Xtratime Community banner

Kardemir Karabükspor

11K views 114 replies 30 participants last post by  Requiem 
#1 ·
Lets give an early welcome to the new team who will feature in the Super League next season. :howler:

Their full name is Kardemir Demir Çelik Karabükspor :happy: For those who want to know what that means in English it is Snowmetal Iron and Steel Blackcorner Sports. :D They aren't officially promoted yet but with eight games to go, they only require nine more points or even more likely less till they are automatically.

So let me introduce this team!..

The city is situated north of Turkey, approximately 200 kilometers north of Ankara.

The urban population of the city itself holds over 100,000 people.

They play at the Yenişehir Dr. Necmettin Seyhoglu Stadium with an official capacity of 7,600 but they can fit a thousand or so more.

They have a fan base called Mavi Ateş. A translation of that is Blue Flame.

[tub]McUDsMKK1lE[/tub]
[tub]Z3CrPWRYDyA[/tub]

yeah, they are bad manz.

Footballers produced: Hakan Unsal, Ibrahim Uzulmez and Ibrahim Kas.

See less See more
#83 ·
Well if someday they wanna grow potatoes, everything is already set up for that kind of economical mutation.

#84 ·
U sound very bitter,bad stadium bad field bad fans bla bla all that was really bad was ur game and u dont have anyone to blame but urselfs.I doubt u will qualify no matter on what kind of pitch u play next match.If Karabuk scores ,wich is very likely considering ur first match bad defence,u are out.I doubt u can score 3 goals against this team.

#85 ·
Is it very bitter to say that Karabükspor deserved their victory (which is what I said)?

I'm giving my opinion about that terrible field, but maybe for you it's a great field to play football on, no problem with that.

What's your personal opinion about the fans? As I said, I was not in the stadium so my opinion may be biased.

I also doubt that we will qualify, Karabükspor is a good team and we'll have to play much better next Thursday.

Our GK & CB is usually a huge strength, with Perrin-Bayal being one of the strongest defences in France. On the other hand, our weakness is definitely the LB and RB: Tabanou & Brison are just not very good atm (for different reasons), and you saw it in plain sight yesterday night. Thanks God François Clerc (who plays RB) should be back from injury next Thursday.

#87 ·
I guess you know we don't usually play like that. :)

If that was the case, we would definitely not be in EL.

#88 ·
Karabuk does not have many true fans, the majority of their fans are BJK fans first and than Karabuk fans. As Comm said there are only a handful of teams in the league outside Istanbul teams that have hardcore "one team" fans. I will never understand how you can be a fan of two teams playing in the same league, never got it never will. One week you like one team and when things aren't going well you switch to another?

I didn't watch the game and I find it shocking that Karabuk won.

#93 ·
Good to know thanks! I guess it's also a matter of how good your team does, if they play Europe every season there will probably a strong & faithful fanbase that will grow.

#92 ·
Yeah they seem to be really strong in defence (except maybe in the air, on defensive set pieces and corners) and their keeper was excellent yesterday.

#90 ·
That's because Tolunay Kafkas is very well known to lay his whole team dien, waste time, fake injuries etc.. Did it with Kayseri does it here. If he wasn't the coach of Karabuk I'd probably like them a bit more. He's such a caveman what a kabadayı wannabe.

#91 ·
Good to know; they seem to be very good at wasting time and faking injuries indeed. Three times in the last 20 minutes they faked injuries in order to destroy a Saint-Etienne counter-attack. I was mad. :D
But anyway that's not the reason why we lost. We'll just have to improve the way we play, if we wanna go further!

#94 ·
I don't think success has much to do with it either. We played in 2nd and 3rd division for 20 years before coming back to the Superlig and still travelled to playoff games with 30,000+ fans and consistently packed our 15,000 seat stadium (new 35,000 seat stadium coming up real nice)

You also have Bursaspor who have always had strong support even before they became champions. There's teams in the second division like Adana Demirspor, even guys I despise like Ankaragucu have very solid fans.

#95 ·
Well you must be right. In France usually the warmest atmospheres can be found in industrial & mining cities (Lens, Sainté) but it just doesn't apply to Karabük once again (no important fanbase despite the industrial background of the city). But if in Turkey neither success nor main economical activity can explain why people are coming to the stadium, then you leave me clueless :)

30,000 people for an away playoff game is impressive btw.

#100 ·
First of all I am INCREDIBLY proud of Karabük, I didn't expect them to get a draw let alone a win!

TBH Karabük is a small town with a population of 100,000 and compared to other non-industial towns there is a pretty strong support considering the club was only founded in 1969.

The other main traditional industrial cities like Kocaeli, Adana, Bursa, Izmir, Istanbul, Ankara, Eskişehir, Trabzon have very strong local support.

Cities like Kayseri, Konya, Gaziantep, Sivas, Antalya have only become industrialised recently and for a long time most the population was rural. The people from villages and rural areas moved to the big industrial cities which is why the big İstanbul clubs have so much support in these regions.

As these regions become more industrialised perhaps the younger generations will start backing their local side.

The main problem right now in Turkish football is you have your Kayser, Konya, Sivas etc teams in the top-flight whereas the Izmır, Adana, Kocaeli type sides with huge local support are in the second tier.

#96 ·
In Turkey the media is all about 3 clubs, well more recently only Fener and Galatasaray. It's been like this for decades so now some loser all the way out as far as Diyarbakir in Southeastern Turkey starts supporting these guys even though they have never been to the city or the stadium to watch a game. Other teams are looked down upon and have absolutely no say whatsoever, due to this you have cities like Karabuk, Sivas, Konya, Kayseri where local teams come second in the overall picture. Don't know if the media works this way in France or if local teams get more airtime and no chance to brainwash the more uneducated portion of the population.

#97 ·
I totally understand what you're saying. This phenomenon also exists in France and probably elsewhere, but certainly less aggressive as here I wouldn't call it 'brainwashing'. But yeah you've got 2 or 3 clubs which gain more media's attention, therefore more support from a younger fanbase who's just "looking for" a team to support. That's how media used to create love for Marseille or Paris just like yours do for Fener & Galatasaray.
But still, once again, I think that this kind of brainwashing is probably less important in France than in Turkey. I think that in France the club's performances is by far what attracts the biggest fanbase. Nobody was giving a sh*t about Lyon 15 years ago for example; they performed very well in France and in Europe, and then they became popular. Media brainwashing didn't really have its influence on that I think.

#98 ·
Thanks for the info :) yeah there are a lot of things to discuss about what's wrong with football in Turkey but it's too long to write and I do not have a good way with words. Even through all this I still love watching this league and my team :D maybe I'm the insane one. Good luck in the second leg, may the best team advance.

#101 ·
Sure but if things keep that way, Turkey will soon be higher than France on the UEFA rankings, and then we'll discuss about what's wrong with football in France :D Now I'm waiting for Thursday and hoping Mevlüt Erdinç will recover from his mediocre performance in Karabük, we really need him more than ever!

#99 ·
Eh its the same in turkey. Gala and fener have been more successful in the 2000s so their fanbase is quite strong. People want to hear from the successful clubs sobthey get more coverage. In the 1990s bjk was more successful (in the leage at least) and you'll notice bjk fans are older compared to fenever and gala.

Same story i presume with eses, they used to be good so they have a cult following but right now only within the city. You wont have many people supporting eses from izmir lets say unless they are originally from eskisehir. If eses find success you'll get more publicized and get more fanbase.

But then again whether they stick around through the tough times is another story.

#102 ·
I agree with your conclusion. :)
And thanks for those infos! I remember the times when Galatasaray was kicking asses on the european level, especially the EL 2000 with Taffarel. I was a young boy at the time but was amazingly impressed by the Turkish passion for football.

#104 ·
Well it's important to remember that a) not everyone likes their hometown and b) people who are interested in sports for sporting reasons will be more attracted to players and teams that can perform or they look up to.

In Izmir for example, every club native to the area was founded in a certain neighborhood and the fans of each club often tend to intensely dislike each other. Hooliganism in the late 80s and throughout the 90s turned a lot of people off from the scene, I mean you can't even wear certain jerseys in certain areas. Outside of basketball (most popular sport there), swimming, and I think a few other sports, when it comes to soccer outside the youth level they've all been pretty woeful. The local govt. also is not allowed to show favoritism toward any one club. If you're abroad or not in the city, it is extremely difficult to follow or watch these teams via media, as in the best you can do is find out the result afterward, often without any recaps or highlight videos or anything. So a lot of people there or from there supporting one of the big 3 they can actually follow along with their neighborhood club is completely natural, at the end of the day they're all clubs from the same country.

#105 ·
2nd leg is today. What are the news from Karabük?

Here in Sainté, Clerc is still not available. There are doubts about Mevlüt Erdinc starting the game as well (got injured a few days ago).

Attendance will probably be lower than expected, due to expensive tickets... we were 34k ten days ago against Reims, 31k against Rennes, but I'm afraid we'll be no more than 25k tonight. We'll see :(

#106 ·
Karabuk have forced extra time in this tie after the 90mins ended 1-0 to St Etienne. 102mins gone in the game.

The hosts have been applying the blowtorch throughout but haven't broken through for that decisive 2nd goal yet. This is either going to be a heartbreaking loss for Karabuk or a euphoric victory. They've put in so much effort in both legs against a superior team.

#112 ·
Yeah fantastic support once again, that's been our biggest strength for decades tbh.

We were better tonight (we weren't during 1st leg) but had to fight till the end of the night. Congrats to Karabük' soldiers, solid team with incredible fighting spirit. They were so close to qualify.

Now I need to rest coz this game was one of the most stressful I've seen in years. What a battle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.