Euro 2012 Selection - Page 3 - Xtratime Community
Go Back   Xtratime Community > European Football > Italian Football > Italian National Team
Register Blogs FAQ Prediction League Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 14th, 2012, 02:42   #41
dropcalcio
Rising Star
 
dropcalcio's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02 2011
Posts: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deano
With Rossi now confirmed as out, my choice of strikers would be Balotelli, Cassano, Giovinco, Borini and Osvaldo.
Compromise?

If Quagriella tears it up in the last two months, or at least, shows good play; him instead of Borini?

I know Borini is on a tear, and is possibly a better player, possibly. Quags has heart though. And not just a little. You know that guy wears his heart on his cleats. And in some all important clutch moments, I feel like he'll give us what we need. ie. Slovakia WC '10.
dropcalcio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 

Old April 14th, 2012, 03:51   #42
Pfhor
Premier Player
 
Pfhor's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10 2003
Teams: Real Madrid, Italia
Posts: 1,437
Di Natale has 26 goals and 8 assists in 37 games this season and if you watch how Udinese play recently (no fluidity), it is a miracle he is still scoring like he is. Italy used him next to useless forwards (Gilardino and Iaquinta) in the World Cup which pushed him out wide and was ineffective. But put him up top with someone who can create and he'll probably do better. He may not be our savior but he is purely the best finisher Italy's got now.

To those who say he hasn't done crap with Italy is the stupidest excuse to exclude him. One must be picked due to form not from past experiences with national team. ie Totti led the team in the world cup but he does not deserve a place now. Maybe Argentina should not pick Messi then?
Pfhor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2012, 05:38   #43
dropcalcio
Rising Star
 
dropcalcio's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02 2011
Posts: 285
DI NATALE HAAAAAD HIIISS CHAAAAAAAAAAAAAANCE.

ahem.

Sorry.

Listen. He had his chance. He had Euro 2008, and World Cup 2010. He failed to impress at BOTH tournaments. If it was just the one, I'd re-think it. But let's face it. It's been TWO tournaments. He's 34-years-old. And finally, this theory can be applied to any position, but it works best when applied to strikers. A striker's performance in league play does not, I repeat, does not, and never will, definitely mean he will succeed on the national team. And vice versa. ie. Luca Toni finishing 2006 serie a season, and being a shadow at World Cup, playing mind you, on the all-star team he had at his disposal.

Di Natale has had his chance.

Prandelli would be a fool to bring him. End of story.
dropcalcio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2012, 06:27   #44
zinzero
Rising Star
 
Join Date: 09 2011
Posts: 384
It's not that hard really.
Prima punta - Di Natale, Balotelli, Matri/Pazzini, Borini/Osvaldo
Seconda punta - Giovinco, Cassano, Balotelli, Borini/Quags

We just don't have that many choices now. If Rossi and/or Cassano were match-fit, I'd have left Di Natale home but we have no choice now. I do want to see Di Natale played as prima punta to score goals. Balotelli is sure-in as well given the lack of choices... I still think he can learn, he did play fine internationally U-21.
Prandelli will probably bring both Matri & Pazzini but one of those is enough surely.
Quags would be a sure take above Borini were it not for Conte. Right now, he's a toss-up. Giovinco is clearly our best SS, given Cassano has only played a few minutes.
zinzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2012, 09:40   #45
Giallorosso_01
International
 
Giallorosso_01's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05 2003
Location: Sydney, NSW, Australia
Teams: AS Roma
Posts: 6,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfhor
Di Natale has 26 goals and 8 assists in 37 games this season and if you watch how Udinese play recently (no fluidity), it is a miracle he is still scoring like he is. Italy used him next to useless forwards (Gilardino and Iaquinta) in the World Cup which pushed him out wide and was ineffective. But put him up top with someone who can create and he'll probably do better. He may not be our savior but he is purely the best finisher Italy's got now.

To those who say he hasn't done crap with Italy is the stupidest excuse to exclude him. One must be picked due to form not from past experiences with national team. ie Totti led the team in the world cup but he does not deserve a place now. Maybe Argentina should not pick Messi then?
When it comes to the crunch he will flop. He is a big fish in a small pond. Never was or will be an international player.
Giallorosso_01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2012, 09:58   #46
Mr.Pasquale
International
 
Join Date: 10 2010
Teams: AS Roma
Posts: 6,503
di natale has udinese system built around him and his strengths.In Italian NT he will need to fit in,then build a team around him.

Again, Daniel Osvaldo is the guy to go for.And I am not saying this because of bias!
He is fantastic player, underrated alot on this boards.Since start of year, there has been many posters biased against him. And unfortunately there still is some. Despite that he won over all roma fans.
Mr.Pasquale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2012, 10:12   #47
Nero
Forum Manager
Legend
 
Nero's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09 2000
Teams: F.C. Juventus of Turin
Posts: 12,437
Yes, i totally agree with not bringing Di Natale, just like Miccoli he's one of those players that will do well in a midtable team, but is nowhere near international quality.
"what you think
please discuss biiiiiiiiiiiiiaaaaatch"

-AbuGadanzieri
Nero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2012, 11:31   #48
Catenaccio
Star Player
 
Catenaccio's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08 2000
Location: Hong Kong
Teams: Juventus, all Serie A clubs.
Posts: 3,941
I understand the reservations on Di Natale, but lets be serious......he is the only striker in Italy who has scored consistently for the last 3 seasons. Given, that Italy has a lack of choice of world class strikers, its a no brainer really.

Balotelli is a shoe in (or should be despite the fact that he is mentally retarted).

Giovinco goes in by default given Rossi's injury and Cassano's only recent re-introduction.

Matri and Pazzini are off form and cannot be trusted. Borriello? HELL NO.

But in the end its going to be Di Natale, Cassano, Giovinco, Balotelli, Matri, Pazzini.

Quagliarella & Osvaldo have an outside chance at replacing one of Matri and Pazzini.

One thing I am thinking about is whether Prandelli should start thinking of adopting a 3 man defense. Players like Barzagil, Chiellini and even Bonucci have been very strong for Juventus and adds another option with Maggio playing in his natural position of right wing back. Not sure who would be the left wing back, but it could work.

-------------------------Buffon--------------------------

------------Barzagli---Bonucci----Chiellini-------------

Maggio----Nocerino----Pirlo----Marchisio-----Abate/Criscito?

---------------Balotelli-----Di Natale-------------------

Italy don't have good wingers. A 4-3-3 has its problems because one of the the front 3 has to track back a lot to help the midfield - that is why you need a player like Pepe but he is not exactly world class either and Italy has no better player in that kind of position.
Best Ever Juve? Season 1997/98. Peruzzi, Toricelli, Ferrara, Montero, Pessotto, Conte, Deschamps, Davids, Zidane, Del Piero, Inzaghi
Catenaccio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2012, 13:39   #49
superkorean
Rising Star
 
superkorean's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08 2011
Posts: 804
Quote:
Originally Posted by dropcalcio
DI NATALE HAAAAAD HIIISS CHAAAAAAAAAAAAAANCE.

ahem.

Sorry.

Listen. He had his chance. He had Euro 2008, and World Cup 2010. He failed to impress at BOTH tournaments. If it was just the one, I'd re-think it. But let's face it. It's been TWO tournaments. He's 34-years-old. And finally, this theory can be applied to any position, but it works best when applied to strikers. A striker's performance in league play does not, I repeat, does not, and never will, definitely mean he will succeed on the national team. And vice versa. ie. Luca Toni finishing 2006 serie a season, and being a shadow at World Cup, playing mind you, on the all-star team he had at his disposal.

Di Natale has had his chance.

Prandelli would be a fool to bring him. End of story.

This is such a horrible argument. Di Natale was used by Donadoni as a left winger. This has nothing to do with using him as a striker. Put him with Cassano to feed him some breakway passes and you will see he can finish them.

As a left winger, he had trouble causing trouble to the other team because he was far from the net. But this has nothing to do with being a striker. Look in the league, and compare him as a forward to other ones, he's easily worth consideration and worth that we don't frame him out with such villager arguments.
superkorean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2012, 14:19   #50
Pfhor
Premier Player
 
Pfhor's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10 2003
Teams: Real Madrid, Italia
Posts: 1,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catenaccio

One thing I am thinking about is whether Prandelli should start thinking of adopting a 3 man defense. Players like Barzagil, Chiellini and even Bonucci have been very strong for Juventus and adds another option with Maggio playing in his natural position of right wing back. Not sure who would be the left wing back, but it could work.

-------------------------Buffon--------------------------

------------Barzagli---Bonucci----Chiellini-------------

Maggio----Nocerino----Pirlo----Marchisio-----Abate/Criscito?

---------------Balotelli-----Di Natale-------------------

Italy don't have good wingers. A 4-3-3 has its problems because one of the the front 3 has to track back a lot to help the midfield - that is why you need a player like Pepe but he is not exactly world class either and Italy has no better player in that kind of position.



Balzaretti would be the left wing back. You forgot De Rossi who should be a definite starter. It could work but doubtful he will change formation so late in the campaign.
Pfhor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2012, 15:11   #51
superkorean
Rising Star
 
superkorean's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08 2011
Posts: 804

3-4-3
cassano osvaldo di natale

criscito pirlo de rossi maggio

chiellini ranocchia barzagli

----
3-5-2 udinese/napoli style
cassano di natale

criscito marchisio pirlo de rossi maggio

chiellini ranocchia barzagli

----------
4-3-1-2 diamond

cassano osvaldo

montolivo
nocerino pirlo de rossi

criscito chiellini barzagli maggio

-----------
4-3-3
cassano osvaldo borini

nicerino pirlo de rossi

criscito chiellini barzagli maggio




Starting forwards: Cassano, Osvaldo, Borini, Di Natale
Useful back-up with these formations considered: Giovinco

Thing is, on any of these, one could switch Balotelli for Osvaldo: you gain skill but lose hardwork.
superkorean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2012, 17:38   #52
adriano_c
Star Player
 
adriano_c's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03 2009
Teams: transfer market crimes tribunal
Posts: 2,586
Big lol@bringing Osvaldo.
adriano_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2012, 17:39   #53
Pfhor
Premier Player
 
Pfhor's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10 2003
Teams: Real Madrid, Italia
Posts: 1,437
If we use wing backs, wouldn't Balzaretti be a better choice on the left? We should use our left backs like Madrid does, Balzaretti against weaker teams (like Marcelo) because he is much more of an offensive threat than Criscito but against tougher teams and/or teams with a good right winger, place Criscito (like Coentrao) who is without a doubt a much more solid defender. Maybe same on the right as Abate in my eyes is a better man marker than Maggio (Maggio though is better in the air) while it is a toss up who is more of an offensive threat (Maggio probably a tad more dangerous). What do others think?
Pfhor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2012, 17:49   #54
Pfhor
Premier Player
 
Pfhor's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10 2003
Teams: Real Madrid, Italia
Posts: 1,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by superkorean
3-5-2 udinese/napoli style
cassano di natale

criscito marchisio pirlo de rossi maggio

chiellini ranocchia barzagli

The old udinese and napoli have such great attacking styles but for it to work, you need De Rossi to play the hard working midfielder (Asamoah/Gargano) role and Pirlo to play a little more up in the orchestrator role (Inler) role and take out Marchisio and put in another attacker such as Balotelli who has the speed, flare, and presence like Cavani though he does not have the high work rate. Di Natale can play the free role (Lavezzi/Alexis) and Cassano the playmaker (Hamsik). We would have a solid defense with the Juve trio and definitely have quality wing backs. It does look intriguing. Since Prandelli won't use it, I'll try it in Fifa, lol.
Pfhor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2012, 17:51   #55
superkorean
Rising Star
 
superkorean's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08 2011
Posts: 804
This weak/strong team argument holds for Maggio vs Abate, because both are overall competent in defence (with edge to Abate). For Balzaretti, I don't have the same confidence defensively. It would be a risk IMO. Every team in these tournaments has a decent counter-attack threat which passes by the wings. So meh, don't see why we shouldn't have at least one sure fullback.

Against very strong opponents, indeed putting Abate might be good.
superkorean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2012, 17:53   #56
superkorean
Rising Star
 
superkorean's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08 2011
Posts: 804
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfhor
The old udinese and napoli have such great attacking styles but for it to work, you need De Rossi to play the hard working midfielder (Asamoah/Gargano) role and Pirlo to play a little more up in the orchestrator role (Inler) role and take out Marchisio and put in another attacker such as Balotelli who has the speed, flare, and presence like Cavani though he does not have the high work rate. Di Natale can play the free role (Lavezzi) and Cassano the playmaker (Hamsik). We would have a solid defense with the Juve trio and definitely have quality wing backs. It does look intriguing. Since Prandelli won't use it, I'll try it in Fifa, lol.
I have made the 3-4-3 and 3-5-2 separate because Italy doesn't have mobile midfielders for 3-4-3. IMO, the 3-5-2 Juve and Udinese are currently using is more feasible, with 2 counter-attacking forwards and a midfielder who makes runs (marchisio). We could have trouble scoring I guess, but if De Rossi runs up and down as well, it could work.
superkorean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2012, 17:56   #57
Pfhor
Premier Player
 
Pfhor's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10 2003
Teams: Real Madrid, Italia
Posts: 1,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by superkorean
This weak/strong team argument holds for Maggio vs Abate, because both are overall competent in defence (with edge to Abate). For Balzaretti, I don't have the same confidence defensively. It would be a risk IMO. Every team in these tournaments has a decent counter-attack threat which passes by the wings. So meh, don't see why we shouldn't have at least one sure fullback.

Against very strong opponents, indeed putting Abate might be good.
Balzaretti is a bit of a liability on the left, yes. But I wouldn't consider him a poor defender, probably average. However, he is a prominent attacking threat. After watching Crisitco against USA, if he is a starter, I have no hope for any attacks on the left flank unless Balotelli plays there and even then there should be overlapping runs at times when Balotelli cuts in.
Pfhor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2012, 18:06   #58
Pfhor
Premier Player
 
Pfhor's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10 2003
Teams: Real Madrid, Italia
Posts: 1,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by superkorean
This weak/strong team argument holds for Maggio vs Abate, because both are overall competent in defence (with edge to Abate). For Balzaretti, I don't have the same confidence defensively. It would be a risk IMO. Every team in these tournaments has a decent counter-attack threat which passes by the wings. So meh, don't see why we shouldn't have at least one sure fullback.

Against very strong opponents, indeed putting Abate might be good.
Does Abate or Maggio have a decent left foot? Abate and Maggio are better than either of Italy's left backs.
Pfhor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2012, 18:25   #59
superkorean
Rising Star
 
superkorean's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08 2011
Posts: 804
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfhor
Does Abate or Maggio have a decent left foot? Abate and Maggio are better than either of Italy's left backs.
No, and you're wrong imo. Abate is a Serie B player on a good team. He has no right foot let alone a left one. Maggio is more of a wing back than a full back. Meanwhile, despite being lacklustre, I really appreciate Criscito's solid defending and think he is a natural at left back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfhor
Balzaretti is a bit of a liability on the left, yes. But I wouldn't consider him a poor defender, probably average. However, he is a prominent attacking threat. After watching Crisitco against USA, if he is a starter, I have no hope for any attacks on the left flank unless Balotelli plays there and even then there should be overlapping runs at times when Balotelli cuts in.
Don't forget that Cassano hangs on the left. To have Maggio storm on right would thus be a smart balance.
superkorean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2012, 23:58   #60
Mr.Pasquale
International
 
Join Date: 10 2010
Teams: AS Roma
Posts: 6,503
check this goal in training by daniel osvaldo




around the 3rd minute mark, nice skills & dribbling.Can Pazzini, Borriello, Gilardino or matri do this? They are bunch of statues
Mr.Pasquale is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 13:38.


Copyright ©1999-2013, Xtratime.org. All Rights Reserved.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.12
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.