Serie A 2019, Week 27. Saturday 09/3. Chievo Verona - Milan, 20:30 CET, at Bentegodi - Xtratime Community
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 114 (permalink) Old March 4th, 2019, 03:04 Thread Starter
van
Community Manager
Legend

Teams: A.C. Milan
Serie A 2019, Week 27. Saturday 09/3. Chievo Verona - Milan, 20:30 CET, at Bentegodi

We need to continue the good run of results and Chievo is the best possible opposition for that. They seat deep down in the table and have not won a football game since 2018. As all Serie A teams, they do have some decent players, but also like all bottom-of-the-table teams, they tend to lose all self-belief once they receive a goal, and make stupid mistakes, etc.

We will be missing Rodriguez for this one; other than that, full squad. I'd imagine Laxalt will be a direct replacement.

Otherwise it's a tough one for Gattuso because the team is winning so you don't want to change too much in principle, but then there's the fact that we're playing like a relegation team lately. Maybe we can get away with a win playing like crap again here because Chievo are so bad and we tend to do well there, but really we absolutely need to improve or we'll be trouble.

Some changes are absolutely necessary for this one. Castillejo has to start, likely instead of Suso or just move Suso for once. Something needs to be adjusted on the left side too, because right now the Hakan-Paquetá duo does not look super productive at the moment. Above all, everybody needs to do better and we need to stop getting 11 players into our own third every time we lose possession.

More realistically, pray for Donnarumma and Piatek to save us, Kessié to maintain the decent form, and someone else to step up.

The derby comes right after this one.

Some previous iterations:

"It is possible to imagine a distant future in which most other species of life are extinct but the ocean will consist overwhelmingly of immortal jellyfish, a great gelatin consciousness everlasting".
Nathaniel Rich
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 114 (permalink) Old March 4th, 2019, 10:29
Scudetto
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Associazione Calcio Milan
Like their colors, this has banana peel slip-up written all over.
post #3 of 114 (permalink) Old March 4th, 2019, 11:51
Rising Star

Teams: milan & azzurri
Conti, Musacchio, Romagnoli, Laxalt
----------------Biglia
---Kessie---------------Paqueta
Castillejo--------------Calhanoglu
--------------Cutrone

Sub on Bakayako in the 60th min and Piatek on the 70th
throw on Borini in the 80th

post #4 of 114 (permalink) Old March 4th, 2019, 17:54
Forum Manager
Legend

I would prefer that Rino fields his strongest eleven. As poor as Chievo have been this season I echo jani's post. Can't take any chances. Plus there is no midweek fixture so in theory the players should be fresher than they were going in to the Sassuolo game.

Strongest available 11 (IMO):

Donnarumma
Conti --- Musacchio --- Romagnoli --- Laxalt
Kessie --- Bakayoko --- Paqueta
Castillejo --- Piatek --- Calhanoglu

Conti/Calabria is debatable as Calabria has been consistently good this season. Conti better technically, higher ceiling/potential.

If we manage to take a sizeable lead earlier in the game then Rino can look to early subs such as Cutrone for Piatek or Biglia for Bakayoko.
zoo likes this.
post #5 of 114 (permalink) Old March 5th, 2019, 00:58 Thread Starter
van
Community Manager
Legend

I don't think Barile boy mean resting players for the sake of it, as much as the team needs to be shaken a bit.

Anyway, we absolutely need to win against Chievo, because we have a tough schedule after that:
Attached Images

"It is possible to imagine a distant future in which most other species of life are extinct but the ocean will consist overwhelmingly of immortal jellyfish, a great gelatin consciousness everlasting".
Nathaniel Rich
post #6 of 114 (permalink) Old March 5th, 2019, 06:27
Scudetto
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Associazione Calcio Milan
In the same period, Inter plays

Eintracht (A)
SPAL
Eintracht
Milan (A)
Lazio
Genoa (A)
Atalanta
Frosinone (A)
Roma

Of course anything can happen but I think they have a tougher schedule, especially their Europa League tie before the Derby.

If they advance to the QF, will play before Frosinone and before Roma.
MrChauvi likes this.
post #7 of 114 (permalink) Old March 5th, 2019, 08:17
Forum Manager
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by van View Post
I don't think Barile boy mean resting players for the sake of it, as much as the team needs to be shaken a bit.

Anyway, we absolutely need to win against Chievo, because we have a tough schedule after that:

Agreed that the team needs some shaking up, but I think that needs to be done through how Rino approaches training. Both the tactical and mental aspects. He needs to get into the players' heads more and also sit down to analyse where improvements can be made. But I think a 'shake up' should not include changes such as Biglia and Cutrone as starters.

I agree with jani that Inter's schedule is tougher, but I would add that it's somewhat meaningless. Inter have proven to be capable of dropping points in fixtures they should be winning, but are also capable of winning the big games too. Always a temptation to do a side-by-side comparison of fixtures at the business end of the season, but IMO it's all still too difficult to predict and form is too difficult to read.
Barile_boy likes this.
post #8 of 114 (permalink) Old March 8th, 2019, 13:06
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Il club piu ...
So Hakan won’t be avaible it seems. And guess who is on poll position to replace him? Yeaaaahhh - Lord Borini.

post #9 of 114 (permalink) Old March 8th, 2019, 14:54 Thread Starter
van
Community Manager
Legend

So two subs on the left. Paquetá better step up.

Nathaniel Rich
post #10 of 114 (permalink) Old March 8th, 2019, 16:57
Forum Manager
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono View Post
So Hakan won’t be avaible it seems. And guess who is on poll position to replace him? Yeaaaahhh - Lord Borini.

Hakan's wife gave birth (congrats to him).

Borini isn't nailed on to start, it could be Castillejo (although I think it will probably be Borini). Calabria and Conti is the other position up for grabs.

Biglia is tipped to start ahead of Bakayoko. Bold move from Rino considering how great Bakayoko has been most of the time, but clearly Biglia must be showing enough in training to warrant a start.

Despite their league position this game still concerns me due to some of Chievo's results this season.

Chievo 2-3 Juve (they lost in stoppage time)
Roma 2-2 Chievo
Napoli 0-0 Chievo
Chievo 1-1 Lazio
Chievo 1-1 Inter

No place for complacency in this game.
post #11 of 114 (permalink) Old March 8th, 2019, 17:16 Thread Starter
van
Community Manager
Legend

Not happy if Biglia starts instead of Bakayoko, who was poor last time, but so was everybody else. If Biglia must play, I'd prefer even if he replaced Hakan, and Paquetá as a LW -- he won't be worse than Borini.

Nathaniel Rich
post #12 of 114 (permalink) Old March 9th, 2019, 00:47
World Class Player

Teams: AC MILAN
Law of average is against us here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on earth" - Muhammad Ali
post #13 of 114 (permalink) Old March 9th, 2019, 09:53
Forum Manager
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by van View Post
Not happy if Biglia starts instead of Bakayoko, who was poor last time, but so was everybody else. If Biglia must play, I'd prefer even if he replaced Hakan, and Paquetá as a LW -- he won't be worse than Borini.

It feels a risk, but if Bakayoko is particularly fatigued then it can't be helped. Not sure how many yellow cards he has accumulated but that could be a factor if he is a booking away from missing the derby.

As much as Rino's faith in Suso is good for the player, it's time that Suso steps up and repays his faith. He is due a good performance tonight.

Perhaps a controversial move but I would like to see Castillejo start on the right wing and have Suso on the left. Maybe a change like that would bring more out of him and would mean that Samu gets a deserved start in a position he is most effective.
post #14 of 114 (permalink) Old March 9th, 2019, 12:59
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

If Rino plays Conti, Laxait, Samu and Biglia we might get my fave starting line up only if Bakayoko starts for Kessie.

post #15 of 114 (permalink) Old March 9th, 2019, 16:50 Thread Starter
van
Community Manager
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodriguez View Post
It feels a risk, but if Bakayoko is particularly fatigued then it can't be helped. Not sure how many yellow cards he has accumulated but that could be a factor if he is a booking away from missing the derby.

As much as Rino's faith in Suso is good for the player, it's time that Suso steps up and repays his faith. He is due a good performance tonight.

Perhaps a controversial move but I would like to see Castillejo start on the right wing and have Suso on the left. Maybe a change like that would bring more out of him and would mean that Samu gets a deserved start in a position he is most effective.
Yeah if it's fatigue or he needs a break of course I agree. Also wouldn't mind Suso tried elsewhere. He's not working as RW anyway, and nobody is working as LW, so why not.

Nathaniel Rich
post #16 of 114 (permalink) Old March 9th, 2019, 18:30
Forum Manager
Legend

Donnarumma
Conti --- Musacchio --- Romagnoli --- Laxalt
Kessie --- Biglia --- Paqueta
Suso --- Piatek --- Castillejo
camelface likes this.
post #17 of 114 (permalink) Old March 9th, 2019, 19:10
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Pretty cool

post #18 of 114 (permalink) Old March 9th, 2019, 19:18 Thread Starter
van
Community Manager
Legend

Let's hope it works. Gattuso clearly saw that we need to improve, which is good. And again, we may agree with one thing or another, but it's a sensible lineup.

Nathaniel Rich
post #19 of 114 (permalink) Old March 9th, 2019, 19:22 Thread Starter
van
Community Manager
Legend

Hakan makes the bench. So does Caldara, after a while.

Nathaniel Rich
post #20 of 114 (permalink) Old March 9th, 2019, 19:45
Forum Manager
Legend

Teams: Milan & Chelsea & Holland
Struggling not to fall asleep lol

Bill Shankly: "If you're in the penalty area and you're not sure what to do, stick it in the net and we can discuss the options afterwards."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in