Fire Gattuso! - Page 3 - Xtratime Community
 24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 269 (permalink) Old February 23rd, 2019, 08:43
Forum Manager
Legend

Teams: Milan & Chelsea & Holland
Credit the man for working quietly to steady the ship and go on a long undefeated run, deserves some patience.

Bill Shankly: "If you're in the penalty area and you're not sure what to do, stick it in the net and we can discuss the options afterwards."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 269 (permalink) Old February 23rd, 2019, 09:41
Forum Manager
Legend

Teams: A.C. Milan
True. After the EL exit and the poor league results in December he's turned things around.

However we also had a strong run when he took over last year and our CL hopes fell apart later on. And that has to remain the difference between whether he keeps his job or not.
post #43 of 269 (permalink) Old February 23rd, 2019, 12:44
Legend

Well let's be frank. He restarted winning with the helpful signings in the last window. Maybe he was being blamed for previously bad transfer strategy

post #44 of 269 (permalink) Old February 23rd, 2019, 13:47
Star Player

Teams: AC Milan
I'm glad fans don't run the club (me included).
post #45 of 269 (permalink) Old February 23rd, 2019, 15:00
World Class Player

Teams: AC MILAN
Without the fans, there is no club

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on earth" - Muhammad Ali
post #46 of 269 (permalink) Old February 23rd, 2019, 15:47
Administrators
Legend

Teams: Milan
Let's not get carried away much, credit to Gattuso of course but haven't done anything yet. L&M have a long long way to go.
post #47 of 269 (permalink) Old February 23rd, 2019, 18:11
Xtratime Legend

Gattuso is a mediocre manager and we should only keep hold of him if the alternatives are worse. If we barerly manage to get 4th (mostly due to Piatek) and keep him then we should just brace ourself for some embarassment in the UCL next season. If we couldn't make it out of that shit EL group, dont expect us to go anywere in UCL.
post #48 of 269 (permalink) Old February 23rd, 2019, 18:28
Star Player

There has definitely been a mentality shift in the way we play. When Atalanta scored I was afraid our guys would put their heads down and give up...but they did the opposite.
post #49 of 269 (permalink) Old February 23rd, 2019, 18:37
Forum Manager
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johan View Post
Gattuso is a mediocre manager and we should only keep hold of him if the alternatives are worse. If we barerly manage to get 4th (mostly due to Piatek) and keep him then we should just brace ourself for some embarassment in the UCL next season. If we couldn't make it out of that shit EL group, dont expect us to go anywere in UCL.

This is doing a disservice to the rest of the team with all the emphasis placed on Piatek. If we get 4th it will certainly not be mostly due to Piatek. His goals matter and he brings a lot of quality, but others are also making big contributions to our results. Donnarumma, Bakayoko, Romagnoli have all formed a strong spine to this team. Others to perhaps a lesser degree are playing well too (Calabria has been consistently good, Musacchio formed a solid partnership with Romagnoli).

None of this is some coincidence that several players have decided to up their game. Rino deserves a portion of the credit for coaching the team in a better direction. The Milan that crashed out of the EL and had terrible results in the league in December looks a different side to this one.

If we fail to get CL it's an easy decision, he has to go. If we get 4th then it needs to take a notably better coach to consider firing Rino. If a Guardiola came knocking at Milanello you obviously don't turn him away, but that won't happen so the alternatives for Rino hold a greater risk of bringing something better.
post #50 of 269 (permalink) Old February 23rd, 2019, 18:44
Xtratime Legend

I cant agree on that. We did have two wins before Piatek came here, but before that we went several games without scoring at all. and while I hope we will keep on getting results, I dont see signs towards that being even close to certain. We go entire halfs without creating anything.

I'll give Gattuso some credit though. We no longer panic and lose our leads like we did in the first half of the season, that was embarassing to watch.
van and Yashimi Nakitu like this.
post #51 of 269 (permalink) Old February 23rd, 2019, 18:52
Legend

There are some managers like Sarri and Spaletti with tactical knowledge but no spine. You have a guy with mediocore knowledge but amazing spirit, and you are re-building a squad, so I would say continue with Gattuso, support him well with assistants and players with confidence and similar spirit, and he will do you good.
van likes this.
post #52 of 269 (permalink) Old February 23rd, 2019, 18:53
van
Community Manager
Legend

It's not black or white. I don't think Gattuso is a mediocre coach. He's done a decent job for us results-wise, and his decisions make sense more often than not. I've been saying it since last season. It also clear the team has improved, the stronge spine, and above all the confidence. And players seem to love him.

But it's also 99% about Piatek. He's won us points from not even half chances but 1/3 chances, and has not missed a single important one. And usually scoring the crucial first goal or game deciders. He really makes the absolute best of a team that has a very hrd time creating chances.

And I also think there's a chance Rino is not the guy that can take us to the next level. I'm also a big proponent of the idea of only sacking him if there is someone clearly better though, and not only if we finish 4th. The guy is a solid coach. I don't see the sense in bringing another manager who will at best be the same. But if there is a chance to get a proven manager for once, we probably should aggressively go for it. I doesn't have to be only Guardiola/Conte/Sarri either. If we finish fourth and you told me we can sign Gasperini (just for an example), I don't think it would be a bad idea at all.
camelface likes this.

"It is possible to imagine a distant future in which most other species of life are extinct but the ocean will consist overwhelmingly of immortal jellyfish, a great gelatin consciousness everlasting".
Nathaniel Rich
post #53 of 269 (permalink) Old February 23rd, 2019, 19:03
Legend

I would add though that Milan has to act justly, fairly and with class, to set the example for its players and for its fans. I don't think they should fire Gattuso if a better manager was available, as the notion of a better manager is relative anyway. I don't have the same confidence that any one top manager could come in and make it a better team. They should give Gattuso a decent squad, and if and when he fails to provide the results that the players should be achieving, then and only then should they replace him.
Rodriguez likes this.
post #54 of 269 (permalink) Old February 23rd, 2019, 20:01
Administrators
Legend

It is very common, not only about Gattuso, that coaches get support from other coaches and managers ...the reason I typed this is that we occasionally seen an Ancelotti or other quote saying Gattuso is doing well, etc. but on the pitch the play hasnt been all that great, spirit improving is not enough in a CL match, that 3-1 Olympiacos loss is a good indicator imo (against a questionable European rival needing not to lose by 2 goals) and yes that is in the past but nevertheless it remains a good indicator. Also, no matter who is coaching us I still think getting 4th in this current Serie A is not such a 'wow' achievement.
post #55 of 269 (permalink) Old February 23rd, 2019, 20:19
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reza View Post
It is very common, not only about Gattuso, that coaches get support from other coaches and managers ...the reason I typed this is that we occasionally seen an Ancelotti or other quote saying Gattuso is doing well, etc. but on the pitch the play hasnt been all that great, spirit improving is not enough in a CL match, that 3-1 Olympiacos loss is a good indicator imo (against a questionable European rival needing not to lose by 2 goals) and yes that is in the past but nevertheless it remains a good indicator. Also, no matter who is coaching us I still think getting 4th in this current Serie A is not such a 'wow' achievement.
The truth is that without a maestro in midfield it is difficult to achieve anything. 4th place seems adequate for this team.
post #56 of 269 (permalink) Old February 24th, 2019, 09:06
Forum Manager
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reza View Post
Let's not get carried away much, credit to Gattuso of course but haven't done anything yet. L&M have a long long way to go.

Dont be a downer - 7 games or so undefeated isnt “havent done anything yet”, we are nearly competing for third in the table and in a Cup semi what do you want him to do?

Bill Shankly: "If you're in the penalty area and you're not sure what to do, stick it in the net and we can discuss the options afterwards."
post #57 of 269 (permalink) Old February 24th, 2019, 09:08
Forum Manager
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by camelface View Post
There are some managers like Sarri and Spaletti with tactical knowledge but no spine. You have a guy with mediocore knowledge but amazing spirit, and you are re-building a squad, so I would say continue with Gattuso, support him well with assistants and players with confidence and similar spirit, and he will do you good.

Sarri will never coach Milan that would be insane, we dont have the players for him nor the fans have the patience, plus with managers of winning credentials around I see no merit to choose him first...

post #58 of 269 (permalink) Old February 24th, 2019, 11:21
World Class Player

Teams: AC MILAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHALID View Post
Dont be a downer - 7 games or so undefeated isnt “havent done anything yet”, we are nearly competing for third in the table and in a Cup semi what do you want him to do?

If he fails to get us fourth. That’s the deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on earth" - Muhammad Ali
post #59 of 269 (permalink) Old February 24th, 2019, 14:28
Star Player

Teams: Ac Milan
Like many here have already said I also agree with only letting him go if we have a better coach but I also think if we have a serious project where we intend to, for example, have a strong transfer market then we should look for a different coach. Our situation reminds me of Juventus when they were relegated to Serie B as soon as the achieved promotion they fired Deschamps.

Something I really don't like about Gattuso is as a coach he is too loyal to his players making it difficult for even Leo/Maldini to sell guys if he likes them ie.Hakan. This type of blind loyalty sometimes is a hindrance to improving the team especially if we were to replace him with a legit LW player. But it also explains why the squad rally around him so it's a double edge sword.
post #60 of 269 (permalink) Old February 24th, 2019, 15:03
Star Player

Gattuso's loyalty is the direct explanation for our improved mentality. You really need that with young players. Look at the past couple of games from Hakan to show what having faith does to players.

Honestly I think he is a far better coach than many give him credit for. He's not a tactical genius but tactics are overrated. That said I think he is better at tactics than anyone gives him credit. Look at how he improved Bakayoko, the player credits the manager for his better understanding of how to play tactically.

Although I am biased because he was one of my favorite players.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in