Xtratime Community banner

Serie A 2019, Week 28. Sunday 17/3. DERBY: Milan-Inter, 20:30 CET at San Siro

5K views 180 replies 22 participants last post by  zoo 
#1 ·
Higher stakes than most recent derbies for this one. Last time the defeat was quite painful, partly because it felt familiar, and we played the most defensive I've ever seen us play in a derby. This one is actually part of a tight, important race for CL, and It's also the first in a run of difficult games for us.

Inter beat SPAL last week but are very up and down, and Icardi is still not training with his teammates. They will also miss Miranda and Brozovic.

We seem to have a full squad. There are some important decisions for Gattuso with the lineup, and he just needs to get this team to play better. My intuition is he'll go with the usual lineup.

#3 ·
In Wanda we trust

Reactions: Jeffrey
#7 · (Edited)
We haven't won a Serie A derby in three years... really terrible.

A draw here would be okay, a defeat would likely not be the end of the world, but a win would be HUGE for so many reasons.

Only 30 points left to play for. We have an extremely tough schedule from now on. Theirs is a arguably bit less so, but still very difficult. And a good thing for us is that Roma and Inter play each other. I assume that Torino, Atalanta, Lazio are mostly out of the CL now. They're not that far in points, but it would take something special for any of them to surpass two of Milan, Inter, or Roma, and I haven't seen "special" from any of them so far.

#9 ·
Roma are difficult to predict on the influence that Ranieri will have. IMO they probably have the easiest fixtures on paper and Inter have the hardest, but I think in reality this means nothing.

By law of averages it feels we will drop points sooner rather than later, but also by this law it feels we're due a derby win.

Latest reports suggest Icardi won't feature. Lautaro Martinez is a good player though so he needs to be given due respect and attention. Brozovic may not play which would be good for us, as I don't think Inter have another midfielder that can replicate what he brings to the team.

#14 ·
Not that I would ordinarily care, but this derby even more than most is about the result. Looking at the table, the schedule, and the confidence momentum, a win this Sunday could be pivotal, one of the most important results in years.

#19 ·
Milan haven't been in the CL longer, hence it's a more important game for Milan compared to Inter. And we have a tough game tonight first.

Milan are the favourites obviously on Sunday. More players to choose from, better form, no EL commitment, more motivation to make CL... All reasons in your favour

Would take a derby draw personally

#20 ·
One of the worst aspects of marriage for a football fanatic, really. I have to plan everything around football, personally. But sometimes you have to miss some games. I remember missing a 5-1 Inter win at Cagliari in 16-17 because of an anniversary, honestly would rather watch the match.. anyhow..

What's a babymoon?

#24 ·
dabdob is pro marriage iirc, so he won't recommend a divorce.

#34 ·
Get an iptv subscription on your phone, submit to your wife the next 2 days then ask her gently to watch the game on the mobile, or just sneak a peak every now and then.

#42 ·
The Roma result and Inter's garbage Europa League performance have me more pumped than ever for this game. The heartbreak will be brutal I fear.

#43 ·
The thing with derbies is form doesn't matter so much. Inter could defy their EL performance and internal conflict and take a deserved win. It's what comes after this match which will be telling for them. If we qualify for CL I think it will be down to Inter and Roma's ineptitude as much as anything.

#45 ·
I could be misguided on this, but my hunch is that based on the way they have both been dropping points in games that they should be winning, it will mean that even if we struggle to keep up this run of form it may not stop us achieving our objective. As for the if... well I feel it could come, even by the law of averages I expect us to drop points at some point. Some potentially tough games coming up. If we win those then yes, doesn't matter if Inter/Roma slip up, but if I had to guess we're going to slip and so will they. It's just a feeling.

#47 ·
I have no doubt in my mind we will drop pts going forward, we might start tonight! Some tough venues to visit ahead of us indeed. We even had 3 or 4 draws if my memory serves me over that unbeaten stretch. I could add to your point that maybe we're lucky to be in contention for 3 CL spots instead of, let's assume, 1. I'll thank Napoli, Roma & Inter for that. But that single spot I've alluded to, we absolutely deserve it, everyone worked their butts off for it, irrespective what the others did or didn't do. Without those results we've had we wouldn't be in contention for a CL ticket regardless.

Your 'hunch' is as good as the luck factor that keeps doing the rounds every single time we win as of late... I feel those guys & the work they've put in deserve A LOT more appreciation over here.

#49 ·
Sounds like Gattuso will go with Bakayoko over Biglia. It was a tough choice.

Also, first derby for Paquetá and Piatek.

#51 ·
Confirmed:

MILAN:
Donnarumma G., Calabria, Musacchio, Romagnoli, Rodriguez; Kessiè, Bakayoko, Paquetà; Suso, Piatek, Calhanoglu.

A disposizione: Donnarumma A., Reina, Abate, Caldara, Conti, Laxalt, Zapata, Bertolacci, Biglia, Borini, Castillejo, Cutrone.

INTER:
Handanovic; D'Ambrosio, De Vrij, Skriniar, Asamoah; Gagliardini, Brozovic, Vecino; Politano, Lautaro Martinez, Perisic.

A disposizione: Padelli, Berni, Ranocchia, Cedric Soares, Dalbert, Borja Valero, Keita, Candreva.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.