Serie A 2019, Week 25. FRIDAY 22/02. Milan - Empoli, 20:30 CET, at San Siro - Page 7 - Xtratime Community
 9Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #121 of 128 (permalink) Old February 23rd, 2019, 09:23
World Class Player
 
humanTORCH's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09 2002
Location: Near the equator!
Teams: AC MILAN
Posts: 8,409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yashimi Nakitu View Post
Castillejo Vs Empoli

11.25 km covered distance
1 Goal (xG = 0.39)
1 Assist (xA = 0.40)
2 Key passes (highest)
3 Aerials won (highest)
2 Dribbles (highest)
2 Tackles (highest)
2 Interceptions
3 Clearences
84.9% Passing rate

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G955F met Tapatalk


He is giving Suso a run of his money
Competition is good.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on earth" - Muhammad Ali
humanTORCH is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #122 of 128 (permalink) Old February 23rd, 2019, 09:37
Forum Manager
Legend
 
Join Date: 10 2001
Location: Nakatomi Plaza, 30th floor
Teams: A.C. Milan
Posts: 15,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by van View Post
What I saw in a nutshell: we were very poor the first half, I think most people will agree. Then we almost conceded early in the second, but immediately scored two goals in two minutes, off some good play and poor defense from Empoli. We created some other chances, but barely dominated or looked particularly impressive except for extremely specific passages.

So no "disaster", just more or less our usual, but against very weak opposition. A decent team like Atalanta or Betis would have given us a lot of trouble playing like this; a team better than those would have likely put us against the ropes and we'd have depended on heroics in both boxes by Donnarumma + Piatek to get something. Which is okay, as long as those two keep it up.

Still, several players are improving, which is encouraging, and the team as a whole seems much more solid mentally.

Regarding your comment in bold - yes a better team will always give us trouble if we lower our level, but the reality is that this isn't our level. We went to Atalanta's fortress and over 90 minutes were the better team. We held our own away to Roma and took a point, and did the same in our two home games against Napoli (win and draw).

It was touched upon earlier with reference to Juve, but there is something to be said about playing poorly and winning. It's an issue when that is the only way we win and it only works against the lower teams, but I'll take ugly 1-0's against the Cagliaris of this world all day if the players can up their game against the bigger teams.
Rodriguez is offline  
post #123 of 128 (permalink) Old February 23rd, 2019, 12:43
Star Player
 
Join Date: 01 2004
Location: Cairo, Egypt
Teams: Milan
Posts: 3,003
Not a fan of the 20-20 hindsight & revisionism Gattuso is subjected to over here, sometimes even in the media. And to think I don't even agree with Gattuso's direction! I acknowledge the progress & the turnaround throughout the past month, though. And I very much appreciate it. Yes, we're mostly one-dimensional, could be easily predictable & subsequently shut down, we're pressured & pegged back occasionally.... But the game plan is efficient & more importantly it's delivering results! We're sticking to basics & it's actually functioning. The execution & movements are getting better by the week. Defense shored up big time. Donnarumma is doing his thing when called upon. Piatek is scoring right, left & center - precisely why he was brought in. That's not to say we're perfect & all's well. It's true we just go AWOL sometimes like last night's first half for instance. Our full backs on either side lack the basic defensive skills & expose us badly, that's Gattuso's talk btw. Nonetheless, we're evolving, trusting the process, all while getting the W's!

I'm truly struggling to see any luck factor in or the relevance of the numerous if's asked around!

No expectations..No disappointments
sheriff is offline  
 
post #124 of 128 (permalink) Old February 23rd, 2019, 16:19 Thread Starter
van
Community Manager
Legend
 
van's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05 2001
Teams: A.C. Milan
Posts: 12,024
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodriguez View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by van View Post
What I saw in a nutshell: we were very poor the first half, I think most people will agree. Then we almost conceded early in the second, but immediately scored two goals in two minutes, off some good play and poor defense from Empoli. We created some other chances, but barely dominated or looked particularly impressive except for extremely specific passages.

So no "disaster", just more or less our usual, but against very weak opposition. A decent team like Atalanta or Betis would have given us a lot of trouble playing like this; a team better than those would have likely put us against the ropes and we'd have depended on heroics in both boxes by Donnarumma + Piatek to get something. Which is okay, as long as those two keep it up.

Still, several players are improving, which is encouraging, and the team as a whole seems much more solid mentally.

Regarding your comment in bold - yes a better team will always give us trouble if we lower our level, but the reality is that this isn't our level. We went to Atalanta's fortress and over 90 minutes were the better team. We held our own away to Roma and took a point, and did the same in our two home games against Napoli (win and draw).

It was touched upon earlier with reference to Juve, but there is something to be said about playing poorly and winning. It's an issue when that is the only way we win and it only works against the lower teams, but I'll take ugly 1-0's against the Cagliaris of this world all day if the players can up their game against the bigger teams.
See, I really don’t think we were better than Atalanta over 90 minutes. They kicked our ass in the first half and ee miraculously scored from what wasn’t even a hapf chance. In the second we were at best slightly superior.

There’s no arguing with results of course, but what can I say? Yesterday was similar. Really poor first half, in the second just good enough, just against very poor opposition. As mentioned before, I’ll take it, but won’t be shocked if results stop. Basically it takes one bad day from Piatek.

"It is possible to imagine a distant future in which most other species of life are extinct but the ocean will consist overwhelmingly of immortal jellyfish, a great gelatin consciousness everlasting".
Nathaniel Rich
van is offline  
post #125 of 128 (permalink) Old February 23rd, 2019, 17:46
Forum Manager
Legend
 
Join Date: 10 2001
Location: Nakatomi Plaza, 30th floor
Teams: A.C. Milan
Posts: 15,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by van View Post
See, I really don’t think we were better than Atalanta over 90 minutes. They kicked our ass in the first half and ee miraculously scored from what wasn’t even a hapf chance. In the second we were at best slightly superior.

There’s no arguing with results of course, but what can I say? Yesterday was similar. Really poor first half, in the second just good enough, just against very poor opposition. As mentioned before, I’ll take it, but won’t be shocked if results stop. Basically it takes one bad day from Piatek.

I don't think it's all about Piatek though (or Paqueta for that matter). If this was an instance where a couple of players were carrying us to victory I would be concerned, but aside from Piatek and Paqueta's quality, we have a brilliant Donnarumma, an almost flawless Romagnoli (his stats make for impressive reading), Bakayoko bossing it in midfield and even an improved Hakan and Kessie. It's a team effort.

Ancelotti's comments on Sarriball and Atletico somewhat touches upon why I feel this Milan team is playing well in a way that isn't pretty, isn't based on creative flowing possession based football, but it is effective.

https://www.football-italia.net/1350...-more-cholismo
Rodriguez is offline  
post #126 of 128 (permalink) Old February 23rd, 2019, 18:43 Thread Starter
van
Community Manager
Legend
 
van's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05 2001
Teams: A.C. Milan
Posts: 12,024
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodriguez View Post
I don't think it's all about Piatek though (or Paqueta for that matter). If this was an instance where a couple of players were carrying us to victory I would be concerned, but aside from Piatek and Paqueta's quality, we have a brilliant Donnarumma, an almost flawless Romagnoli (his stats make for impressive reading), Bakayoko bossing it in midfield and even an improved Hakan and Kessie. It's a team effort.

Ancelotti's comments on Sarriball and Atletico somewhat touches upon why I feel this Milan team is playing well in a way that isn't pretty, isn't based on creative flowing possession based football, but it is effective.

https://www.football-italia.net/1350...-more-cholismo
I agree that several players are doing better, but very likely that is not enough. It's pretty objective that Piatek essentially saved us against Atalanta, with an absolutely out of the blue goal. Yesterday he also broke a game that was starting to get really worrying.

We've seen it before. This is the kind of performance that led to things like the 1-0 defeat to Inter. Not creating chances, seating very deep, depending on 1-2 individuals, and when they're off or the opposition has quality players who are on, we lose like that or get mediocre draws against poor teams.

What is definitely true is that there's more confidence, and keeping the good results will only make everything better. It's not about aesthetics for me. It's about creating chances and controlling games, and not necessarily in terms of possession either. Getting everybody back to defend in their own half 60% of the time and then hoping for Piatek to do magic hardly seems like a sustainable strategy. But that's just me -- as long as it works in terms of results, this is just me worrying too much...

"It is possible to imagine a distant future in which most other species of life are extinct but the ocean will consist overwhelmingly of immortal jellyfish, a great gelatin consciousness everlasting".
Nathaniel Rich
van is offline  
post #127 of 128 (permalink) Old February 24th, 2019, 02:01
World Class Player
 
humanTORCH's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09 2002
Location: Near the equator!
Teams: AC MILAN
Posts: 8,409
The lack of contribution is our main issue here. Hakan on scored once in a blue moon. Suso tend to fade away at this time when we really need him.
Porntek will have his off day and we are screwed. He has been decisive with the first goal for past matches. The first half against Empoli suggest that we are still a team of the past. There was no supply to Porntek.
But we know that this team need wc players on certain positions.
Samu played well as he has speed on the flank and not just taking on the opponent.
Speed is what this team really need, a good counterattack to really worry opponents.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on earth" - Muhammad Ali
humanTORCH is offline  
post #128 of 128 (permalink) Old February 24th, 2019, 10:08
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend
 
bono's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03 2001
Location: in your head
Teams: Il club piu ...
Posts: 43,320
Blog Entries: 1
They already expect more than 60k for the Sasuolo game . Gazzett’s leading stiory in the morning. The winning effect aka the Piatek effect.

bono is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome