanta will have a fluke results once in a while.



And I don't get the whole Maldini thing. Is he some kind of genius director that will get the best talents? Time will tell, but he's as unproven as they come.


How would you feel as a Milanista when it become the next Arsenal.
Good enough to play 4th position every season.
We have gone through the dark days, season after season now. Also knowing that the current owner will sell to highest bidder in a couple of season once the finance is stable.

How many seasons more can you take as a Milanista. Tell me....


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on earth" - Muhammad Ali
humanTORCH is offline  
post #19 of 203 (permalink) Old May 29th, 2019, 10:09
World Class Player
 
humanTORCH's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09 2002
Location: Near the equator!
Teams: AC MILAN
Posts: 8,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inas_ View Post
Gazidis: No more big names

by Football Italia

Ivan Gazidis has asserted that the days of Milan splashing out on big names are over. “There have already been enough illusions and lies.”

Elliott Management took control of Milan last summer after Li Yonghong defaulted on the loan he borrowed from the hedge fund to buy the club, with Gazidis brought in as CEO shortly after.

“Elliott’s vision is clear: to take away the financial burden from Milan and put them back in the right direction, letting them grow and making them a modern club,” he continued to Gazzetta dello Sport.

“Elliott never set a time limit, we don’t have a deadline and I won’t make promises to shorten the length of time it’ll take.

“Anyone looking for a magician who snaps his fingers, opens taps full of money and resolves everything won’t find it here.

“There have already been enough illusions and lies. The story of unfulfilled beautiful promises is over.

“We’re at Milan to give them a future at the top, with a serious, realistic path. It doesn’t mean we can’t dream. It means working hard to make those dreams come true. There are three fundamental points:

“1) Economic reorganisation, with the ability to generate profits and reinvest them;

“2) Increasing the quality of the team, bringing them back to the top of Italian and European football;

“3) Finding the right solutions for the stadium. Whether it’s San Siro or a new stadium, the world will have to envy it.

“I firmly believe in this project, we have a long and stimulating game to play and I’m sure we will win it.”

The former MLS commissioner was then asked about the Rossoneri’s approach to the transfer market, given their current financial constraints.

“We have great challenges ahead of us, as well as the desire to always play in Europe, but in compliance with the Financial Fair Play and existing parameters.

“Skipping the rules, looking for an unlikely ‘all in’ as if we were at a poker table isn’t only risky but also wrong because behind an alleged enjoyment of the moment is the abyss.

“Our objective for the next few seasons is to grow in compliance with FFP and bring in quality players who can grow with the club, showing their value and becoming a source of pride for fans.

“We won’t buy young talents just to sell them, but so that they stay and write Milan’s future history.

“There will be the right balance between quality young players and those with leadership and experience.

“But our strategy isn’t to invest in top players or those who have already been, but rather in those who can become top players with our jersey.

“We won’t burn cash for just one season in the present. We want to build for the future with a generation of strong players who can grow quickly with the club, who have enthusiasm and are ready for the challenge.”


Sent from my JKM-LX1 using Tapatalk


Let me summarize in one word: Arsenal


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on earth" - Muhammad Ali
humanTORCH is offline  
post #20 of 203 (permalink) Old May 29th, 2019, 10:18
Rising Star
 
Barile_boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09 2008
Location: the states
Teams: milan & azzurri
Posts: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by humanTORCH View Post
How would you feel as a Milanista when it become the next Arsenal.
Good enough to play 4th position every season.
We have gone through the dark days, season after season now. Also knowing that the current owner will sell to highest bidder in a couple of season once the finance is stable.
Isnt that kind of what we need though? to be stabilized and have a strong financial backbone in place, when a billionaire buys Milan in the future, the groundwork will already be laid and the squad will be solid and coming in top 4 every year, so then signing a world class player or 2 will put us over the top
Barile_boy is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome