Xtratime Community banner

Worrying times

702 views 18 replies 6 participants last post by  szövkap 
#1 ·
http://www.uefa.com/footballcentral/news/Kind=2/newsId=206194.html
Hard times in Hungary
Wednesday, 7 July 2004
Uncertainty surrounds the coming Hungarian season with several clubs set to be denied playing licences.

Financial problems
The Hungarian Football League is attempting to set strict guidelines for teams competing in the NB I in the coming season, but as things stand, six clubs have failed to satisfy the league's conditions. Now Kispest Honvéd FC, Ferencvárosi TC, Balaton FC, Diósgyöri VTK, Békéscsabai EFC and Videoton FCF all face being excluded from the competitition.

Successful clubs
The positive thing for Hungarian football is that the remaining six sides in the top flight have all managed to pass the rigorous tests set by the league, as they attempt to create increased stability in Hungarian football.

Not a trap
László Szieben president of Hungarian Football Federation said: "Our aim was not to make traps for the clubs. We just want the clubs to pay attention to every important thing. Not every club fulfilled the economic requirements. I believe that an angel will arrive to every club and will solve these problems. To be frank I hope that each club's management can find new investment."

Club licences
Hungary has also endorsed UEFA's Club Licensing system which sets requirements for all top-level teams, including stadium facilities, such as the condition of the stands and pitches, and the provision of floodlighting and press boxes. Newly-promoted Diósgyöri have already been told that they have not reached the required standard to be awarded a licence and another team from NB I B are now expected to be promoted in their place.
Just thought i'd post this, looks worrying to say the least what will this mean for the clubs involved, is it likely they can reach the terms?

G
#2 ·
Thanks for posting this, Tom. Actually, I think this is good for Hungarian football. The Federation is trying to finally get in line with the rest of the league standards across Europe. The Fed seems to be forcing teams to go out and land sponsorship deals that are strong enough/ lucrative enough to support the club. It seems the clubs have had a penchant for getting by on a shoesting (perhaps because Hungarian player wages are higher than any other Eastern country, and the clubs have no money left after paying wages?), so to speak, and this will force them to simply be better funded.

This will also benefit Hungarian football, because, if the clubs have realistic budgets, corruption becomes far less appealing. You're less likely to take a bribe if you are financially stable.

And I think the guy that was quoted saying something about each club finding an "angel" may pretty much mean that at the last minute they will allow the clubs in, as I think a 6-team NBI would be absurd.

Unless---and this is reaching on my part--they have eyes on forming a Central Euro league, and thus offering up 6 stable teams to the region. [To me, a league with 2-3 teams from Hungary, Czech, Poland, Romania, Bulgaria, Croatia, etc.] makes ALOT of sense to me, just seems like it would be a natural thing/.

:D

G
#4 ·
I'm sure your research won't go to waste for the most part, I'm guessing there will be last minute reprieves if clubs do fall short of the standard. There is no way that for instance, Ferencvaros wouldn't be allowed to play for not meeting some inspection or something. If Fradi, as they are nicknamed have to, they will pay someone a bribe to be able to play ;) Same with Honved and Videoton. My guess is, at MOST, they might make an example of one club, but certainly not more.

Actually, corruption is pretty wide spead in the game but also goes on alot in for instance, the rest of eastern europe, and even Italy (more often in Serie C or B though). The case is almost always the same: a rich club is not doing well and is threatened to be relegated, and they pay poorer clubs to go down in their place, OR, a rich club wants to be promoted from a lower Division to a higher one, and they'll pay to make sure it happens.

That's why, the Hun Fed is being proactive here--if all the clubs go out and get some good sponsors, then they all have money, and when they all have money, corruption is less, because a team is less likely to take moeny to lose (or win) a game. Or so the theory goes--yes, you have teams with enough money, and still take a bribe cuz they want MORE, but it's less often.

#7 ·
Bentex said:
re: Worrying times

I'm getting worried about some of u lot ..... some must be on holiday,

where is everyone? .. I know hungaria's in the Arad thread :)

me is on a vendégmunkás trip far away from home as i became homeless for some weeks, but no worry, its just because my new flat which is a massive cheapie in the middle of berlin belváros , but it has to be renovated. (my roomm8 róbert is doing it now, whereas i am away to earn the lóvé)

thus, internetcafés and stuff, but still around:)

#8 ·
Bentex said:
re: Worrying times

I'm getting worried about some of u lot ..... some must be on holiday,

where is everyone? .. I know hungaria's in the Arad thread :)
Szia Bentex, et al

I still pop in and see what's the latest news, even if I don't always have time to contribute. Also my interest wains when no football is being played.

Cheers,
Joe

G
#15 ·
sanyi said:
me is on a vendégmunkás trip far away from home as i became homeless for some weeks, but no worry, its just because my new flat which is a massive cheapie in the middle of berlin belváros , but it has to be renovated. (my roomm8 róbert is doing it now, whereas i am away to earn the lóvé)

thus, internetcafés and stuff, but still around:)
Sanyi:

#16 ·
Piszkos Fred said:
Yes, this part is pure speculation on my part.
However, this part can be speculated further. We can agree on who's participating in the UEFA-cups, the first five or two from every nation, etc. OK, it would also depend on UEFA.
But first of all, we all have to be rich to make those long trips every week:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.