The KRC Genk Thread - Xtratime Community
Go Back   Xtratime Community > European Football > Benelux Football > Belgian Football
Register Blogs FAQ Prediction League Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old April 22nd, 2003, 15:11   #1
gOD
Legend

Teams: RSC Anderlecht
The KRC Genk Thread

Last year the proud champion, now an averag team in the middle of the table. Nevertheless Genk didn't sell any of their best players, the kept their trainer,...

This weekend president Vaessen blamed the defense for this lame season. In the game against Brugge Genk let in 3 easy goals whereas the defense and keeper of Brugge managed to keep a clean sheat although Genk had several good opportunities.

Still their are many other possible causes to their poor performance this year
  • * The attack Sonck-dagano isn't as decisive as they were last year
    * The Champions League caused too much pressure and disappointement
    * The keeper is incrediby lame, certainly if you consider Schollen, teh second goallie, is much better than Moons
    * Genk played above their abilities last year

It's probably a combination of these factors, but what do you think is the main cause for their poor performances this year?
We can bomb the world to pieces, but we can't bomb it into peace!

26.000 Faces
gOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 22nd, 2003, 16:47   #2
Kampfschwein
Star Player

Teams: Royal Antwerp FC, Manchester United, Belgium
*bad decisions from their coach
*an incredible talented, but incredible weak defensive duo.
(and than not even talking about Roumani, and their troubles for the right-back)
*the fall-back of Dagano after his Malaria-attack.
*the sudden fall-back of Daerden.
*much too inconsistent (sp?) performances.

And then there's the fact that their squad just isn't wide enough, and then they want to get rid off some players to secure their finances.
"I never knew my birth parents. There was a car accident. my birth mother was incinerated, and I only survived because her smoking carcass had formed a protective cocoon of slaughtered human effluence. A Belgian man and his fifteen year-old love slave were looting the accident scene, came across a blood soaked baby, moi, and they raised me to be evil."
Kampfschwein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2003, 18:29   #3
binswhacker
Star Player

Teams: BRUGGE Celtic,Schalke,VCF - Belgium, Slovenia
Re: The problems of Racing Genk

IMO, the Genk-crisis is already overanalysed. The main factors according to me are:

* They did not have the necessary luck in dire need (all used up in Prague?)
* An old football wisdom says "Show me your bench and I'll show you how strong you are". I mean, how can a 50-piece squad not be broad enough?
*Incredibly lousy scouting, not coincidentally the first one to quit.

The other issues are often not true and at the least ripe for discussion. And blaming it all on Vergoossen as some Genk-fans do now, is totally ludicrous.
'There has never been anything false about hope.' (Barack Obama)
binswhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2003, 18:49   #4
Kampfschwein
Star Player

Re: Re: The problems of Racing Genk

Quote:
Originally posted by binswhacker
IMO, the Genk-crisis is already overanalysed. The main factors according to me are:

* They did not have the necessary luck in dire need (all used up in Prague?)
* An old football wisdom says "Show me your bench and I'll show you how strong you are". I mean, how can a 50-piece squad not be broad enough?
*Incredibly lousy scouting, not coincidentally the first one to quit.

The other issues are often not true and at the least ripe for discussion. And blaming it all on Vergoossen as some Genk-fans do now, is totally ludicrous.
*What i'm trying to say with (like you said correctly) not 'broad' enough, is that your nothing with a 50-piece squad when only about 6 (?) of them are suitable to play on the top lvl. The rest of them are only average, poor or second rate players. While other talented youngsters like Vandebergh, Ingrao (was a lot injured this year) and De Camargo still lack experience.

*Neither do i think the scouting is the problem.
-Vandenbergh was a good signing.
-Soley was (and still is) a great player. Last year he was one of the best central defenders in the jupiler league.
It's only the combination Soley-Zokora that doesn't work.
-Sulejmanovic was injured when he came to Genk, and has been strugling with his condition ever since.

I think only Tomasic can be seen as a bad transfer, but he was bought on request by Vergoossen and not their scouts.

*Genk maybe had an exceptionel season (sp?) last year, but i dont think you can deny they should have done MUCH better with this squad.
"I never knew my birth parents. There was a car accident. my birth mother was incinerated, and I only survived because her smoking carcass had formed a protective cocoon of slaughtered human effluence. A Belgian man and his fifteen year-old love slave were looting the accident scene, came across a blood soaked baby, moi, and they raised me to be evil."
Old April 23rd, 2003, 11:11   #5
ffours
Rising Star

Teams: Deportivo La Coruna
Are you fans of Josip Skoko?
Whenever you see Diego Tristan, a goal is only minutes away.
ffours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2003, 11:24   #6
gOD
Legend

I am. Skoko had some difficult last months as his entire team, but fior me he remains one of the best midfielders in Belgium.

26.000 Faces
Old April 23rd, 2003, 16:13   #7
binswhacker
Star Player

Re: Re: Re: The problems of Racing Genk

*What i'm trying to say with (like you said correctly) not 'broad' enough, is that your nothing with a 50-piece squad when only about 6 (?) of them are suitable to play on the top lvl. The rest of them are only average, poor or second rate players. While other talented youngsters like Vandebergh, Ingrao (was a lot injured this year) and De Camargo still lack experience.
=> I doubt wether the only 6 part is true. Vandenbergh and Ingrao (who I rate very high) have already played league and CL-games, so they do have experience. And with his few experience, Vandenbergh already made 10, 11 league goals. Others are perhaps discussable, but these two do have experience.

*Neither do i think the scouting is the problem.
-Vandenbergh was a good signing.
-Soley was (and still is) a great player. Last year he was one of the best central defenders in the jupiler league.
It's only the combination Soley-Zokora that doesn't work.
-Sulejmanovic was injured when he came to Genk, and has been strugling with his condition ever since.
I think only Tomasic can be seen as a bad transfer, but he was bought on request by Vergoossen and not their scouts.
=> The one who resigned was responsible for the coming of Paas, Suzuki and Causlahri. Not the most boggling transfers Genk did the past few years. I agree on Vandenbergh's value. Soley is a D M turned into a D C. That's different. And the duo Zokora-Soley sometimes worked and sometimes did not work at all. I'm not judging Sulejmanovic, since he already showed some promising stuff. Besides, they've had plenty of time and knew they needed a rightback all along. And finally, they get a hasty, injury prone buy during winter break. Not exactly a sign of a well cosidered transfer policy.

*Genk maybe had an exceptionel season (sp?) last year, but i dont think you can deny they should have done MUCH better with this squad.
=> Could be, but 11 individuals never get the results a tight team does. Besides, from what I've heard troubles were already brewing last year, but the results covered up a lot then. And if Vergoossen's instructions aren't executed well, there isn't much he can do except shout until he's sore.
Old May 1st, 2003, 11:03   #8
UtregBear
Premier Player

Teams: Utreg, RFC
So what's with Sonck, why is he on the bench? Is his form so bad, does Genk have better options. I'm asking this because Rangers were reported to be after him. Would he be a good buy? And why is he on the bench?
Quote:
Originally posted by Wally
2-0 for Utrecht

The green kit is the reason! burn it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
UtregBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2003, 16:58   #9
Kampfschwein
Star Player

Quote:
Originally posted by Tanghe rules
So what's with Sonck, why is he on the bench? Is his form so bad, does Genk have better options. I'm asking this because Rangers were reported to be after him. Would he be a good buy? And why is he on the bench?

Yeah, it's been a while since i heard that rumour.
Anyway, i think he would be a great signing for the rangers. (allthough i'm more of Celtic-man myself ).
I've heard they've been looking for a goalgetter, well then Sonck's your man. But personally i rather see him play in a bit stronger league like the English, spanish or even dutch league.

Sonck was indeed on the bench against Kv Mechelen, because Sef Vergoosens said in an interview he thinks Sonck has been mentaly an physicaly exhausted. Sonck hasn't been playing very well for genk lately, but that's more because of the poor form of the entire team.

Because Sonck played VERY well this wednesday with Belgium against Poland. He played a good game and made a superb goal on a direct free-kick (1-0).

http://www.mahero21.com/BelgiumSonck1.wmv

(with special thanks to Haimrevivo1)

http://www.xtratime.com/forums/showt...hlight=belgium

so answer to you question: yes.

Last edited by Kampfschwein : May 4th, 2003 at 13:23.
Old May 2nd, 2003, 17:15   #10
UtregBear
Premier Player

Teams: Utreg, RFC
Cheers for your reply greatly appreciated, maybe something for Ajax then Though i'd rather see him go to the Gers
Quote:
Originally posted by Wally
2-0 for Utrecht

The green kit is the reason! burn it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
UtregBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2003, 12:50   #11
Kampfschwein
Star Player

Quote:
Originally posted by Tanghe rules
Cheers for your reply greatly appreciated, maybe something for Ajax then Though i'd rather see him go to the Gers
no problem, your welcome.
Old May 15th, 2003, 20:34   #12
glasgow rangers
Rising Star

Teams: Glasgow Rangers,Scotland,Galatasary
Tanghe hey quiet u we don't want him going to Ajax haha only joking mate! Hey i see you have utrecht fans favorite mols there, oh mate you should have seen his man of the match performance on sunday. Played Excellent
glasgow rangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2003, 13:11   #13
gOD
Legend

The resuraction of KRC Genk

A somehow lucky 3-5 win at Lierse which brings them in second position of our league. It is somehow a surprise looking at their horrible season last year and the fact that they have bought a lot of new players to replace real stars as Sonck and Skoko.

Still before this game Genk had the best defence of the league. Mokoena and Priske are clear reinforcements that also make Zokora a better defender. Considering the fact that the weakest link at the back, this season, Roumani will have competition with and Icelandic can only make the defence even stronger. Add to that the possibility to replace the clown that is Moons with a real keeper and you have something to fall back on.

Also the midfield raised questions. Would they be able to replace Skoko. At first the duo Thys - Soleil didn't impress. Defensively it was ok, but the Gambian midfielder could bring the much needed creativity impulses. In all honesty it was ridiculous to ask that from him. Seyfo Soleil is a defensive player so to blame him for the lack of offensive impulses was highly unfair. Genk however acted and did the most impressive transfer I have seen a Belgian team do in a very long time. They bought Theo Janssen. The Dutch enfant terrible still is unfit and let's say it how it is... too fat to play at the top of his level, but he is growing (lot litterally ) and can turn out to be Genk's leader.

Upfront Roussel is delivering and even has a margin to progres. When the supply from the flanks is comming, and with Daerden-Chatelle it is certain that it comes, he will score. Vandenberg is still a questionmark. It looks like he hasn't found his best form yet and he has to hurry. With Kpaka comming out of injury he'll have some serious competition.

All this forms a decent unity and one could ask himself how high this team will end. Will they find consistency or will it be a season of up and downs for Genk?

26.000 Faces
Old September 28th, 2003, 14:32   #14
marsa
Rising Star

Teams: KRC Genk
I was in Lierse yesterday, and it was feeling good to see the change in the second half.

After the red card for Janssen the midfield was a disaster by Wamfor assisted by Daerden.
The reason why we came 3 - 1 behind is because Vergoossen didn't change the formation.

When Zokora went to the midfield and the succesfull changes Vergoossen made, we saw a better play and this resulted in a 20 minutes spectaculair football.

I think it was looking bad for Vergoossen when we would have lost in Lierse, even we are in the top 3.

About Janssen, he didn't impress me so far, but I give him some time. Btw he is on loanbase in Genk.

About Moons, with the better defence now, you see he has more confidence. And the criticasters had shut up their mouths

Hopefully the train is on his rails now.

Greets
Marsa
marsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2003, 14:36   #15
gOD
Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by marsa

I think it was looking bad for Vergoossen when we would have lost in Lierse, even we are in the top 3.

Why? There is not a single coach in the world who can get a team on the rails that has bought soo many new players and lost soo many stars. Genk is building a new team that costs time (and I mean years) the fact that they play as they do and get results alreay now speaks in favour of Vergoossen.

BTW glad to see you back onthe forums

26.000 Faces
Old September 28th, 2003, 15:00   #16
marsa
Rising Star

Teams: KRC Genk
Quote:
Why? There is not a single coach in the world who can get a team on the rails that has bought soo many new players and lost soo many stars. Genk is building a new team that costs time (and I mean years) the fact that they play as they do and get results alreay now speaks in favour of Vergoossen.

I know.
Its more about the formation of the team. He always plays the same. His late changes etc.
When a defence playing team come's to Genk, cfr Bergen, he don't find an answer.

I had inside information that his credit was almost used. But with this winning against Lierse, I think the sword of Damocles is called off.

Greets
Marsa
marsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2003, 15:23   #17
binswhacker
Star Player

First of all, Soley may be great, but he's no sun king yet, gOD.

And the criticism of Moons is IMO exadurated since he's done well at times too: the point they got at het Kiel was 50 percent Moons. Genk-fans are too harsh on him; I haven't seen the same Schollen with Genk yet as with STVV.

Janssen is still not there (footballwise and dietwise ), he'll be on his level by winter break IMO.

One of the MOTM yesterday however was Marco Ingrao. Great sub with an assist and a nice goal (where was Crasson?). Very good technique and his centers are often delicious. Seriously: if he came to Brugge, I'd welcome him with open arms.
Old March 19th, 2004, 10:21   #18
gOD
Legend

Vandereyken mentionned at Genk

Having his hands free at the end of the season René Vandereyken is mentionned to coach quite some clubs next season . The last one is Racing Genk. With Vergoossen having lost most of his credit. Several coaches have been named. also Erik Gerets is one of them. Gerets however also is in the running for Standard whoch would be the most natural choice for him.

Vandereyken lost quite some credit from his stay at Anderlecht. Along with his shoirt stay at Mainz he lost his aura of tactical genuis he build up at AA Gent and RWDM. His stay at Twente however brought him back. The first year was diificult but it is Vandereykens style to need some time to shape the team exactely the way he wants it to be.

I didn't like him at Anderlecht either, still fair is fair. Th eaura of ultra-defensive coach wasn't fair at that time. He litterally had 1 striker, the 18-year-old Iachtchouk. So if Genk has the patiency not to want results right away René Vandereyken could be an excelent choice.

26.000 Faces
Old March 19th, 2004, 16:45   #19
chivu
Forum Manager
Xtratime Legend

Teams: Ajax | Oranje
I don't think he will ever lose that tag of ultra defensive coach. He has done a fine job at Twente, which in the recent past hasn't been the easiest teams to coach, but he didn't get that much recognition for it as example Adriaanse at AZ. Although the latter also like to all the praise about the team to him, unlike Vandereycken who will rather let the praise go to the team.
chivu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2004, 23:46   #20
Magic
International

Teams: Wisla Krakow & Cleveland City Stars (USL-1)
Well, I don't see Genk making any immediate impacts on the Jupiler League. However, I wonder if Vandereyken would be the right coach to make Vanderbergh into the star he should be.
U.S. SOCCER - Don't Tread on Me
Magic is offline   Reply With Quote