NCAA Coaches Come & Go !!!!!! - Xtratime Community
Go Back   Xtratime Community > Off Topic > Xtratime archives > Closed forum archive > American Sports
Register Blogs FAQ Prediction League Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old December 9th, 2007, 12:42   #1
colocolo
Second Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Chile, USA, R Plate, CC, The "U" and Bucs
NCAA Coaches Come & Go !!!!!!

Navy promotes assistant Niumatalolo to replace Johnson as coach

December 8, 2007

ANNAPOLIS, Md. (AP) -- Navy athletic director Chet Gladchuk already had a new coach in mind when Paul Johnson left for Georgia Tech on Friday after six successful seasons.

Assistant Ken Niumatalolo was promoted to the head coaching job Saturday.

"After the Army-Navy game, I kind of tapped him on the shoulder and said, 'Hey Kenny, if anything comes about I want to talk to you," Gladchuk said.

The decision was easy, given that Gladchuk wanted a coach who would continue Johnson's potent triple-option offense.

"Fundamentally, at Navy it's going to be the triple option," Gladchuk said. "It's an offense that has been really successful for us and given us that edge, that dimension. If you look at who's out there that can run the triple option, I consider Kenny one of the masters."

Niumatalolo said it didn't concern him that Johnson might continue to get credit for the Midshipmen's vaunted rushing attack.

"I don't really care whose offense we call it. We're going to use it because it works," he said. "I've been involved with this offense for 20 years. I've called the plays for this offense before. I learned a lot from Paul about the various wrinkles and how to make adjustments."

The 42-year-old Niumatalolo, who's of Samoan descent but was born and raised in Hawaii, is believed to be the first Polynesian head coach in NCAA history.

"Hopefully, if I do well it will open doors for some other guys," he said.

Niumatalolo had two coaching stints at Navy for a total of 10 seasons, including the last six, when he was assistant head coach and offensive line coach.

Johnson enjoyed unprecedented success at Navy. The Midshipmen went 45-29 in his six seasons, including 43-19 over the last five years, and recorded six straight wins over Army for the first time in history.

"We want to continue to dominate the other academies," Niumatalolo said. "We look forward to keeping this machine going."

Niumatalolo played a major role in installing the triple-option attack, which enabled Navy to set the school's single-season scoring record this year. He will coach the Midshipmen against Utah in the Poinsettia Bowl on Dec. 20.

Navy led the nation in rushing in four of the last five years, including each of the past three seasons, a first in NCAA history. The Midshipmen are averaging a school-record 351.5 yards rushing per game this year.

A 1989 graduate of Hawaii, Niumatalolo lettered three years as a quarterback and led the Rainbow Warriors to their first postseason bowl in 1989. He was hired as a full-time assistant by his alma mater in 1992 and spent three seasons as an offensive assistant coach.

Navy players praised the decision to hire Niumatalolo.

"I think it's a great move. Personally, I'm happy because we've got a coach who really knows the option," junior quarterback Kaipo-Noa Kaheaku-Enhada said. "We got a curveball thrown at us on Friday, but we woke up (Saturday) and found out we already have a new coach."
Chairman of the BORED © !!!!!& MASTER BAITER ©

In all fairness...if Carson35 IS allowed to copy & paste here..So can I !!!!

Que la chupen., y la sigan chupando !!!!

National Champions. 83 87 89 91 and 2001

Xtratime is FULL of BULLIES, and not enough Indians.

Damos TODO por los Chilenos en el extranjero
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 9th, 2007, 12:43   #2
colocolo
Xtratime Elite

Johnson announced as Ga. Tech coach

December 7, 2007
ATLANTA (TICKER) --

Navy coach Paul Johnson is bringing his triple-option attack to the Atlantic Coast Conference.

Johnson was announced as the new football coach at Georgia Tech at press conference Friday after signing a seven-year deal worth more than $11 million.

"It seemed like a match made in heaven to me," Johnson said. "There's probably not another program we would have left the Naval Academy for."

Johnson, 50, replaces Chan Gailey, who was fired November 26 after guiding the Yellow Jackets to a 7-5 record this season.

"Paul Johnson is the best fit, the best choice for the Georgia Tech head coaching position," athletic director Dan Radakovich said. "At the end of the day, the winner was Georgia Tech."

After coaching Georgia Southern to Division I-AA titles in 1999 and 2000, Johnson was hired by Navy in 2002, inheriting a once-proud program which went 1-10 the previous season.

After struggling in their first season under Johnson, the Midshipmen have flourished in recent years thanks to their triple-option offense.

Johnson is confident that his triple-option system can thrive even against a higher level of competition.

"I think it works in the ACC," Johnson said. "We're not going to try to put a square peg in a round hole. Our system is adjustable."

Navy went 8-4 this season and boasted the nation's top-ranked rushing attack, averaging over 350 yards on the ground. The Midshipmen will play Utah on December 20 in the Poinsettia Bowl.

Johnson told the Capital newspaper that he will not coach the bowl game.

"No, I don't think that would be fair to the players or my new employee or anyone else involved on both sides," Johnson said. "I think when you do something like this, you need to cut and move on."

Johnson compiled a 45-29 record in six seasons at Navy, guiding the Midshipmen to bowl appearances in each of the past five years.

Gailey, 55, coached the Yellow Jackets to a 4-4 record in Atlantic Coast Conference play this season. However, Georgia Tech's season ended in disappointing fashion with a 31-17 loss to Georgia.

It was the Yellow Jackets' seventh straight overall loss to the rival Bulldogs, tying their longest losing streak in the series.

Hired to replace George O'Leary in 2002, Gailey enjoyed only moderate success at Georgia Tech. His best season came in 2006, when the Yellow Jackets went 9-5 and finished tied for first in the ACC Coastal Division.

In his six seasons at Georgia Tech, Gailey went 44-32, including a 28-20 mark in ACC play.

Old December 9th, 2007, 12:45   #3
colocolo
Xtratime Elite

Fulmer contract extension, raise to be settled after Outback Bowl

December 7, 2007

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. (AP)

-- Tennessee football coach Phillip Fulmer will receive a raise and one-year contract extension through 2012.

The amount of the raise most likely won't be worked out until after the Vols play in the Outback Bowl on Jan. 1, the university said.

Fulmer currently makes $2.05 million annually, with potential for bonuses for reaching or winning championship games and certain bowls. Through his career, Fulmer has received about $1 million in bonuses for remaining at Tennessee.

Tennessee athletic director Mike Hamilton said in a letter e-mailed to fans and ticket holders Thursday that Fulmer "is our coach and will be our coach for the foreseeable future."

"Phillip and his staff did an exceptional job keeping our team focused and working to improve during the latter half of the season as they won the divisional championship," Hamilton wrote.

Tennessee (9-4) will face Wisconsin (9-3) in the Outback Bowl, where the Vols lost 20-10 to Penn State last season.

Fulmer faced much criticism from fans after the Vols lost to California, Florida and Alabama in the first half of the 2007 season by a combined 77 points. The Vols won the Southeastern Conference East Division but lost to LSU in the SEC championship game.

Fulmer said before the end of the season he wants to win another national championship at Tennessee before retiring. He and his wife, Vicky, in August announced a $1 million donation to the school for scholarships and programs.

Old December 9th, 2007, 13:03   #4
colocolo
Xtratime Elite

LSU extends Miles' contract through '12

Associated Press

December 6, 2007,

BATON ROUGE, La. -- LSU head football coach Les Miles signed a contract extension Thursday to keep him at the university through 2012 and end speculation that Miles might leave for a job at the University of Michigan.

"I'm thrilled to be here. I'm thrilled to be LSU's head coach. I'm thrilled to be on the campus," Miles told the LSU Board of Supervisors before signing the deal.

"I look forward to many years as the LSU head coach," he added.

The contract extension requires approval of the full governing board, which is expected to be a formality when the board meets Friday. The board's athletic committee approved the extension Thursday with nearly all board members present.

The agreement doesn't change Miles' salary, which will already rise to at least $2.8 million annually based on LSU's Southeastern Conference championship this year. An SEC championship win requires Miles' salary to be at least the third highest in the conference.

If LSU wins the national championship, the contract provides Miles would become among the nation's top-earning college football coaches, no less than the third highest-paid. University officials estimate that would put his annual earnings between $3.2 million and $3.5 million -- but that could grow depending on contract negotiations with other coaches around the country.

LSU (11-2) faces Ohio State (11-1) in the Allstate BCS Championship Game on Jan. 7 at the Louisiana Superdome.

Just before his team played Tennessee in the SEC championship game on Dec. 1, Miles effectively stopped predictions he would bolt Baton Rouge for Michigan, announcing his intention to remain at LSU. Wolverines coach Lloyd Carr announced his retirement in November.

Miles wouldn't talk about the speculation that had dogged him for the past weeks about a return to Michigan, where he played, worked as an assistant coach and met his wife.

LSU officials praised Miles' coaching, his straightforwardness and his integrity.

"He told the people in this room he wasn't going to Michigan, and he never was. He never leveraged it," said LSU athletic director Skip Bertman.

During his three years at LSU, Miles has amassed impressive statistics that set records at the university. His overall record of 33-6 is the best three-year span in LSU history, and his 14 wins over teams ranked in the top 25 is a school record, said Bertman.

His wins in conference rivalries also set records.

"He's the only coach in LSU history to defeat Florida, Auburn and Alabama in one season," Bertman said. "But he's done it twice."

Miles also deflected concerns about the distractions the uproar over his tenure at LSU may have caused, saying he and his team were focused on the championship game.

"I can promise you we're at the task at hand," he said.

Miles' contract includes a base salary, multimedia compensation, athletic and academic incentives and additional money from the university's athletic foundation. The contract had been slated to end Dec. 31, 2010, but the extension moves that to Dec. 31, 2012, with options for further extensions, at the discretion of the LSU chancellor.

The contract extension signed Thursday added a series of financial incentive clauses to recognize players' academic achievements. If players hit certain academic benchmarks, Miles is given a pool of $150,000 to $250,000 to disburse to his coaching staff to reward them.

Also, the contract termination clause was changed. If LSU fires Miles without cause, the coach could be owed as much as $15 million, up from $10 million.

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press

Old December 9th, 2007, 17:30   #5
colocolo
Xtratime Elite

Southern Miss close to deal with Oklahoma State's Fedora

By Joe Schad
ESPN.com

Updated: December 8, 2007

Southern Mississippi was close to finalizing a contract to secure Oklahoma State offensive coordinator Larry Fedora as head coach, a source close to the situation said.

That source said it was "close" to official and that an announcement could be made as early as Saturday. Southern Miss is seeking to replace Jeff Bower, who resigned last month.

Fedora has had two interviews for the position. He is considered an offensive innovator and could bring the enthusiasm athletic director Richard Giannini seeks.

Auburn defensive coordinator Will Muschamp and South Carolina defensive coordinator Tyrone Nix interviewed but have already withdrawn their names from consideration.

Joe Schad is a college football reporter for ESPN.

Old December 10th, 2007, 21:58   #6
colocolo
Xtratime Elite

One LAST year...you Old Phart !!!!!!

Bowden agrees to 1-year deal at Florida State; Fisher next coach

By BRENT KALLESTAD, Associated Press Writer
December 10, 2007

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (AP) -- Jimbo Fisher will succeed Bobby Bowden as Florida State's next football coach -- someday.

President T.K. Wetherell designated offensive coordinator Fisher as "head coach-in waiting," but skipped out of a somewhat unusual news conference Monday without answering questions about the contracts that are not yet finalized.

Bowden, major college football's winningest coach, agreed to return for a 33rd season with options to stay longer.

"Every year I'll just re-sign it and tell 'em if I want to coach another year," Bowden said. "I couldn't ask for anything better than that."

Bowden, Fisher and interim athletic director Bill Proctor all skirted questions about what Proctor described as "agreement(s) in principle" that give "stability to our program."

Bowden, 78, said he supported the plan brought to him last week by the president and Proctor, who have both known the coach since the early 1960s.

"I think it's a great plan," Bowden said. "Hey, you get 78 years of age, it's hard to say how you're going out, but we've got a plan. It kind of all started with my contract."

Bowden, whose present five-year deal with the school expires in three weeks, made just over $2 million in 2006, state records show.

"My position hasn't changed. As long as I'm healthy," he said, "(and) if I can win enough games."

It's the falloff in wins in recent years that has increased focus on Bowden's age.

"I do have an obligation to the university to win enough ball games," said Bowden, who is 14-11 the past two seasons heading into a Dec. 31 Music City Bowl game against Kentucky.

Fisher, a disciple of the Bowden coaching family who played and coached for Terry Bowden, spent much of his time praising the family patriarch and avoiding details on what exactly he agreed to.

"This gives me some peace," said Fisher, who has not been a head coach before. "I'm content to wait for it."

Terry Bowden, who has been out of coaching for a decade since being fired at Auburn, helped persuade Fisher to take the offensive coordinator's job earlier this year. The job opened when younger brother Jeff Bowden was bought out by dissatisfied boosters late in the 2006 season.

A West Virginia native, Fisher was paid roughly $420,000 as offensive coordinator this year. He is receiving a $200,000 annual raise to wear the successor title and will be paid $2.5 million if for some reason Wetherell changes his mind about Bowden's successor, said an individual familiar with the negotiations, who requested anonymity.

The individual said Bowden could earn up to $2.5 million with incentives included in the agreement being finalized by Florida State's general counsel, Betty Steffens, and attorneys for the coaches.

Bowden has 300 wins at Florida State, where he has won a pair of national championships and a dozen Atlantic Coast Conference titles.

Bowden's 373 career wins overall are two more than Penn State's Joe Paterno, who turns 81 on Dec. 21.

"If I'm the head coach here for 37 years and win 10 games a year, I still haven't caught him," Fisher said. "That kind of puts it into perspective."

But he too recognized the uncertainty that goes along with a head coaching job in an era of million dollar contracts that create a "win-now" mentality among boosters and fans.

"One of these days I'll be sitting there and you'll be trying to kick me out the door," Fisher said.

Old December 10th, 2007, 21:59   #7
HajdukSplit
Zico's Little Bitch
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Hajduk Split, Derby County
Schiano was is discussions with Michigan but he wants to stay at Rutgers, it is believed the only job he would leave Rutgers for is Penn State or a chance to go to the NFL
Ludogorets prvi put u grupnoj fazi EL a vec nakon cetiri tekme osigurao proljece u Europi a Dinamo ceka pola stoljeca
Old December 10th, 2007, 22:03   #8
colocolo
Xtratime Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by HajdukSplit
Schiano was is discussions with Michigan but he wants to stay at Rutgers, it is believed the only job he would leave Rutgers for is Penn State or a chance to go to the NFL
For now he's secured and well sheltered in Piscataway..And well liked...He's better off staying put ...That for sure !!!

Old December 11th, 2007, 21:46   #9
colocolo
Xtratime Elite

Miles denies Michigan rumors

December 11, 2007
BATON ROUGE, LOUISIANA (TICKER) --

Les Miles once again had to publicly state his loyalty to Louisiana State and deny any interest in a return to Michigan.

Miles issued a statement Tuesday admitting that he was contacted by Michigan, his alma mater, to discuss the school's coaching vacancy.

But Miles also claimed he simply was helping Michigan with its coaching search, confirming for the third time in the last two weeks that he plans to remain at LSU.

"I had a conversation with Michigan last week that covered a wide range of topics," Miles said. "I was doing nothing more than helping them with their search for a football coach, just as any loyal alumnus might do. It was nothing more than that.

"I'm not a candidate for that job and I will not be a candidate for the job. I was only assisting them in their search for a coach. I have a great job at a wonderful place, a place that my family calls home. It's time that Michigan goes on with their search for a football coach. I'll say it again, I'm going to be the coach at LSU next season."

The statement was released the same day that the Detroit Free Press reported Miles still was a candidate at Michigan, which has been searching for a coach since Lloyd Carr announced his retirement November 19.

Miles seemingly secured his future at LSU last Thursday, when he signed a contract extension to remain at the school through the 2012 season.

Miles, 54, announced his intent to stay at LSU in unofficial yet angry fashion five days earlier during an impromptu news conference prior to the Southeastern Conference championship game.

Addressing an erroneous report from ESPN earlier that day, Miles claimed that he did not attempt to interview with Michigan.

LSU (11-2) defeated Tennessee to win the SEC championship and jumped to No. 2 in the BCS standings the following day, locking up a spot opposite Ohio State (11-1) in the national title game on January 7.

Miles played for two seasons at Michigan under the late Bo Schembechler in 1974-75, then later served as an assistant coach for the Wolverines before moving on to Colorado in 1982.

Since replacing Nick Saban in 2005, Miles has a 33-6 record at LSU while guiding the Tigers to consecutive double-digit wins for the first time in school history.

Prior to his stint at LSU, Miles compiled a 28-21 record at Oklahoma State from 2001-04. He also was the tight ends coach for the Dallas Cowboys from 1998-2000.

Old December 11th, 2007, 22:15   #10
Ambis
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by colocolo
Miles denies Michigan rumors

December 11, 2007
BATON ROUGE, LOUISIANA (TICKER) --

Les Miles once again had to publicly state his loyalty to Louisiana State and deny any interest in a return to Michigan.

Miles issued a statement Tuesday admitting that he was contacted by Michigan, his alma mater, to discuss the school's coaching vacancy.

But Miles also claimed he simply was helping Michigan with its coaching search, confirming for the third time in the last two weeks that he plans to remain at LSU.

"I had a conversation with Michigan last week that covered a wide range of topics," Miles said. "I was doing nothing more than helping them with their search for a football coach, just as any loyal alumnus might do. It was nothing more than that.

"I'm not a candidate for that job and I will not be a candidate for the job. I was only assisting them in their search for a coach. I have a great job at a wonderful place, a place that my family calls home. It's time that Michigan goes on with their search for a football coach. I'll say it again, I'm going to be the coach at LSU next season."

The statement was released the same day that the Detroit Free Press reported Miles still was a candidate at Michigan, which has been searching for a coach since Lloyd Carr announced his retirement November 19.

Miles seemingly secured his future at LSU last Thursday, when he signed a contract extension to remain at the school through the 2012 season.

Miles, 54, announced his intent to stay at LSU in unofficial yet angry fashion five days earlier during an impromptu news conference prior to the Southeastern Conference championship game.

Addressing an erroneous report from ESPN earlier that day, Miles claimed that he did not attempt to interview with Michigan.

LSU (11-2) defeated Tennessee to win the SEC championship and jumped to No. 2 in the BCS standings the following day, locking up a spot opposite Ohio State (11-1) in the national title game on January 7.

Miles played for two seasons at Michigan under the late Bo Schembechler in 1974-75, then later served as an assistant coach for the Wolverines before moving on to Colorado in 1982.

Since replacing Nick Saban in 2005, Miles has a 33-6 record at LSU while guiding the Tigers to consecutive double-digit wins for the first time in school history.

Prior to his stint at LSU, Miles compiled a 28-21 record at Oklahoma State from 2001-04. He also was the tight ends coach for the Dallas Cowboys from 1998-2000.

What a ****ing CIRCUS!!! if he doesn't want the job then why keep talking to Michigan and why is his agent still taking phone calls from former Michigan players trying to work out a deal? not to mention the new contract extension he just signed is for the same amount and the Michigan buyout clause ($1.5 million) still remains exactly the same as it was in the old contract... it's clear to me that he wants to have it both ways, coach LSU in the NT game and then become the coach at Michigan after that.

Quote:
The Michigan Wolverines want Les Miles as their coach. But do not be surprised if Cincinnati Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis becomes a prime candidate if he is fired at the end of the season. The Wolverines are obviously in no rush to fill this position and Lewis could be a nice fall back. Lewis turned down coaching opportunities at California and Michigan State because he wanted a shot at being a head coach in the NFL. Now he is in trouble and he is one of those guys who wants a fall back. Do not be surprised if he resigns before the Bengals fire him and he is in line for the Michigan job in the blink of an eye.
Marvin Lewis would be a good choice if Miles doesn't come.

Last edited by Ambis : December 12th, 2007 at 01:35.
Old December 11th, 2007, 22:36   #11
colocolo
Xtratime Elite

A frikken Soap Opera if you ask me !!!!!!

Old December 12th, 2007, 11:51   #12
colocolo
Xtratime Elite

Washington State names Wulff coach

December 11, 2007
PULLMAN, WASHINGTON (TICKER) --

Washington State on Tuesday turned to one of its own to lead the football program, introducing Paul Wulff as the school's new coach.

Multiple reports surfaced on Monday that Washington State decided to hire Wulff after interviewing him this past weekend.

"We conducted an extensive national search and met with some outstanding candidates," Washington State athletic director Jim Sterk said. "In the end I feel we hired the best person for the job. Paul has had success as a head coach, has great passion for this job and this university, and is a man of great character and integrity."

A former offensive lineman with the Cougars, Wulff has spent the previous eight years serving as coach at Eastern Washington, compiling a 53-40 record over that span.

Wulff, 40, guided the Eagles to a 9-4 record this season and an appearance in the Football Championship Subdivision national quarterfinals.

Wulff replaces Bill Doba, who stepped down last month after guiding the Cougars to a 5-7 record this past season.

Wulff becomes Washington State's 31st coach and the first Cougar letterwinner and graduate to lead the program since Phil Sarboe served as coach from 1945-49.

"Obviously this has been a dream of mine since I joined the coaching profession," Wulff said. "It is my alma mater, a university with great tradition and a program I feel very strongly about. WSU is an important place in my development as a human being with respect to the university culture. Being named head coach is the biggest honor I have ever received and I am excited about the opportunity."

After a short professional career, Wulff started coaching as a volunteer assistant under Dick Zornes and has been at Eastern Washington for the past 15 years, moving from offensive line coach to offensive coordinator in 1998 before being promoted to coach in 2000.

Old December 12th, 2007, 11:54   #13
colocolo
Xtratime Elite

Petrino hired at Arkansas after resigning as Falcons coach

By NOAH TRISTER, AP Sports Writer
December 12, 2007

FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. (AP) --

Arkansas' patience was rewarded by a coach who wanted out of the NFL after less than a season.

Bobby Petrino was introduced as the Razorbacks' new coach Tuesday night, hours after he abruptly resigned from the Atlanta Falcons. The move gave Arkansas a big-name catch to replace Houston Nutt, who left the Hogs two weeks ago and was hired by Mississippi.

"I knew I wanted to come back and coach in college football," Petrino said. "I'm very excited to get back and work with the student-athlete."

In January, Petrino left as head coach at Louisville to take over in Atlanta, agreeing to a five-year, $24 million contract handed out by a team that felt he could help Michael Vick reach his full potential.

However, the star quarterback came under investigation for a grisly dogfighting operation that led him to plead guilty to federal charges.

Vick was sentenced Monday to 23 months in prison without ever taking a snap for Petrino. That night the Falcons lost to New Orleans 34-14, and hours later Petrino left the team with a 3-10 record to return to the college ranks.

Petrino got a five-year deal worth $2.85 million per year to take over the Razorbacks, according to an athletic department spokesman.

"One of the most attractive things about coming to the University of Arkansas is the fan base," Petrino said. "It basically ranges all the way from Fayetteville to Little Rock to West Memphis, and I'm excited about that -- to be the main show -- there's no question."

Arkansas fans were divided all year over Nutt's status, and after he left, the school looked for a proven coach to replace him. The Razorbacks came close to hiring Wake Forest's Jim Grobe last week, but Grobe remained with the Demon Deacons, raising questions as to whether a top candidate would come to Fayetteville.

With Petrino, Arkansas may get the last laugh. He went 41-9 in four high-scoring years at Louisville before leaving to join the Falcons.

"First of all, offensively, we want to be very aggressive," the 46-year-old Petrino told a cheering crowd when he was introduced. "What I like to do first is establish the fact that everybody expects to score every single time we take the field on offense. That is the expectation."

Arkansas was clearly eager to announce Petrino's hiring. Instead of waiting until Wednesday morning, the university held a news conference that started around 10:30 p.m. local time Tuesday night. A couple hours before that, some fans braved foggy, rainy weather to stand outside at Fayetteville's small airport, hoping to catch a glimpse of Petrino on his way in.

Jeff Long, Arkansas' incoming athletic director, handled the search for a new coach. Long takes over for Frank Broyles, who is retiring at the end of the year. Long said he wasn't deterred as the search appeared to drag on and many wondered if the Razorbacks needed to lower their standards.

"I wasn't listening or reading," Long said. "I was going to work to find the best coach."

Petrino's stint in Atlanta was one of the shortest for a non-interim coach since the 1970 NFL-AFL merger. Pete McCulley was fired after starting out 1-8 with San Francisco in 1978, and Sid Gillman lasted only 10 games in his second stint as San Diego coach, going 4-6 in 1971 before quitting.

In an interesting twist, Lou Holtz coached the New York Jets for 13 games in 1976. He went 3-10, then left the team with one game remaining to become the coach at Arkansas.

Petrino was the latest college coach to flop in the NFL. Steve Spurrier quit after two mediocre years with the Washington Redskins. Nick Saban made it through just two seasons with the Miami Dolphins before returning to the college ranks at Alabama.

There were signs of dissension in Atlanta, in particular because of the way Petrino dealt with his players.

To some he seemed aloof, feeling no reason to share personnel decisions with affected players. He could walk through the locker room without speaking to anyone and was openly criticized by two of the team's stars, Pro Bowlers Alge Crumpler and DeAngelo Hall.

A decision to cut nose tackle Grady Jackson, one of the team's most productive defensive linemen, during the bye week drew the ire of veteran players.

Atlanta owner Arthur Blank and general manager Rich McKay were scheduled to hold a news conference Wednesday. There was no immediate word on who would take over for the team's final three games.

Meanwhile, Petrino will try for a fresh start with Arkansas -- something both the coach and school appear ready for.

The Razorbacks played in the Southeastern Conference championship game in 2006, but they finished that season with three straight losses. During the offseason, fans used the Freedom of Information Act to investigate Nutt's cell phone records.

This season started with Nutt's long-term status shaky, and the mood in Arkansas worsened when the Razorbacks began SEC play 0-3. They finished strong, beating then-No. 1 LSU in their regular-season finale to go 8-4.

However, within days of one of his biggest victories at Arkansas, Nutt departed and defensive coordinator Reggie Herring was named interim coach.

Herring will coach the 25th-ranked Razorbacks when they face No. 7 Missouri in the Cotton Bowl on Jan. 1. Then Petrino is the only person in charge.

"It was one of the most difficult things I've had to do," Petrino said. "I truly believe from the bottom of my heart that I made the right decision."

AP Sports Writer Paul Newberry in Atlanta contributed to this report.

Old December 12th, 2007, 20:20   #14
colocolo
Xtratime Elite

Bills' offensive coordinator Fairchild hired to replace Lubick at Colorado State

By PAT GRAHAM, AP Sports Writer
December 12, 2007

DENVER (AP) -- Buffalo Bills offensive coordinator Steve Fairchild was hired Wednesday to replace Sonny Lubick as Colorado State coach.

Fairchild, a former Rams quarterback and assistant coach, takes over a team that finished 3-9 last season, leading to the firing of Lubick after 15 years in charge.

"We are pleased that Steve Fairchild, with his significant coaching expertise and history at Colorado State, is going to return to his roots as a champion for our football program," Colorado State president Larry Edward Penley said in a released statement. "His positive reputation precedes him."

The 49-year-old Fairchild was Colorado State's quarterbacks coach from 1993-96 before taking over as the Rams' offensive coordinator for four seasons. Colorado State won five conference titles in his eight years as an assistant coach on Lubick's staff.

He left for Buffalo in 2001 to serve as the Bills' running backs coach for two seasons.

Fairchild, who was at Buffalo's practice Wednesday, is in his second season as the Bills' offensive coordinator after tutoring under Mike Martz with the St. Louis Rams.

He won't leave the Bills until after the conclusion of the season. The Bills (7-6) are in the middle of the AFC playoff race with three games remaining in the regular season.

Colorado State officials understand his commitment to Buffalo.

"We knew from the outset and were comfortable with the dedication he has to his team," said CSU athletic director Paul Kowalczyk, who will have an introductory teleconference with Fairchild on Thursday. "It is that type of value system -- commitment, integrity, honesty, accountability and responsibility -- that had him at the top of our list since the beginning."

The Bills offense has struggled this season under Fairchild, ranking 28th in the NFL in yards per game.

The offensive production been hampered by an unstable quarterback situation. Rookie Trent Edwards recently supplanted veteran J.P. Losman for a second time this season. Fairchild has blamed the offensive's inefficiencies on the constant change at quarterback.

Lubick was asked by Kowalczyk to step down a few days before the Rams' season-ending win over Wyoming on Nov. 23. But Lubick refused because he did not want to quit on his team.

He led the Rams to nine bowl games and at least a share of conference titles in six seasons, compiling a 108-74 record along the way.

Lubick has been asked to stay on with the school as a fundraiser, but hasn't made a decision yet.

Old December 13th, 2007, 21:04   #15
colocolo
Xtratime Elite

Northern Illinois hires Kill away from Southern Illinois

December 13, 2007

DEKALB, Ill. (AP) -- Jerry Kill is the new football coach at Northern Illinois, less than a week after he had Southern Illinois in the FCS semifinals.

Northern Illinois introduced Kill on Thursday as the successor to Joe Novak, who retired last month after 12 seasons as coach of the Huskies. Kill was 56-32 in seven seasons at Southern Illinois.

Southern Illinois plays in the Football Championship Subdivision, formerly I-AA. The Salukis lost 20-17 to Delaware last Friday.

The Huskies finished 2-10 this season in the Mid-American Conference

Old December 14th, 2007, 21:23   #16
colocolo
Xtratime Elite

Sumlin agrees to 5-year deal with Cougars

By CHRIS DUNCAN, AP Sports Writer
December 14, 2007

HOUSTON (AP) -- Oklahoma assistant Kevin Sumlin was introduced as Houston's new coach Friday after agreeing to a five-year deal

Sumlin, the first black head coach in the 60-year history of the UH program, has been an Oklahoma assistant for the past five seasons under Bob Stoops. He was promoted to co-offensive coordinator in 2006 and the Sooners ranked third nationally this season at 44 points a game.

Houston put on quite a show to welcome the 43-year-old Sumlin. The band struck up the fight song, cheerleaders danced, and players past and present applauded before Sumlin stepped to a podium.

"I've always seen the University of Houston as a gold mine," said Sumlin, Houston's 11th coach. "It's the largest city in a great football-playing state. There is a wealth of talent. Any time you have a university with that many players around it, you're going to have a great chance to win."

The Houston area has produced players such as Vince Young, Thurman Thomas and Cougars Heisman Trophy winner Andre Ware.

Houston athletics director Dave Maggard declined to say how much the five-year deal was worth for Sumlin, who's taking his first head coaching position.

Sumlin will continue to work for the Sooners (11-2) through their Fiesta Bowl matchup with West Virginia (10-2). He planned to return to Norman later Friday.

Houston assistant Chris Thurmond was named the interim coach of the Cougars after Art Briles left for Baylor on Nov. 28. Thurmond will coach Houston (8-4) against TCU (7-5) in the Texas Bowl on Dec. 28.

Briles turned the Cougars into a consistent winner, but Maggard wants the program in the national spotlight. Briles went 34-28 in five seasons, with only one losing season. Before his arrival, the Cougars had only two winning seasons in the previous 12 years.

Briles also lost three bowl games, and while the high-flying offense always ranked among the national leaders, the defense typically struggled.

"I felt the need to have someone that will set high expectations with us, will meet the high expectations we have here at the University of Houston," Maggard said. "The vision here is for us to reclaim our position in the national picture.

"This guy is going to energize this program."

Sumlin's hiring raises the total of black coaches at 119 major college programs back to six. The others are Buffalo's Turner Gill, Mississippi State's Sylvester Croom, Washington's Tyrone Willingham, Kansas State's Ron Prince and Miami's Randy Shannon.

UCLA fired Karl Dorrell earlier this month.

Sumlin was an assistant at Washington State, Wyoming, Minnesota, Purdue and Texas A&M before Stoops hired him before the 2003 season. He was the special teams coordinator and tight ends coach before he was promoted to co-offensive coordinator, passing game coordinator and receivers coach in 2006.

Sumlin said Stoops has become his most influential mentor.

"If there's someone you want to model yourself after," Sumlin said, "that's a pretty good model. It's hard to argue with the way he's done things. I was looking in my office the other day -- I've been there five years and played in four Big 12 championships. Pretty good model."

Sumlin conceded he'll have no time over the next three weeks to recruit for his new team.

Maggard was reportedly also considering former Houston coach Jack Pardee for the vacancy. Pardee, 71, went 22-11-1 with the Cougars from 1987-89.

A phone conversation with Stoops helped make Sumlin the front-runner, Maggard said. "I asked, 'Bob, is he ready to be a head coach?' He said, 'Absolutely. He's done a great job for me and he's ready to do it."'

Sumlin said the more he talked to Maggard, the more he was convinced this was the right fit.

"You're never quite sure about anything," Sumlin said. "The thing that made the difference was Dave Maggard -- his vision, where he wants this program to be, is exactly the same vision I have."

Old December 16th, 2007, 02:40   #17
colocolo
Xtratime Elite

W.Va. coach remains mum on reports he's talking with Michigan

December 15, 2007

MORGANTOWN, W.Va. (AP) -- Rich Rodriguez discussed taking West Virginia to its second BCS game in three seasons and the challenge of facing Oklahoma's offense.

What the Mountaineers' coach didn't want to talk about Saturday was Michigan's vacant head coaching job.

Rodriguez said at the opening of a previously scheduled news conference on No. 11 West Virginia's trip to the Fiesta Bowl that he was only going to focus on preparations to face the third-ranked Sooners.

"It may be disappointing to you, but I am not going to talk about any rumors or innuendo or jobs or what else is floating out there," Rodriguez said.

The questions about Michigan persisted, and Rodriguez fired back.

"You all have not understood what I just said. One more question and this conference, unfortunately, and you all have been super, but if the questions persist outside of that then this thing will be over," he said.

A reporter then asked whether Rodriguez would coach the team in the Fiesta Bowl.

"You're a tricky guy," Rodriguez said.

Some players indicated Rodriguez hadn't spoken to them about Michigan and that they were under orders to keep quiet.

"I'm not supposed to talk about that. I'm sorry," offensive lineman Ryan Stanchek said Saturday.

West Virginia athletic director Ed Pastilong spoke with Rodriguez on Saturday

"We talked about general issues within the football program," Pastilong told The Charleston Gazette, declining to be more specific.

Pastilong, who didn't immediately return a telephone message to The Associated Press, told the newspaper "we'll know something very fast" in regard to Rodriguez's decision.

Rodriguez arrived back in Morgantown on Friday with his wife after taking a flight from Ohio. He said he was going to his team's first bowl practice, then got into his car.

Sporting News Radio, citing unidentified sources, reported Friday that Rodriguez and his agent were in Toledo to talk with Michigan athletic director Bill Martin and university president Mary Sue Coleman.

Pastilong had said he was unaware Rodriguez had gone to Toledo and declined to disclose whether he had given Michigan permission to talk to the coach.

Michigan's coaching search is nearly a month old. LSU's Les Miles and Rutgers' Greg Schiano have said they were staying put at their schools.

Michigan's Lloyd Carr announced his retirement Nov. 19 after 13 seasons. He'll coach the Wolverines in the Capital One Bowl on Jan. 1 against No. 9 Florida.

Rodriguez's contract, which runs through the 2013 season, has a $4 million buyout clause if he leaves before next September.

When Michigan lured basketball coach John Beilein away from West Virginia last April, Beilein's contract had a $2.5 million buyout clause. Under an agreement with West Virginia, he agreed to pay $1.5 million to the WVU Foundation.

The Michigan rumblings come a year after Rodriguez was courted by Alabama. The rumors and questions wore on the Mountaineers for several days before he turned down a lucrative offer from the Crimson Tide and agreed to a one-year contract extension at West Virginia through 2013.

Rodriguez, who has a 60-26 record at West Virginia, led the Mountaineers (10-2) to their fourth Big East title in five seasons.

Old December 17th, 2007, 22:10   #18
colocolo
Xtratime Elite

Michigan gets its man, and he's not even from Michigan

By LARRY LAGE, AP Sports Writer
December 17, 2007

ANN ARBOR, Mich. (AP) -- Rich Rodriguez walked through a flashlight-lit locker room, down a darkened tunnel and stepped onto the Michigan Stadium field for the first time.

"It's beautiful," he said with snow covering his dress shoes.

A new era began at Michigan on Monday. The winningest program in college football ended its first coaching search since hiring Bo Schembechler nearly four decades ago by luring Rodriguez and his spread offense from West Virginia.

The process probably lasted longer than the school wanted and it might not have landed its first choice. Yet, Rodriguez didn't have a problem with getting the job after LSU's Les Miles and Rutgers' Greg Schiano turned down reported opportunities to replace the retiring Lloyd Carr.

"(I) might have been my wife's third choice, too," Rodriguez joked.

He is ending a seven-season run at West Virginia, a year after turning down an offer to be Alabama's coach.

Rodriguez said it took an opportunity of Michigan's caliber for him to leave his home state and alma mater.

"It was a very difficult decision to leave a place where I grew up," said Rodriguez, who was born in Grant Town, W.Va., five miles from the birthplace of famed Michigan coach Fielding Yost and about 20 miles from the West Virginia campus. "It was going to take a very special opportunity and a very special place, and I think that's what this is."

Rodriguez doesn't expect to coach West Virginia when it plays Oklahoma in the Fiesta Bowl.

"My focus is going to be on the University of Michigan," he said. "I don't think it best serves West Virginia if I'm thinking about the Big House."

Rodriguez, who was to fly back to West Virginia on Monday, hopes school officials agree that letting him leave right away to assemble his new staff, recruit and evaluate the Wolverines with eligibility remaining is best for both parties.

Rodriguez is the first head coach to come outside the "Michigan family" as athletic director Bill Martin put it, since Schembechler was hired away from Miami of Ohio in 1969.

"Do you have to be a Michigan man to be a Michigan coach?" Rodriguez asked. "Gosh, I hope not."

Even though the Wolverines didn't bring back one of their own in Miles, who played at Michigan and coached under Schembechler, they landed a coach who is much more than a consolation prize.

The 44-year-old Rodriguez built West Virginia into a Big East power, winning the conference championship this year for the fourth time in five seasons and going 60-26 overall. He helped the Mountaineers earn six straight bowl bids and made them one of the most potent offensive teams in the country.

Rodriguez is considered one of the Godfather's of the spread offense that's become the rage of college football. The spread will be a dramatic change for Michigan, a school that's been locked into a more traditional offense and relied on drop-back passers for years.

"I think it's a great hire," said Carr, whose 13th and final season as head coach at Michigan will end Jan. 1 at the Capital One Bowl against Florida. "He's a young guy with great passion and enthusiasm.

"I think everybody that loves this place is excited."

Rodriguez's hiring marks the second time in eight months that Michigan lured a coach away from West Virginia, following basketball coach John Beilein's Morgantown-to-Ann Arbor path.

"There are intangibles in some coaches that make them win wherever they are, and he has them," said Beilein, who lived three houses away from Rodriguez in West Virginia. "Rich was born to be a football coach."

Michigan athletic director Martin and Rodriguez's agent, Mike Brown, said they still have to work on contract details before a deal is signed.

After Carr announced his retirement Nov. 19, Martin said he was prepared to roughly double what Carr made annually by giving the new coach as much as $3 million a year.

Alabama's interest in Rodriguez last year wore on the Mountaineers for several days before he agreed to a one-year contract extension through 2013. The deal included a $4 million buyout clause if he leaves before next September.

Like Beilein, Rodriguez will make enough money at Michigan to cut West Virginia a big check.

"The lawyers are working on it," Rodriguez said.

Michigan is paying Beilein $1.3 million a season, plus bonuses, as part of a six-year contract.

When Michigan lured Beilein away from West Virginia last April, his contract had a $2.5 million buyout clause. Under an agreement with West Virginia, Beilein agreed to pay $1.5 million to the WVU Foundation.

Martin and university president Mary Sue Coleman talked with Rodriguez, his wife and agent Friday in Toledo, Ohio. West Virginia athletic director Ed Pastilong met with Rodriguez on Saturday, saying they talked about general issues within the program.

Pastilong had said he was unaware Rodriguez went to Toledo and declined to disclose whether he had given Michigan permission to talk to the coach.

"We're not going to talk about the process at all," Martin said.

West Virginia's defensive backs coach and recruiting coordinator Tony Gibson is certainly pleased with the end result. He's committed to join Rodriguez in Ann Arbor and he already sounds like a local.

Gibson hummed "The Victors," as he took a tour of Michigan Stadium's locker room with Rodriguez and his wide-eyed contingent from Morgantown.

Old December 19th, 2007, 22:17   #19
colocolo
Xtratime Elite

Kansas' Mangino named AP coach of year (AP)

It began as a friendly basketball game in Mark Mangino's old neighborhood of New Castle, Pa. One of Mangino's teammates kept making mistakes. Finally, Mangino threw up his hands and let the kid have it. Those leadership skills 40 years later would steer surprising Kansas into national championship contention and help him become The Associated Press Coach of the Year.

Old December 28th, 2007, 10:01   #20
colocolo
Xtratime Elite

Wow....now its REALLY goinn to cost Michigan a LOT + for this character ....

WVU sues Rodriguez, seeks $4 million contract buyout

By PAM RAMSEY, Associated Press Writer
December 27, 2007

CHARLESTON , W.Va. (AP) -- West Virginia University's Board of Governors has sued former football coach Rich Rodriguez Thursday to collect a $4 million buyout of his contract with the school.

The lawsuit, filed in Monongalia County Circuit Court, says the university believes Rodriguez doesn't intend to abide by the contract.

The buyout clause requires Rodriguez to pay $4 million to WVU over a two-year period, with one-third of the total due 30 days after his employment's termination. His resignation was effective Dec. 19.

Rodriguez's agent, Mike Brown, declined to comment Thursday night on the lawsuit.

Rodriguez went to Michigan after seven seasons in Morgantown, where he led West Virginia to four Big East championships and a 60-26 record.

West Virginia officials decided to ask a court to enforce the contract after supporters of Rodriguez questioned its validity and the coach did not disavow those statements, said Alex Macia, vice president of legal affairs and legal counsel for the university.

"There are very clear statements and factually incorrect statements by people who purportedly speak for the coach," Macia said.

"There comes a time when you have to have a court pronounce as a matter of law what happened," he said.

Rodriguez and the university agreed to a seven-year contract on Dec. 21, 2002, and it has been extended twice since then. The latest revision was agreed to on Dec. 8, 2006, when Rodriguez was considering an offer from Alabama. The revised contract was to run through the 2013 season.

In addition to increasing Rodriguez's salary, the 2006 contract extension included a $100,000 supplemental payment to the assistant coaches' salary pool and $6.2 million in improvements to the team's athletic building, the Milan Puskar Center.

According to the lawsuit, the university fulfilled the contract's terms and Rodriguez never gave it written notice, as required by the contract, that it had not followed the agreement, the lawsuit said.

"The university performed and upheld its end of the bargain," Macia said.

University officials were not aware of and did not consent to Rodriguez's discussions with Michigan officials about the Wolverines' coaching job, the lawsuit said.

A summons issued to Rodriguez gave him 20 days to respond to the lawsuit.