Xtratime Community banner

Fire Gattuso!

9K views 268 replies 30 participants last post by  Inas_ 
#1 ·
Well, he's not gonna get fired without a thread!

Let's her the pro and con arguments.

Merry Christmas!

#2 ·
Merry Christmas, new year, and whatever you are into this time of the year, dab, and everyone.

At this point I'm tired of Rino too, but I am completely against sacking him if it's not to bring a much more proven coach. No to more ex players, young promising managers, etc. Get an elite manager and trust him or bust.

#3 ·
I don't even believe it's an issue of pros and cons. It's evident we can't get anywhere far with Gattuso. I have been willing to cut him some little slack but this disappeared with yesterday's singular act of substitutions. That moment he subbed Mauri for Laxalt/Conti (?) was the moment I finally gave up on Gattuso and realized he's just not it. Not smart, not astute.

And unlike van, I won't mind sacking him now and getting a caretaker coach for the rest of the season, after which we can get someone a very good coach. Heck, can't Leonardo himself take over for the rest of the season? He can't do worse ?

#7 ·
We hire a Donadoni type manager and we enter a new cycle of the exact same. At best he gets the fourth spot and we’re stuck with someone who will never take us to the next level. At worst, we’ll just be utter shit. Remember under Montella we looked like a relegation-battle-bound team.

We’re playing for something here, 4th place would be very important for the club. We may not like Gattuso and he certainly is not world class but he is a capable manager. Results have been okay under him, all things considered. Remember the injury mess too. I would be quite surprised if we do much better with some other b-list manager.

If we get a big manager he can fail too, but at least we’d be playing the long term game.

#8 ·
Buon anno!

No point firing if we dont have a replacement and a strategy - what is the objective of Milan nowadays, what football we want to play, what funds we have for tranafers and who is our long term owner? If we dont know the answer then firing someone to get a new guy and give him bakayoko and ask for goals and CL football is retarded. Someone like Conte wont come unless we have a €200mn budget for transfers...

#11 ·
I don't mean only Conte, Mourinho, Zidane, Carlo, etc., although someone like that would be ideal for me. We just need a manager of status and with a proven track of having built a good team so he can be trusted to build a long term project... not the upteenth manager who at best had a decent season in Serie A or is just a Milan household name.

Maybe Jardim the guy who was sacked from Monaco.

#14 ·
Too old and not hungry for a new country plus the mess we are, if he wanted it he would have taken over at Monaco...

#16 ·
Crapttuso sucked as a footballer, he sucks even more as a manager!
Why? He lacks the footy brains...that's why!

#17 ·
Yep he was no Kleberson

#18 ·
Imo, sacking or keeping Gattuso isn't (or shouldn't be) a function of the availability of top, realistic Managers. Neither should it be seen as impulsive. If the results are good, fine keep him. If not, sack him by all means. It's foolish to cling to him simply because "there aren't much better available out there". If things keep getting bad and there's a possibility of someone improving things, get him. We can't watch things deteriorate while we wait for the Contes and Ancelottis of this world to become available.

#19 ·
That's fair, but only if things get worse result-wise and taking into account the injury situation. Mourinho for example needed to go ASAP as he had lost the plot completely and was dramatically destroying his squad, not using the best players, everyone was underperforming and morale was crap. We're not there yet -- but we do seem to be heading in a similar direction lately. If it continues, I agree.

#20 ·
So if he finishes 4th we go into CL with him? I don't think it is debatable that 3-1 Olympiacos type result is at least more likely than not with Gattuso (in the CL). In the CL vs 3 other teams compared to Serie A vs 19 other teams is vastly different, and since we Milan fans keep talking about CL DNA we will be destroying lots by CL losses than finishing 7th instead of 4th in Serie A. My point is 'results are good' in Serie A is very relative and like I said before 4th is not that impressive really.

#21 ·
4th is what we need to get. More than that is very hard considering the opposition (Juve, Napoli, Inter). Less is underachieving, even if Roma and Lazio are decent teams.

I don’t think Gattuso should stay if he qualifies to CL, at least unless he truly masterminds a brilliant second half of the season and gives Juve a scare or sonething: fat chance of that happening.

But what would be the point in replacing him with a manager that has shown no sign that he could do better? If it was to solve a mid-season crisis, I get it. Sometimes you need change, shake the team up, in fact just like when Gattuso arrived and saved our season. But sack him if he has a decent campaign (4th) only to get another Gattuso? Rinse and repeat? I mean if it makes you happy, sure, but I don’t see what’s the point other than venting frustration at the current manager, then the next, then the next.

#22 ·
All said and done, for me the issues are three;
1) If we finished 4th, qualified for the CL and there's no top class coach available, then Gattuso should stay on.

2) We finished 4th, qualified for the CL and a top Manager like Conte, Zidane, Wenger, Sarri (it's Chelsea so you never can tell ?) become available, we get him and say thank you to Gattuso.

3) Results keep getting worse or stay same. Then in this case we sack Gattuso and get someone in the mould of Jardim, Giampaolo, Gasperini, Donadoni. While not top notch coaches, these are certainly better coaches than Gattuso and will do a better job.

#25 ·
2) We finished 4th, qualified for the CL and a top Manager like Conte, Zidane, Wenger, Sarri (it's Chelsea so you never can tell ��) become available, we get him and say thank you to Gattuso.
:howler:

No idea what dream world you guys live in.

This make belief fantasy is even funnier than thinking this predicament is the coach's fault.

I hope you do end up with Wenger. That'd be entertainment level 9999.

#23 ·
Agreed, except I don't think Wenger belongs with the very elite ones these days, and I really don't rate Donadoni.

#29 ·
So who's going to be the next coach?

Pirlo? Kaka? Serginho? Milan might as well sign MARADONA, Dags bets his presence alone will help increase your attendance numbers. :happy:

#30 ·
At least we still attract the shitty posters.

#34 ·
I'm fairly disappointed in Leonardo's & Maldini's approach towards this issue. Maybe hoping they would have fired Gattuso straightaway when they came in was a tad too progressive, but right now that's a no-brainer really! There's an inherent problem with Gattuso's management. If they can't see that for themselves & would still stall for more points against relegation side(s), I give up really... That's the only viable window we will ever have to try & save the season! Ball's in their court.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.