World Championships 2018 in Belgium & Holland ? - Page 5 - Xtratime Community
Go Back   Xtratime Community > European Football > Benelux Football > Belgian Football
Register Blogs FAQ Prediction League Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old October 11th, 2008, 22:55   #81
Blue @ngel
Star Player

Teams: FC Bruges
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crackedpleasures
But lets be realistic. The only clubs who can use a bigger stadium are Anderlecht, Club Brugge, Standard and maybe (?) Genk.

Look at the last time, Charlerois expanded stadium never got full again after Euro 2000. GBA expanded their ground, apart from the visits from the "big 3" it never gets full. AA Gent will probably be the next in the row: maybe a sell out the first games when the new stadium is a novelty, and afterwards only the visits from the big 3 will get the stadium really full while Gent-Lokeren or Gent-Roeselare will see a half empty stadium.

Instead of wasting all that cash on the world cup, wouldnt it be more wise to just give those 3 big clubs the bigger stadium they need? This would bring lower costs, and it would not be a waste of money. Other than Brugge, RSCA and Standard I dont see which other Belgian club really needs a stadium expansion when they hardly fill their current stadiums. Only FCB, RSCA and Standard are capable of still selling out their stadium if they would get those 10000 or 15000 extra seats.
It's not about the capacity, it's about the quality of the accommodation. I mean, you can perfectly shoot some WOII movies in the things they call "stadiums" down here
#23 François Sterchele || 14/03/1982 - 08/05/2008

"Rêve comme si tu vivais éternellement, vis comme si tu mourais demain ..."
Blue @ngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 12th, 2008, 13:14   #82
Pepinovic
Fourth Place winner, January 2009 Photo Contest
Premier Player

Teams: The mighty Belgian NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomRSCA
Australia is also going to give in their official candidacy for the WC 2018. As the WC has never been organised in Oceania this could be the perfect opportunity to make it happen.
Australia is part of Asia now, so it would be Asia organising it.

As for Belgium/Holland, bring it on! I'm pretty sure it would have long term benefits for us as a nation. I once saw a documentary on the world cup in Germany, and these guys were showing what an impact the tournament had on the Germans and German businesses (and now I'm not just talking about pubs and hotels or short run direct consequences but bigger long term projects) - I think there'd be lots we're not aware of. The Australian government for example spends millions and millions on athletes, for sure they know why they do that.
Δεν ελπίζω τίποτε. Δεν φοβάμαι τίποτε. Είμαι λεύτερος.

Justice is judgement that is both fair and forgiving. Justice is not done until everyone is satisfied, even those who offend us. Justice is not only the way we punish those who do wrong but is also the way we try to save them.
Pepinovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2008, 15:17   #83
Crackedpleasures
Highly Evolved
International

Teams: KV Oostende, Rosenborg BK, Norway, Israel, Turkey
Australia is Oceania geographically, no matter where they play their games. And while I sympathise with Australian NT (not a fan like I support Israel and Norway, but I do like the Australian NT) I was against the move to Asia simply because this isolates the whole of Oceanian football. With Australia leaving Oceania is left behind with only New Zealand who have some credibility, so a direct spot at the world cup becomes even harder now with the best nation gone. I do think Oceania deserves a direct spot, even without Australia. But I do understand why Australian NT wanted the move. Geographically though it will always be Oceania, just like Israel will always be an Asian nation despite having a permanent home in European football now.

PS: reason why I sympathise with Australian NT: around the time when Australia played the world cup in Germany I was heavily in love with an Australian girl. I supported Australia during that tournament as the national teams I normally support did not qualify. I kept some sympathies for the Oz NT, although definitely not a real fan, just sympathisant.

As for costs and benefits... Germany and Belgium are two different animals, and the year 2006 is a different thing than the year 2018. I mean, with wars being more and more complex and the world becoming more and more paranoid about terrorism, security costs will rise and keep on rising, so Belgium would need to spend a lot more than if they had organised the WC 2 years back. Add to that that Germany (apart from Ruhrpott and Munchen area) has a lot more unemployment than Belgium, so in case of Belgium the economy has not that much room for improvement and a world cup would only bring very short term profits for the tourism and hospitality industry. Germany had bigger economical issues so obviously there was more room for improvement. Also, if Belgium does not organise the tournament on its own, the profits have to be shared with Holland so they will be lot lower than for Germany who organised the tournament alone and kept all profits for themselves. In other ways: I highly doubt that organising this world cup would have any good long term effects for Belgiums economy, and I can mainly see a lot of money wasted. But hey, I dont pay taxes in Belgium, so I wont complain. I am only saying if I were you guys, I would rather see my tax money spent on something which has long term benefits rather than just one month of football mania in the back yard.
Crackedpleasures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2008, 04:02   #84
Pepinovic
Fourth Place winner, January 2009 Photo Contest
Premier Player

Teams: The mighty Belgian NT
It doesn't matter Australia is geographically part of Oceania. If Australia wants the WC, FIFA will have to give it to the Asian federation, not the one from Oceania.

Oceania is a joke of a federation anyway. They should just all join Asia themselves, it's got no future otherwise. By the way, it would make a lot of sense economically and demographically as well. Probably 80 or 90% of migrants here nowadays are Asians.

Australia wanted to move because they only played 2 important matches every 4 years, the qualifiers against the number 5 from South America. For all other matches in that 4 year period, they were playing amateurs. That situation was very bad for the NT. At least now they're playing proper countries on a regular basis, which is very beneficial for the quality of the Australian NT.

On Belgium, you're right they'll have to share the profits with Holland but then you forget to mention they'll be able to share the costs as well. And again, it's not just tax money spent on "1 month of footballmania" like you say. There is a reason why governments spend loads of money on sports.
Δεν ελπίζω τίποτε. Δεν φοβάμαι τίποτε. Είμαι λεύτερος.

Justice is judgement that is both fair and forgiving. Justice is not done until everyone is satisfied, even those who offend us. Justice is not only the way we punish those who do wrong but is also the way we try to save them.
Pepinovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2008, 07:45   #85
Crackedpleasures
Highly Evolved
International

Teams: KV Oostende, Rosenborg BK, Norway, Israel, Turkey
I do think Oceania deserves its own federation including a direct world cup slot (something which Blatter promised and never realised, a promise dating from before Australia left) but I do understand why Australia wanted to make the move to Asia. To completely merge Asia and Oceania would be bad for every Oceanian team apart from Australia and NZ though, because the FAs of Vanuatu or Tonga can never afford to travel to Dubai, Teheran or New Delhi for a game ; only Australia and New Zealand would have benefit of playing under the Asian umbrella so it is understandable why Australia left.

Anyways, investing in sports is good, but the question is if the situation in Belgium can be drastically improved. Economically and in terms of tourism Belgium is already doing very well, so is Holland. So is there really a long term benefit from hosting a WC? It still feels like a "great, all those famous teams and their star players come to our own back yard" without thinking how much money would actually be spent on the tournament. If the government really wants to help the sports clubs of the country then there are other ways which will cost less money and have long term benefits assured: expanding stadiums and renovation of infrastructure, and financial aid for clubs meeting certain criteria (eg youth development program etc). This would actually be a long term benefit for the Belgian clubs and not be a wasted efford.
Crackedpleasures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2008, 15:16   #86
TomRSCA
FM of the Year 2007
Legend

Teams: RSC Anderlecht
Jack Van Gelder, Hugo Borst & Alain Courtois about the WC 2018

Mattheus 7:1-6
Do not judge so that you will not be judged. For in the way you judge, you will be judged; and by your standard of measure, it will be measured to you.

Belgian Football Forum
RSC Anderlecht Thread
TomRSCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2008, 00:09   #87
Blue @ngel
Star Player

7 new stadiums

Those hypocrite bastards aren't even able to approve a fully funded, financed and finished plan. No way 7 stadiums are going to be build

Courtois is an idiot if he really believes in it. This country lacks the money, infrastructure and mostly vision to host a WC. In the end they'll simple come with a plan to rebuild the existing stadiums with a new layer of paint and some buses to get the fans trough the horrible traffic. And they'll still believe it will help our clubs, just like they did with Euro 2000

I said it once, I'll say it again ... by 2015 Belgium will be down to "Zimbabwe level"

Old December 9th, 2008, 15:30   #88
TomRSCA
FM of the Year 2007
Legend

Interview: Henk Kesler [KNVB]

Do not judge so that you will not be judged. For in the way you judge, you will be judged; and by your standard of measure, it will be measured to you.

Belgian Football Forum
RSC Anderlecht Thread
Old December 9th, 2008, 15:51   #89
Blue @ngel
Star Player

De stadions zaten vol tijdens de play-offs

Old December 18th, 2008, 16:17   #90
TomRSCA
FM of the Year 2007
Legend

BELGIUM AND HOLLAND JOIN FORCES TO OUTBID AUSTRALIA
European nations Belgium and the Netherlands have made a combined bid to host the 2018 World Cup.

"Representatives of the football federations of Belgium and the Netherlands decided Wednesday in Breda (in the south of the Netherlands) to create a foundation with the aim of securing the rights to host the 2018 FIFA World Cup," it said in a statement on Wednesday.
The duo that hosted the 2000 European Championship will go up against Australia’s bid with the decision to be made in 2011.

Other nations that have so far confirmed bids include England, Portugal/Spain, Qatar and Russia.

Belgian Football Forum
RSC Anderlecht Thread
Old December 18th, 2008, 16:35   #91
Blue @ngel
Star Player

Seriously, don't they understand that we have 0 stadiums?

Old July 24th, 2009, 11:05   #92
TomRSCA
FM of the Year 2007
Legend

BLATTER REASSURES BELGIUM, DUTCH ON WORLD CUP
FIFA president Sepp Blatter reassured Belgium and the Netherlands on Monday that their joint World Cup bid was valid despite his preference for single-nation bids, but declined to give such backing to Spain and Portugal.

Japan and South Korea jointly hosted the 2002 World Cup but Blatter said FIFA did not want to repeat what he said had effectively resulted -- two World Cups, with two organising committees, two languages, two currencies and double the cost.

"This is totally different," Blatter said of the Belgian-Dutch bid during a visit to meet the organising committee in Brussels.

"A candidature of the Netherlands and Belgium should be accepted as we have evidence that there is one organising committee... If they talk of Luxembourg too, it is Benelux which is a political entity," he continued.

Blatter, who also visited Belgian King Albert and received a chocolate soccer ball from the prime minister, described the bid from the two "important" countries as "appealing."

The pair have already jointly hosted the European soccer championship in 2000.

The FIFA president was less forthcoming on the joint Spain/Portugal bid.

"I don't have the details," he replied when asked whether that bid would also be considered an exception.

Spain's soccer federation has insisted it will proceed with a joint bid despite media speculation that it plans to go solo.

Australia, England, Indonesia, Japan, Mexico, Russia and the United States have bid to host the tournament in 2018 or 2022, along with the two joint Belgium/Netherlands and Spain/Portugal proposals.

Qatar and South Korea have sent in bid registration forms for the 2022 World Cup only.

All submitted initial bids in March. Full bids are due by March 2010, a decision on the hosts for both tournaments being made in December.

With Brazil hosting the 2014 finals, FIFA had already said that South American nations could not bid for 2018 or 2022. Countries from the same continental confederation will not be able to host both tournaments.

Blatter said the procedure would involve a vote first on 2018 and then 2022, for which some countries could then be excluded.

Franz Beckenbauer, the former World Cup-winning captain and coach with West Germany who is also one of 24 member of FIFA's Executive Committee, said earlier this month he believed it should be Europe's turn in 2018, with Australia a strong candidate for 2022.

Belgian Football Forum
RSC Anderlecht Thread
Old September 22nd, 2009, 18:18   #93
TomRSCA
FM of the Year 2007
Legend

HOLLANDBELGIUM LINING UP CRUYFF & VAN HIMST IN 2018 WC BID
An attack spearheaded by Johan Cruyff and Paul Van Himst would have been virtually unstoppable – and HollandBelgium 2018 World Cup organisers hope that will still prove the case.

Dutch legend Cruyff and Belgian great Van Himst are among the bid’s nominated ambassadors along with Ruud Gullit (European Footballer of the Year 1987), Kim Gevaert (Belgian silver-medal-winning Olympic sprinter), Justine Henin (Olympic tennis gold medallist), Pieter van den Hoogenband (Dutch Olympic swimming gold medallist), Daphne Koster (captain of the Dutch women’s national team) and Enzo Scifo (best young player at the 1986 Mexico World Cup).

Cruyff was inspirational centre-forward of the total football ‘movement’ which saw Ajax Amsterdam win three European Champions Cups in the early 1970s and Holland reach the 1974 World Cup Final; he later won the Champions League Cup as coach of Barcelona. Van Himst scored 30 goals in 81 games for Belgium between 1960 and 1974 plus 233 goals in 457 appearances for Anderlecht; he also managed Belgium at the 1994 World Cup finals.

Holland and Belgium hosted, jointly, the European Championship finals in 2000. Bid leaders - in fact pursuing 2018 or 2022 - have sought to dismiss suggestions that their project is significantly weakened by past comments from FIFA president Sepp Blatter questioning the value of joint bids when credible single-nation proposals are on the table.

Bid ambassadors were unveiled at a ceremony in the Philips Stadion in Eindhoven which include video messages from Cruyff and from Prime Ministers Jan Peter Balkenende and Herman Van Rompuy.

All together now
Commercial partners to the bid are BAM (construction and property development), ING (banking services), KLM (airline), PricewaterhouseCoopers (professional services) and Randstad (recruitment services).

The bid slogan is Together for Great Goals and Cruyff said: “Whenever we work together, we’re very strong. To collaborate on such a bid you need to have everything organised at home. You need everybody, really everybody, together. You can’t do anything alone, you have to work as a team.”

Bid managing director Harry Been said: “The big names of Belgium and Dutch sport didn’t hesitate when we asked them to help strengthen the candidature. We are proud that large companies are demonstrating their confidence in the impact and significance of football.

"They are encouraged by the fact that the governments in both candidate countries also understand the enormous value that the FIFA World Cup could have in Belgium and the Netherlands.”

Observers of World Cup campaigning believe the HollandBelgium bid may be assisted by UEFA president Michel Platini's move to offer more power and opportunities to middle-ranking nations and that Belgium's colonial connections may help swing African votes within the FIFA executive.

All candidates to host the World Cup in 2018 and/or 2022 are required to submit a bid book to FIFA next May. An inspection commission will then visit all of the bidding countries. Other candidates for both 2018 and 2022 are Australia, England, Indonesia, Japan, Mexico, Portugal/Spain, Russia and the United States. South Korea and Qatar will also compete to host the 2022 World Cup.

http://www.thebid.org/

Belgian Football Forum
RSC Anderlecht Thread
Old September 22nd, 2009, 21:17   #94
Blue @ngel
Star Player

Wasting tax money an a useless quest ...

Old October 15th, 2009, 13:49   #95
TomRSCA
FM of the Year 2007
Legend

Sporza made a comparision between Belgium & Holland with an eye on the WC 2018:

KBVB vs KNVB: Video
Infrastructure: Video
Youth Development: Video

Meanwhile the Belgian government made a decision about the stadium to be used in Brussels. If it belong to them, there will come a new stadium which would be able to hold 65.000-70.000 fans. They also made a decision about the 7 cities who could hold WC games if Belgium & Holland make it: In Bruges, Ghent, Antwerp, Brussel, Liège and Charleroi there would come brand new stadiums. In Genk the Cristalarena would get renewed.

Belgian Football Forum
RSC Anderlecht Thread
Old October 15th, 2009, 22:39   #96
Blue @ngel
Star Player

Perfect dossier, perfect financing, and we've still got nothing

They'll never get enough stadiums in time

Old November 2nd, 2009, 14:34   #97
Styg
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Oranje | AFC Ajax | Barça
Which Belgian stadiums are fit to host WC2018? We've got the ArenA (Amsterdam), de nieuwe Kuip in Rotterdam (which should be ready by then), Grolsch Veste (Enschede), Gelredome (Arnhem), Euroborg (Groningen), Abe Lenstrastadion (Heerenveen, have had plans to increase capacity for a long time), AZ Stadion (Alkmaar) and the Philips Stadion (Eindhoven). That's 8, how many do we need? And what should the minimum required capacity be?
Styg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2009, 16:31   #98
TomRSCA
FM of the Year 2007
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stygmata
Which Belgian stadiums are fit to host WC2018? We've got the ArenA (Amsterdam), de nieuwe Kuip in Rotterdam (which should be ready by then), Grolsch Veste (Enschede), Gelredome (Arnhem), Euroborg (Groningen), Abe Lenstrastadion (Heerenveen, have had plans to increase capacity for a long time), AZ Stadion (Alkmaar) and the Philips Stadion (Eindhoven). That's 8, how many do we need? And what should the minimum required capacity be?
Minimum capacity would be 40.000.

We have none at the moment
Brussels would get one, Bruges, Liège, propably Genk ...

You can find more about the stadiums here.

Belgian Football Forum
RSC Anderlecht Thread
Old November 2nd, 2009, 18:56   #99
Blue @ngel
Star Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stygmata
0, and we won't get 1 single new stadium

And we're not even talking about decent training facilities

Old November 2nd, 2009, 19:53   #100
Styg
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Oranje | AFC Ajax | Barça
Well according to the link Tom posted you'll get 6, so why are you so sure there won't be any?
Styg is offline   Reply With Quote