New Manager 2019: Marco Giampaolo - Page 6 - Xtratime Community
 30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #101 of 203 (permalink) Old June 2nd, 2019, 23:46
Star Player

Teams: AC Milan
Giampaolo's time at Empoli warrants a shot at a big club imo. If we are looking for the "next" Conte or Allegri, this is a good gamble.

He has a ton of managerial experience.
Reza and humanTORCH like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #102 of 203 (permalink) Old June 3rd, 2019, 05:44
Premier Player

Teams: Maldini
Quote:
Originally Posted by van View Post
Let's hope for the best.

I have not seen enough of Sampdoria, but his results there certainly don't seem to justify Milan going after him. Midtable results with Sampdoria are no more no less than should be expected. Maybe the way they play and his tactical knowledge do stand out as particularly impressive -- but they haven't particularly stood out whenever I've watched them the last few seasons.

His Empoli campaign before joining Samp is probably his biggest achievement though, building from Sarri's work but in fact improving their results (unlike with Sampdoria, midtable with Empoli is a big achievement) while also keeping the identity.
His biggest achievement is 10th place with the neo promoted Ascoli in 05-06, a team that didn't know it was supposed to play in Serie A until really late. Obviously this result was helped by point deduction of Lazio and the relegation of Juventus. Nevertheless it was a great achievement for a team that was initially build for Serie B.
post #103 of 203 (permalink) Old June 3rd, 2019, 05:47 Thread Starter
van
Community Manager
Legend

Teams: A.C. Milan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Doc View Post
His biggest achievement is 10th place with the neo promoted Ascoli in 05-06, a team that didn't know it was supposed to play in Serie A until really late. Obviously this result was helped by point deduction of Lazio and the relegation of Juventus. Nevertheless it was a great achievement for a team that was initially build for Serie B.

Good memory. I didn't even know that one, at all.

"It is possible to imagine a distant future in which most other species of life are extinct but the ocean will consist overwhelmingly of immortal jellyfish, a great gelatin consciousness everlasting".
Nathaniel Rich

post #104 of 203 (permalink) Old June 3rd, 2019, 07:18
Premier Player

I also remember Galliani tried getting him before Berlusconi vetoed the move and appointed Brocchi.

All in all, not what we would have liked but in the absence of the desirable, he's the next best thing we can get in Italy.

Sent from my JKM-LX1 using Tapatalk
post #105 of 203 (permalink) Old June 3rd, 2019, 08:55
Forum Manager
Legend

Teams: Milan & Chelsea & Holland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inas_ View Post

2. While this squad isn't spectacular, a very good coach can do better than what we saw both in the league and EL.

4. An Inzaghi or Giampaolo is okay by me. They are far better than hanging onto Rino.

Two statements that hard to find basis in fact, pure subjective opinion which is ok.

What suggests that this squad is better than 5th, when its highest point tally for a while. All of us didnt predict to finish above Roma last August and 1 below Inter, lets be honest.

Why is inzaghi “far better” than Rino? Every coach’s pedigree is questionable unless he is a proven winner of titles and across different clubs even, neither of these guys are.

Milan is in limbo until its sold to a long term owner, i dont know many clubs winning titles whilst owned by a hedge fund, and now run by a CEO who led clubs that won jack shit on the pitch.

Bill Shankly: "If you're in the penalty area and you're not sure what to do, stick it in the net and we can discuss the options afterwards."
post #106 of 203 (permalink) Old June 3rd, 2019, 11:57
World Class Player

Teams: AC MILAN
So Maldini say yes and Giampaolo will be our next manager.

I am glad that Maldini took the offer but for Giampaolo I have my reservation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on earth" - Muhammad Ali
post #107 of 203 (permalink) Old June 3rd, 2019, 11:58
World Class Player

Teams: AC MILAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankf31 View Post
Giampaolo's time at Empoli warrants a shot at a big club imo. If we are looking for the "next" Conte or Allegri, this is a good gamble.

He has a ton of managerial experience.

A gamble that we hope to turn out well

"Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on earth" - Muhammad Ali
post #108 of 203 (permalink) Old June 3rd, 2019, 12:27
Premier Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by humanTORCH View Post
A gamble that we hope to turn out well

Amen to that. The options are extremely few and narrow. Inzaghi has renewed with Lazio. That leaves Allegri, Mourinho, Giampaolo, EDF, De Zerbi. Let's see if they will surprise us with one of the first two.

Otherwise it's either Giampaolo or EDF.

post #109 of 203 (permalink) Old June 3rd, 2019, 15:47 Thread Starter
van
Community Manager
Legend

That would be true if the Italian peninsula was the whole extent of the “known world”. Which to be fair seems to be the case when picking managers for Milan.

"It is possible to imagine a distant future in which most other species of life are extinct but the ocean will consist overwhelmingly of immortal jellyfish, a great gelatin consciousness everlasting".
Nathaniel Rich

Last edited by van; June 3rd, 2019 at 16:16.
post #110 of 203 (permalink) Old June 3rd, 2019, 16:20
Premier Player

Yes, right. It's just that I don't think they will go for a foreign coach. And personally I feel a foreign coach is too risky.

post #111 of 203 (permalink) Old June 3rd, 2019, 16:37 Thread Starter
van
Community Manager
Legend

More risky to go with the kinds of unexperienced managers we've been going so far, IMO. I really thought we were going to go all in aggressively and try to recruit the possible manager for once, but it's clearly not the case.

At any rate, if it's him indeed, Giampaolo seems like a clear improvement over all those before. I'm willing to make my peace and get behind him 100%.

Nathaniel Rich
post #112 of 203 (permalink) Old June 3rd, 2019, 16:54
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Sampdoria, Italian NT, Crystal Palace
Giampaolo is an excellent coach from a tactical point of view but not the kind of coach who obtains the 101% from players. After having had both Sinisa and him I'm pretty sure the better coach was overall the former. You have had Sinisa so you know what you can expect from Giampaolo. Increasing the quality of your team will be crucial.
post #113 of 203 (permalink) Old June 3rd, 2019, 17:00
Forum Manager
Legend

Thanks for your input, Toni.

From seeing Mihajlovic's Milan and Giampaolo's Samp, the latter looked the more tactically adept team. Miha's tactics were mediocre. Yes, the squad was equally mediocre, but the fundamentals were not there in the way the team played.

Didn't pay much attention to Miha's Torino, but I cannot remember him getting many plaudits for his work there.
post #114 of 203 (permalink) Old June 3rd, 2019, 18:00
Star Player

Teams: AC Milan
Sacchi strongly approves of Giampaolo, that's good enough for me. 👍
post #115 of 203 (permalink) Old June 3rd, 2019, 18:20 Thread Starter
van
Community Manager
Legend

While it's a powerful endorsement, Sacchi says a lot of things. I remember not long ago Montella was "painting a masterpiece", "Milan should stick with Inzaghi", "Gattuso has restored the club's identity", etc.
Laudrup likes this.

Nathaniel Rich
post #116 of 203 (permalink) Old June 3rd, 2019, 18:49
Premier Player

Giamp is meeting with Ferrero in order to resolve the contract.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToniSamp View Post
Giampaolo is an excellent coach from a tactical point of view but not the kind of coach who obtains the 101% from players. After having had both Sinisa and him I'm pretty sure the better coach was overall the former. You have had Sinisa so you know what you can expect from Giampaolo. Increasing the quality of your team will be crucial.
Other than Conte and Sarri I don't think anyone else gets 101% from their players. The exclusion applies to Gasperini who's able to get 150%.

Since coming back from Serie B. With Miha you guys had the better season and ended up 7th with 56 points, but Giamp has been able to get 53 and 54 points the last 2 years. And IMO during Giamp 1st season you had the best team on paper yet that was the weakest result he got.
post #117 of 203 (permalink) Old June 3rd, 2019, 23:18
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Sampdoria, Italian NT, Crystal Palace
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Doc View Post
Other than Conte and Sarri I don't think anyone else gets 101% from their players. The exclusion applies to Gasperini who's able to get 150%.

Since coming back from Serie B. With Miha you guys had the better season and ended up 7th with 56 points, but Giamp has been able to get 53 and 54 points the last 2 years. And IMO during Giamp 1st season you had the best team on paper yet that was the weakest result he got.

Mihajlovic was tactically more flexible than Giampaolo. The stubborness of Giampaolo sometimes was our strength, other times our weakness. I think most of players who joined Giampaolo's Sampdoria and disappointed could partially blame Giampaolo for it. Gabbiadini is the biggest example of it. Mihajlovic found the way to make the most of him, Giampaolo couldn't. Another example is Jankto. In this case we are talking about a player who was overrated (and overpaid) but there is no doubt that at Udinese he played in a different position.
post #118 of 203 (permalink) Old June 3rd, 2019, 23:42
Premier Player

Quote:
Mihajlovic was tactically more flexible than Giampaolo. The stubborness of Giampaolo sometimes was our strength, other times our weakness. I think most of players who joined Giampaolo's Sampdoria and disappointed could partially blame Giampaolo for it. Gabbiadini is the biggest example of it. Mihajlovic found the way to make the most of him, Giampaolo couldn't. Another example is Jankto. In this case we are talking about a player who was overrated (and overpaid) but there is no doubt that at Udinese he played in a different position.
I find both overrated Manolo and Jakub. But both should have been able to deliver for Samp. Anyway other than Romagnoli and Donnarumma none of the other players have performed to their expectations so we're used to underperforming players. If he teaches basic football to Kessie and Hakan we're good.

Miha wasn't a bad manager, but he had a weak ass Milan squad, probably the weakest of the Berlu era.
post #119 of 203 (permalink) Old June 4th, 2019, 06:31
Premier Player

Quote:
If he can do two things, I would forgive his other weaknesses - teach our mids how to play football without that sterile lateral possession and the team how to press opponents when not in possession. These were criminally lacking in the last few seasons.

post #120 of 203 (permalink) Old June 5th, 2019, 17:02 Thread Starter
van
Community Manager
Legend

No white smoke yet on Giampaolo, and no official news of any kind really, just the same rumors intensifying -- Giampaolo, Maldini, maybe now Boban as SD, Praet and the Danish CB.

Apparently official news on Giampaolo are not expected until next week.

Really curious about what decision will be made if we do get Giampaolo. Will he try make it work for Suso? Who would join for the midfield positions? I guess we'd have finally solved the left winger problem.

Nathaniel Rich

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in