Florida Marlins Official thread - Page 6 - Xtratime Community
Go Back   Xtratime Community > Off Topic > Xtratime archives > Closed forum archive > American Sports
Register Blogs FAQ Prediction League Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old May 25th, 2007, 08:59   #101
colocolo
Second Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Chile, USA, R Plate, CC, The "U" and Bucs
We beat the Phillies ...and leave with the tables in our favor !!
Chairman of the BORED © !!!!!& MASTER BAITER ©

In all fairness...if Carson35 IS allowed to copy & paste here..So can I !!!!

Que la chupen., y la sigan chupando !!!!

National Champions. 83 87 89 91 and 2001

Xtratime is FULL of BULLIES, and not enough Indians.

Damos TODO por los Chilenos en el extranjero
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 26th, 2007, 00:40   #102
colocolo
Xtratime Elite

Marlins manager Gonzalez suspended 1 game

By ANTONIO GONZALEZ, Associated Press Writer

May 25, 2007

MIAMI (AP) -- Florida Marlins manager Fredi Gonzalez served a one-game suspension Friday night for going onto the field during a bench-clearing confrontation one inning after he was ejected.

Florida's first-year manager was ejected for the first time Thursday for arguing a call. In the next inning, the Marlins and Philadelphia Phillies waged a shoving match near third base, and Gonzalez was back on the field restraining one of his players.

"It's something I shouldn't have done, but I'd rather not let the stuff escalate more than it was," Gonzalez said. "I think Major League Baseball saw that I was more of a peacekeeper and not trying to instigate stuff."

Gonzalez also was fined.

"The wife is going to be upset," he said.

Gonzalez served the suspension when the Marlins opened a weekend series against the New York Mets. Bench coach Carlos Tosca took over as interim manager.

Emotions began to escalate Thursday when the Phillies' Jon Lieber hit Aaron Boone with a pitch in the second inning. Three batters later, Lieber threw a pitch behind Willis.

Willis threw behind Lieber in the fourth inning. The next batter hit an inning-ending groundout, but as Willis walked off the mound he shouted at the Phillies and waved his glove at them.

The teams traded shoves and words, but no one was ejected.

Gonzalez said the suspension was his first as a player or manager.

Phillies manager Charlie Manuel scoffed when asked whether there is tension between his team and the Marlins.

"You know what? If there's bad blood then we shouldn't be over there kissy-facing before the game and everything like that, high-fiving," Manuel said before Friday night's game at Atlanta. "When you put this uniform on you go out there to play. You go out there to win."

Old May 26th, 2007, 09:23   #103
colocolo
Xtratime Elite

The Mets barely beat us ans us without our Manager !!!

Old May 29th, 2007, 12:08   #104
colocolo
Xtratime Elite

Beat them Bear CUBS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old May 29th, 2007, 12:50   #105
colocolo
Xtratime Elite

Florida 5, Chi Cubs 3

May 28, 2007

CHICAGO (AP) -- Byung-Hyun Kim ruined the Cubs' gameplan.

Kim pitched six scoreless innings, Reggie Abercrombie homered and the Florida Marlins held on to beat Chicago 5-3 on Monday.

Kim (3-2) allowed three hits and struck out five while working around three walks. Kim, who was traded to the Marlins on May 14 from Colorado, is 2-0 in three starts for Florida.

"Kim can be tough when he is in the strike zone like he was today. We as a team had a gameplan to make him throw strikes," Cubs catcher Michael Barrett said. "He came out pumping strikes and putting the pressure on us and got ahead of us, and his slider was working."

Josh Willingham had two hits and an RBI and Miguel Cabrera had three hits for the Marlins, who bounced back after getting swept by the New York Mets over the weekend.

Kim struck out Derrek Lee to end the third inning with runners on first and third and pumped his fist as he left the mound.

"B.K. knows how it is. You give a team any chance to score and they do, it could get them on a roll. Once he got in a couple good innings, he did get into cruise control," said catcher Matt Treanor.

Sean Marshall (0-2), making his second start of the season, gave up an RBI single to Willingham in the first inning.

Willingham led off the fourth inning with a single and advanced to third on Jeremy Hermida's single. He scored on Jason Wood's groundout to give the Marlins a 2-0 lead.

In the seventh inning, Abercrombie chased Marshall with a solo-shot to left-center. It was his second of the season.

Marshall lasted 6 1-3 innings, giving up three runs -- two earned -- and six hits. He struck out six and walked two.

Cubs reliever Scott Eyre allowed a leadoff double to Cabrera in the eighth inning. Cabrera scored on Wood's single.

The Cubs got all their runs in the ninth inning. Ryan Theriot hit an RBI single off Taylor Tankersley, and Cliff Floyd hit a broken-bat bloop single to center off Kevin Gregg that scored two. Gregg got the final three outs for his fifth save in five opportunities.

"The momentum was definitely on their side in that inning. To get out of there and preserve the victory, that's what it comes down to. It doesn't matter what it looks like. It's about getting those three outs," Gregg said.

Despite a $300 million spending spree in the offseason, the Cubs are 22-27 and have lost six of their last eight games, including a 2-1 loss to Dodgers in Los Angeles on Sunday.

"I think there is a little frustration because we lost a tough game (Sunday) and a little tired too because we came in late that night. It's tough, but that's not an excuse, we lost because they had very good pitching," said Alfonso Soriano.

Old May 29th, 2007, 12:51   #106
colocolo
Xtratime Elite

MARLINS Notes

Marlins right-handers Josh Johnson, Henry Owens and Carlos Martinez are all scheduled to pitch in an extended spring training game on Tuesday in Jupiter, Fla. ... Kim snared a hard hit line drive off the bat of Ramirez in the first inning and doubled off Cliff Floyd. ... Theriot made an over-the-head basket catch on Hanley Ramirez's ball in the fifth inning. He made a nice bare-handed pickup and threw out Matt Treanor in the sixth. ... Since last the season, the Marlins have won five straight against the Cubs.

Old May 29th, 2007, 14:13   #107
HajdukSplit
Zico's Little Bitch
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Hajduk Split, Derby County
how are Owens and Lindstrom doing? I would like to have at least one of them right now (although Owens has been injured). I went to Vargas' debut game at Shea and he pitched solidly for all but one inning but Mets need more bullpen help than another starter
Ludogorets prvi put u grupnoj fazi EL a vec nakon cetiri tekme osigurao proljece u Europi a Dinamo ceka pola stoljeca
Old June 3rd, 2007, 14:00   #108
colocolo
Xtratime Elite

Florida 5, Milwaukee 2

June 2, 2007

MILWAUKEE (AP) -- Byung-Hyun Kim kept the Florida Marlins in it long enough until the offense came around.

The key hit was supplied by Josh Willingham, who hit a two-run homer in the eighth inning, and Florida beat the Milwaukee Brewers 5-2 on Saturday night.

"We had to get the lead back," said Willingham, whose homer was part of a three-run eighth.

Miguel Cabrera went 2-for-4 and also hit a two-run homer in the sixth for the Marlins.

"He's swinging the bat," Marlins manager Fredi Gonzalez said of Cabrera. "He's a good hitter."

Tied 2-2 in the eighth, Hanley Ramirez singled to drive in Dan Uggla from second. After Cabrera popped up to the catcher, Willingham hit his eighth homer of the season into the left-field seats off reliever Jose Capellan (0-1).

Capellan was recalled Thursday from Triple-A Nashville.

"Some of those guys needed a break," Brewers manager Ned Yost said of pitching Capellan, "and he was the freshest guy down there."

Matt Lindstrom (1-2) got the final out in the seventh and picked up his first major league win. After the game, Gonzalez handed Lindstrom the lineup card and the game ball.

"Crazy how it works," Lindstrom said. "It still counts. I just had to get one out. It's kind of unfair."

Kevin Gregg earned his seventh save in seven chances.

Kim kept the Marlins in the game until the offense got going. Kim threw six innings -- tying a season high -- allowing one run and three hits. He struck out three and walked two.

"B.K. did an outstanding job, better than outstanding," Gonzalez said. "He's done it every start. He's been reliable. We need to do that more often."

He left in the seventh with a 2-1 lead, but pinch hitter Corey Hart tied the game with a homer to center off reliever Renyel Pinto.

Starting pitcher Chris Capuano hit the first pitch he saw from Kim over the left-field fence for his first career homer, giving Milwaukee a 1-0 lead in the fifth.

The next inning, Cabrera sent a 1-2 pitch from Capuano over the right-field wall to put Florida up 2-1.

"I had Cabrera down 1-2," Capuano said. "I was trying to go in on him and I threw it right down the middle."

Capuano pitched seven innings, allowing two runs and three hits. He struck out a season-high 10 and walked three.

"His pitch count got up, and I was worried he wouldn't get through five," Yost said of Capuano, who threw 119 pitches. "I was very pleased with Capuano tonight."

With the loss, the NL Central-leading Brewers will have to wait until Sunday to try to end their six-series losing streak. The Brewers, who are 7-15 in their past 22 games, lead the series with Florida 2-1.

Old June 3rd, 2007, 14:01   #109
colocolo
Xtratime Elite

Marlins Notes

Capuano recorded his 500th career strikeout in the first inning, when he struck out Uggla looking. ... Capuano's homer was the first by a Milwaukee pitcher since Sept. 12, 2003, when Brooks Kieschnick hit one at San Francisco, and it was the 11th homer by a pitcher in Brewers history. ... Hart's homer was the first pinch-hit homer for Milwaukee this season and the third of his career. ... Florida RHP Armando Benitez recorded the 900th strikeout of his career when he got 3B Ryan Braun in the eighth.

Old June 7th, 2007, 09:02   #110
colocolo
Xtratime Elite

Florida 7, Atlanta 4

By PAUL NEWBERRY, AP Sports Writer
June 6, 2007

ATLANTA (AP) -- The Florida Marlins rarely win a series in Atlanta, so manager Fredi Gonzalez wasn't about to let this one get away.

Aaron Boone homered for the second day in a row, the Florida bullpen kept the Braves from rallying and the Marlins held on for a 7-4 victory Wednesday.

Florida built a 5-0 lead by the third inning, capped by Boone's two-run shot, and took no chances when starter Scott Olsen struggled with his control.

Olsen was yanked in the fifth after giving up a two-run single to Jeff Francoeur, having walked five in 4 1-3 innings. He left with a 5-2 lead, but didn't pitch long enough to qualify for the win.

"You owe it to the other 24 guys," Gonzalez said. "You would love to have given him the opportunity, but it was one of those gut feelings, you know?"

Justin Miller got out of further trouble in the fifth and Kevin Gregg escaped a bases-loaded jam in the eighth.

Olsen was tightlipped about being yanked just two outs short of qualifying for a win.

"Not my call," he kept repeating over and over, though he did concede, "My control was bad on every ball I threw, for the most part."

Gonzalez wasn't concerned about shaking Olsen's confidence.

"We'll keep building on it," the manager said. "Here's a 23-year old kid that we need to get better. We will and he will."

Florida took three of four at Turner Field, only its second series win in Atlanta since 2002. The Braves have lost four of five, costing them a chance to climb closer to first-place New York in the NL East.

Justin Miller (1-0) worked 1 2-3 scoreless innings for the win. Gregg finished up his ninth save in as many chances.

The Marlins jumped on Kyle Davies (3-4) right away. Alfredo Amezaga and Dan Uggla started the game with singles and Josh Willingham drove them both home with a double to the gap in left-center.

Florida made it 5-0 in the third. Uggla led off with a double, stole third and wound up scoring on Jeremy Hermida's sacrifice fly.

Davies, who had walked Willingham, squandered a chance to escape further damage when he hung a slider to Boone with two outs. The first baseman drove it into the left-field seats, his fifth homer of the season and second in three games.

"It's important to score runs, whether it's early or late," said Boone, who also homered in the opener of Tuesday's doubleheader.

Davies steadied himself after a rough April but is still looking for some sort of consistency. He lasted only five innings. He gave up five runs on six hits and two walks.

"If it's 3-0, the game is a little more interesting," Davies said. "But I hang a slider, the ball is gone and it's 5-0. That's a big difference."

In five of his starts, the 23-year-old right-hander has averaged just over seven innings, going 3-0 with an ERA of 2.29. In his other six appearances, he's not lasted more than 5 1-3 innings, going 0-4 with a 9.22 ERA.

"The aggressiveness has got to be there," Davies said. "That's what I'm going to work on so I can get on a roll. I'm tired of this roller coaster. Up and down. Up and down."

Down 7-2, Atlanta tried to rally in the eighth. Kelly Johnson hit a two-out, two-run single off Taylor Tankersley and the Braves loaded the bases.

But Gregg retired Francoeur on a weak grounder to third, then breezed through the ninth.

The Braves, who have struggled offensively, left 12 runners on base, and Francoeur was easily thrown out at second when he tried foolishly tried to stretch a single into a double with Atlanta down 5-0.

"If we had been doing better, he's probably not running there," teammate Scott Thorman said. "Everybody is trying do too much."

Old June 7th, 2007, 09:03   #111
colocolo
Xtratime Elite

MARLINS Notes

3B Miguel Cabrera sat out after his right hamstring tightened while running the bases Tuesday. The Marlins already had been planning to give him the day off, but the injury ensured he wouldn't play. Manager Fredi Gonzalez is hopeful that Cabrera will be able to return Friday after an off day. ... Amezaga moved in from center field to take over for Cabrera at third, then shifted to shortstop late in the game. "The secret weapon," Gonzalez said. "It's unbelievable how valuable he's been." ... Thorman showed signs of reversing a long slump, getting three hits, but he had an embarrassing moment defensively. In the seventh, he lost Hanley Ramirez's towering popup in the sun, watching it drop behind him at first base for a gift single.

Old June 11th, 2007, 09:26   #112
colocolo
Xtratime Elite

Devil Rays 9, Marlins 4 (AP) - 11 hours ago
Devil Rays 7, Marlins 2 (AP) - 1 day ago

At least its somebody from our own State !!

Old June 14th, 2007, 09:11   #113
colocolo
Xtratime Elite

Marlins' Sanchez to visit Andrews over shoulder problem

June 13, 2007

MIAMI (AP) -- Anibal Sanchez's path back to the Florida Marlins has hit a significant snag.

Sanchez, who threw a no-hitter as a rookie last September but has struggled and was sent to the minors last month, will visit orthopedic surgeon Dr. James Andrews in Birmingham, Ala., on June 20.

Sanchez has been bothered by a sore right shoulder -- his pitching arm -- for several months. He allowed 43 hits and 19 walks in 30 innings with the Marlins early this season, going 2-1 with a 4.80 ERA in six starts.

The Marlins sent him to Triple-A Albuquerque in early May, but he was soon placed on the minor league disabled list with the shoulder problem.

Sanchez was 10-3 with a 2.83 ERA as a rookie last season for Florida. He threw his no-hitter Sept. 6 against the Arizona Diamondbacks, in what was his 13th major-league start.

Old June 14th, 2007, 20:42   #114
Josué
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

LET'S GO METS!!!

MEET THE METS
MEET THE METS
A VENCER DESDE 1893

Oh lampião, levaste 5 no Dragão, nunca te esquecerás desta grande humilhação!

16:01 kat
*little pillows wrestling is another thing Josh does, when he is drunk *
Old June 14th, 2007, 21:00   #115
Hala Madrid
Forum Manager
Legend

Teams: Real Madrid & Spain
Quote:
Originally Posted by FigoIsGod
LET'S GO METS!!!

MEET THE METS
MEET THE METS
Dodgers SWEEP baby
Old June 15th, 2007, 20:47   #116
Josué
Forum Manager
Xtratime Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hala Madrid
Dodgers SWEEP baby
Just like in the playoffs... oh wait...
A VENCER DESDE 1893

Oh lampião, levaste 5 no Dragão, nunca te esquecerás desta grande humilhação!

16:01 kat
*little pillows wrestling is another thing Josh does, when he is drunk *
Old June 16th, 2007, 00:28   #117
colocolo
Xtratime Elite

Johnson returns to Marlins for first time since spring

June 15, 2007

KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) -- The Florida Marlins got a pitcher back Friday and the Carolina Mudcats got a new TV.

Right-hander Josh Johnson, out all year with an irritated ulnar nerve in his pitching arm, rejoined the team after successful rehab starts at Double-A Carolina. Manager Fredi Gonzalez said Johnson would start Monday at the Chicago White Sox.

Johnson, 11-5 as a rookie last year in 24 starts, left behind an unexpected gift for the clubhouse in Zebulon, N. C. -- a 42-inch plasma TV.

"I don't even think they know about it yet," he said. "They'll get a little surprise."

Johnson first experienced trouble with the arm last September. He was out all spring.

"Spring training was the worst," he said. "Watching those guys go out there and do all the stuff I couldn't do, just sit there every day. Just go out there and run, and I'd be done. That was the toughest part."

He said he would be careful not to try to make up two lost months all at once.

"I'll just go out there and try to give my team a chance to win. That's all I can do," he said. "Get as many innings as I can. If I wind up going nine (innings), it's a plus."

In the meantime, the Marlins did not think the injury to right-hander Dontrelle Willis' hand was serious. The Marlins got a scare in their game against Cleveland Thursday night when Willis appeared to jam his left hand while covering first base.

"It's nothing major," said Gonzalez. "I think he's going to go out and play catch. It's nothing to be overly concerned about. It's just we'd like him to stay on his normal five days, but we could always give him an extra day."

The Marlins had not made a roster move as of late Friday.

Old June 16th, 2007, 00:29   #118
colocolo
Xtratime Elite

Quote:
LET'S GO METS!!!

MEET THE METS
MEET THE METS
If it WASNT 'cause we both like RM..I kick your ass right into frikken Shea Pasture !!!

Old June 16th, 2007, 03:09   #119
Hala Madrid
Forum Manager
Legend

Teams: Real Madrid & Spain
Quote:
Just like in the playoffs... oh wait...
Jeff Kent and JD Drew being tagged out at home. Who does that?
Old June 16th, 2007, 03:22   #120
HajdukSplit
Zico's Little Bitch
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Hajduk Split, Derby County
a bad baseball team with no fundamentals who get lucky a few times aka the Phillies
Ludogorets prvi put u grupnoj fazi EL a vec nakon cetiri tekme osigurao proljece u Europi a Dinamo ceka pola stoljeca