Martins Signed! - Page 2 - Xtratime Community
Go Back   Xtratime Community > European Football > British & Irish Football > Newcastle United
Register Blogs FAQ Prediction League Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old August 21st, 2006, 23:05   #21
xfer
Rising Star

Teams: Newcastle United
im pretty sure its 21 like its reported.
xfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 22nd, 2006, 04:02   #22
Carson35
XT Post Number King
Xtratime Elite

Teams: INTER & Tottenham Hotspur
Martins reveals Newcastle ‘move’ Monday 21 August, 2006

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Inter’s Obafemi Martins is close to signing for Newcastle United. "Eighty per cent of the deal with Newcastle is completed,” he said.

The Nigerian has been hotly linked with the Premiership side following the arrivals of Zlatan Ibrahimovic, plus Hernan Crespo, and today confirmed that a transfer is on the horizon.

"I'm close to moving to Newcastle, despite all the initial delays," the 21-year-old confirmed to BBC Sport.

"I have long since wished to play in the Premiership and I am pleased with the prospect of concluding the deal in the next couple of days.”

The former Nerazzurri youth team product has been paired with numerous clubs, but his agent Patrick Bastianelli is understood to have held Toon talks over the weekend.

Reports suggest that Inter and Newcastle have agreed on a £10.9m fee following boss Glenn Roeder’s specific request to have Martins at his disposal.

channel4
My heart = INTER...No Matter Win or Lose...

Zanetti : I still remember my first day at Inter. I arrived with a plastic bag with my boots inside and I crossed the crowd of fans who were asking who I was. That's where it all started.....
Carson35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2006, 09:34   #23
Prince-O
Legend

Teams: AFC Ajax Amsterdam
I would love to see Martins move to you guys. Personally I feel that Serie A is not the best place for him, although he has done reasonably well at Inter. I think he can explode in the fast paced EPL. I do agree with the fact that it will be hard to play Owen and Martins together. Maybe Martins and Ameobi would make a better partnership?
Mens Sana In Corpore Sano

"Education is our passport to the future, for tomorrow belongs to the people who prepare for it today." - Malcolm X
Prince-O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2006, 11:24   #24
Prodigy
Star Player

Teams: Newcastle United, England
Breaking news on Sky Sports News, £10m fee agreed!
Prodigy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2006, 11:58   #25
Prodigy
Star Player

From the official site:

Obafemi Martins - Fee Agreed

NEWCASTLE United have confirmed they have agreed a fee with Inter Milan for striker Obafemi Martins.

The Magpies have had discussions with the Serie A giants over the Nigerian international, and now they are set to press on and hopefully agree terms with the player and his representatives.

Chairman Freddy Shepherd told nufc.co.uk: "I can confirm we have agreed a fee with Inter Milan for Obafemi Martins.

"It is now up to the player and the agent to agree terms on offer."
Old August 22nd, 2006, 12:20   #26
Prodigy
Star Player

Sky Sports are claiming Portsmouth are attempting to hijack the deal:

Skysports.com understand that Portsmouth have made a renewed bid to snatch Obafemi Martins from under the noses of Newcastle.

We revealed on Sunday that a €16 million (£10.9 million) deal had been struck between Newcastle and Internazionale for the Nigerian striker.

However, it can now be revealed that Pompey have not given up hope of landing Martins and have now made a fresh bid - with an increased offer of personal terms.

It is now believed that Martins is seriously considering making the move to Fratton Park rather than St James's Park.

Newcastle held lengthy discussions over the weekend with Martins's representatives and progress was made. But nothing was signed and that has given Portsmouth the opportunity they needed to make their move.

While Newcastle can offer Martins big wages, they cannot live with the new found financial power of Pompey - who are now bankrolled by Alexandre Gaydamak

That's a worrying article, we better not miss out on him now!
Old August 22nd, 2006, 12:26   #27
DavidSilk24
Star Player

Teams: England B
hahahah last minute bid what a waste of time

dont worry mate he's yours, unless Kanu can work his magic
Champions of England - 1948/49 & 1949/50

Ernie Butler
Bill Hindmarsh------------------Harry Ferrier
Jimmy Scoular-------------------Reg Flewin (c)---------------Jimmy Dickinson
Ike Clarke---------------------Len Phillips
Peter Harris---------------------Duggie Reid------------------Jack Froggatt
DavidSilk24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2006, 12:41   #28
Prodigy
Star Player

It's the better personal terms bit that gets me, there were reports over the weekend that we were still some way apart from an agreement with the player and these reports add to my fears. The player himself told the BBC that the deal is 80% done, but if you offer higher wages who knows what will happen. We cannot afford to lose out on him at such a late stage in the transfer window though, which is why I find the story so worrying.
Old August 22nd, 2006, 23:53   #29
Cüneyt Arkın
Xtratime Legend

Good prospect you've agreed a deal for, I love how Sky Sports is always "Sky Sports has learnt" or "Sky Sports understands". Haha.
"It's up for grabs now!"

Arsenal - Incongruentia Per Cladis
Cüneyt Arkın is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2006, 04:00   #30
Carson35
XT Post Number King
Xtratime Elite

Newcastle agree Martins fee Tuesday 22 August, 2006

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Inter and Newcastle have agreed a fee for striker Obafemi Martins, the Premiership club have confirmed.

"I can confirm we have agreed a fee with Inter Milan for Obafemi Martins," Newcastle chairman Freddy Shepherd told the club's website.

"It is now up to the player and the agent to agree terms on the offer."

The Magpies are in desperate need of a forward to replace the injured Michael Owen and the now retired Alan Shearer.

Martins became Newcastle’s top priority after they missed out on Feyenoord’s Dirk Kuyt who moved to Liverpool.

Boss Glenn Roeder was one of Martin’s top sponsors and the club is ready to spend a reported £10.9m to bring the African to Saint James’ Park.

The 21-year-old would join former Inter teammate Belozoglu Emre who moved to England last summer.

Martins, who has conceded that playing in the Premiership has been a long-term target, was also courted by Portsmouth.

channel4

Zanetti : I still remember my first day at Inter. I arrived with a plastic bag with my boots inside and I crossed the crowd of fans who were asking who I was. That's where it all started.....
Old August 23rd, 2006, 09:29   #31
Demandred
Forum Manager
Legend

Teams: AS Roma, Newcastle
I am not happy with this transfer, this transfer fee is way too much for martins, especially considering he's not needed at Inter after the arrival of Zlatan. Sure, he's extremely fast but apart from that he's nothing special, his finishing is mediocre at best, his tecnique is poor, etc.

Plus he's too similar to Owen. We should've signed a typical targetman to replace Shearer, not someone like Martins.
"You don’t play a derby, you win it." - Rudi Garcia
Demandred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2006, 11:48   #32
Prodigy
Star Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demandred
I am not happy with this transfer, this transfer fee is way too much for martins, especially considering he's not needed at Inter after the arrival of Zlatan. Sure, he's extremely fast but apart from that he's nothing special, his finishing is mediocre at best, his tecnique is poor, etc.

Plus he's too similar to Owen. We should've signed a typical targetman to replace Shearer, not someone like Martins.
Don't look too much into the fee just yet. Remember the Duff deal was quoted at £11.5m, but it turned out it was £5m. I'm not saying the fee isn't £10m, just that the club hasn't confirmed the price we've agreed with Inter as of yet.

As for signing a targetman I disagree to an extent. Roeder seems to rate Ameobi highly and to be fair to the lad his recent performances for the club have been impressive. Roeder's stated that he's been looking for a striker to play alongside Ameobi therefore signing a targetman wouldn't be ideal at this moment in time unless it's to replace him. We've got to assume that Owen won't play this season therefore adding pace to the attack takes priority. There is still talk of another striker, but I think the idea for this season is to give Ameobi his chance to shine. I'm not his biggest fan, but given the circumstances someone who offers pace up front is of higher priority. Don't forget when we signed Bellamy everyone made similar noises about him not being ideal, but look at how much he improved our attack. If we do sign Martins with his pace it could turn out to be a very good move IMO. He's still a young player and can only improve.

Ideally we would sign two new strikers of high quality but with the defence also desperately needing strengthening we're in a far from ideal situation with only a week left in the transfer market. Roeder's stated that we're working hard behind the scenes, I just hope we get the players in we need.

The latest on the situation:

Roeder commented this morning:

"We've got club officials out there today in Milan trying to tie the deal up," Roeder told Sky Sports News.

"I think we are virtually there with an agreement with the player, with the club and the agents.

"There's quite a bit of paperwork to be done today so we will be rushing around trying to get that all signed.

"Hopefully very late tonight or first thing in the morning we can bring Martins back with us.

"It's too early to say 'yes he's signed up' because officially he hasn't, but we're positive as to what's going to happen by the end of play today."

Roeder insisted that he was not worried about Portsmouth's interest in Martins.

"I never worry about speculation, I only concern myself with what we're doing. As far as I'm concerned, as long as the paperwork goes through today, he'll be our man," he said.

"Not only Portsmouth, but any other club, will have to look elsewhere, if they are looking for a striker."

Meanwhile Martins was quoted in the times saying:

“I will join Newcastle on Thursday,” Martins said. “I am very happy about this.”
Old August 24th, 2006, 03:38   #33
Carson35
XT Post Number King
Xtratime Elite

Newcastle close in on Oba Oba Wednesday 23 August, 2006

Newcastle officials are in Milan as they hope to complete the £10m transfer of Inter striker Obafemi Martins.

Magpies boss Glenn Roeder is looking to wrap up the swoop despite reports suggesting that Portsmouth may hijack the move.

Inter and the Premiership club agreed a fee for the Nigerian striker on Tuesday, leaving it to the player and his agent to finalise terms on offer.

"I think we are virtually there with an agreement with the player, the club and the agents,” Roeder told the club’s website.

"There is lot of paperwork to be done today, but Kenneth Shepherd and Lee Charnley are working hard and we hope we will bring Martins back with us.”

Roeder is not concerned about Pompey’s alleged interest in the player and is confident in a positive outcome of the Milan meetings.

"I never worry about speculation at all, as far as I am concerned as long as the paperwork goes through today, Martins will be our man and any other club will have to look elsewhere."

Roeder was one of Martins’ top sponsors in the Magpies’ search for a forward to replace the injured Michael Owen and the now retired Alan Shearer.

The striker could make his debut at Aston Villa on Sunday and would join former Inter teammate Belozoglu Emre, who is looking forward to playing with him again.

“I played with him for three years in Milan, he is a good player, very quick,” said Emre. “I think he would be a great signing for the club and the supporters.”

channel4

Old August 24th, 2006, 05:47   #34
Carson35
XT Post Number King
Xtratime Elite

Emre: Martins sensational for Newcastle
tribalfooball.com - August 23, 2006

Emre is backing former Inter Milan teammate Obafemi Martins to be a big success at Newcastle United.
Martins is due to sign a ?10million St James' Park deal in the next 24 hours.

Turkish star Emre, who played alongside Martins, 21, at the San Siro, will team up with him again at Newcastle.

And he insists the Nigerian hotshot can fill Alan Shearer's boots.

Emre said: "Obafemi is very quick, probably the quickest I've ever played with.

"Speed is very important for strikers in England because the game is so fast. You have to think quickly and Martins will be able to do that.

"He will score a lot of goals for Newcastle. It's an excellent signing and it's a good move for him at this stage of his career."

Toon boss Glenn Roeder, who had asked Emre for a character reference on Martins, said: "There's been speculation on a dozen strikers but this is the man I've always wanted.

"His goal record is excellent for a league like Serie A. And the amount of goals he's scored is more impressive in a defensive league.

"He's got many qualities but one is rapid pace. He can do 11 seconds for 100 metres - although it's about the first two or three metres that count in football. He's also powerful so he'll cope physically with the Premiership.

"I'm hoping, even at the price we've paid, he's a player who will go up in value."

Martins will be offered the chance to follow in Shearer's footsteps by taking over the Magpies' No 9 shirt.

And Roeder added: "If he wanted to take it I'd have no problem whatsoever. But if he wanted to wear another that was available he wouldn't be forced.

"The No 9 shirt doesn't guarantee you goals, there have been plenty of players who've shown that at this club down the years.

"It's the person that's in the shirt that counts whatever the number."

Martins' goal record of 49 goals in just over 130 appearances in Italy is impressive.

And Roeder revealed he has been monitoring the player since he scored for Inter against Arsenal in the Champions League three years ago.

He said: "The first time I noticed him was at Highbury a few years ago and he kept resurfacing.

"He's always been in the back of my mind because he looks so strong and because of his pace.

"Emre's been able to help. He was very positive towards him as a person - as were Italian contacts of mine."

Old August 24th, 2006, 10:10   #35
Carson35
XT Post Number King
Xtratime Elite

Glenn tips Martins to fill No 9 shirt
Newcastle boss Glenn Roeder is confident Obafemi Martins can become another legend in the club's number nine shirt.

Roeder is prepared to allocate the shirt number to the Nigerian once he has completed a £10million move from Inter Milan.

It has been available since Alan Shearer's retirement at the end of last season and Roeder said: "I know how important it is for the fans to have a number nine, but what is more important is to have a number nine who fills the shirt and can do the job.

"I was a player at the club and you look down over the years and there have been plenty of number nines who could not do the job. It's not the number that scores the goals.

"If he wants the shirt, I would be more than happy to let him take it if that is what he wants. I am sure he is a big enough man to carry it.

"If he has got a preference for another shirt that is available, he can have that one as well.

"But it's not the football boots, it's the person wearing them; it's not the shirt, it's the person that is wearing the shirt. That is what counts."

Club officials were working to tie up the deal as Roeder and his existing squad prepared for Thursday night's UEFA Cup qualifier with Ventspils.

Turkish midfielder Emre knows just how good a player the African is after their time together with Inter at the San Siro.

Emre said: "I played with him for three years at Inter Milan. He's a nice boy and a really quick player and a very good player.

"In the English Premier League, you need quick players. If he signs for us, I think he will be a good signing.

"He's a young player. When he played at Inter Milan, he used to score every time, but Inter Milan have (had) too many good players like (Christian) Vieri, like Ronaldo, (Hernan) Crespo, and every time it changes.

"For him and for us, it would be a big signing."

Emre played his part in the 1-0 win in Latvia a fortnight ago, but knows there is no room for complacency as Newcastle look to complete the progress on Thursday night.

He said: "For us, 1-0 is maybe a big advantage, but we can't think like that. We start at 0-0 and it will be a difficult game for us.

"It will be a very, very important game. We cannot afford any mistakes because we want to go into the UEFA Cup."

Saturday's 2-1 Premiership win over Wigan and the prospect of further new arrivals has increased optimism on Tyneside.

Emre is confident there is much to build on, and said: "In the second half of last season, we played very well and won many games.

"If we had started well, maybe we could have been in the Champions League. This year, we have started well and I am very happy."

teamtalk.com

Old August 24th, 2006, 10:26   #36
Prodigy
Star Player

There's finally been an update on the official site, he's flying into Newcastle today for a medical:

Martins Flying Inter Toon

OBAFEMI Martins was heading for Tyneside today as Newcastle United looked to complete his signing from Inter Milan.

The Magpies have agreed a fee with the Serie A giants for the Nigerian striker - a man Toon boss Glenn Roeder revealed was his top transfer target this summer.

Martins was due to undergo a medical on Thursday, and all being well, he will be at St. James' Park to watch the UEFA Cup game with FK Ventspils.
Old August 24th, 2006, 10:48   #37
ninecats
Premier Player

Teams: Inter ! And...Liverpool !!
Great Deal for the Magpies, indeed

Obafemi Martins is a young, talented, as quick as a magpie player

And I'm sure he will do Great Things in the EPL.

So, why the heck did Inter sell him to Newcastle if he is soooo good ?

I'm wondering myself, in fact !

Anyway, no use crying over spilt milk ! All the best for Obafemi and Newcastle
Once upon a time there was a lad who became a man and a Champion at the same time.
He played for a Great Football Team called FC Internazionale.
His name turned popular across the Universe, thanks to his talent and fair-play.
He was awarded President in the same Team by keeping the same qualities.
Finally, one day he became a star, the brightest one. The One named :
Giacinto Facchetti !
ninecats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2006, 15:07   #38
Fry
Samuel Eto'o
International

Teams: Team Eto'o
Good piece of business for us and Newcastle, should be existing to see him in EPL
Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2006, 16:01   #39
SM Online
Legend

Teams: Liverpool
You should of pushed harder for Kuyt
lucas21
SM Online is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2006, 18:16   #40
Prodigy
Star Player

Transfer complete at long last! From the official site:

Oba Completes Toon Transfer!

NEWCASTLE United have confirmed the signing of Obafemi Akinwunmi Martins from Inter Milan for a fee of 15million euros.

The striker has agreed personal terms, completed his medical and signed a five-year contract with the Magpies.

Martins will be at St. James' Park for the UEFA Cup tie against FK Ventspils.