Portuguese Football Managers - Page 5 - Xtratime Community
Go Back   Xtratime Community > European Football > Portuguese Football > Portuguese Leagues, Cups, and National Team
Register Blogs FAQ Prediction League Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old November 5th, 2007, 22:21   #81
Filipe Reis
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: SPORTING CP & Portugal NT
Paulo Duarte leaves Leiria
Monday 5 November 2007
in uefa.com

Paulo Duarte has resigned as coach of UD Leiria with his team bottom of the Portuguese Liga without a win.

'Change needed'
Leiria lost 3-1 at home to CD Nacional on Sunday to take their record for the league season to six defeats and three draws in nine games. The former Leiria player was appointed coach in March and led them to victory in the UEFA Intertoto Cup before falling to Bayer 04 Leverkusen in the UEFA Cup first round. The 38-year-old said: "I felt that Leiria needed a change at this point and so I am resigning. At first the board did not accept my decision but I believe that things should change so that the club can get back to winning ways." No decision has been made on his successor.
"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.”
Nelson Mandela
Filipe Reis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 8th, 2007, 17:34   #82
Filipe Reis
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Machado takes the helm at Braga
Thursday 8 November 2007
in uefa.com

Manuel Machado has been named as the new coach of UEFA Cup contenders SC Braga two months after being dismissed by Liga rivals A. Académica de Coimbra.

Campaign plans
"I want to continue the good performances in the UEFA Cup while in the league the goal is to finish in the top places so we can play in Europe next season", said the 51-year-old, who counts CD Nacional, Vitória SC and Moreirense FC among his previous clubs. "Aside from that, we also want to have a good campaign in the Portuguese Cup." Braga are not in UEFA Cup action this week after earning a 1-1 draw at Bolton Wanderers FC in their opening game. They play host to FC Bayern München on Matchday 3.

Commitment
Machado will take command of the club in earnest next week, leaving caretaker António Caldas in charge for this weekend's game against Sporting Clube de Portugal. The northern club are currently eighth in the 16-team Liga, with the new coach – who replaces Jorge Costa – saying: "I hope everyone will be supportive and work hard, including the board, the players and the fans."
"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.”
Nelson Mandela
Old November 8th, 2007, 21:04   #83
Wally
Administrators
Xtratime Elite

Teams: Feyenoord & Spuds
Quote:
Mourinho 'pulled ears of schoolboy, 12, who said he was not the best'
Last updated at 15:20pm on 8th November 2007

As the manager of Chelsea he heard far worse on the football terraces. But a schoolboy's taunts have finally pushed Jose Mourinho over the edge.

The self-proclaimed 'Special One' flew into a rage when his 11-year-old daughter told him about playground jibes that he was not "the best", it has been revealed.

He found the culprit, a 12-year-old schoolboy, and held him by the hair while he "pulled" his ears, the Portuguese newspaper Correio da Manha reported.

Mr Mourinho, 44, was then summoned before the headmistress and made to formally apologise to his tearful victim and his family.

Shocked witnesses said the drama unfolded when the former Chelsea boss went to pick up his daughter Matilde from her Ł6,500-a-year bilingual school in Setubal, near Lisbon, yesterday afternoon.

One told how he watched Mr Mourinho grab Pedro Antonio and hand out his unorthodox dressing-down, and said he was left "speechless".

Isabel Simao, the headmistress of St Peter's School, said it had followed a row between the boy and Matilde Mourinho.

She said: "From what I can gather it was just a typical children's row with children's words. She claimed her dad was the best but the boy said he wasn't. It was as simple as that."

But Mrs Simao was forced to step in after seeing Mr Mourinho's furious reaction.

"I saw Mr Mourinho grabbing the child's arm,' she said. "There was no physical assault in the literal sense of the term. Pedro cried a bit at first and seemed frightened but we calmed him down.

"I asked him several times if Mr Mourinho had punched or kicked him and he denied it. But I knew that Mr Mourinho had also grabbed his hair, as the child has long hair.

"He was upset about what happened, he is after all a 12-year-old boy, but he accepted the apology."

Mrs Simao said she called Mr Mourinho and the boy's family to a meeting before the school board and said the world famous football manager presented a formal apology to the boy, his parents and the school.

(to the tune of Verdi) Jo-se Mou-rin-iho Jose Mourinho Jose Mourinho Jose Mourinhoooo
RIP Bob Crow

Lex Immers - Pace & power. Holland's #1 box to box player

Feyenoord forum - the place to talk about this phenomenon

Danny Green - When you beat a legend, you become a legend
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2007, 21:28   #84
Filipe Reis
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally

(to the tune of Verdi) Jo-se Mou-rin-iho Jose Mourinho Jose Mourinho Jose Mourinhoooo
What a sick bastard.
Nelson Mandela
Old November 8th, 2007, 21:39   #85
Inácio
Third Place winner, October 2012 XT Photo Contest
Community Manager
Legend

Teams: SL Benfica
well, my opinion on mourinho as a "person" is well known so, this doesnt surprise me one bit

without trying to sound bully, if he had done it to my son / bro, he would have stayed a long time withhout bedding his mistress
X not in range

"rocks on my path? i keep them all , one day i'll build a castle"
Inácio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2007, 21:57   #86
Filipe Reis
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by inacio
well, my opinion on mourinho as a "person" is well known so, this doesnt surprise me one bit

without trying to sound bully, if he had done it to my son / bro, he would have stayed a long time withhout bedding his mistress
don't mess with the Lady with the Sword
Nelson Mandela
Old November 8th, 2007, 22:13   #87
Inácio
Community Manager
Legend

actually, i think im going back to the beringela, i kind of miss it
X not in range

Old November 13th, 2007, 16:13   #88
Filipe Reis
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Peseiro proud of Panathinaikos
Tuesday 13 November 2007
by Vassiliki Papantonopoulou from Athens
in uefa.com

Panathinaikos FC coach José Peseiro said he believes in "every single player" in his squad as the Greens returned to the top of the Greek table on Sunday after a long absence.

'High-quality football'
A 2-1 derby win against AEK Athens FC moved Panathinaikos to the Super League summit for the first time since 8 May 2005, and underlined the fine progress they have made this season since Portuguese coach Peseiro took over from Victor Muñoz. "I am very proud of my players," said the former Sporting Clube de Portugal boss. "They played high-quality football."

No exception
That has been no great exception to the norm this season. The 47-year-old has watched his side impress both at home and in Europe where, following a third-placed finish in the league last season, they have won both of their UEFA Cup Group B outings to date. Dimitrios Papadopoulos, meanwhile, is the competition's joint-top scorer with five goals.

Impressive statistics
"So far this season, we have recorded eleven victories, one draw and have suffered just one defeat in our competitive encounters," explained Peseiro as he reflected upon his side's impressive form on all fronts this term. "We have scored 27 goals and conceded just four. We deserve to be at the top of the league, but we haven't won anything yet."

Mantzios cameo
Sunday's success was proof that Peseiro has faith in his whole squad. Having played just 113 minutes of football in the previous seven league games, Evangelos Mantzios started against AEK and duly set up the opening goal for the in-form Dimitrios Salpingidis after six minutes before drilling in a superb effort of his own before half-time to secure the points.

'Surprised I started'
"I am very happy with my performance but also with the result," said the 24-year-old. "Truth be told, I was surprised I started the match. Our head coach is keen on rotation, but as I didn't start against FC København [in the UEFA Cup], I didn't expect to play in the derby. However, I have been in form, and proved it in training, and I guess that prompted Mr Peseiro's decision."

'Working hard'
Peseiro underlined that commitment to all of the talent at his command, saying: "I believe in every single player I've got. They are working hard and deserve to be given opportunities. Mantzios didn't play because I wanted to rest other players, he played because he has the quality. I am a lucky coach." For the time being, it seems Panathinaikos are also lucky to have him.

-------------------------------------------

pois
Nelson Mandela
Old November 14th, 2007, 00:24   #89
kit
Rookie

The not at all fickle or hypocritical Barca fans show their preference for the translator as their new boss. (Reminder, he was voted most hated figure in Barca history a year ago, ahead of Figo.)

http://www.elmundodeportivo.es/web/g...id=53410530924
kit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2007, 00:32   #90
Filipe Reis
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by kit
The not at all fickle or hypocritical Barca fans show their preference for the translator as their new boss. (Reminder, he was voted most hated figure in Barca history a year ago, ahead of Figo.)

http://www.elmundodeportivo.es/web/g...id=53410530924
I'd love to read K4's reaction to this
Nelson Mandela
Old November 14th, 2007, 00:50   #91
kit
Rookie

Dunno who K4 is, but I'd like to be a fly on the wall if and when God meets er, God.

http://www.portugoal.net/MourinhoCol...urinhoWk5a.htm

Plus all the tasty things Jose's had to say about Barca since he left (favouritism etc.) That'll take some backtracking or brassneckedness.

Last edited by kit : November 14th, 2007 at 00:55.
Old November 14th, 2007, 01:00   #92
Filipe Reis
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by kit
Dunno who K4 is, but I'd like to be a fly on the wall if and when God meets er, God.

http://www.portugoal.net/MourinhoCol...urinhoWk5a.htm

Plus all the tasty things Jose's had to say about Barca since he left (favouritism etc.) That'll take some backtracking or brassneckedness.
K4 (Koeman4) is a regular poster of XT, who is a big Barca fan and hates Mourinho's guts.

Backtracking and brassneckedness or if you prefer spineless lack of character are typical on the person in question therefore I would not be surprised for a single moment to see him taking charge of Barca's managing seat.
Nelson Mandela
Old December 8th, 2007, 12:54   #93
Filipe Reis
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Mourinho on England job: 'Why not?'
AFP in London
December 7, 2007

José Mourinho has given the first clear indication that he is seriously considering becoming England's next manager.

Asked on Friday if he could be the successor to Steve McClaren, the former Chelsea boss responded with a smile and a "Why not?" that will only consolidate his status as favourite to take on the challenge of turning England into world-beaters.

The English Football Association had earlier denied that any approach had been made to Mourinho or any other potential candidate.

The governing body has however confirmed that it has completed its process of canvassing opinions among senior football figures on how it should go about finding a new manager, which could clear the way for Mourinho to be interviewed for the position.

Mourinho's first direct comment on the subject was made at his home in Portugal in a brief exchange with a reporter from Sky Sports News.

In it, he confirmed that he had cancelled plans to travel to London this week.

Mourinho said: "I would like to be in London with my family for a couple of days but nobody would believe the reason why I am there -- just to see friends and do some Christmas shopping. So to try to stop speculation, we decided to stay here."

There has been speculation that Mourinho has encouraged the FA to believe that he could be interested in the England job in order to prompt a leading club into offering him a job -- a suggestion he dismissed, according to Sky.

According to English media reports, the search for the next England manager has been whittled down to five candidates: Mourinho, Fabio Capello, Marcello Lippi, Jurgen Klinsmann and Martin O'Neill.

Of those, only Capello has unequivocally declared his interest in taking on the post.

Lippi, who led Italy to World Cup glory in Germany last year, and O'Neill, who was passed over when McClaren got the job last year, have both said they are not interested.

McClaren was sacked last month after England failed to qualify for Euro 2008.
Nelson Mandela
Old December 26th, 2007, 09:47   #94
kit
Rookie

You might have seen these already but if not, they're quite funny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TOh3WlXJg0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwbu59aDtbo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRz2SC92ze4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLW-V...eature=related
Old December 27th, 2007, 10:26   #95
serghe
Premier Player

Teams: Fenerbahce
Artur Jorge becomes Iran coach

http://www.persianfootball.com/index...d=519&Itemid=2
serghe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2007, 00:12   #96
Inácio
Community Manager
Legend

good luck to iran
X not in range

Old December 29th, 2007, 07:51   #97
serghe
Premier Player

Teams: Fenerbahce
thanks. we'll need it too.
serghe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2008, 17:20   #98
Filipe Reis
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Calisto being tipped to take over as Vietnam coach

Portuguese coach Henrique Calisto has emerged as the leading candidate to take over Vietnam's struggling national team, according to local media reports.

Calisto, who coaches Vietnamese club Dong Tam Long An, is backed by the country's sports ministry and is favourite to succeed Austrian Alfred Riedl, who quit after Vietnam's embarrassing Southeast Asian (SEA) Games exit, reports said.

Calisto has already said he was interested in the post and told the Vietnam News Agency: "I believe after seven years working in Vietnam, my knowledge and experience is invaluable."

Football federation chairman Nguyen Trong Hy told local media that Vietnam was looking for a foreign coach, although those considered so far had asked for too much money.

A senior federation official told Reuters on Monday that several candidates were being considered but a decision was yet to taken.

In July, Vietnam had their highest Asian Cup finish in 50 years after reaching the quarter-finals, where they lost to eventual champions Iraq.

But they hit rock bottom just a few months later when they were knocked out in the preliminary rounds of 2010 World Cup qualifiers and lost to minnow Myanmar in the semi-finals of the SEA Games.

Riedl, who was hugely popular in Vietnam, quit afterwards, saying the country's communist rulers had pressured the football federation to get rid of him.

source: reuters
Nelson Mandela
Old June 1st, 2008, 18:38   #99
Filipe Reis
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Humberto Coelho is the new manager of the Tunisian National Team. He succeeds on the post the former European Champion with France, Roger Lemerre.

Good luck to Humberto
Nelson Mandela
Old June 5th, 2008, 20:55   #100
G. Facchetti
Mourinho & Cassano!!
Xtratime Legend

Teams: FC Internazionale Milano, FC Rangers
ANyone who missed it-MOURINHO at INTER
WE WILL ALWAYS REMEMBER GIACINTO FACCHETTI, LEGEND OF THE INTERNAZIONALE AND ITALIAN GAME
G. Facchetti is offline   Reply With Quote