Xtratime Community banner

US Youth Teams

40K views 640 replies 18 participants last post by  jonny ball 
#1 ·
This will be the thread having to do with the U17, U20, and Olympic national teams, as well as any other aspect of our national youth setup.

#2 ·
ussoccer.com said:
U-17 MNT Draw Canada, Costa Rica, Jamaica and Trinidad & Tobago in Qualifying

CHICAGO (Nov. 24, 2006) – The U.S. Under-17 Men’s National Team has been drawn into Group B with Canada, Costa Rica, Jamaica and Trinidad & Tobago for the 2007 CONCACAF Final Round Qualifying Tournament from April 18-26 in Kingston, Jamaica. The draw was determined earlier today during the CONCACAF Executive Committee Meeting in Los Angeles.

The top three teams in the group will qualify for the FIFA U-17 World Cup in South Korea, which will take place from August 18-September 9 across six cities – Busan, Cheonan, Jeju, Suwon, Ulsan and Gwangyang (to be confirmed). The U.S. is the only country to qualify for all 11 FIFA U-17 World Cups (formerly FIFA World Youth Championships).

The other two of the four CONCACAF berths will come from Group A, which will occur a two weeks earlier from April 4-8 in Tegucigalpa, Honduras. Competing with the hosts will be El Salvador, Haiti and Mexico.

CONCACAF U-17 Final Round Qualifying
Group A - Tegucigalpa, Honduras
El Salvador
Haiti
Honduras
Mexico

Group B - Kingston, Jamaica
Canada
Costa Rica
Jamaica
Trinidad & Tobago
USA
http://ussoccer.com/articles/viewArticle.jsp_281520.html

#3 ·
ussoccer.com said:
U.S. U-20s Draw Guatemala, Haiti and Panama for CONCACAF Qualifying

CHICAGO (Nov. 24, 2006) – The U.S. Under-20 Men’s National Team has been drawn into Group A with Guatemala, Haiti and Panama for the 2007 CONCACAF Final Round Qualifying Tournament from Jan. 17-21 in Panama City, Panama. The draw was determined earlier today during the CONCACAF Executive Committee Meeting in Los Angeles.

The top two teams in the group will qualify for the FIFA U-20 World Cup in Canada, which will take place from June 30-July 22 across six cities – Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Edmonton, Burnaby and Victoria. The U.S. will be attempting to qualify for their sixth straight FIFA World Cup (formerly FIFA World Youth Championship),

The other two of the four CONCACAF berths (not including Canada which gets an automatic berth as host) will come from Group B, which will occur a month later from Feb. 21-25 in Culiacan, Sinaloa, located on the west coast of Mexico. Competing with the hosts will be Costa Rica, St. Kitts & Nevis and the winner between a two-game series between Jamaica and Trinidad & Tobago.

In preparation for qualifying, the U.S. will be back in camp starting Dec. 12 in Bradenton, Fla. The team will be finish camp on Dec. 23, but return on Dec. 28 and train until Jan. 7. The players and staff will have one week off before getting together once again for a few days in Florida and then head to Panama.

CONCACAF U-20 Final Round Qualifying
Group A - Panama City, Panama
Guatemala
Haiti
Panama
USA

Group B - Culiacan, Sinaloa; Mexico
Costa Rica
Mexico
St. Kitts & Nevis
Jamaica/Trinidad & Tobago
http://www.ussoccer.com/articles/viewArticle.jsp_281519.html

#5 ·
naervod said:
http://sports.yahoo.com/sow/news?slug=ap-u20worldcup-draw&prov=ap&type=lgns

For this summer's U20 World Cup we have a group with South Korea, Brazil, and Poland. I feel we can get second and advance.

... Another FIFA fix ...

It's NOW OFFICIAL, IMHHHHHO ... FIFA is our to KILL Soccer in The US(A).

WE always get the group of death or the HOSTS, which is the same thing, in effect. Already WE are looking to get second ???

South Korea ... The best team in Asia
Brazil (Brasil) ... The Best team ...
... with The USA the Best team in CONCACAF. This makes absolutely no sense, except to FIFA.

As usual, WE will have to make OUR way through the muck, again... CRAP !!!

http://msn.foxsports.com/soccer/story/6526188

#6 ·
South Korea is the best team in Asia, yes, but you don't think we can beat them and Poland? No offense meant to Asian football, but being the best team in Asia at the U20 level isn't exactly all that it's cracked up to be That's not totally out of reach, unless you rate our U20 team that low. On the other hand, I feel that this is one of the better youth teams we have had in a good while.

#8 ·
I dunno abt this US mens team , they r unpredictable and can play sloppy at times

Zimmerman...Altidore

Rogers......Adu......Szetela......Smith

Ward......Sturgis......valentin..........Kirk

.......................Seitz

Adu is adu , u dunno which adu...du is gonna show up and szetela is the same way , if they can just play their game and show more luv for the game , maybe they can get something going

I know sturgis is a great defender and will shine and seitz is a great keeper, hes as gd as anyone in this tourney, he doesnt make stupid mistakes. Smith is gonna be gd , his speed is just incredible and Zimmerman is gonna cause problems in the box,,,this dude is a fox in the box...ala mcbride but is more refind, he just needs service! will he get it!! who the f knows!

#9 ·
I think Rongen, with a full squad to choose from, will be able to field a stromg team, Brazil or no. I would just hope that WE catch a break in South Africa, if WE get there.

WE need to find a way to skin that "Black Cat", the one FIFA keeps kicking in out path.

#11 ·
...at lease Rongen will have choices. Lets hope he, in conjunction with the National Team coach, whomever that is, picks the best team possible, because, "this team" should produce some of the players making it to South Africa, if WE qualify ...

#12 ·
One of my "big issues" with US soccer is outlined in U-17 coach, John Hackworth's quotes ... for example...

"On paper, it’s may seem like a favorable draw for us, however, in my experience at the Under-17 World Cup you never know really what’s going to happen because at this age level things are definitely a little unpredictable. We know very little about Tajikistan and Tunisia, so that is going to be a huge challenge for us. We do know a little about Belgium, but we have some work to do to get prepared for all of our teams in Group E. It will be very interesting come this August when we kick off the World Cup.”

To me, this is a loser’s mentality. It would be irrelevant to me what the other team has, if I were confident in MY SKILLS as a coach and MY ABILITY to prepare a team !!!!!!!!!!

WE may know very little about Tajikistan or Tunisia, but at this time you should be fully aware about the players under YOUR control. It should be irrelevant what Belgium has, or any other team, IF YOU WERE CONFIDENT IN YOUR OWN SKILL, AND YOUR PLAYERS ...JMHO

http://www.ussoccer.com/articles/viewArticle.jsp_281946.html

#13 ·
USA roster for FIFA Under-20 World Cup

Roster by position:

GOALKEEPERS (3): Brian Perk (UCLA), Steve Sandbo (SMU), Chris Seitz (Real Salt Lake)

DEFENDERS (6): Tony Beltran (UCLA), Amaechi Igwe (New England Revolution), Ofori Sarkodie (Indiana University), Nathan Sturgis (Columbus Crew), Julian Valentin (Wake Forest), Tim Ward (Columbus Crew)

MIDFIELDERS (6): Freddy Adu (Real Salt Lake), Bryan Arguez (D.C. United), Michael Bradley (SC Heerenveen), Dax McCarty (F.C. Dallas), Danny Szetela (Columbus Crew), Anthony Wallace (F.C. Dallas)

FORWARDS (6): Andre Akpan (Harvard), Josmer Altidore (N.Y. Red Bulls), Gabriel Ferrari (Sampdoria), Robbie Rogers (Columbus Crew), Johann Smith (Bolton F.C.), Sal Zizzo (UCLA)

#14 ·
Its interesting reading back on these comments after the group stage of the U20 WC.

Also, this is a little late, but re Hackworth, that's typical coach's talk, nothing to worry about. Every coach says things like that when they have to play unknown teams.

#15 ·
hey guys, today there was an US training guest here in Nürnberg, Greg Dalby from Colorado Rapids. I've read that he was the captain of the US-U20 team two years ago but hasn't made an appearance in the US A-team. What can you tell me about him? Promising talent? Is he really a midfielder or do you think he can also play in the defense?

#17 ·
I'm beginning to wonder who’s running the store?

With the U-20 team, there are a lot of players plying their trade both here (MLS) and overseas, who are U-20, yet we ended up with American college boys playing again seasoned professionals in a FIFA sanctioned tournament.

One example is the kids with FC Dallas, Alvarez and McCarthy. It is inconceivable to me that kids with their talent weren't given a more prominent role in OUR youth national team setup.

Let's hope US Soccer doesn't develop the "top down", communist style system that inhibits the continued development of the game here in the good ol' USA. (Merit first, last & always)

#19 ·
The US U20 team will be competing in the CONCACAF U20 championship this March in Trinidad & Tobago. This is the first time since 1996 that a championship format will be used (ie a winner is crowned) as previously there was just a U20 World Cup qualification tournament. This championship still serves as a qualifier for the U20 World Cup with the four semifinalists here advancing to the U20 World Cup, to be held in Egypt in late September and early October (it is usually earlier, but FIFA moved it because of the Confederations Cup).

The format is eight teams, two groups of four with the top two teams in each group advancing to the semi-finals, and then both a third-place and final match. The two groups:

Group A

El Salvador
Jamaica
United States
Honduras/St. Vincent & the Grenadines*

Group B

Canada
Costa Rica
Mexico
Trinidad & Tobago

*=as T&T automatically qualify as hosts, there will be a playoff between the third-placed Central American nation (Honduras) and second-placed Caribbean nation (St. Vincent) to determine the final qualifier.

Obviously the expectation here is to reach the semi-final and qualify, which should be doable. I know El Salvador has been fielding some decent youth teams recently, so they should be our toughest opposition in the group stage. It will probably be us and them (or possibly Honduras, should they qualify) from Group A. In Group B Mexico will obviously advance barring a major catastrophe, and I would guess either Costa Rica or T&T (as hosts) to advance to the next round. We should realistically at least reach the finals, but in terms of winning it, it will be tough as Mexico always has great youth teams. Hopefully I'll be able to catch some of it, should be interesting!

#20 ·
The U.S. U-17 MNT capture the tournament title in Macae, Brazil

Macae, Brazil (July, 27) -- The U.S. U-17 Men’s National Team emerged from the Copa Macae tournament in Brazil as champions, winning the championship match against Fluminese in a penalty shootout after a scoreless regulation and overtime. Head coach Wilmer Cabrera’s team allowed only two goals over the course of six games during the tournament while scoring 14. The team is continuing summer training in preparation for the 2009 FIFA U-17 World Cup, which is slated for Nigeria from Oct. 24-Nov. 16. Quarterfinals for the tournament will take place on July 23 with semifinals on July 25 and Finals on Sunday, July 26.

U.S. U-17 MNT Copa Macae Schedule
Date Opponent Result Venue
July 18 Flamengo 2-1 W Macae, Brazil
July 19 Arsul 1-0 W Macae, Brazil
July 21 Cidade do Sol 4-0 W Macae, Brazil
July 23 Ser Caxias (Quarterfinal) 4-1 W Macae, Brazil
July 25 Fluminense (Semifinal) 3-0 W Macae, Brazil
July 26 Funorte (Final) 0-0 T (4-2 PKs) Macae, Brazil

#21 · (Edited)

U.S. Drawn Into Group E of 2009 FIFA U-17 World Cup With Spain, Malawi, and UAE

The U.S. U-17 Men’s National Team has been drawn into Group E of the upcoming FIFA Under-17 World Cup in Nigeria with Spain, Malawi and the United Arab Emirates. The U.S., the only country to qualify for all 13 FIFA U-17 World Cups dating back to 1985, will play the first two group games against Spain on Oct. 26 and Malawi on Oct. 29, in Kano before moving to Ijebu-Ode to close out the first round against UAE on Nov. 1. The 2009 tournament will be the fifth straight time that the U.S. has been drawn into a group with a team from Europe, Africa and Asia.

•First Two Games to be Played in Kano, Third Match in Ijebu-Ode
•U.S. the Only Country to Qualify for All 13 FIFA U-17 World Cups

#22 · (Edited)

U.S. Under-20 MNT Drawn Into Group C for 2009 FIFA U-20 World Cup

The U.S. Under-20 Men’s National Team has been drawn into Group C alongside Germany, Cameroon and Korea Republic for the 2009 FIFA Under-20 World Cup in Egypt, which will take place from Sept. 24-Oct. 16

The U.S. Under-20 Men’s National Team has been drawn into Group C alongside Germany, Cameroon and Korea Republic for the 2009 FIFA Under-20 World Cup in Egypt, which will take place from Sept. 24-Oct. 16

The U.S. will open against Germany on Sept. 26 at 4 p.m. local time (10 a.m. ET), before facing Cameroon on Sept. 29 at 6:45 p.m. local time (12:45 p.m. ET) and rounding out group play against Korea Republic on Oct. 2 at 6:45 p.m. local time (12:45 p.m. ET). All three of the USA’s group matches will be played at the brand-new Mubarak Stadium in Suez. Every U.S. match at the FIFA U-20 World Cup can be followed live via ussoccer.com’s MatchTracker.

#24 ·
MIAMI (Aug. 12, 2009) -- The U.S. U-17 Men's National Team took the lead on a goal from midfielder Luis Gil, but Colombia answered back just before halftime as the team fought for a 1-1 draw at Broward County Regional Park in Lauderhill, Fla.

Gil's second goal of the year came in the 29th minute as Victor Chavez picked up the assist in his first international game with the U-17 MNT.

Colombia, who is one of 23 other teams to have qualified for the upcoming FIFA U-17 World Cup, leveled the score just seconds before halftime as Edwin Corona struck a well-placed free kick past goalkeeper Earl Edwards.

http://www.ussoccer.com/News/U-17-M...ow-World-Cup-Qualifier-Colombia-in-Miami.aspx

#25 ·
Rongen finalizes US U-20 World Cup roster

National team squad features seven players from MLS

U.S. under-20 national team head coach Thomas Rongen has finalized the 21-player roster that will represent the United States at the 2009 FIFA U-20 World Cup from Sept. 24-Oct. 16 in Egypt. The roster features a blend of professional and collegiate players, including two players with prior U-20 World Cup experience in UCLA goalkeeper Brian Perk and FC Dallas defender Anthony Wallace.
The squad features seven players from Major League Soccer, including five from FC Dallas -- Wallace, goalkeeper Josh Lambo, defender Kyle Davies and forwards Brek Shea and Peri Marosevic. Also in the team are Houston Dynamo midfielder Danny Cruz and Chivas USA midfielder Jorge Flores.

http://web.mlsnet.com/news/mls_news.jsp?ymd=20090828&content_id=6667472&vkey=news_mls&fext=.jsp

#26 ·

Here is the roster:

GOALKEEPERS
Sean Johnson, Josh Lambo, Brian Perk

DEFENDERS
Gale Agbossoumonde, Kyle Davies, Jorge Flores, Ike Opara, Anthony Wallace, Sheanon Williams

MIDFIELDERS
Daniel Cruz, Mikkel Diskerud, Dilly Duka, Jared Jeffrey, Aaron Maund, Brian Ownby, Dillon Powers, Michael Stephens

FORWARDS
Sam Garza, Peri Marosevic, Brek Shea, Tony Taylor

Among the players left out
Bryan Arguez, Guiseppe Nazzani, Fuad Ibrahim and Vincenzo Bernardo.