Japanese football chat - Page 6 - Xtratime Community
Go Back   Xtratime Community > Rest of the world > African, Asian and Oceanian Football > Asian Football
Register Blogs FAQ Prediction League Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old December 28th, 2010, 15:05   #101
El Lobo
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: FK Sarajevo, AS Roma and Olympique de Marseille
I got too many, I like the way the Japanese play and have a deep respect for it and the way they conduct themselves on the pitch.
Œuvres complètes de Fikret Smiljanić
El Lobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 28th, 2010, 15:06   #102
Wally
Administrators
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Feyenoord & Spuds
Yeah they're cool but there must be a Japanese Van Bommel somewhere Surely?
RIP Bob Crow

Lex Immers - Pace & power. Holland's #1 box to box player

Feyenoord forum - the place to talk about this phenomenon

Danny Green - When you beat a legend, you become a legend
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2010, 15:21   #103
El Lobo
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: FK Sarajevo, AS Roma and Olympique de Marseille
van Bommel is just a dirty prick, if he could play fair enough I'd forgive him but I'm not sure if it's me or was he a much better player while at PSV?

The Japanese have their destroyers, I'd name Hashimoto and Abe recently then Fukunishi and Toda before him or even further back Yamaguchi and Hattori but you'd be hard pressed to call any of them dirty.
Œuvres complètes de Fikret Smiljanić
El Lobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2010, 15:31   #104
Jeffrey
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Socceroos
I was talking about it recently, and I heard it from another person as well, that Japan is a nation of contrasts, of contradictions. On one hand there's an image of 'properness', words that spring to mind such as 'formal', 'respectful', etc. Then, also, there is that Japan can be so obscene, we all know the association of freaky and weird cultural stuff in Nippon.

"I agree with the photographer very much when he says that Japan appears very contradictory. On one hand I hear so much people saying that in this land, well, they're so concerned with display, manner, face; but also Japan can be so obscene and is associated on certain levels for that, too, aren't they? Japan... a few things, many people there are so concerned about how a group will perceive them. The losing face thing again. If a family is carrying a suffering hikikomori, they won't seek outside help as they don't want the shame, they don't want the neighborhood to know a hikikomori lives with them. Aside that, someone who has lost a job will either pretend to go on to his work or try and find a job without telling his or her family the truth."

Sometimes I wonder if these perceptions are true... because I've read on other forums and they do complain about the diving of some Japanese players, like Kisho Yano, of Freiburg. And Europe didn't corrupt him. Okubo has done it too. Not all the players are saints.
Postcrossing sent & received stats:

Belarus 1/0, China 1/2, Czech Republic 1/0, France 0/1, Germany 5/5, Hong Kong 1/0, Hungary 0/1, Japan 0/1, Malaysia 1/0, Netherlands 3/3, Norway 0/1, Poland 1/0, Russia 2/3, Sweden 0/1, Switzerland 0/1, Taiwan 2/0, USA 6/5, Ukraine 2/0, United Kingdom 1/1.
Jeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2010, 19:50   #105
Astute
Rising Star

Teams: Milli Takim & Team Melli
Quote:
Originally Posted by イラ
I was talking about it recently, and I heard it from another person as well, that Japan is a nation of contrasts, of contradictions. On one hand there's an image of 'properness', words that spring to mind such as 'formal', 'respectful', etc. Then, also, there is that Japan can be so obscene, we all know the association of freaky and weird cultural stuff in Nippon.

"I agree with the photographer very much when he says that Japan appears very contradictory. On one hand I hear so much people saying that in this land, well, they're so concerned with display, manner, face; but also Japan can be so obscene and is associated on certain levels for that, too, aren't they? Japan... a few things, many people there are so concerned about how a group will perceive them. The losing face thing again. If a family is carrying a suffering hikikomori, they won't seek outside help as they don't want the shame, they don't want the neighborhood to know a hikikomori lives with them. Aside that, someone who has lost a job will either pretend to go on to his work or try and find a job without telling his or her family the truth."

Sometimes I wonder if these perceptions are true... because I've read on other forums and they do complain about the diving of some Japanese players, like Kisho Yano, of Freiburg. And Europe didn't corrupt him. Okubo has done it too. Not all the players are saints.
Any Japanese here? Is it true that football is the second most popular sports in Japan?
Com'e Tu Nessuno Mai
Astute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2010, 21:10   #106
Jeffrey
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astute
Any Japanese here? Is it true that football is the second most popular sports in Japan?
No one that I've known to be regular ... and I seen a poll regarding popular sports in Japan, baseball was first, dominating in the region of the sixty-something percent, and football was second, around twenty-something percent. Then followed sumo and other obscure attractions.

Belarus 1/0, China 1/2, Czech Republic 1/0, France 0/1, Germany 5/5, Hong Kong 1/0, Hungary 0/1, Japan 0/1, Malaysia 1/0, Netherlands 3/3, Norway 0/1, Poland 1/0, Russia 2/3, Sweden 0/1, Switzerland 0/1, Taiwan 2/0, USA 6/5, Ukraine 2/0, United Kingdom 1/1.
Old December 29th, 2010, 09:55   #107
Astute
Rising Star

Teams: Milli Takim & Team Melli
Quote:
Originally Posted by イラ
No one that I've known to be regular ... and I seen a poll regarding popular sports in Japan, baseball was first, dominating in the region of the sixty-something percent, and football was second, around twenty-something percent. Then followed sumo and other obscure attractions.
Oh, no regular Japanese forummers here?
Com'e Tu Nessuno Mai
Astute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2010, 12:19   #108
Wally
Administrators
Xtratime Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Lobo
van Bommel is just a dirty prick, if he could play fair enough I'd forgive him but I'm not sure if it's me or was he a much better player while at PSV?

He stood out more at PSV. That's for sure but he did also for Bayern when he scored those important goals in the CL.
RIP Bob Crow

Old December 29th, 2010, 13:46   #109
Jeffrey
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Oh, no regular Japanese forummers here?
Nah I don't think so.

Old December 29th, 2010, 16:09   #110
Wally
Administrators
Xtratime Elite

Okazaki on his way to Vfb Stuttgart on a free. Good enough to make an impact?
RIP Bob Crow

Old January 8th, 2011, 10:12   #111
Wally
Administrators
Xtratime Elite

Gamba Osaka's Michi Yasuda to Vitesse Arnhem

How come he isn't in the Asian Cup squad btw? not that good?
RIP Bob Crow

Old January 8th, 2011, 12:29   #112
Jeffrey
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Yasuda does have quality.

Remember, there have been questionable squad decisions for the AC and the last WC - no Yuki Abe. No Kengo Nakamura. No Takashi Usami. Kagawa wasn't in the first squad for SA.

Old January 21st, 2011, 09:30   #113
Ken4rou
Rookie

Teams: Serbia, Japan
Quote:

Hi,I'm from Japan. In my point of view it varies depends on generation and region. For example,baseball is very popular for elderly people, while the younger generation rather prefer football.
Until 10 years ago baseball had always been the most talked-about sports, but now is not really.Now I'm not sure what sports is the most, but if I limit the range of football, national football is the most popular. Nearly half of the population watched Japan's game in the past few World Cups and many people are looking forward to Asian cup this time. For many people football was an unknown sports even in WC 2002 in Japan, but since then gradually it seems getting into a part of life (especially for the young) and now is usual to talk about it. I hope J-league will be popular too in the future.
Ken4rou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2011, 20:49   #114
ElCampeon
BANNED!
Rookie

What a talanted team Japan showed in last Asian Cup. A lot of them have level to play in good leagues in Europe
ElCampeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2011, 18:45   #115
catechin
Rookie

Quote:
Like Ken4rou wrote above, it depends on which age groups of Japanese population you are in. Old folks love baseball, young ones prefer football.

But they say it's not that simple recently. In Japan, football's media exposure becomes gradually less and less(though this can be said about any given sports except high-school baseball since the global economic crisis).

Some statistics suggest that kids in Japan start going back to baseball in their sports preference. So the Japan NT's success is crucial for gaining new fans for J-league(the already well addressed aging supporter problem is the another somber sign for future declining of football fan base in Japan).

Usually, Japanese media coverage of the domestic baseball league overwhelms the ones on anything about football. But times like this Asian Cup(when our national team extremely does well), or J-league's season closing months(especially when it's competitive enough to get general attention), media focuses on football.

Having said that, it is safe to say that the Japan national team is very popular among Japanese population. (I heard it's like that in Korea too, but they would say "Football is our national sport" whereas in Japan, "Baseball is our national pastime.")

Football/Soccer in Japan is catching up to baseball's popularity even among this country's older generations, but I'm pretty much skeptical of anyone who suggests that the two sports' recognitions in ordinary Japanese's mind would change their position in the next 15years.

Last edited by catechin : February 2nd, 2011 at 22:43.
catechin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2011, 23:14   #116
Jeffrey
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

During the World Cup, Japan did well, of course, and captured the attention of the nation. On television I remember seeing something, they were interviewing a few people and asking them questions about Japanese football. One thing they said was that they don't follow J-League but they were being swept up in WC fever like the rest of their countrymen. Hearing stuff like this is easy in Australia and the US etc. I guess.

But I watch J-League matches and attendances are good, fans are wonderful, the league is generally thought of as the best in Asia, standing out so far as quality, professionalism. So obviously there is interest. The league debuted in '92 and has maintained while the A-League struggles for attendances...

I've read that some feel older folks, as you say, and younger children enjoy baseball while the prime grouping for football is more in the range of 18-35. Makes me think of the Yoko Ogawa novel "The Housekeeper and The Professor," the prof was obsessed with numbers and his interest in baseball was derived via stats and the housekeeper's son loved baseball. Learned a lot from their interactions.

Old February 3rd, 2011, 04:25   #117
Zhuge Liang
World Class Player

Teams: Arsenal FC
Japan is the proof that if a country really serious with the football development and organization, they will do well.

Well done, Japan !!
Zhuge Liang
Prime Minister of Shu-Han
Zhuge Liang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2011, 18:29   #118
totow
Second Place winner, October 2012 XT Photo Contest
Forum Manager
Star Player

Teams: FC Barcelona, Indonesia NT
Japan doubtful for Copa America

Japan's football chief is visiting South America bearing the news that the Asian champions may have to pull out of the Copa America after a massive natural disaster.

Japan Football Association president Junji Ogura left for Asuncion on Sunday to hold talks with the head of the Paraguay-based South American confederation CONMEBOL and later with organisers of July's Copa America in Argentina.

Japan and Mexico are guests from other continental associations invited to the 2011 event.

"We had asked to be invited to the South American championship, first of all. Therefore, it is not for us to make a decision unilaterally," Ogura told Japanese media before departure.

"I will objectively explain the situation in Japan and ask for their judgement."

The J-League has suspended its regular season for five rounds until April 23 to save the electricity used to stage night matches.

During a six-day tour of South America, Ogura is due to meet with CONMEBOL president Nicolas Leoz on Monday and later with Argentina Football Association president Julio Grondona and other Argentine football officials.

The South American continental cup would be a world-class test for the Samurai Blue, who won a record fourth AFC Asian Cup in January, before they kick off their qualifying campaign for the 2014 World Cup in Brazil.

Ogura said that national coach Alberto Zaccheroni had left the matter in his hands.

"He (Zaccheroni) naturally wants to play against the strong teams," Ogura said. "He understands that it is not realistic to consider sending a team with the best members" because of the disruption to the domestic calendar.

"He is leaving everything to me in the end."
Oh le le, oh la la.. Ser del Barça es, el millor que hi ha!!
totow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2011, 09:28   #119
totow
Second Place winner, October 2012 XT Photo Contest
Forum Manager
Star Player

Teams: FC Barcelona, Indonesia NT
Seems like it's official, Japan won't participate in the coming Copa America.
The organizer have now invited Costa Rica to take Japan's place (I hope Costa Rica say yes, coz if not Spain would be invited next, lol)
Oh le le, oh la la.. Ser del Barça es, el millor que hi ha!!
totow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2011, 10:51   #120
Fen
Football student
Rising Star

Teams: Eurasian Eagle-owls
Could Japans current generation described as golden one? There seems to be so many quality players, Nagatomo, Kagawa, Honda, Uchida...
Xtratime is forever - in Old Trafford when ManU needs to score.
Fen is offline   Reply With Quote