Serie A 2019, Week 25. FRIDAY 22/02. Milan - Empoli, 20:30 CET, at San Siro - Xtratime Community
 9Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 128 (permalink) Old February 18th, 2019, 06:37 Thread Starter
van
Community Manager
Legend
 
van's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05 2001
Teams: A.C. Milan
Posts: 12,024
Serie A 2019, Week 25. FRIDAY 22/02. Milan - Empoli, 20:30 CET, at San Siro

Another must win; they all are. The points are crucial above all here, but a good, dominant performance would be exactly what we need to build on.

It's hard to figure out how we're getting many of the results we've been getting lately. A combination of a very clinical and deadly Piatek and a general improvement in quality with Paquetá, solid defense overall, some inspired indvidual plays (like Calabria's cross, Hakan's strike) very good Donnarumma, and perhaps above all a much stronger mental frame.

Whatever may be the reasons, we're getting wins with Suso in poor form -- that would have been almost impossible two months ago. Now Suso will be out; hopefully a chance for Castillejo to prove himself.

Other than Samu, we should expect the standard lineup, unless I'm forgetting something or something develops during the week. I've been a cheerleader for Conti getting minutes, but there's no benching Calabria now. We play Lazio for the Coppa Semis the next week, so that might influence things a bit.

Hakan to score again. You read it first here.
Reza likes this.

"It is possible to imagine a distant future in which most other species of life are extinct but the ocean will consist overwhelmingly of immortal jellyfish, a great gelatin consciousness everlasting".
Nathaniel Rich
van is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 128 (permalink) Old February 18th, 2019, 07:31
Scudetto
Xtratime Legend
 
jani's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01 2003
Location: Kuala Lumpur
Teams: Associazione Calcio Milan
Posts: 23,215
Do you get CL if you don't finish top 4 and win Coppa?

EDIT: Sorry - you don't.


So, who cares about the Coppa tie with Lazio.

Of course I'd still like to win it, but that match shouldn't affect this.
jani is offline  
post #3 of 128 (permalink) Old February 18th, 2019, 07:51 Thread Starter
van
Community Manager
Legend
 
van's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05 2001
Teams: A.C. Milan
Posts: 12,024
Quote:
Originally Posted by jani View Post
Do you get CL if you don't finish top 4 and win Coppa?

EDIT: Sorry - you don't.


So, who cares about the Coppa tie with Lazio.

Of course I'd still like to win it, but that match shouldn't affect this.
I was thinking it could lead Gattuso to take some players off earlier than usual if we’re winning comfortably or something in that vein.

Serie A is the priority, no doubt.

"It is possible to imagine a distant future in which most other species of life are extinct but the ocean will consist overwhelmingly of immortal jellyfish, a great gelatin consciousness everlasting".
Nathaniel Rich
van is offline  
 
post #4 of 128 (permalink) Old February 18th, 2019, 10:46
World Class Player
 
humanTORCH's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09 2002
Location: Near the equator!
Teams: AC MILAN
Posts: 8,409
It’s been a while someone is enthusiastic to open a match thread waaaaaay in advance.


That’s the spirit


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on earth" - Muhammad Ali
humanTORCH is offline  
post #5 of 128 (permalink) Old February 18th, 2019, 16:55
Forum Manager
Legend
 
Join Date: 10 2001
Location: Nakatomi Plaza, 30th floor
Teams: A.C. Milan
Posts: 15,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by van View Post
Another must win; they all are. The points are crucial above all here, but a good, dominant performance would be exactly what we need to build on.

It's hard to figure out how we're getting many of the results we've been getting lately. A combination of a very clinical and deadly Piatek and a general improvement in quality with Paquetá, solid defense overall, some inspired indvidual plays (like Calabria's cross, Hakan's strike) very good Donnarumma, and perhaps above all a much stronger mental frame.

Whatever may be the reasons, we're getting wins with Suso in poor form -- that would have been almost impossible two months ago. Now Suso will be out; hopefully a chance for Castillejo to prove himself.

Other than Samu, we should expect the standard lineup, unless I'm forgetting something or something develops during the week. I've been a cheerleader for Conti getting minutes, but there's no benching Calabria now. We play Lazio for the Coppa Semis the next week, so that might influence things a bit.

Hakan to score again. You read it first here.

I think you're spot-on with why we're getting the results.

Our bad run of form in December (draws against Torino, Bologna, Frosinone and loss to Fiorentina) could have been down to how Rino had tried to adjust with formation, as we were trying to play with 4-4-2 more often (which I must admit I thought had potential at first). Coupled with injuries, rotation for Europa, could have also attributed to it.

Everything is a lot more simple now. Rino knows 4-3-3 is what works best. He knows his best eleven and without the Europa League he can dedicate a good amount of time in preparing the team in training.
Rodriguez is offline  
post #6 of 128 (permalink) Old February 18th, 2019, 17:23
Star Player
 
MrChauvi's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01 2009
Location: Toronto
Teams: Ac Milan
Posts: 3,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodriguez View Post
I think you're spot-on with why we're getting the results.

Our bad run of form in December (draws against Torino, Bologna, Frosinone and loss to Fiorentina) could have been down to how Rino had tried to adjust with formation, as we were trying to play with 4-4-2 more often (which I must admit I thought had potential at first). Coupled with injuries, rotation for Europa, could have also attributed to it.

Everything is a lot more simple now. Rino knows 4-3-3 is what works best. He knows his best eleven and without the Europa League he can dedicate a good amount of time in preparing the team in training.
I'm not sure if its just Rino adjustment.

We just got a striker who has scored 6 goals in 5 games and a young creative midfielder in Paqueta spending almost 71million euro's. And then there is an important fact that we finally got back our cb's that were out for a long time. Gattuso's makeshift line ups were due to having players out .......but 95% of our recent hot streak i'd put at those two factors(new players+returns from injury).

Ps. Maybe even getting Higuain outta town might've helped unite the players.
MrChauvi is offline  
post #7 of 128 (permalink) Old February 18th, 2019, 17:47
Forum Manager
Legend
 
Join Date: 10 2001
Location: Nakatomi Plaza, 30th floor
Teams: A.C. Milan
Posts: 15,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChauvi View Post
I'm not sure if its just Rino adjustment.

We just got a striker who has scored 6 goals in 5 games and a young creative midfielder in Paqueta spending almost 71million euro's. And then there is an important fact that we finally got back our cb's that were out for a long time. Gattuso's makeshift line ups were due to having players out .......but 95% of our recent hot streak i'd put at those two factors(new players+returns from injury).

Ps. Maybe even getting Higuain outta town might've helped unite the players.

True - I meant my points in addition to what van said (i.e. - Piatek, Paqueta, etc).
Rodriguez is offline  
post #8 of 128 (permalink) Old February 18th, 2019, 18:06
World Class Player
 
Join Date: 10 2001
Location: Copenhagen
Teams: A.C. Milan
Posts: 9,870
Will not be easy. Last season this fixture ended with an Empoli win. They’re also confident after a 3-0 win against Sassuolo. Need to stay focused and hope we keep being clinical when we get the chances.
Laudrup is offline  
post #9 of 128 (permalink) Old February 18th, 2019, 18:09
World Class Player
 
Join Date: 10 2001
Location: Copenhagen
Teams: A.C. Milan
Posts: 9,870
Quote:
Originally Posted by van View Post
Hakan to score again. You read it first here.


Don’t forget to place a bet this time!
Laudrup is offline  
post #10 of 128 (permalink) Old February 18th, 2019, 19:08 Thread Starter
van
Community Manager
Legend
 
van's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05 2001
Teams: A.C. Milan
Posts: 12,024
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laudrup View Post


Don’t forget to place a bet this time!
I just found out that sports betting is not legal where I currently live! It may soon become allowed though. They also just voted to approve a law that allows anybody to buy guns without any kind of license. Gotta love the Bible Belt.

"It is possible to imagine a distant future in which most other species of life are extinct but the ocean will consist overwhelmingly of immortal jellyfish, a great gelatin consciousness everlasting".
Nathaniel Rich
van is offline  
post #11 of 128 (permalink) Old February 18th, 2019, 19:14 Thread Starter
van
Community Manager
Legend
 
van's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05 2001
Teams: A.C. Milan
Posts: 12,024
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChauvi View Post
I'm not sure if its just Rino adjustment.

We just got a striker who has scored 6 goals in 5 games and a young creative midfielder in Paqueta spending almost 71million euro's. And then there is an important fact that we finally got back our cb's that were out for a long time. Gattuso's makeshift line ups were due to having players out .......but 95% of our recent hot streak i'd put at those two factors(new players+returns from injury).

Ps. Maybe even getting Higuain outta town might've helped unite the players.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodriguez View Post
True - I meant my points in addition to what van said (i.e. - Piatek, Paqueta, etc).
I also just think we've also been a bit lucky if I'm honest. We have been far from impressive in many of these wins.

But the improvement in individual performances (except Suso) does lead to give credit to Gattuso. That's why I mentioned the mental aspect. He's managed to give these guys confidence. He doesn't change the lineup up too much, which can be frustrating, but this is one of pros of that approach. Donnarumma is the most obvious among several examples (Calabria, Musacchio, Bakayoko); hopefully Calhanoglu will be the next one. Last season he showed he is a streak kind of player, and even already last game after scoring he seemed like a different, more effective player.

"It is possible to imagine a distant future in which most other species of life are extinct but the ocean will consist overwhelmingly of immortal jellyfish, a great gelatin consciousness everlasting".
Nathaniel Rich
van is offline  
post #12 of 128 (permalink) Old February 18th, 2019, 19:18
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend
 
dabdob's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08 2004
Location: Jerusalem
Teams: AC Milan, Netherlands
Posts: 23,818
Quote:
Originally Posted by van View Post
I just found out that sports betting is not legal where I currently live! It may soon become allowed though. They also just voted to approve a law that allows anybody to buy guns without any kind of license. Gotta love the Bible Belt.
What? You still need a license to buy guns?
dabdob is offline  
post #13 of 128 (permalink) Old February 18th, 2019, 20:27
Rising Star
 
Barile_boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09 2008
Location: the states
Teams: milan & azzurri
Posts: 101
calhanoglu is a good player, and hopefully is now unlocked after that sweet strike. he did seem to play with more zip and confidence after that goal.

we seem to be playing tough, disciplined, organized and with conviction. grande gattuso!
Barile_boy is offline  
post #14 of 128 (permalink) Old February 18th, 2019, 21:39 Thread Starter
van
Community Manager
Legend
 
van's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05 2001
Teams: A.C. Milan
Posts: 12,024
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabdob View Post
What? You still need a license to buy guns?
Soon you won't; that is, if you are "a law-abiding citizen."

Anyway, anybody knows anything about the rivals? They just beat Sassuolo 3-0, and they're fighting for their lives, three points above relegation. They have several experienced players, including a few familiar faces for Milan fans.

"It is possible to imagine a distant future in which most other species of life are extinct but the ocean will consist overwhelmingly of immortal jellyfish, a great gelatin consciousness everlasting".
Nathaniel Rich
van is offline  
post #15 of 128 (permalink) Old February 19th, 2019, 00:02
Star Player
 
frankf31's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02 2012
Teams: AC Milan
Posts: 4,635
Quote:
Originally Posted by van View Post
Soon you won't; that is, if you are "a law-abiding citizen."
Aka white, amirite
frankf31 is offline  
post #16 of 128 (permalink) Old February 19th, 2019, 00:40
Administrators
Legend
 
Reza's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08 2001
Location: Canada
Teams: Milan
Posts: 10,798
Quote:
Originally Posted by van View Post
Soon you won't; that is, if you are "a law-abiding citizen."

Anyway, anybody knows anything about the rivals? They just beat Sassuolo 3-0, and they're fighting for their lives, three points above relegation. They have several experienced players, including a few familiar faces for Milan fans.
0 away wins this season, may be we will provide it for them
Reza is offline  
post #17 of 128 (permalink) Old February 20th, 2019, 14:19
World Class Player
 
humanTORCH's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09 2002
Location: Near the equator!
Teams: AC MILAN
Posts: 8,409
How will we play without Suso? This will be interesting but Gatusso will just go for straight swap.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on earth" - Muhammad Ali
humanTORCH is offline  
post #18 of 128 (permalink) Old February 20th, 2019, 16:00 Thread Starter
van
Community Manager
Legend
 
van's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05 2001
Teams: A.C. Milan
Posts: 12,024
If Castillejo doesn’t start this game we might as well get rid of him ASAP.

There’s a lot to improve in the way we play, but for now I really can’t imagine that any solution would not involve using two wingers.

"It is possible to imagine a distant future in which most other species of life are extinct but the ocean will consist overwhelmingly of immortal jellyfish, a great gelatin consciousness everlasting".
Nathaniel Rich
van is offline  
post #19 of 128 (permalink) Old February 20th, 2019, 22:49
Star Player
 
MrChauvi's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01 2009
Location: Toronto
Teams: Ac Milan
Posts: 3,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodriguez View Post
True - I meant my points in addition to what van said (i.e. - Piatek, Paqueta, etc).
Oh, my bad I misunderstood.


Quote:
Originally Posted by van View Post
I also just think we've also been a bit lucky if I'm honest. We have been far from impressive in many of these wins.

But the improvement in individual performances (except Suso) does lead to give credit to Gattuso. That's why I mentioned the mental aspect. He's managed to give these guys confidence. He doesn't change the lineup up too much, which can be frustrating, but this is one of pros of that approach. Donnarumma is the most obvious among several examples (Calabria, Musacchio, Bakayoko); hopefully Calhanoglu will be the next one. Last season he showed he is a streak kind of player, and even already last game after scoring he seemed like a different, more effective player.
Yeah we might be a bit lucky but I also feel like we created our own luck. Take the Atlanta game I think we had like a 20-30min stretch where we were just dominating them. It's within that 20 min stretch where we scored 3 goals now the challenge for Gattuso is how can we extend that 20 mins. Sure Gattuso does deserve some credit ie. Making these guys be tougher mentally so that when we concede we don't just give up. Not sure if ill lay at his feet individuals playing better I think that might have more to do with some of the new pieces we have in our squad.
MrChauvi is offline  
post #20 of 128 (permalink) Old February 21st, 2019, 03:11
World Class Player
 
humanTORCH's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09 2002
Location: Near the equator!
Teams: AC MILAN
Posts: 8,409
Quote:
Originally Posted by van View Post
If Castillejo doesn’t start this game we might as well get rid of him ASAP.

There’s a lot to improve in the way we play, but for now I really can’t imagine that any solution would not involve using two wingers.


We could if Biglia start the match but I doubt Gatusso will tinker at this stage.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on earth" - Muhammad Ali
humanTORCH is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome