Xtratime Community banner

How I ended up as an Athletic, Real Sociedad, Osasuna, Alaves or Eibar Fan

44K views 118 replies 54 participants last post by  Jonep 
#1 ·
I am always interested to hear about how people became fans of the various Basque Clubs.

Please sticky this thread so people can sound off on there reasosns for loving Basque Futbol.

#3 ·
Me.

I was not a soccer fan when I was kid, like most Americans I loved Baseball, American Football and especially Basketball. Even when I was a kid and traveled to Bilbao, I did not even recognize what Athletic was. As I got older and understood my Basque Roots more, I loved all things Basque. And after WC'98, I started to really understand the passion for soccer that the world has. So I read up on Athletic, I started to read about the games on the 'net, followed how the team was doing week in and week out, I becaome familiar with the Players names, and I really started to love the team. However, the most important thing for me was the defintive "Basqueness" of the club really makes me love it. As a Basque that lives outside Euskadi, I cherish any connections I have to Euskadi, and Athletic is connection amongst Basques throughout the world.

Look at AussieBasque, he, like myself, is connected to a club the same way a local Bilbaino is. He is in Australia, I am in New York, there are mnay Basques all over North and South America that feel the connection to Athletic just like a local. We did not chose Athletic, it is, in many ways, our destiny.

#6 ·
Hi everyone,
for me always Premier league was the best league (and is the best league) so,my first team is always a team from the league.
In Spain,at first i was a barca fan but after barca bought their current number 10(i hate even to say his name) i gave up supporting barca among spanish teams,in one match between real madrid and athletic club de bilbao comentator said athletic club de bilbao has policy of using only basque players and that made me instrested i searched in the internet to find the official website and then go and read the history of the club,that made much more interested and i began supporting Athletic Club de Bilbao and after beginning the support of the club i decided to learn Spanish and Basque and go one day to Bilbao and San Mames (although i didn't spend much time on learning them and i didn't travel to bilbao).
I always wished MANCHESTER UNITED to have a policy like this to use only ENGLISH playersBut it will never come true.At least MANCHESTER UNITED have more ENGLISH than some other arch rivals arse nal,liverpool and chelscum i think.
Have fun every one
Bye.

#9 ·
I was interested in the Basque country after reading a couple of books about the language, history and culture. I also admired the club's signing policy and started to watch the games on TV when possible. Just discovered this forum so will be able to follow Athletic much more closely!

#10 ·
FCB_Simon said:
I played in a Pro Evo league as Bilbao and stayed with them - learnt to love Yeste, Tiko & Etxeberria and it's gone on from there!
Hi every one
simon,
I did the same but it was after becoming a supporter of the club ,it caused me liking more and more the club.

I also chose Athletic Club de Bilbao in FIFA Manager.
Some of my information about players are from FIFA Manager,for example,after Athletic Club de Bilbao bought David Lopez ,i tried to buy him ,but there was an error that you can only buy basque players,so i understood that he is not from Basque country,i checked in the internet and it was correct. he is from La Roja not basque country.
Also,the same about Ezquerro i tried to bought him,but the same error happened.
I bought several osasuna players and most of them become big players in FIFA Manager,if they will become big players in real football too,i hope Athletic Club de Bilbao will buy them.
Top of them Raul Garcia who is playing now in Athletico madrid i think.
And after him,Flaño twins.

Bye.

#11 ·
I was studying my family history and discovered that my grandfather was born and raised not far from Bilbao. At the same time I was discovering la liga. It only makes sense that I choose as a favorite team one that I have a "history" with. Now my grandfather never attended an Athletic game. I can be sure of that since he immigrated to the US in 1903 (at the age of 3).

I happy that I became a fan as they are a team worth cheering for for the reasons that drew the rest of you into fandom.

#12 ·
I was playing Championship manager 2002-03 and I was looking on all the teams more or less to manage and when I got to one with players with very strange names and all "Spanish" I started playing with them since they had Julen, Isma and Etxebe whom all I liked from before, specially Julen! While playing I noticed that they could only use Basque players, which made med like them even more since I've always believed that a club should use their own players, if not local!

Another reason was my ability to choose teams which are playing bad, every team I like is never winning anything, so I guess they fit the profile!

#16 ·
Finrod_GREECE! said:
Hey,Athletic is doing really bad only the last 2 years,when you started we were doing just good,near UEFA places and so...
Hi everyone

Yes,Finrod,we are doing really bad from two years ago, and our biggest problem is in front of goal, we can't score easily and instead concende goal(s) easily.
We did well against Athletico madrid but scoreline was 2-0 for them.
We did well against villareal but scoreline was 1-0 for them.
I didn't watch barca and i don't know how we did against them, and i don't know we deserved a point instead of loss or not.
Against Betis we were lucky that Betis didn't score from fatal mistake of Iraizoz.

Aduriz and Llorente both are good but not prolific scorer.
We need a new Zara.
When we can score easily many of 1-0 and 2-0 losses can change to draw or win.

Bye.

#17 ·
Well, my turn...

First, it's hard to explain I think, because it's a feeling, a very strong one...
Athletic caught my interest a long time ago, I was about 13/14 years old, supporting my local clubs and interested in football in general.
Probably because of that I watched Eurogoals, the famous programme on Eurosport on a regular base. It was there when I saw Athletic for the first time in my life, on TV, on a late evening when my parents weren't at home so I could watch it :D. We played some team and Isma Urzaiz scored by a bicycle-kick, a fabulous goal, but it wasn't just the goal which caught my interest, but just the name... Urzaiz... I never heard a name with such a weird pronounciation. It sounded like magic, especially in combination with that goal I saw. Also I think I was extremely lucky to see Athletic because usually we are/were never on Eurogoals or programmes (no pay-tv) about football abroad in general.

That's how I learnt to know Athletic at the very first time, still my feelings were quite neutral, but also I was interested in this club, I started to 'research' a bit and saw Athletic played just with Basques, learnt to know about the policy but didn't really understand why... it wasn't important at the time, I just had to respect such a club, playing just with locals and never relegated to the Segunda, that's class!

Still, I never saw Athletic play in real (although I tried hard to watch more Eurogoals, but like always it's Madrid, Barça etc), never talked to other fans (because there weren't over here) and actually still didn't really know something about the club. However, I grew older and got more interested in politics, learned more about politics and I think it's fair to say politics play a part in our history... also on politics I can say I've got the same thoughts, in general (!) like people in Euskadi.

As I'm a cycling fan too, I can say I was really impressed by Roberto Laiseka's victory on Luz-Ardiden in 2001. As you might know every year during the Tour de France there's a invasion of Basques in the Pyrrenees. In the past it never interested me, but since I was interested in Athletic I saw a kind of relation, the passion and pride of these people. Laiseka won and I'll never forget his words, in an interview, perhaps not directly after the race, but later on, he emphasized this was a victory for Euskadi, not for Spain... confusing for me at the time, but when I saw the pride and party at the mountains when Laiseka passed them, I realised it must've been very important...

Still I have my doubts, because here in Holland no one talks about Basque Country, there's only one reason when there's something about Euskadi in the news over here, and that's terrorism. So because of these propaganda I didn't know what to think of it, these 'weird' Basques, would they really be so evil???

Couldn't believe it, time to check it our in real! I'm extremely lucky the club decides from time to time to visit Holland during pre-season, just like four year and almost three months ago. In a place almost three hours by train from where I live (but still Holland, it's bigger then you might think :D) I visit Athletic for the first time, we lost 2-1 versus AZ. It was just a boring preseason match, but I again I saw the passion of the fans, my Spanish was horrible so I couldn't talk to the Athletic fans who travelled all the way from Spain, but when they noticed someone not from Basque Country having sympathies for Athletic their reactions where lovely.

Next season Athletic again visited Holland, because I was just 18 years old at the time and didn't have money, I could just visit one match, in Heerenveen, again very far from where I live, this time we won 2-1 but that wasn't important for me, from here on I more learnt to know the players and staff by names (so not just Urzaiz :D).
Then again one year later, after I tried to follow Athletic as much as possible - also I think I discovered this website where Txupa and others made me a lot clear about the club and Euskadi in general - Athletic's women's team visited Holland.

It was during the summer-holiday and I was quite bored, finally got some money so decided to visit all these matches. They played a tournament for the Women's Champions League, accidentally I was again very lucky the draw decided the girls had to play in Holland. I got a brand-new Ikurriña and I think I showed it there for the first time. When the coach saw me walking he couldn't understand, he thought I ripped his flag (he took one too)... but I explained I didn't, we talked a bit but didn't had a lot of time. Two days later I went again, saw a good match and the coach contacted me again, he asked or I should come as well the last match because he got some presents for me. Of course I visited the last match as well, and when he saw me about 30 mins before the match he gave me a bag full of presents, a shirt, banners, the most weird things.
That was great of course, but for me perhaps more important was the mentality of this guy, he simply loved it someone from outside Euskadi got sympathies for this country... and respected it a lot.

After all these things so far, I just realized this is my club, actually the only one I really love, everything is perfect in relation with my personal believes...

So during this season I discovered the online radio where I tried to follow the matches when I got the time...

Then one season later I got another unique experience, in Essen (Germany) we played the locals of Rot-Weiss in a friendly. When I showed my Ikurriña over there a reporter of Deia came to me and asked me several things... about the flag, why I showed it, my support to Athletic etc. Some days later I appeared in Deia. Then again two days later we played in Holland where, which is really a coincidence, again a reporter, this time of a local Dutch paper, wanted to interview me. For me at this age this were unique experiences, just because Athletic is such a unique club and very unknown in Holland this reporter got interested, also here I appeared in the paper together with a German fan :thumbsup: . Also I went to Köln this season.

Later on that season I visited Basque Country, La Catedral, Athletic for the first time, which was a great experience with great people. Also this season I visited all pre-season matches and I'm hoping to visit Euskadi soon again, just as I hope Athletic will visit Holland next season again, no matter or it's pre-season, UEFA Cup or Champions League :D.

Could tell much more but also this is already too long... in short it's a combination of the passion and pride of the people... the traditions of the club... (not just the policy but also think about the shirts for example), the stadium and just like b2b says the 'Basqueness' of the club, it's just the only perfect club in the world for me :star:.

#19 ·
Sorry if this gets a little political-
I became an Athletic fan because of the cultural and political similarities between Wales and Euskal Herria.
Wales was conquered by England over 700 years ago, but still our ancient language survives. We live in the shadow of England, but it makes us sympathize with other oppressed nations around the world.
Basque people came to Wales to work in the iron industry in places like Merthyr Tydfil and Rhymni, and I would like to think that perhaps there might have been some Welsh people amongst the miners etc who established Athletic Club in 1898!
During the Spanish Civil war Welsh ships defied the blockade of Bilbao to deliver food and arms.http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,931579,00.html
It is also believed that Basque and Welsh people may have common ancestors, going back a while to the stone-age!http://icwales.icnetwork.co.uk/news/wales-news/tm_headline=-most-of-the-gene-pool-of-the-british-isles-is-very-ancient--it-has-nothing-to-do-with-celts-or-anglo-saxons--------&method=full&objectid=18479183&siteid=50082-name_page.html
In addition to this, Athletic's cantera policy and lack of sponsorship on their shirts (for now!) is very dignified and worthy of admiration.
The deal was sealed when I visited Bilbao in May 2006 for Wales' friendly game v Euskal Selekzioa.http://rhys-gerallt-owen.fotopic.net/c1206823.html
I loved the City of Bilbao and the people, and as it happened, the Athletic v Barcelona game was rearranged for the night before the international game, and we managed to get tickets to compensate for the fact the the Wales game was delayed.
Well now I am hooked, and went back to Bilbao this year, when I happened to meet Knoert by chance outside the San Mames after the Athletic - Depor game!
http://rhys-gerallt-owen.fotopic.net/c1289341.html

Aupa Athletic!

#22 ·
So now its my turn now...
Well first i must say i early had a thing for Spain and Spanish football, me and my parents traveld to spain by car every summer for about 10 years in a row. Thats probably where it all started, the love for Athletic started as in most cases with the love for a player. That players name is Ion Andoni Goikoetxea and at the time (early 90s) he played for Barcelona and he really catched my eye in the 1994 world cup where he scored a wonderful goal against Germany(well it was probably ment as a cross but who cares). I remember him as a player with the same style as Etxeberria but it was a long time ago so maybe im wrong...

Anyway after the world cup he signed for Athletic and there i was, the club that was ment to be mine! I followed them the best i could but the interest in Spanish football here in Sweden was verry low at that time. Eurogoals and Cahmpionship Manager kept my interest in focus!
And over the years the love for Athletic got stronger and when they finally started to show Spanish football on Swedish television i became a FAN! Or obsessed as my girlfriend calls it... :)
So whats so special with this club? Well for me its alot of things, first is off course the policy of only signing Basque players. With the (football)world getting crazier and crazier with money as the only driving force the real love and heart for a club just gets weaker and weaker. Look at Arsenal, 2 out of 25 players is English!! 2!!!, a french coach and a stadium owned by Arabs.... my god the real Arsenal-fans must cry their hearts out. That is where Athletic goes the opposite direction and i hope they will continue on that road. Heart soul and pride, that is football!

The second thing is off course the players, who can not love players like Yeste, Etxeberria, Urzaiz and also the young kids Isma Lopez, javi Mertinez and Susaeta...

San Mames and the style of play i two other things not to forgett, havent been there but from what ive seen on tv and heard from you guys the atmosphere in San mames seems to be wonderful. I also really like the combined style of Spanish and English football, the Spanish technique and passing style with the English fighting spirit and direct play.

Uhhh its getting late and this post is getting way to long, time to go to bed....

Hmm think im going to dream about Goikoetxea goal again..... zzzzzzzz

#23 ·
Ok, I'm South Korean and obviously I don't have Basque roots, also I don't have any experience travelling Basque country. But I do like Athletic Club.:heart: In S.Korea, it was hard to watch European football until cable network buy the broadcasting rights in early 2000s. However, in late 90s only one channel broadcasted Spanish Primera Liga and that's when it all started for me to exploring european football leagues.:cap: I have to admit that first, I was FC Barcelona fan because of the player named Luis Enrique.

But one day I watched Atheltic vs. Betis game,(don't remember exact date and result though:rollani: ) and that's when I was first attracted to Atheltic. First, I just liked how they played and players like Julen Guerrero, Urzaiz, Etxeberria caught my eyes. Later, I did search for info about Athletic and I found out that they don't use foreign players but only players with Basque roots and players really proud of Basque roots. That information really moved my heart to Athletic because I found some similarity between Atheltic and Korean that they are proud where they are from, and really care about the lineage and the nation. In fact, their history of 'being colonial' in Franco era is almost similar to history of Korea and Japan relationship.

Most of La Liga fans in S.Korea support Real Madrid, FC Barcelona, or Valencia and I never met other Athletic fan in S.Korea.:eek: So when my friends ask me what my favorite spanish club is, I have to explain about Athletic Club because they just don't know very much about it. But when I tell the guys that Athletic has been never been relagated to Segunda Liga, and Athletic never used non basque players, they are suprised and curious about Athletic. That's when I feel I have done something.:smileani:

There was one time when Koreans had attention to Basque football. That's when Chun-Soo Lee moved to Erreala in 2003. But since Lee left Erreala, the attention for Basque football is not same as those days.

Anyway, I'm learning lot of Basque football and culture from you guys, thanks for that!:flirt:

#24 ·
Well, I haven't really followed Athletic for a long time. I have followed the two last years relegation battle, but it was just last season I tried to watch the games and learnt to know the players. (I follow football a lot, so of course I knew players like Urzaiz, Etxeberria and Yeste, but I hadn't really seen them play for Athletic).
So, it was definitely not some particular game or players that made me interested. I think I have to go back some years.

Every year in the start of July, we see pictures from Pamplona and el encierro in norwegian news. Later I saw a travel program in TV about the San Fermin and started to read Hemingway. Of course, it was just a matter of time before I went there. I made it 2003, and went first to Madrid, Barajas. On our way north to Pamplona, we made a mistake in Burgos and was on our way to San Sebastian in stead of Pamplona. We had no hotel in Pamplona, so figured out that we should go first to San Sebastian. The town was beautiful, and we could be there for a week if we had time. We were sure about going back to San Sebastian when we had more time (we had to go to San Fermin). Wherever we went in the Basque Country, we saw proud Basques. I really liked all I saw of these crazy people, and also started some discussions about cycling. I was told that Iban Mayo would impress a lot in Tour de France, and so he did that year (along with Zubeldia). In that way I started to like Euskaltel and figured out their Basque philosophy (I already knew about Athletic and previously Sociedad).

Not long after the summer holiday of 2003, a norwegian television started to show spanish league matches. I had no favorite team, the only thing I wanted was that Real Madrid didn't win the title.

The last couple of years I have traveled a bit in Europe, and I always try to watch football matches where I am. I have been in Valencia, Sevilla and Vicente Calderon. My favorite destination is the home town of D. Lopez and Aranzubia, and it has then been a stop at the bus station of Bilbao, and I have seen the beautiful stadium of San Mames on my road, making me more and more curious. It has been difficult to get tickets there, and I have missed matches against Mallorca and Valencia when I was so close. Finally this season I got tickets to the Betis game. Not a great game, but much better atmosphere than in Mestalla and Vicente Calderon, of course.

I am from Norway, and most norwegian football fans follow english football. I have therefore supported Liverpool 15 years or so, and thought that was a special club. But in Liverpool, as well as the rest of international football, it is now just a matter of money. No point looking at the reserves to find the new players, Liverpool will just buy whatever they need. But in Bilbao, it is more about talent and football. It is possible to give players time to improve, and the club is much more patient about their players. Since I have not followed Athletic for a long time, I have only this season been able to see new players make an impact on the team. It is great to see new players like Susaeta and Koikili making it into the first team. Such patience I don't think I will be able to see in Liverpool, because it is only about money.

I follow football and not the money. Therefore Athletic is the team for me.

mellansnack

#25 ·
On the left-hand panel in Teams:, I used to have "Juve, Italy, Lebanon, & a soft sport for Athletic Bilbao"...

Again, I never knew about Bilbao's Basque-only policy until it was mentioned somewhere in my World Soccer magazines.

I began to follow the club's results similarly on Euro-goals and on Middle East's version of ESPN who used to cover La Liga...I learned about the Basque country, the history etc. thru internet and university library back home in Lebanon.

It was quite interesting, I went thru a phase where I really got into them. The whole idea of the club is inspiring and unique, Basques-only and never been relegated. Although you guys have stared down at relegation right in the face :scared: in recent years, but managed to be saved.

Athletic even met Juve twice holding us to a draw- indeed both matches were pure borefests (I have them on video tape!).

TBH however, last two-three years I haven't watch a single bit of La Liga and I'm missing out on alot...I just keep up with Juve and Villa games - just barely even!

It's interesting how CM/FM gaming can get people interested in teams :pp

I had a lengthy Athletic Bilbao campaign in CM 01/02 around 10 seasons - but the best I ever finished with 2nd, 1 Copa del Rey and a 2 UEFA Cups. It's waaaay too difficult when Real/Barca etc. fill their teams with superstars, while trying to compete with a Basque-only! It's still a fun challenge, I think I'll try it with the new FM :D

#26 ·
Here's my story.

I've known about and admired Athletic's Cantera policy for a few years but have followed them more closely for the past season or so.

Not quite sure what exactly it was, perhaps seeing a club still playing only local players when everyone else has mostly foreigners in their team. Also managing them in Football manager helped :)

I must confess that I used to have a soft spot for Deportivo a few years ago when they destroyed Arsenal and Man U in the Champions League. But (with no disrespect to Depor) Athletic are a special club. It's really refreshing to see someone who only plays local players and doesn't have a shirt sponsor.

I'm hoping to see Athletic next month and experience the San Mamés atmosphere as well as have a look around Bilbao. Also, a chance to test how good my Spanish is. ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.