Calciomercato 2018 - Page 124 - Xtratime Community
 122Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #2461 of 2498 (permalink) Old March 30th, 2019, 00:05 Thread Starter
World Class Player
 
humanTORCH's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09 2002
Location: Near the equator!
Teams: AC MILAN
Posts: 8,409
We need to set our priorities. A winger like Everton is more important.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on earth" - Muhammad Ali
humanTORCH is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2462 of 2498 (permalink) Old March 30th, 2019, 06:41
Forum Manager
Legend
 
KHALID's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05 1999
Location: tora bora
Teams: Milan & Chelsea & Holland
Posts: 17,271
Quote:
Originally Posted by humanTORCH View Post
We need to set our priorities. A winger like Everton is more important.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Upgrading on Kessie is a priority.

Bill Shankly: "If you're in the penalty area and you're not sure what to do, stick it in the net and we can discuss the options afterwards."
KHALID is offline  
post #2463 of 2498 (permalink) Old March 30th, 2019, 13:24
Premier Player
 
Brother Doc's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06 2016
Location: Your Leonardo
Teams: Your Maldini
Posts: 1,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHALID View Post
Upgrading on Kessie is a priority.
Let's see how Baka does on Kessie's role tonight.
Brother Doc is offline  
 
post #2464 of 2498 (permalink) Old March 30th, 2019, 14:39 Thread Starter
World Class Player
 
humanTORCH's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09 2002
Location: Near the equator!
Teams: AC MILAN
Posts: 8,409
Lets see who going to open the match thread instead


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on earth" - Muhammad Ali
humanTORCH is offline  
post #2465 of 2498 (permalink) Old April 2nd, 2019, 02:55
Scudetto
Xtratime Legend
 
jani's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01 2003
Location: Kuala Lumpur
Teams: Associazione Calcio Milan
Posts: 23,196
I was surprised to find that Herrera is turning 30 this year
jani is offline  
post #2466 of 2498 (permalink) Old April 2nd, 2019, 04:30 Thread Starter
World Class Player
 
humanTORCH's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09 2002
Location: Near the equator!
Teams: AC MILAN
Posts: 8,409
Quote:
Originally Posted by jani View Post
I was surprised to find that Herrera is turning 30 this year


I am surprised that you are surprised


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on earth" - Muhammad Ali
humanTORCH is offline  
post #2467 of 2498 (permalink) Old April 3rd, 2019, 23:39
Forum Manager
Legend
 
KHALID's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05 1999
Location: tora bora
Teams: Milan & Chelsea & Holland
Posts: 17,271
Juan Mata also available for a free this summer. Why not.

Bill Shankly: "If you're in the penalty area and you're not sure what to do, stick it in the net and we can discuss the options afterwards."
KHALID is offline  
post #2468 of 2498 (permalink) Old April 5th, 2019, 17:28
van
Community Manager
Legend
 
van's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05 2001
Teams: A.C. Milan
Posts: 11,900
The more I think about, it's simply insane how poor our two most recent summer signings have been. This winter seems to provide a change, and hopefully the next summer will be a leap in that direction.

2018 - Higuain, Caldara, Laxalt, Castillejo. (close to 60M?)

2017 - Bonucci, Musacchio, Rodriguez, Conti, Biglia, Kessié, Calhanoglu, André Silva, Kalinic. (close to 200M)

The only players who have not disappointed are Reina (brought as a sub) and Bakayoko (a loan).

We have not bought a single player who makes a difference in two splashy summers of more than ten signings. Some are young and some are decent, but all are completely replaceable. Anyone who thinks Biglia is hard to replace look at how Lazio replaced him with Lucas Leiva, making millions and losing nothing in the process. Replace Musacchio with a random decent Serie A defender and we'd be the same. Castillejo's impact is not much bigger than what a talented primavera winger would have made, and he was a stupid move given we had a starter there. Kessiés contribution to Milan so far I rate the same as Muntari's. Laxalt is Rodriguez' sub, enough said. Conti and Caldara are talented but it has not worked, and Conti was bought when we already had Calabria and Abate. Silva didn't work out. Higuain and Bonucci, total busts, as was Kalinic. Hakan is not good enough to be a starter for Milan.

"It is possible to imagine a distant future in which most other species of life are extinct but the ocean will consist overwhelmingly of immortal jellyfish, a great gelatin consciousness everlasting".
Nathaniel Rich
van is online now  
post #2469 of 2498 (permalink) Old April 5th, 2019, 17:45
Administrators
Legend
 
Reza's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08 2001
Location: Canada
Teams: Milan
Posts: 10,718
^ Makes it even more crucial that a player like Piatek be maximized and 1 isolated CF dependent on crosses from too often sub par or just not good winger/FBs is not the answer. We are going after LWs and there is nothing wrong with that but L&M should build the middle of the pitch too and Paqueta is only a start, lots more to do.

Start with believing the science then debate the means forward
Reza is offline  
post #2470 of 2498 (permalink) Old April 5th, 2019, 22:06
van
Community Manager
Legend
 
van's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05 2001
Teams: A.C. Milan
Posts: 11,900
I agree. I'd love to see us buy one or two ball playing midfielders.

And honestly I'd sell anyone but Donnarumma, Romagnoli, Piatek, and Paquetá for a good enough offer, including Calabria, Suso, Kessié, Cutrone, etc.

At this point, however, the number one priority has to be to get the best possible manager and let him build a squad. No more ex players or young managers bullshit. We're using a model that worked under very different circumstances and that has been failing us horribly for almost a decade now.

Right now if you gave me a choice of playing UCL next season OR signing a proper world class manager with a massive budget but being out of Europe for one year, I'd pick the latter.

"It is possible to imagine a distant future in which most other species of life are extinct but the ocean will consist overwhelmingly of immortal jellyfish, a great gelatin consciousness everlasting".
Nathaniel Rich
van is online now  
post #2471 of 2498 (permalink) Old April 5th, 2019, 22:26
Legend
 
camelface's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06 2004
Posts: 16,715
Quote:
Originally Posted by van View Post
The more I think about, it's simply insane how poor our two most recent summer signings have been. This winter seems to provide a change, and hopefully the next summer will be a leap in that direction.

2018 - Higuain, Caldara, Laxalt, Castillejo. (close to 60M?)

2017 - Bonucci, Musacchio, Rodriguez, Conti, Biglia, Kessié, Calhanoglu, André Silva, Kalinic. (close to 200M)

The only players who have not disappointed are Reina (brought as a sub) and Bakayoko (a loan).

We have not bought a single player who makes a difference in two splashy summers of more than ten signings. Some are young and some are decent, but all are completely replaceable. Anyone who thinks Biglia is hard to replace look at how Lazio replaced him with Lucas Leiva, making millions and losing nothing in the process. Replace Musacchio with a random decent Serie A defender and we'd be the same. Castillejo's impact is not much bigger than what a talented primavera winger would have made, and he was a stupid move given we had a starter there. Kessiés contribution to Milan so far I rate the same as Muntari's. Laxalt is Rodriguez' sub, enough said. Conti and Caldara are talented but it has not worked, and Conti was bought when we already had Calabria and Abate. Silva didn't work out. Higuain and Bonucci, total busts, as was Kalinic. Hakan is not good enough to be a starter for Milan.
Is Caldara still injured?
camelface is offline  
post #2472 of 2498 (permalink) Old April 5th, 2019, 22:37
van
Community Manager
Legend
 
van's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05 2001
Teams: A.C. Milan
Posts: 11,900
He's been available for about a month or so, I think.

"It is possible to imagine a distant future in which most other species of life are extinct but the ocean will consist overwhelmingly of immortal jellyfish, a great gelatin consciousness everlasting".
Nathaniel Rich
van is online now  
post #2473 of 2498 (permalink) Old April 6th, 2019, 14:57
Forum Manager
Legend
 
Join Date: 10 2001
Location: Nakatomi Plaza, 30th floor
Teams: A.C. Milan
Posts: 15,287
Quote:
Originally Posted by van View Post
The more I think about, it's simply insane how poor our two most recent summer signings have been. This winter seems to provide a change, and hopefully the next summer will be a leap in that direction.

2018 - Higuain, Caldara, Laxalt, Castillejo. (close to 60M?)

2017 - Bonucci, Musacchio, Rodriguez, Conti, Biglia, Kessié, Calhanoglu, André Silva, Kalinic. (close to 200M)

The only players who have not disappointed are Reina (brought as a sub) and Bakayoko (a loan).

We have not bought a single player who makes a difference in two splashy summers of more than ten signings. Some are young and some are decent, but all are completely replaceable. Anyone who thinks Biglia is hard to replace look at how Lazio replaced him with Lucas Leiva, making millions and losing nothing in the process. Replace Musacchio with a random decent Serie A defender and we'd be the same. Castillejo's impact is not much bigger than what a talented primavera winger would have made, and he was a stupid move given we had a starter there. Kessiés contribution to Milan so far I rate the same as Muntari's. Laxalt is Rodriguez' sub, enough said. Conti and Caldara are talented but it has not worked, and Conti was bought when we already had Calabria and Abate. Silva didn't work out. Higuain and Bonucci, total busts, as was Kalinic. Hakan is not good enough to be a starter for Milan.

IMO a lot of the money was "sunk costs" which were inevitable considering the situation. We needed a big clear out, and were happy to see the back of Kucka, Poli, Niang, Vangioni, Sosa, etc. It was a huge list of players that we had to get rid of. That meant we had an immediate need to fill a lot of gaps in the squad, in a market in which you're negotiating with clubs that know you have money, so we were always going to overpay. Kessie is clearly a better player than Kucka, but it is a bit disproportionate when you look at both of their market value. But part of that is paying for the calculated risk that these younger players will either develop well or will hold a good re-sale value in future.

In terms of how replaceable they are, it does depend on what the market will accept. Personally I would rather we keep most of our squad and look to continue to make smart signings that offer the quality we've seen from Piatek and Paqueta. I'd prefer to see guys like Hakan and Kessie stay as "squad players" with the possibility that under a better coach they could still develop, rather than selling them at a loss and reinvesting that money into someone else. If that "someone else" is another Paqueta for example, great. But who is going to fill the gap of back-up?
Rodriguez is offline  
post #2474 of 2498 (permalink) Old April 6th, 2019, 16:00
Administrators
Legend
 
Reza's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08 2001
Location: Canada
Teams: Milan
Posts: 10,718
If we had paid 40 million or something for each yes but we paid 28 and 25 for Kessie and Calhanoglu. I doubt their value has really fallen any major amount, mainly cause they are 22 and 25. Making them squad players requires spending more than the 53 we spent on them, can we? If yes then sure.

Start with believing the science then debate the means forward
Reza is offline  
post #2475 of 2498 (permalink) Old April 6th, 2019, 16:35
Forum Manager
Legend
 
Join Date: 10 2001
Location: Nakatomi Plaza, 30th floor
Teams: A.C. Milan
Posts: 15,287
Depends on the buyer. The top CL big-spending clubs are probably not going to look at players like Kessie and Hakan. Our best best would be an EPL club like an Everton that has money to spend and would be more attracted by such players. But not many clubs fall in to that category. Clubs of a lower level like a Sevilla, Porto, Napoli, etc, would be more attracted to such players but would not be likely to pay what we paid, IMO.
Rodriguez is offline  
post #2476 of 2498 (permalink) Old April 6th, 2019, 22:06
van
Community Manager
Legend
 
van's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05 2001
Teams: A.C. Milan
Posts: 11,900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodriguez View Post
IMO a lot of the money was "sunk costs" which were inevitable considering the situation. We needed a big clear out, and were happy to see the back of Kucka, Poli, Niang, Vangioni, Sosa, etc. It was a huge list of players that we had to get rid of. That meant we had an immediate need to fill a lot of gaps in the squad, in a market in which you're negotiating with clubs that know you have money, so we were always going to overpay. Kessie is clearly a better player than Kucka, but it is a bit disproportionate when you look at both of their market value. But part of that is paying for the calculated risk that these younger players will either develop well or will hold a good re-sale value in future.

In terms of how replaceable they are, it does depend on what the market will accept. Personally I would rather we keep most of our squad and look to continue to make smart signings that offer the quality we've seen from Piatek and Paqueta. I'd prefer to see guys like Hakan and Kessie stay as "squad players" with the possibility that under a better coach they could still develop, rather than selling them at a loss and reinvesting that money into someone else. If that "someone else" is another Paqueta for example, great. But who is going to fill the gap of back-up?
I think honestly you can get 10M Euro players or primavera kids or even loanees who will have the same impact as Calhanoglu or Kessié have for us.

Other than that, I do agree that these guys could be decent squad players in a functioning team, with the right coach. I could certainly imagine Kessié being pretty useful for many teams.

But if we can sell two of these and buy a proper staring material players for each two we sell, I'd go for that in a second. For a team like us (i.e. not competing at the highest level twice a week) I truly don't think there's too big a difference between having Callejón and Laxalt vs. Borini and Antonelli as subs. Or how having Kessié and Calhanoglu is better than having Kucka + a proper game changing left winger.

I don't think "calculated risk" applies. They risked the club's financial and FFP situation in basically 7-8 signings like that. It's more like they had no clue at all and signed a whole team of players who don't make a difference and managers who don't make a difference and somehow expected them to make a difference -- and we all fell for it, except for one or two posters here (not me).

"It is possible to imagine a distant future in which most other species of life are extinct but the ocean will consist overwhelmingly of immortal jellyfish, a great gelatin consciousness everlasting".
Nathaniel Rich
van is online now  
post #2477 of 2498 (permalink) Old April 6th, 2019, 22:11
Star Player
 
MrChauvi's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01 2009
Location: Toronto
Teams: Ac Milan
Posts: 3,089
Quote:
Originally Posted by van View Post
I think honestly you can get 10M Euro players or primavera kids or even loanees who will have the same impact as Calhanoglu or Kessié have for us.
We literally signed Bonaventura for about 7million so yes we can get players of that level for cheap.

We've had some weak transfers no denying that but I trust Leo to do a good job and get us back on track.
MrChauvi is offline  
post #2478 of 2498 (permalink) Old April 7th, 2019, 04:13 Thread Starter
World Class Player
 
humanTORCH's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09 2002
Location: Near the equator!
Teams: AC MILAN
Posts: 8,409
We should get players that worth wearing jersey of 7 time CL winner.
It does not bother me if the price is 50 or 100m. It the management expertise to sort that out with FFP. So as long as we can really change our midfield and wingers jokers. Apart from Bakayoko, all of them has are worth for sale or bench players.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on earth" - Muhammad Ali
humanTORCH is offline  
post #2479 of 2498 (permalink) Old April 7th, 2019, 10:19
aim
Premier Player
 
aim's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09 2002
Teams: only Milan
Posts: 2,202
Quote:
Originally Posted by van View Post
The more I think about, it's simply insane how poor our two most recent summer signings have been. This winter seems to provide a change, and hopefully the next summer will be a leap in that direction.

2018 - Higuain, Caldara, Laxalt, Castillejo. (close to 60M?)

2017 - Bonucci, Musacchio, Rodriguez, Conti, Biglia, Kessié, Calhanoglu, André Silva, Kalinic. (close to 200M)

The only players who have not disappointed are Reina (brought as a sub) and Bakayoko (a loan).

We have not bought a single player who makes a difference in two splashy summers of more than ten signings. Some are young and some are decent, but all are completely replaceable. Anyone who thinks Biglia is hard to replace look at how Lazio replaced him with Lucas Leiva, making millions and losing nothing in the process. Replace Musacchio with a random decent Serie A defender and we'd be the same. Castillejo's impact is not much bigger than what a talented primavera winger would have made, and he was a stupid move given we had a starter there. Kessiés contribution to Milan so far I rate the same as Muntari's. Laxalt is Rodriguez' sub, enough said. Conti and Caldara are talented but it has not worked, and Conti was bought when we already had Calabria and Abate. Silva didn't work out. Higuain and Bonucci, total busts, as was Kalinic. Hakan is not good enough to be a starter for Milan.

I always suspect that Mirabelli took tons of kick-backs by squandering 200M to sign all these medico players. The scumbag swindler Li and intertard FM have dug the biggest sh!t hole for Milan that is too difficult for LM & the new Management to correct it in one or two transfer window.
aim is offline  
post #2480 of 2498 (permalink) Old April 7th, 2019, 10:29
aim
Premier Player
 
aim's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09 2002
Teams: only Milan
Posts: 2,202
@van , totally agree that our top priority should be to get a decent Serie A quality coach before we can talk about signing any player!

No more experiment with ex-players! Just look at what Miha has done to Bologna after replacing Inzaghi.
aim is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Xtratime Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive. Try to avoid choosing short (like '1'), simple (like 'abcd') and easy to guess passwords (like a name of your favorite team, player, etc)! Complex and long enough passwords, that consists of random string of alphabet and numerical characters, are almost impossible to be stolen and misused.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome