In the UK it's now a crime to offend others. - Page 2 - Xtratime Community
Go Back   Xtratime Community > Off Topic > Community > Xtratime Lounge
Register Blogs FAQ Prediction League Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 28th, 2012, 10:20   #21
MarieL
Second Place winner, March 2009 Photo Contest
Legend
 
MarieL's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11 2006
Teams: Lazio
Posts: 10,269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quetzalcoatl
If its illegal to racially abuse someone on the street why shouldn't it be on the interwebs?
Eh... he didn't insult anyone to their face for one. And even if it were illegal to racially abuse someone, it shouldn't be to the extent of throwing people in jail unless there's violence involved. That's just absurd.
"Annoy, tiny blonde one. Annoy like the wind!"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -Logan Echolls (Veronica Mars)

"Keep your words sweet, you may have to eat them."
MarieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old March 28th, 2012, 10:26   #22
R10!
Third Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
World Class Player
 
R10!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: 09 2004
Location: Dubai
Teams: FC Barcelona
Posts: 8,460
I propose MarieL be put away for encouraging hate propaganda against Somalis on bus stops. I am sure Zico can come up with enough evidence to put her away for a year or so.
02/05/2009
Estadio : Santiago Bernabéu
Real Madrid 2 - 6 FC Barcelona
Higuain 14'
Thierry Henry 17'
Carles Puyol 20'
Lionel Messi 35'
Sergio Ramos 56'
Thierry Henry 58'
Lionel Messi 75'
Gerard Piqué 82'
R10! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2012, 11:21   #23
cam
HEY, WHA' HAPPENED?
Xtratime Legend
 
cam's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10 2000
Location: Inverness
Teams: Ross County, Green Bay Packers
Posts: 23,956
It's a stupid thing to do, be racist in public. Maybe it will finally start to wise up people that the internet is a public place that anybody can come across what you've written. But it's a stupid thing to throw someone in jail for too. If you absolutely have to punish him then make him do some community service at the very most, but really he shouldn't be getting jailed.

I can see what they try to do with the law, but it's not the right way to deal with people who racial abuse folk.

Also, lol at nkm being a fucking drooling moron as per.

On a semi-related note, the fervour around Muamba can I think be related to Diana mourn-a-mania. When the beloved Queen of Hearts died, this country just went mental. It's this terrible cult-like vibe that comes around anyone famous seems to die, & now in this case, almost die. I do not understand. I mean when I heard Muamba had collapsed on the pitch I was a bit shocked, & I was concerned for a bit. And then I went back to my daily life knowing that if he was going to live or die was entirely out of my hands. Then I woke up the next day & found he was alive again, & that was nice to hear. But anyone who spoke about their apathy towards the situation would have been given a hard time of it, & I think this idiot has been dealt with more harshly because of the groupthink semi-mourning that occured.

So yeah, I blame the mass-hysteria around Princess Di dying for pretty much every stupid thing the British public does, that's when it all began. And it's creepy as hell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LimboMan2009
we need to do something about moral relativism because it's really damaging the air condition. there's alot of harassing going on out there, specially during the night, and they use moral relativism to justify it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forza Napoli
SerieB isn't SerieA.
Quote:
Originally Posted by colocolo
He looks Gaylord !!!!
cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2012, 14:25   #24
superkorean
Rising Star
 
superkorean's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08 2011
Posts: 804
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50 Lipa
He's been put into jail, thrown out of his university and publicly humiliated. He's definitely a moron but a fine would have been enough to teach him a lesson. They pretty much ruined the life of someone who's barely an adult over a post on the Internet.
So should there or should there not be punishment at all?
superkorean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2012, 15:52   #25
Tim
Xtratime Legend
 
Tim's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03 2000
Location: Texico
Posts: 33,496
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2012, 16:21   #26
cam
HEY, WHA' HAPPENED?
Xtratime Legend
 
cam's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10 2000
Location: Inverness
Teams: Ross County, Green Bay Packers
Posts: 23,956
I think my friend Tom summed it up my feelings quite well.

"But, the blokes a cunt, he shouldn't get bottled for it if he said it in the pub, but I'd just laugh if he did, he shouldn't do time for it, but he is, and it's funny."
Quote:
Originally Posted by LimboMan2009
we need to do something about moral relativism because it's really damaging the air condition. there's alot of harassing going on out there, specially during the night, and they use moral relativism to justify it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forza Napoli
SerieB isn't SerieA.
Quote:
Originally Posted by colocolo
He looks Gaylord !!!!
cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2012, 19:05   #27
red
Forum Manager
Legend
 
red's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06 1999
Location: Germany
Teams: Rep. of Ireland
Posts: 11,206
Is this whole thing a premature April Fools' ?

Preposterous if true
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nacka

It's not as if the centipede would have a functioning digestive system.

I could glue a couple of pieces of cardboard as wings onto my car, but I wouldn't call it a functioning flying car even if it would be able to "fly" 50 meters if I drove it at full speed off a cliff.
red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2012, 19:09   #28
Pila
Community Analyst
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend
 
Pila's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05 2000
Location: Noo Joisy!
Teams: Benfica; Portugal
Posts: 31,936
Imagine that - at times someone may offend our sensibilities!

May Tebow save the Queen's pussified children from the derogatory monster!!!
Freedom is the great liberator of the mind – it threatens only the comfort of the sequacious intellect.

"ai am person tu!!!!"

Fight the Power!!!

http://members.cox.net/fantasychamp/power.jpg
Pila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2012, 19:11   #29
Andy Christ
1st Tier Poster
Xtratime Legend
 
Andy Christ's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10 2003
Location: Tallinn, Estonia
Teams: Estonia
Posts: 33,847
lol British thought police in action again...they should be kicked out of the EU for this, ****ing embarassment of a quasi-totalitarian mind-control state
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remi
It's precisely because I don't think I know what is best for other people that I believe in a voluntary society. It's leftists who think so little of people that they think they can legislate correct behavior by the force of a gun. That is true sociopathy. Also I was never a marxist. And I don't piss on women, I like lesbian watersports.
Andy Christ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2012, 19:16   #30
Quetzalcoatl
International
 
Quetzalcoatl's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09 2007
Location: England
Teams: Manchester United FC, Botswana Meat Commission FC
Posts: 7,483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitan Totti
Pele is hailed because he scored 1000+ goals in a league that if its shit now, imagine back then. And personal opinion, I think that he is hyped so much mostly because he is black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitan Totti
Pure ignorance coming out of the fella

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitan Totti
POk now you are just trolling.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitan Totti
I have offered very valuable opinions
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitan Totti
Not to mention that the 2002 WC was bought by Brazil.
Quetzalcoatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2012, 19:20   #31
Andy Christ
1st Tier Poster
Xtratime Legend
 
Andy Christ's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10 2003
Location: Tallinn, Estonia
Teams: Estonia
Posts: 33,847
Quote:
Originally Posted by superkorean
So should there or should there not be punishment at all?
of course thre shouldn't, it's the bloody internet...he celebrated a "death" of some black celebrity on his twitter account (prob while being drunk and possibly because he hated the club), big ****ing deal. It is absolutely sickening that there are otherwise sensible people in UK who think it is okay to puninsh people with jail sentence for this...makes me scared to think where the so-called "free" Western European society is heading.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remi
It's precisely because I don't think I know what is best for other people that I believe in a voluntary society. It's leftists who think so little of people that they think they can legislate correct behavior by the force of a gun. That is true sociopathy. Also I was never a marxist. And I don't piss on women, I like lesbian watersports.
Andy Christ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2012, 19:34   #32
Pila
Community Analyst
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend
 
Pila's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05 2000
Location: Noo Joisy!
Teams: Benfica; Portugal
Posts: 31,936
What's the opposite of "free"? That's where it's heading.
Freedom is the great liberator of the mind – it threatens only the comfort of the sequacious intellect.

"ai am person tu!!!!"

Fight the Power!!!

http://members.cox.net/fantasychamp/power.jpg
Pila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2012, 20:12   #33
superkorean
Rising Star
 
superkorean's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08 2011
Posts: 804
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Christ
of course thre shouldn't, it's the bloody internet...he celebrated a "death" of some black celebrity on his twitter account (prob while being drunk and possibly because he hated the club), big ****ing deal. It is absolutely sickening that there are otherwise sensible people in UK who think it is okay to puninsh people with jail sentence for this...makes me scared to think where the so-called "free" Western European society is heading.
you don't think there's a link between this guy's behaviour on the net and his behaviour in the world? I would be astonished if he wasn't the same **** irl. Racism is not a criminal offence?

Another issue this story could inform us about is the need for consistency with irl and internet world. Everyone is on the internet and it has become part of the real world. I don't see why one thing being prohibited by law in real shouldn't be prohibited by law when done over the internet. This side of this issue purely deals with consistency.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pila
What's the opposite of "free"? That's where it's heading.
What's the opposite of "value X?" That's where were heading.
superkorean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2012, 20:23   #34
Andy Christ
1st Tier Poster
Xtratime Legend
 
Andy Christ's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10 2003
Location: Tallinn, Estonia
Teams: Estonia
Posts: 33,847
Quote:
Originally Posted by superkorean
you don't think there's a link between this guy's behaviour on the net and his behaviour in the world? I would be astonished if he wasn't the same **** irl. Racism is not a criminal offence?

Another issue this story could inform us about is the need for consistency with irl and internet world. Everyone is on the internet and it has become part of the real world. I don't see why one thing being prohibited by law in real shouldn't be prohibited by law when done over the internet. This side of this issue purely deals with consistency.



What's the opposite of "value X?" That's where were heading.
why should it be a criminal offense?it is a belief, why should it be penalized unless we are tallking about direct attacks or abuses (which this case obviously was not)? it is not a criminal offense in countries which value free speech and right to believe in whatever the hell you want. only in Western European countries with a shameful colonial past and a massive white guilt complex is it possible to ruin someone's lives over thought crimes like this.

as for the rest of your post regarding internet=IRL it is retarded beyond belief...I guess you also believe people who illegally download a Coldplay album should be penalized the same way as if they stole a CD from the record shop?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remi
It's precisely because I don't think I know what is best for other people that I believe in a voluntary society. It's leftists who think so little of people that they think they can legislate correct behavior by the force of a gun. That is true sociopathy. Also I was never a marxist. And I don't piss on women, I like lesbian watersports.
Andy Christ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2012, 20:23   #35
Tim
Xtratime Legend
 
Tim's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03 2000
Location: Texico
Posts: 33,496
Quote:
Originally Posted by superkorean
Racism is not a criminal offence?
Expressing a racist opinion? No. At least, it shouldn't be a criminal offense.

He's got as much a right to dislike other races as we have to laugh at him for being a racist.

That's the ideological reason. There's also a practical reason. You can't "ban" opinions and ideas, you can only drive them out of sight. They are free to grow and support when they are underground. So it's better to leave them out in the open, where everyone is aware of them.
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2012, 20:27   #36
Andy Christ
1st Tier Poster
Xtratime Legend
 
Andy Christ's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10 2003
Location: Tallinn, Estonia
Teams: Estonia
Posts: 33,847
also this guy would've never been punished had he said that shit in a pub or in a private conversation or even yelled it on a crowded street...so in fact it is a case of the internet becoming more harshly policed than IRL because it is easier to gather evidence against a person.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remi
It's precisely because I don't think I know what is best for other people that I believe in a voluntary society. It's leftists who think so little of people that they think they can legislate correct behavior by the force of a gun. That is true sociopathy. Also I was never a marxist. And I don't piss on women, I like lesbian watersports.
Andy Christ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2012, 20:34   #37
superkorean
Rising Star
 
superkorean's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08 2011
Posts: 804
actually, i think he would have been arrested if he yelled it on a crowded street. The internet is a crowded street as well.

But I think your other points are very good. I agree with you.
superkorean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2012, 20:39   #38
Pila
Community Analyst
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend
 
Pila's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05 2000
Location: Noo Joisy!
Teams: Benfica; Portugal
Posts: 31,936
Quote:
Originally Posted by superkorean
What's the opposite of "value X?" That's where were heading.
You say tomato, I say crime of conscious.
Freedom is the great liberator of the mind – it threatens only the comfort of the sequacious intellect.

"ai am person tu!!!!"

Fight the Power!!!

http://members.cox.net/fantasychamp/power.jpg
Pila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2012, 20:44   #39
superkorean
Rising Star
 
superkorean's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08 2011
Posts: 804
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pila
You say tomato, I say crime of conscious.
There are too many lenses to view this story from. I would hate that we focus on one, that's all.
superkorean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2012, 21:15   #40
MarieL
Second Place winner, March 2009 Photo Contest
Legend
 
MarieL's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11 2006
Teams: Lazio
Posts: 10,269
Quote:
Originally Posted by superkorean
Another issue this story could inform us about is the need for consistency with irl and internet world. Everyone is on the internet and it has become part of the real world. I don't see why one thing being prohibited by law in real shouldn't be prohibited by law when done over the internet. This side of this issue purely deals with consistency.
What's consistent about punishing one person for something millions get away with every day? I'm sure we've all noticed by now that a large part of the internet is offensive in various ways. You can't just jail one drunken moron who tweets on his personal account. If it's people making racist facebook groups and using them to organise hate crimes then that's a reason for the police to step in. Random brainfarts? Give me a ****ing break. You can't make thoughts illegal! Only actions.
"Annoy, tiny blonde one. Annoy like the wind!"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -Logan Echolls (Veronica Mars)

"Keep your words sweet, you may have to eat them."
MarieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 15:19.


Copyright ©1999-2013, Xtratime.org. All Rights Reserved.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.12
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.