Xtratime Community banner

***New Chelsea Manager - Andre Villas-Boas***

11K views 152 replies 39 participants last post by  devupisces 
#1 ·
Chelsea 'agree deal' with Porto's André Villas-Boas over manager's job'

• André Villas-Boas 'has accepted Chelsea offer'
• Roman Abramovich said to have offered coach €5m a year

Chelsea have agreed to pay the release clause for the Porto manager André Villas-Boas, according to reports in Portugal, and the coach has accepted the Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich's offer.

Villas-Boas will earn €5m (£4.4m) a season, the exact salary José Mourinho earned at the west London club, according to Jornal de Notícias. Chelsea will also pay the €15m (£13.2m) release clause.

Villas-Boas has already informed Porto of his decision to leave for the English club, a source linked to the process told the Agência.

On Sunday the Porto president Pinto da Costa said that "if a club pay the €15m and if he wants to leave FC Porto can't do anything about it. Apparentely, André Villas-Boas is willing to leave the 'dream job' [a reference to how Pinto da Costa described his position at Porto] to go to London and work at club where he was with José Mourinho".

Villas-Boas led Porto to the domestic double and Europa League success last term and Chelsea are looking to fill the vacancy created by the sacking of Carlo Ancelotti at the end of last season.

Abramovich may leave €45m in the coffers at Porto's Dragão stadium. According to A Bola, the Chelsea owner wants to take Falcao to London as a sweetener for Villas-Boas's signature.

Chelsea have also been in negotiations with Guus Hiddink about returning to the club he briefly managed in 2009. Chelsea have been talking with Hiddink about taking either the coach's job or the sporting director role – should he take on the latter then there would also be room for Villas-Boas to take a position at the club.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/jun/20/chelsea-andre-villas-boas-porto

See less See more
#78 ·
AVB is taking his own opposition scout, Daniel Sousa, with him anyways.

#79 ·
Chelsea need an overhaul of their attacking core otherwise this will be a shambolic failure and they will be sitting in 5th place come november, roman will sack AVB, hire Zola's nephew, and hand the captaincy to Kakuta.

The fluency of Porto's attack is simply not a possibility with the forwards at Chelsea.

#81 ·
By the way, you will 99.9% for sure be using a 4-3-3 tactic, which is Andre's bread and butter.

#83 ·
Definetly.

Also expect probably no further signings in defence. AVB likes to have one attacking fullback and one defensive. At Porto, Pereira was the attacker and Sapunaru was the defender in question, the reason why he started over Fucile almost the entire season. At Chelsea, we already know Cole is the attacker and Ivanovic is the defensive fullback so no signing will be needed here. The centerback position is covered.

Midfield is a different story. He played Fernando as a defensive midfielder with Guarin and Moutinho in front of him. Guarin would help out defensively whenever the other team was attacking and he was quite strong on the ball whenever Porto was attacking, ie. the assist in the Europa League final. Not sure what his preferences will be at Chelsea although one of Moutinho/Modric will be coming, of that you can be sure.

Up front, he plays two wingforwards and a centerforward. In the center, you already have Torres and Drogba so you're pretty much covered there. Out wide, you have Anelka and Malouda while he had an explosive Hulk and a hard working Varela. Malouda and Sturridge will probably rotate because both are hard working players who can add some quality. As for the right wing, it all depends on who he wants. We'll be finding that out very shortly I presume.

#84 ·
i like his ambition and calmness, truly exciting times to come...

Chelsea boss Villas-Boas plays down Mourinho comparison

New Chelsea manager Andre Villas-Boas has accepted comparisons with his former boss Jose Mourinho are inevitable but says his regime will not be a "one-man show". The 33-year-old worked under the self-styled 'special one' at Chelsea and followed the same route to west London after a spell at Porto. Villas-Boas said his focus is to build a team ethic at Stamford Bridge. "I was appointed for human qualities," Villas-Boas told Chelsea TV.

"I don't see the game as a one-man show, I see the game as the getting together of collective ideas and good players. "The most important thing is to motivate the players to get their ambitions right, to reflect again on what the club has achieved in the last six years and we need to keep this route to success.

"We are a technical staff that focuses a lot on unlocking potential and that incentivises a lot of freedom of choice because in the end, when the players are on the pitch, they face different situations that they have to solve without the help of their manager.

"This is the kind of stimulus that we want the players to have, responsibility and making decisions, because in the end the game is decided by them on the pitch."It is a clashing together of two good organisations and in the end it is the relationship between all of our players that can lead us to success, and that is what I want to work on."

Last season, Villas-Boas enjoyed huge success with Porto in his native Portugal, winning the league and League Cup double and also guiding the team to Europa League triumph.
The move to west London mirrors that of former Blues boss Mourinho, who also enjoyed huge success at Porto - winning the domestic league and Champions League in his final season before he was lured to west London by Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich.

"I think there is no way you can avoid comparison, it is something that is the interest of the media. I didn't take the Porto job nor the Chelsea job because Jose made the same steps," added Villas-Boas, who followed Mourinho to Inter Milan after he left Chelsea in 2007.

"They are two of the most sought-after clubs in the world and in the end I had the opportunity and was able to make them find something in me that they thought would continue their route to success.

"Coaching was not a kind of obsession [for me] and neither did I use Jose as the way to arrive into this path, it was something that happened naturally."

Villas-Boas moves to Chelsea following the departure of Italian Carlo Ancelotti, who was sacked at the end of a trophyless campaign last season, despite him having won two trophies in his maiden season the previous year.

The new manager is well-aware of the expectations placed on him in his new role.
"Chelsea is a club that in the last six years has achieved so much and people are expecting us to be the same way," he added. "There is not going to be more or less tolerance for me if I am not successful so this is the challenge I face and I feel confident that we can motivate everybody, not only the players but also the structure.
"I feel confident I can respond to the ambitions of the supporters and the ambitions of the owner and the administration."

Andre Villas-Boas 'can outdo Jose Mourinho' at Chelsea

Former Inter Milan star Olivier Dacourt has said new Chelsea boss Andre Villas-Boas can be better than Jose Mourinho.

Dacourt worked with both men when Mourinho was in charge at the San Siro and rates the 33-year-old highly.

"Andre can be a better manager than Mourinho," Dacourt told BBC Sport. "We have seen the student outgrow the teacher in the past and this can happen now with Villas-Boas at Chelsea.

"He learned much from Mourinho but is very different. He is more human."

Former Porto boss Villas-Boas was named Chelsea manager on Wednesday, seven years after Mourinho was appointed to the Stamford Bridge hotseat.

Mourinho presided over two Premier League title successes before being sacked in September 2007, going on to win two Serie A titles and a Champions League with Inter before joining Real Madrid in 2010.

But Dacourt, who witnessed the duo in action together at Inter while Villas-Boas was a member of Mourinho's backroom staff, firmly believes the younger man - who won four trophies in his only full season as a manager at Porto - can improve on his mentor's success.

"From what I have seen, Villas-Boas has taken the best bits of Mourinho and added to them," said Dacourt. "He has also learned some things he shouldn't do from Mourinho and that's why I think he can be better.

"We should respect Mourinho because he is a truly great coach and has won everything, but Villas-Boas wants to win games with attacking football and is his own man.

"He will definitely be a success at Chelsea, no doubt. You can see what he did at Porto in the last 12 months, so it is an exciting time to be at Stamford Bridge."

Dacourt also brushed aside worries about Villas-Boas's age - at 33, he is only a matter of months older than influential players Didier Drogba and Frank Lampard.

"He is young, but he knows so much about his job already," added Dacourt. "And as well as being a top coach, he's a fantastic person.

"I had some problems with Mourinho, but Villas-Boas always acted like nothing had happened. When a player has a problem with the manager it usually affects relationships with all the coaching staff, but he was brilliant.

"He has a great human touch and the players all loved him."

#93 ·
Villas-Boas begins his Chelsea reign

Andre Villas-Boas has made his first steps in establishing his power at Chelsea, by cancelling a pre-season friendly against Vitesse Arnhem.

The two clubs have had a close relationship, but the new manager decided that the timing of the friendly was simply too soon, and demonstrated his power by cancelling the match, according to reports in the Guardian.

The squad are due to report back for pre-season training at Cobham next Monday, and the fixture in the Netherlands was arranged for the 9th of July.

The last minute cancellation has disappointed Vitesse.

"We were only informed over the weekend that the game could not now go ahead, and it was too late for us to arrange for an alternative opponent of similar stature to step in," said the Vitesse managing director, Paul van der Kraan.

"This has been very annoying consequences, especially for our supporters. We had gone to great lengths to organise this game, and our season-ticket holders were being offered this as a bonus match.

"They will now be compensated, and people who have purchased their tickets as a one-off will also get their money back. But it is a big disappointment for our club and our supporters."

The London's side's cancellation gave an insight towards how the 33-year-old manager might assert himself at the club, as he was hired as a "manager" as opposed to predecessor Carlo Ancelotti's role as "first-team coach", which means that the Europa League-winning Portuguese will have more authority compared to the Italian.

At just 33, the Portuguese coach will be the youngest boss in the English top flight after he succeeded experienced Italian Carlo Ancelotti once the release from his contract with Porto had been agreed.

Villas-Boas promised evolution not revolution after succeeding Ancelotti, who celebrated an historic league and FA Cup double in his first full season at the helm before being unceremoniously axed after a barren campaign.

However, he has been busy hiring support staff at Chelsea, looking to bring in José Mario Rocha and Daniel Sousa from Porto as his physical fitness coach and senior opposition scout, after releasing assistant first-team coach Paul Clement, fitness coach Glen Driscoll and club doctor Bryan English on gardening leave.

#95 ·
Villas-Boas said: "If you see the technical staff in front of me, and my appointment of Roberto, these are people who like the quality of the game and have a philosophy.

"It's not just a case of winning it's a case of flair.

"Everyone likes attacking football and the Premier League has a certain amount of goals in every game and it should be an entertaining game for the fans and that is what we will look to do."

-------------------------

I already love this guy. He appointed Roberto Di Matteo as assistant first team coach, who loves attacking football too. And he would prefer to be called the 'Group One' than another 'Special One'.

#98 ·
Villas-Boas said: "Everyone likes attacking football and the Premier League has a certain amount of goals in every game and it should be an entertaining game for the fans and that is what we will look to do."
Uh-oh. Better not let that quote be seen in certain forums on XT.

He's making all the right noises so far. Hopefully he gets the players he needs to play the kind of football he wants.

#101 ·
HIDDINK URGES PATIENT WITH VILLA-BOAS
Hiddink says that Roman should follow United, and be patient with the managers and not sack them in hurry. He says Villa-Boas should be given time so the young Portuguse can establish himself at London club. Villa is the former Porto coach has won UEFA Europa League,Portuguse League and Portuguse Cup in his first season with them. He was signed by Chelsea for a whooping £15million.

#105 ·
Chelsea are gonna be a force this season. I am a huge fan of AVB. Loved the football played by Porto last season. Every Chelsea match is gonna be a must watch this season.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.