AFC Wimbledon - A new dawn - Xtratime Community
Go Back   Xtratime Community > European Football > British & Irish Football > The Football League
Register Blogs FAQ Prediction League Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old July 4th, 2002, 02:00   #1
Jonny
Star Player
International

Teams: Rangers | DIF | HSV | Hellas Verona
AFC Wimbledon - A new dawn

AFC Wimbledon will have a full squad by this time next week and play Sutton United on the 10th July in their first ever match.

They will play in the Combined Counties League and will play at Kingstonians ground for the time being.

This has been formed by Wimbledon fans opposing and rebelling against the team from Milton Keynes and it has nothing to do with that team.

Wimbledon FC, the First Division side will move to Milton Keynes next season but their fanbase is ready to rebel and go along and cheer on AFC Wimbledon even though they are non-league, this will probably result in a name change for Wimbledon FC to something relating to MK.

I've decided to follow AFC Wimbledon and adopt them as one of my fave teams, it's gonna be an adventure...
A young Rangers debutant was preparing himself in the dressing room.

Bobby Shearer asked "How are you feeling son?"

"Well to be honest, I'm feeling a bit nervous Mr. Shearer," he replied.

Bobby's retort was simple, "Son, when you pull that blue jersey over your head, it's the other team that feels nervous!"

Bobby Shearer, Rangers player, Rangers fan & gentleman. R.I.P
Jonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 4th, 2002, 13:32   #2
Jonny
Star Player
International

Player trials a huge success

The newly formed AFC Wimbledon, who will be playing in the Combined Counties League next season, held open player trials last Saturday. With only days remaining before the first pre-season friendly against Sutton United on July 10th, manager Terry Eames is in a hurry to build his 18 man playing squad.

Ex-Dons players Jeff Bryant and Lee Harwood assisted Terry with selecting from the 230 hopefuls who registered on the day. Every player was given the opportunity to demonstrate their potential in fitness, skills and match sessions. For the lucky 60 who were chosen, it will be back to Wimbledon Common on Tuesday evening for Terry and his coaching staff to take a closer look.

Obviously delighted with the talent at his disposal, Terry commented "The standard I have seen today has been exceptional...when I pick the final squad I'll be looking for players with character who will be able to play in front of a big crowd. The response from the players, who all did very well, was superb and the organisational backing given by the fans was fantastic. It was a great day, and I thank everyone involved for their support."

Many high quality players attended, including an ex-professional from Chelsea, another with recent experience of the Finnish first division, several with Premier League academy backgrounds, a graduate of the FA School of excellence and numerous with Nationwide, Conference and Ryman League experience.
Co-founder of AFC Wimbledon, Ivor Heller, was hugely impressed, saying, "A massive thank-you to all of the players for coming down, to Terry and his coaches, to the Dons Trust volunteers who have organised the day and to everyone else who has given support. It's been phenomenal and is another significant step towards realising our dream."

Another high spot was the appearance of ex-Wimbledon manager Terry Burton. He showed his heart was still with the club he served so magnificently when he said, "Today is very exciting ...football clubs in the past were usually formed through one man's enthusiasm and passion, but this is different, here a group of supporters have worked very hard to create this club... I have known some of the people here for fourteen years and it's great to see a smile back on their faces, a part of my heart will always belong to Wimbledon and today I am here as a fan of AFC Wimbledon."

These are sentiments shared by all at AFC Wimbledon and the Dons Trust who are a part of this adventure to return their club to the community from which it originated.

Bobby's retort was simple, "Son, when you pull that blue jersey over your head, it's the other team that feels nervous!"

Old July 4th, 2002, 13:44   #3
Balis-of-Steel
Third Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
Legend

Teams: West Brom and Arsenal. Dallas Cowboys.
Well done to the Dons fans for this.

I'll be looking out for their results from now.
It probably wont be too difficult as there will be a good deal of press coverage I would imagine.
Balis-of-Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2002, 13:51   #4
Jonny
Star Player
International

www.afcwimbledon.com

Check that out, it should update results week in week out.

Does anyone know how much lower the CC League is from the Conference?

Old July 4th, 2002, 15:06   #5
Castalia
Rookie

Teams: Club Deportivo Castellon, I Viola
probly at least 3, because i know the Ryman, Unibond and maybe Isthiman leagues are in front of it, i think
The following rappers are better than your favourite artists: Common, Talib Kweli, Mos Def, Yukmouth, Rakim, Nas, Big L, 2Pac, Notorious BiG, Redman, Bob Marley, BTNH, Wu Tang Clan, Canibus
Castalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2002, 15:13   #6
Jonny
Star Player
International

Well I've found out, If they win the CCL and meet Ryman League requirements they leapfrog Ryman Div 2 straight into Div 1. Ryman Div 2 is mainly full of reserve sides I think. Then the Ryman League feeds straight into the Conference and we all know where that goes.

AFC Wimbledon, Just 3 seasons away from league football Optimistic I know

Old July 10th, 2002, 19:11   #7
Jonny
Star Player
International

SI to sponsor AFCW

Sports Interactive, developer of the hugely popular Championship Manager football management games, has announced a six-figure, three-year shirt sponsorship deal with AFC Wimbledon – which will see the SI logo displayed on both the home and away kits.

AFC Wimbledon was formed just six weeks ago by fans disillusioned at the Football League’s decision to ratify Wimbledon FC’s move to Milton Keynes. The club has already been accepted into the Combined Counties League and has agreed a ground-share deal with Kingstonian.

Championship Manager holds the record for the UK’s fastest-selling PC game ever and has sold over three million copies worldwide since its original release. Championship Manager 4 is currently in development.

Miles Jacobson, MD, Sports Interactive said: "There are a lot of parallels between Sports Interactive and AFC Wimbledon, which is why we're so keen to support the team. As the developer of Championship Manager, we have an interest in all things football - but it is the sport as a whole that should support the boys here. AFC Wimbledon have shown that because of football the community will pull together at times like these - a sure sign this remains the people's game. If the players work as hard on pitch as the club have done off it's going to be a phenomenal first season. We wish them all the success for this and the next three years and are very excited to be part of it."

Ivor Heller, Commercial Director, AFC Wimbledon added: “The support this club has received since its inception has been incredible – and this sponsorship deal with Sports Interactive caps it all. Things are really coming together here now, and with matters sorted off the pitch, we’re looking forward to rewarding our supporters with a successful first year in the Combined Counties League.”

Old July 10th, 2002, 21:34   #8
ironic
Premier Player
Premier Player

Teams: West Ham United F.C
i think they should breeze thru the first couple of leagues, with the money and talent available
Selling probably our best defensive prospect since Bobby Moore is sound business practice. Of course.
ironic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2002, 23:42   #9
Jonny
Star Player
International

Come on the Dons!

Saturday 13th July 2002
Vs Dulwich Hamlet at Champion Hill 3:00pm

First win I hope, pre-season fixtures....

Wednesday 17th July 2002
Vs Bromley at Hayes Lane 7:45pm

Saturday 20th July 2002
Vs Borehamwood at Meadow Park 3:00pm

Tuesday 30th July 2002
Vs Kingstonian (AFC Wimbledon are the away team) at Kingsmeadow 7:45pm

Saturday 3rd August 2002
Vs Leatherhead at Fetcham Grove 3:00pm (click for map)

Monday 12th August 2002
Vs Enfield Town at Cheshunt FC 7:45pm

www.afcwimbledon.com

Old July 13th, 2002, 22:43   #10
Jonny
Star Player
International

Dulwich Hamlet 1 - 0 AFCW

AFC Wimbledon improved on it's mid-week debut by only going down by 1 goal against Dulwich Hamlet this afternoon in their second ever friendly.

The attendence was an impressive 1,400. Reports that the Dulwich scorer (Wayne Cort) is Carl's brother, are yet to be confirmed.

Rivals.net

Old July 17th, 2002, 11:45   #11
Jonny
Star Player
International

The Best Sponsor in England ;-)

Old July 18th, 2002, 20:07   #12
Jonny
Star Player
International

AFCW Score a goal!

Yes, you read it right! AFC Wimbledon have scored their first goal. Mark down the name Dave Mulheam. He will be a Trivial Pursuit question in about 30 years. 'Who scored the first ever goal for current European Champions League holders AFC Wimbledon?'

It was an equalizer in the early moments of the second half away to Bromley last night. A spirited display by the boys, and the general consensus is that the squad is improving quickly.

And it has to be said, poor refereeing is not exclusive to the professional leagues. But after going back down a goal, there was only one team in it from there on in.

Come on the Wombles!

Old July 20th, 2002, 13:37   #13
Jonny
Star Player
International

And the squad is...

The squad is:

Aiden Martin
Andy Hunt
Akim Gallimore
Tony Readings
Simon Johnston
Danny Roberts
Dave Towse
Andy Sullivan
Craig Carley
Mehmet Mehmet
David Fry
Daniel Couch
Simon Bassey
Steve Reyes
Glen 'Trigger' Mulcaire
Daniel Jones
Dean Martin
Joe Sheerin (capt)

Come on

Matche report from 2day's game later

Old July 21st, 2002, 01:50   #14
Jonny
Star Player
International

Boreham Wood 4 - 2 AFCW

Glen 'Trigger' Mulcaire scores one AFCW, other scorer yet to be confirmed

3 goals and on the up!

Old July 23rd, 2002, 04:28   #15
mjs
Rookie

Teams: AFC Wimbledon
hey hey

thanks for all the support (afcw fan here...).

we're not too worried by the friendly results thus far - all the matches have been against teams from the ryman premier or ryman div one south (the two leagues directly above us) - and weve only just finished the 'trials' games iyswim.

you were right about the structure btw, it goes combined counties --> ryman div 1 south --> ryman prem --> conference --> nationwide --> premiership (getting carried away now... :-) )

hope all your teams have successful seasons and you never have to set foot in selhurts park.

cheers :-)
----
mjs
mjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2002, 10:38   #16
sirbones
Rookie

Teams: afc wimbledon
afc wimbledon

i have just joined and book marked this site and am proud to say that i have been to see the real dons play and it's the first time in years that i have totally enjoyed my day out at a game, the crowd the atmosphere, the good luck messages from other supporters, i cant actually wait for the coming season it's just like being back at plough lane 25 years ago at the ripe old age of seven.
good luck to you all and your teams for the coming season and i hope you enjoy it as much as we will.

click this link for all stories wimbledon

http://www.newsnow.co.uk/cgi/NewsNo...16143249%3A3268

sorry i posted this twice but i am a bit new to this game
(no joke intended)
sirbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2002, 14:39   #17
Jonny
Star Player
International

Welcome my friend, you see my post on Rivals then?

Please stay around for the new season, it's good to hear from a 'real' fan

CB

Old July 23rd, 2002, 14:41   #18
Jonny
Star Player
International

Re: hey hey

Quote:
Originally posted by mjs
thanks for all the support (afcw fan here...).

we're not too worried by the friendly results thus far - all the matches have been against teams from the ryman premier or ryman div one south (the two leagues directly above us) - and weve only just finished the 'trials' games iyswim.

you were right about the structure btw, it goes combined counties --> ryman div 1 south --> ryman prem --> conference --> nationwide --> premiership (getting carried away now... :-) )

hope all your teams have successful seasons and you never have to set foot in selhurts park.

cheers :-)
Welcome friend, stick around :-)

Even if Rangers were ever to play Palace, I wouldn't pay them to get into the stadium

Old July 24th, 2002, 10:51   #19
sirbones
Rookie

Teams: afc wimbledon
many thanks

hello chelseabear
i will be sticking around this is now my home page,
all the best
sirbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2002, 15:59   #20
Jonny
Star Player
International

Nice one, I'd like to get down to King's Meadow one week this season, it just depends how the fixtures are in connection with Rangers fixture list

And also if I can get someone to come with me!