Serie A 2019, Week 25. FRIDAY 22/02. Milan - Empoli, 20:30 CET, at San Siro - Page 6 - Xtratime Community
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #101 of 128 (permalink) Old February 22nd, 2019, 21:21
Star Player

Teams: AC Milan
There's the Borini I know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #102 of 128 (permalink) Old February 22nd, 2019, 21:23
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: AC Milan, Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yashimi Nakitu View Post
I agree. Hopefully over time we will have a system that can make the correct decision much faster, almost instantly eventually. Let's keep in mind that this has just been introduced

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G955F met Tapatalk
Is the second year in Italy.

But it is fairly quick. This is the first time for me I see them taking too much time. Maybe because empoli players didn't protest. Usually the other team players protest and the ref instantly consult VAR refs.
post #103 of 128 (permalink) Old February 22nd, 2019, 21:26
Forum Manager
Legend

Teams: Milan, BIH NT, Velez Mostar
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabdob View Post
Is the second year in Italy.

But it is fairly quick. This is the first time for me I see them taking too much time. Maybe because empoli players didn't protest. Usually the other team players protest and the ref instantly consult VAR refs.
I know it's the 2nd year but it's still a pretty new thing in football that will hopefully improve over time.

P.S. Samu was the mom imo, what a performance!

Himna BIH

Mojoj dragoj BIH - BHFanaticos

Ne mogu te oni mrzit koliko te mi volimo

post #104 of 128 (permalink) Old February 22nd, 2019, 21:37 Thread Starter
van
Community Manager
Legend

Teams: A.C. Milan
Anyway, valuable three points, but were not super impressive. We scored three and had two gals (I think rightfully) disallowed, plus one or two more chances in the second half while Empoli had just one chance that I can remember, at 0-0 early in the second half.

And yet somehow the result feels flattering, despite several positives in terms of individual performances and another clean sheet.

It's probably because Empoli were extremely poor, but it's the pattern in this good run. We're grinding away the wins, to a large extent thanks to Piatek opening the scoresheet when we need it, but we never really look convincing. I'll take it, but also wonder how sustainable it is.

"It is possible to imagine a distant future in which most other species of life are extinct but the ocean will consist overwhelmingly of immortal jellyfish, a great gelatin consciousness everlasting".
Nathaniel Rich
post #105 of 128 (permalink) Old February 22nd, 2019, 21:41
Star Player

Juve wins without looking convincing all the time. Only results matter in Serie A. The minnows are so good at defending and closing up space.
post #106 of 128 (permalink) Old February 22nd, 2019, 21:41
aim
Premier Player

Teams: only Milan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yashimi Nakitu View Post

P.S. Samu was the mom imo, what a performance!
For me as well. Castillejo is one of the few ones in current Milan team who have certain football intelligence knowing what to do with the ball, unlike Kessie. He absolutely has the capability to fight with Suso for the start-up position.

Bakayoko is very solid in the middle. But we need some more creativity in the middle field.

Cutrone needs to score a goal to release his frustration, unfortunately his teammates except Castillejo are not terribly interested to go forward for some more goals.
post #107 of 128 (permalink) Old February 22nd, 2019, 21:42
Premier Player

Teams: Your Maldini
Quote:
Originally Posted by van View Post
It's probably because Empoli were extremely poor, but it's the pattern in this good run. We're grinding away the wins, to a large extent thanks to Piatek opening the scoresheet when we need it, but we never really look convincing. I'll take it, but also wonder how sustainable it is.
Not enough good defenders to double team Piatek and if he has a day off one of Paqueta, Hakan, Suso or Samu is bound to have a good game.
post #108 of 128 (permalink) Old February 22nd, 2019, 21:45
Premier Player

Teams: Your Maldini
And those low crosses of Conti are something else.
post #109 of 128 (permalink) Old February 22nd, 2019, 21:51
Star Player

Teams: Milan
Great win! We solidify our grip on 4th, keep breathing down sfinter's necks. Absolutely pleased for Castillejo, man of the match for me, and not just for the goal, assist, shots & numerous charges offensively, his defense & tracking back were outstanding as well! He covered for Conti a few times, especially during the second half. He's a lefty, but his right foot is more than functional & his athleticism allows him to go all the way down the line & still use his preferred left foot without that silly inverted move! I always wanted to see what Samu could do on an extended run in the starting XI. He should be able to push Suso to the bench at the moment imo.

Conti, disastrous. I don't care what he does on offense, he's a ticking bomb defensively, aim called it best during HT. If I had to decide, he'd be behind Abate in the pecking order.

I won't change my mind re Kessie. We would be just at 2-0 tonight minus his contribution. The suspect passes are still there. Lacklustre effort as well as of late covering ground, closing down opponents - at least for a bruiser. Nothing impressive.

Not a bad game by Hakan, surprisingly! Seems to be feeding off the backing & support he's been receiving & it's paying off... Silly booking, though. Hopefully he keeps evolving.

PS Officiating was silly tonight on that 4th goal! It had no business being cancelled for a block on Cutrone. Empoli had the exact charge at Piatek during the first half, it was even worse with two defenders doing the blocking & VAR called nothing!

No expectations..No disappointments

Last edited by sheriff; February 22nd, 2019 at 21:58.
post #110 of 128 (permalink) Old February 22nd, 2019, 22:10
Oni
Premier Player

Maybe Kessie will go on a scoring spree with Conti back in the team. But seriously, I'm happy he chipped the goal keeper in stead of shooting normally. We all know how that would have ended..
post #111 of 128 (permalink) Old February 22nd, 2019, 22:11 Thread Starter
van
Community Manager
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankf31 View Post
Juve wins without looking convincing all the time. Only results matter in Serie A. The minnows are so good at defending and closing up space.
It's true, but that's always been their thing, and they usually have insane quality upfront to explain it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Doc View Post
Not enough good defenders to double team Piatek and if he has a day off one of Paqueta, Hakan, Suso or Samu is bound to have a good game.

I hope you are right, but I am a bit skeptic about any and all of these guys showing up when it comes to scoring goals reliably.

"It is possible to imagine a distant future in which most other species of life are extinct but the ocean will consist overwhelmingly of immortal jellyfish, a great gelatin consciousness everlasting".
Nathaniel Rich
post #112 of 128 (permalink) Old February 22nd, 2019, 23:03
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Il club piu ...
I know you criticize Conte here guys but does he have a game without an assist since he came back?

post #113 of 128 (permalink) Old February 22nd, 2019, 23:32
Forum Manager
Legend

Couldn't watch the game but pleased to hear Samu had a good performance. Hopefully he can deliver consistently. At times he featured on the left flank for Villarreal, so it would be a huge benefit if he proves to be a viable option for Hakan on that side, plus to give Suso some competition on the right.
post #114 of 128 (permalink) Old February 23rd, 2019, 00:00
Scudetto
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Associazione Calcio Milan
Wow I saw the game and was pretty happy (esp the second half) - but then I come here to read what a disaster we played.. What!

Anyway - still don't get Borini's disallowed goal. Cutrone blocked the defender yes.. but was it such an offense to disallow the goal?

Also, what formation did we play? At times it was so random that even Samu appeared on the left wing.

Hakan was also in midfield a lot but so was Paqueta. Not until Borini came in was there a "dedicated LW".
post #115 of 128 (permalink) Old February 23rd, 2019, 00:25
Star Player

Cutrone was offside and interfered with play.

We play a very fluid 4-3-3 with players roaming and making runs wherever there is space when we attack. At least against smaller teams. The formation becomes more rigid as our opponent's level increases. I think Gattuso gave everyone more freedom at half time which explains the better second half.
post #116 of 128 (permalink) Old February 23rd, 2019, 00:26
World Class Player

Teams: AC MILAN
Just touch down from travel. Great win

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on earth" - Muhammad Ali
post #117 of 128 (permalink) Old February 23rd, 2019, 03:33 Thread Starter
van
Community Manager
Legend

What I saw in a nutshell: we were very poor the first half, I think most people will agree. Then we almost conceded early in the second, but immediately scored two goals in two minutes, off some good play and poor defense from Empoli. We created some other chances, but barely dominated or looked particularly impressive except for extremely specific passages.

So no "disaster", just more or less our usual, but against very weak opposition. A decent team like Atalanta or Betis would have given us a lot of trouble playing like this; a team better than those would have likely put us against the ropes and we'd have depended on heroics in both boxes by Donnarumma + Piatek to get something. Which is okay, as long as those two keep it up.

Still, several players are improving, which is encouraging, and the team as a whole seems much more solid mentally.

Nathaniel Rich
post #118 of 128 (permalink) Old February 23rd, 2019, 05:45
Premier Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono View Post
I know you criticize Conte here guys but does he have a game without an assist since he came back?
I personally don't even understand the Conti criticism. For what, really? We all know the type of player he is. The type that thrive going forward, creating chances for forwards, helping the RW in opening space and lines up. And these he does with great effects. So saying he was a disaster in defense is so strange. And I can't even recall that Empoli created chances because of him. And if Empoli were using Conti's wing to attack, couldn't that be because maybe that's where their strength lies? Didn't we almost always rely on Suso to attack, using his side much more than the LW? Does that make the opposition RB poor? Have we also forgotten this is Conti's first start in 544 days?!!! Can't expect him to be as sharp as we'd like, no?

So while I agree Conti's strength isn't his defensive prowess, but to put him down based on last night game is so off!!

Yeah Conti’s offensive contribution is good enough to justify how useful he is. Really impressive output so far, but of course the sample is still small. He needs to play more.

He did get burnt horribly at least once in the first half, made to look like an old player, not even trying . Other than that I’m not sure what he did do wrong defensively.
zoo likes this.

Last edited by van; February 23rd, 2019 at 16:27.
post #119 of 128 (permalink) Old February 23rd, 2019, 08:12
Forum Manager
Legend

Teams: Milan, BIH NT, Velez Mostar
Castillejo Vs Empoli

11.25 km covered distance
1 Goal (xG = 0.39)
1 Assist (xA = 0.40)
2 Key passes (highest)
3 Aerials won (highest)
2 Dribbles (highest)
2 Tackles (highest)
2 Interceptions
3 Clearences
84.9% Passing rate

Himna BIH

Mojoj dragoj BIH - BHFanaticos

Ne mogu te oni mrzit koliko te mi volimo
post #120 of 128 (permalink) Old February 23rd, 2019, 08:42
Forum Manager
Legend

Teams: Milan & Chelsea & Holland
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankf31 View Post
There's the Borini I know.

lmao

Bill Shankly: "If you're in the penalty area and you're not sure what to do, stick it in the net and we can discuss the options afterwards."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in