Serie A 2019, Week 26. Saturday 02/3. Milan - Sassuolo, 18:00 CET, at San Siro - Page 3 - Xtratime Community
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 65 (permalink) Old March 2nd, 2019, 19:09
Scudetto
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Associazione Calcio Milan
I predict that Lazio will also play equally lethargically after the midweek game.

Sucks for them that they are playing Roma and not Sassuolo though.

3-0 Roma win. Anything but a Roma win would be quite sweet for us.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 65 (permalink) Old March 2nd, 2019, 19:58
zoo
Legend

Teams: AC Milan
Yes ugly win but who would have thought we would be third come March

Forza Milan
post #43 of 65 (permalink) Old March 2nd, 2019, 20:00
Forum Manager
Legend

Teams: Milan & Chelsea & Holland
Again lots of credit to Gattuso, incredible run the team is on...

Bill Shankly: "If you're in the penalty area and you're not sure what to do, stick it in the net and we can discuss the options afterwards."

post #44 of 65 (permalink) Old March 2nd, 2019, 21:28
World Class Player

Teams: A.C. Milan
Quote:
Originally Posted by jani View Post
3-0
post #45 of 65 (permalink) Old March 2nd, 2019, 21:35
Star Player

Every result went our way. What a weekend.
post #46 of 65 (permalink) Old March 2nd, 2019, 21:41
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Zhetysu Taldykorgan
How's Paqueta adapted to Serie A?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbox Ana
let me give u a lil love
post #47 of 65 (permalink) Old March 3rd, 2019, 00:10
World Class Player

Teams: AC MILAN
We played like a farmer team against a lower standing team at home.
Hope our luck continue with getting points when playing badly.

During the summer the management has to look into the mids.
We can’t even counter with two slow jack ass on the wing. The opponents knew on our weakness and play against us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on earth" - Muhammad Ali
post #48 of 65 (permalink) Old March 3rd, 2019, 00:17 Thread Starter
van
Community Manager
Legend

Great to see us move up.

We've been piling on lucky wins for a quite long time now, and I can't really fathom how. This was the most extreme case, but it's exactly the same as the last couple of months, except we usually have a few players who perform well; today only one. So pardon my French, but we are utter shit.

Donnarumma was the only positive here, and to a much lesser degree Kessié (who still makes a lot of mistakes, misses chances, can't control the ball properly at least 5 times per game, etc). Even Romagnoli was very shaky today.

Gattuso's setup is looking extremely poor too. Hakan and Paquetá look like they're playing the same role and position very often and get into each other's way. Bakayoko should have been subbed earlier as he was obviously risking a red. Cutrone should have come in for Piatek earlier. Suso was horrible again and needed to be subbed (btw saw him with a small baby in the stadium after the game, maybe that explains the poor form), and Samu played a brilliant game last time only to get fringe minutes again.

We don't create chances, we don't retain the ball, play mostly inside our own third for large passages of every game, and the opposition always create chances, so we're really not defending well.

Let's all keep doing whatever we're doing, because unless we improve a lot, it will take all the scaramanzia in the world to keep the results and see Milan in CL next season.

"It is possible to imagine a distant future in which most other species of life are extinct but the ocean will consist overwhelmingly of immortal jellyfish, a great gelatin consciousness everlasting".
Nathaniel Rich
post #49 of 65 (permalink) Old March 3rd, 2019, 00:59
World Class Player

Name:  IMG_0248.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  33.3 KB

Playing at home against smaller team with this statistic

"Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on earth" - Muhammad Ali
post #50 of 65 (permalink) Old March 3rd, 2019, 01:58 Thread Starter
van
Community Manager
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by humanTORCH View Post
Attachment 69185

Playing at home against smaller team with this statistic

These are flattering stats too. They were influenced by Sassuolo getting an extremely freak red card from a ridiculous mistake by their keeper. A couple of our chances and some of our possession actually came after that.

This performance and really most of the ones in January are just as bad as the ones earlier in the season, like against Betis and Olympiakos in Europe League. The main difference is that now we seem to have more mental strength (though we still collapse for passages), the individual performances (Donnarumma and Piatek deserve a monument right now), and above all the luck to get results. But really this is unacceptably bad football to my mind.

If we keep playing like this, I'll be 200% in favor of sacking Gattuso ASAP, even if we win every single game between now and the end of the season.

"It is possible to imagine a distant future in which most other species of life are extinct but the ocean will consist overwhelmingly of immortal jellyfish, a great gelatin consciousness everlasting".
Nathaniel Rich
post #51 of 65 (permalink) Old March 3rd, 2019, 03:26
World Class Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by van View Post
These are flattering stats too. They were influenced by Sassuolo getting an extremely freak red card from a ridiculous mistake by their keeper. A couple of our chances and some of our possession actually came after that.

This performance and really most of the ones in January are just as bad as the ones earlier in the season, like against Betis and Olympiakos in Europe League. The main difference is that now we seem to have more mental strength (though we still collapse for passages), the individual performances (Donnarumma and Piatek deserve a monument right now), and above all the luck to get results. But really this is unacceptably bad football to my mind.

If we keep playing like this, I'll be 200% in favor of sacking Gattuso ASAP, even if we win every single game between now and the end of the season.

If we win like this till season end, I doubt Gatusso will see the axe. We might end up second in fact

I agree with you on the mental aspect. Also we have been keeping a clean sheet and have one of the best defensive statistic in Europe. That’s our foundation to prepare for CL with or without Gatusso.

post #52 of 65 (permalink) Old March 3rd, 2019, 07:08
Premier Player

The performance was so poor at a point I felt it's unfair for Sassuolo to lose. Aside Donnarumma, no one was any good. Bakayoko was playing like the "Bakayoko" Chelsea sent to us, losing possession, hacking down opponents etc. Kessié was able to pass properly even though he was making those vertical runs and getting into scoring positions. Suso was nonexistent and like van said, Hakan and Paquette were like playing in the same position. Everything was chaos.

But well, what's important are the points. The question though is, what happens when our luck runs out? Already the opposition are finding ways to limit PionTech, using 3 CBs on him and getting very physical on him. And this is where our midfield ability to create is extremely important. Sadly, they were shit!
post #53 of 65 (permalink) Old March 3rd, 2019, 08:18
World Class Player

3 CBS on Piontek because the opponent very well know that our winger can’t outpace them even on counter

post #54 of 65 (permalink) Old March 3rd, 2019, 12:55
Star Player

Teams: Ac Milan
Quote:
Originally Posted by van View Post

I agree even if we finish 3rd this season playing this style of football against lower opposition should be enough to fire Gattuso. Our wing backs stopped making overlapping runs as consistently as they used to and then every time Bakayoko got caught in possession I didn't see one Milan player next to him to allow the easy pass to. All our best chances fell to Kessie who only gets them because he is the only one who runs kinda like what Nocerino used to be for us back in the days. With Suso struggling we really have no reason to play 4-3-3 maybe we should bench him and instead play 4-3-1-2 with LP playing more of a AM role. At this point of the season I can't see us making these changes nor would I blame Gattuso for not trying because right now it's only about winning.

Btw the last few season we've lost points in some freak fashion(gk scoring the equalizer in the 90th min comes to mind) so I am enjoying this turn of fortune.
post #55 of 65 (permalink) Old March 3rd, 2019, 13:45
Star Player

Teams: Milan
The luck narrative again

It's unbelievable really! I wonder what this fan base might have had to say about our Scudetti in 94 or 99....

I mean outside Boga's shot hitting the post, how exactly were we lucky yesterday?! Sassuolo created nothing except for an attempt to tip in a low cross during the first half & Donnarumma saved that brilliantly, as any keeper on a 6 mil contract/year should! Again, no serious/dangerous attempts whatsoever.

That's not to say we were perfect, far from it. But what exactly are the expectations from someone like Gattuso? I think I carried the line from over here - typical Rino wins. That's been our style since he took over really; defensive, physical, unimaginative, boneheaded tactical decisions etc etc! And even lately we seemingly have a consensus around this space the 200 mil project failed big time & we're stuck with mostly an average group of players. So what gives?

Back to yesterday's, from our perspective. We had gazillion crosses, I honestly lost count after a dozen during the first 45 mins. It's crazy nobody connected on ANY of those! The red card is justifiable for me. It's arbitrary whether or not Piatek would've reached the ball afterwards, but there was an empty goal head-on & VAR supported the decision anyhow. The lineup, I'm not so sure if it's mental or physical exhaust. It varies according who you're looking at. Rodriguez for one was on a shit show last night! He was supposedly fresh from a physical standpoint, so it's inexplicable how our left side was just owned by Sassuolo to cross at will! He was simply nonexistent. Kessie had a great game by his own standards; the passing and tracking back were all better, but how about missing those two sitters! Nobody can go shoot for him and those were serious scoring attempts. Paqueta ran a lot pressing & defending, but he missed a sitter identical to the goal he scored a couple of weeks ago against Cagliari. Piatek had a very poor game before he was brutally struck down in the first 30 mins. He missed a header exactly like the one he scored at Atalanta, maybe it was a bad cross from Rodriguez to begin with. He couldn't handle Kessie's long pass either, surprisingly! Maybe he was better come the second half providing for Kessie & causing that red card, but that's it really. Biglia came on urging the lads to push forward only for him to sit back deeper than he should, practice what you preach, man! Calabria didn't set one foot wrong defensively, but left a lot more to desire on the other end, that's someone we know defense ain't his forte! He even played the full 90 mins midweek. I can go on & on. Conclusion, who's who, I simply couldn't tell, one sure thing it's fatigue as I've alluded to earlier & we were sub par. Lady Luck? Sorry, not for me.

No expectations..No disappointments
post #56 of 65 (permalink) Old March 3rd, 2019, 17:14 Thread Starter
van
Community Manager
Legend

You don’t have to call it luck. Fair enough.

The fact is we have constantly been winning games in which we are dominated for long passages, and in which opposition teams have good chances and we score from half chances. These have been games that were at the very best 50/50 decided by factors like a striker essentially creating a goal from nothing and at remarkable ratio, a keeper making very tough saves, and the opposition missing chances by hitting the post (that happened at a key moment against Empoli too), silly mistakes, own goals.

There is some merit to efficiency. And sure, good teams win like that from time to time. But this is not it. Good teams don’t play this bad. I still have hope that ewe can improve, but if we din’t, results will stop coming our way inevitably.

This team doesn’t play half as good as Zac’s title-winning Milan during their good run and the comparison to 1994 is just outlandish. This team actually is not even as good as the team that had a similar run under Gattuso last year.

Nathaniel Rich
post #57 of 65 (permalink) Old March 3rd, 2019, 17:18
Star Player

It's only been a few games where we play this bad. There were many games this season where we imposed ourselves. Every team has periods of bad form. If we're winning during our period of bad form, it can only be a good thing.
post #58 of 65 (permalink) Old March 3rd, 2019, 17:41 Thread Starter
van
Community Manager
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankf31 View Post
It's only been a few games where we play this bad. There were many games this season where we imposed ourselves. Every team has periods of bad form. If we're winning during our period of bad form, it can only be a good thing.
Agreed, we've played much better, including times when we did not get results. But in 2019, we've imposed ourselves maybe in one or two games?

Nathaniel Rich
post #59 of 65 (permalink) Old March 3rd, 2019, 21:59
zoo
Legend

We have had 5 awful seasons result wise and play wise so i am happy with the current form and i hope we keep it up.
Barile_boy likes this.
post #60 of 65 (permalink) Old March 4th, 2019, 02:40 Thread Starter
van
Community Manager
Legend

I am happy about the results too. This was a massive result in light of the Roma game in particular.

It's not about expecting champagne football. I am worried that if we keep playing like this we will collapse. We need to improve A LOT or we'll have a very hard time keeping up.

We actually had a better run of form at the same last season. We went undefeated 14 games, including very tough games. Then we lost in Turin and became shit again.
Johan likes this.

Nathaniel Rich

Last edited by van; March 4th, 2019 at 02:45.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in