Not Montella
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #202 of 269 (permalink) Old May 24th, 2019, 20:01
van
Community Manager
Legend

Teams: A.C. Milan
That's a bit unfair, Gattuso at least results-wise has not been that bad. And he had terrible injuries to deal with. I think most of the previous managers would have done worse actually. But that's because they suck, not because Gattuso is special.

However, the football has been so disgustingly terrible that if sending an official note that says "Thank you Rino, now you're out" is not the very first thing the management do after the season is over, I will be very worried about the future of Milan. I can't understand how anyone who's watched our games this season would like us to continue in the same direction.

"It is possible to imagine a distant future in which most other species of life are extinct but the ocean will consist overwhelmingly of immortal jellyfish, a great gelatin consciousness everlasting".
Nathaniel Rich
post #203 of 269 (permalink) Old May 24th, 2019, 23:32
World Class Player

We have been poor and have scored too few goals but at least have by far the best defensive record since we finished 2nd with Allegri in 11/12.

post #204 of 269 (permalink) Old May 25th, 2019, 09:35
Rising Star

Teams: milan & azzurri
Well, who do you guys want to replace Rino?
post #205 of 269 (permalink) Old May 25th, 2019, 10:01
Forum Manager
Legend

Teams: Milan, BIH NT, Velez Mostar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johan View Post
Inzaghi is not proven IMO. He had one real tenure and while his team punched slightly over their supposed "weight", it is not very impressive and it is very possible he will not manage the same in another enviroment.
I'd take Inzaghi. He makes Lazio play really great football. He makes average players look great. With a little better team we'd be miles behind Lazio.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G955F met Tapatalk

Himna BIH

Mojoj dragoj BIH - BHFanaticos

Ne mogu te oni mrzit koliko te mi volimo
post #206 of 269 (permalink) Old May 25th, 2019, 10:03
Forum Manager
Legend

Teams: Milan, BIH NT, Velez Mostar
Quote:
Originally Posted by van View Post
That's a bit unfair, Gattuso at least results-wise has not been that bad. And he had terrible injuries to deal with. I think most of the previous managers would have done worse actually. But that's because they suck, not because Gattuso is special.

However, the football has been so disgustingly terrible that if sending an official note that says "Thank you Rino, now you're out" is not the very first thing the management do after the season is over, I will be very worried about the future of Milan. I can't understand how anyone who's watched our games this season would like us to continue in the same direction.
Even result wise he hasn't done that well. How many more points do we have than last season? And that is with Paqueta and Piatek (who won us a lot of points).

Himna BIH

Mojoj dragoj BIH - BHFanaticos

Ne mogu te oni mrzit koliko te mi volimo
post #207 of 269 (permalink) Old May 25th, 2019, 10:09
Premier Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yashimi Nakitu View Post
Even result wise he hasn't done that well. How many more points do we have than last season? And that is with Paqueta and Piatek (who won us a lot of points).

Plus the fact that our position or possibility of reaching the CL has more to do with our rivals self-destruction than our ability.

Sent from my JKM-LX1 using Tapatalk
post #208 of 269 (permalink) Old May 25th, 2019, 15:49
van
Community Manager
Legend

Sure, results are not that good either. But still better than the predecessors in that regard. We had not even been close to CL the last day of the season for a while, maybe since that Osvaldo goal? When was that?

At any rate, I think Gattuso needs to go. When I say playing poorly I don’t mean a style preference only. We concede a lot of chances and create very little. We don’t control games either with or without the ball.

"It is possible to imagine a distant future in which most other species of life are extinct but the ocean will consist overwhelmingly of immortal jellyfish, a great gelatin consciousness everlasting".
Nathaniel Rich
post #209 of 269 (permalink) Old May 25th, 2019, 16:27
Star Player

Teams: AC Milan
Regarding style . . . I've been thinking. Could *any* other manager have gotten *this* group of players to play attractive football? Perhaps a defensive, grinta style is the one that suits the group. In which case, gattuso may pay the price for mistakes made by others.

I doubt really know one way or the other. Just posing the question.
post #210 of 269 (permalink) Old May 25th, 2019, 17:12
Premier Player

Teams: Maldini
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankf31 View Post
Regarding style . . . I've been thinking. Could *any* other manager have gotten *this* group of players to play attractive football? Perhaps a defensive, grinta style is the one that suits the group. In which case, gattuso may pay the price for mistakes made by others.

Yes. The problem is not playing attractive football. The problem is playing erratic football and treating every team like it's Pep's Barcelona. Just last match, a team that was relegated was allowed to play like they were CL finalist. Yes I'm talking about Frosinone and how they almost went ahead and Milan were playing like they were already qualified for Champions League. But this has been going on for a while and IMO reached a peak when Milan allowed a 10 men Sassuolo to dominate Milan in San Siro the last 20-25 minutes. To fall back and let to a 10 men team dictate the game in your own stadium?

As far as the erratic football. You have what I call worthless possession, just pass around till the ball gets to Donnarumma. Rarely verticalizing(aka no threat) and never using the strength of the attacking players. The team has no idea what a counterattack is. Also why not have 2 strikers upfront to relieve the pressure on Piatek and Suso, but fuck that. There's managers who play to the strength of their players and make their players better. Than there's managers that make their players worse. You all know where Gattuso belongs on that list. If Gattuso doesn't leave, I see a regression coming from most of our players.
post #211 of 269 (permalink) Old May 25th, 2019, 18:18
van
Community Manager
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankf31 View Post

I think for sure. For one thing, it's really been as low as it gets in that aspect. For another, almost all Serie A teams have played more attractive football than us, and most of them have weaker squads. We know this Milan roster is far from Brazil 82' and defensive styles do tend to work better with limited players, but we also definitely have enough skilled footballers not to play the nastiest football in Serie A.

More importantly, I strongly agree with doc. We have consistently made things difficult for ourselves. Just look at our wins this season, even the ones by more than a goal. In many of them, the opposition had at least as many clear chances as we did. We also looked incredibly uncomfortable, either defending or attacking. The attacking game plan remains pass to Suso, run to the box, even when Suso was in horrible form.The defensive game plan was 10 players in our ow third.

Donnarumma, Piatek in absurd form, and the odd alternative saviors made ALL the difference. That's why I kept talking about "luck." Surely it was a bad way to put it, but it was blatantly obvious it would not last if we did not improve. That's the way of midtable teams, who when their 2-3 good players lose form, get injured, or are sold and not adequately replaced, become relegation candidates.

What I give to Gattuso beside the defensive improvement and a few other things (not unimportant, including developing Donnarumma for example) above all is his ability to sustain those good runs of results. It's not a coincidence. He clearly injects belief in the team for some time. He's probably a great coach to take over a team during a bad year and turn their season around. Like Montella just did for Fiore.

Nathaniel Rich
post #212 of 269 (permalink) Old May 25th, 2019, 19:28
World Class Player

Regardless of our ugly style of football, if we qualify for the UCL it’s a huge result for Gattuso, one that cannot be neglected. We should not replace him with somebody like Inzaghi imo. Only if a proven coach can be brought in, Gattuso should be sacked.
post #213 of 269 (permalink) Old May 25th, 2019, 20:44
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Il club piu ...
@milan Eye on Tw
Gazidis had contact with Massimiliano Allegri in the past few days over a potential return to Milan's bench. Allegri showed willingness linked to the technical project, with investments and ideas to return to the top [@Tuttomercatoweb]

post #214 of 269 (permalink) Old May 25th, 2019, 20:47
World Class Player

Would be awesome!
post #215 of 269 (permalink) Old May 25th, 2019, 20:51
van
Community Manager
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono View Post
@milan Eye on Tw
Gazidis had contact with Massimiliano Allegri in the past few days over a potential return to Milan's bench. Allegri showed willingness linked to the technical project, with investments and ideas to return to the top [@Tuttomercatoweb]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laudrup View Post
Would be awesome!
I was waiting for that reaction

It definitely would be a huge boost. I'm not a big fan of Allegri, but his capacity is beyond doubt at this point. It's a year with many top managers available, but it would be quite a coup for us really, considering he's one of the most in-demand managers today.
Laudrup likes this.

Nathaniel Rich
post #216 of 269 (permalink) Old May 25th, 2019, 21:07
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Il club piu ...
The most experienced coach we would have since ... Allegri

post #217 of 269 (permalink) Old May 25th, 2019, 21:14
World Class Player

+ 5 years of winning experience....
post #218 of 269 (permalink) Old May 25th, 2019, 21:16
World Class Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by van View Post
I was waiting for that reaction

It definitely would be a huge boost. I'm not a big fan of Allegri, but his capacity is beyond doubt at this point. It's a year with many top managers available, but it would be quite a coup for us really, considering he's one of the most in-demand managers today.
Needless to say I have always been a fan of Allegri’s pragmatic and honest style of management. A gentleman as well.
post #219 of 269 (permalink) Old May 25th, 2019, 21:22
World Class Player

Also a man who has delivered close to perfect results with every club he’s worked at since the day he started as a coach. Attractive football? Winning football is attractive to me.
post #220 of 269 (permalink) Old May 25th, 2019, 23:45
Star Player

Teams: AC Milan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laudrup View Post
Regardless of our ugly style of football, if we qualify for the UCL it’s a huge result for Gattuso, one that cannot be neglected. We should not replace him with somebody like Inzaghi imo. Only if a proven coach can be brought in, Gattuso should be sacked.
Agreed 100%.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in