Xtratime Community banner

Meola Back!

445 views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Freddie 
#1 ·
I read somewhere that Tony Meola is back at starter replacing Keller, for the big game with Barbados. If true what do you all think?

I've always liked Meola, he seems to play big in big games and has limited his knuckle head plays particularly this year in the MLS where he was outstanding.

#2 ·
Keller has to play in Spain a day or two before and Arena rightfully questions whether it would be wise for him to fly all that way and be expected to perform. Don't know why Freidel won't be there (will he get rid of that ugly dye job already!!)

Barbados is an amatuer side so as long as Meola plays half-decent we're OK. He had the season of his life, but KC's defense was rock hard in front of him. No way the Jersey boy belongs anywhere near the US side in the future. I hope Arena knows that.

#4 ·
Haven't heard for sure but they probably won't ask Keller to travel for the friendlies. No comparison between Keller and Meola. Remember, his big season came against MLS players... I hope nobody is having hallucinations and thinking that Meola could cut it against world class competition.

#5 ·
So guys, how do you rank your 5 best keepers???
Im just interested and wanna know! :)
Kasey first? Meola second? Friedel third???
And dont you have some keeper in Columbus that plays in the national team???
TELL ME ALL! :) hehe

#7 ·
meola mess top the game vs. China --- yesterday

he lost a 50/50 ball to a 17 yr old china men, that bora was trying out. and Bummmmm score 1-2 to usa, thanks to an own goal by china defender, early on the 2nd half.

landon donovan played 90 minutes
berhalter showed that he is belong to his 2nd or 3rd class team in europe, there is many more better in MLS to his position for the nats.

agoos saved the afternoon for the Usians....kuddos to brian Mcbride!

next test for meola is colombia with his new 3 strickers in the international field. Fridel is no better than Tony!

#8 ·
Meola didn't want any part of that one-on-one Palermo. That was a lame attempt he made... looked like a bad recreation league keeper. I would take Friedel 10 times out of 10 over Meola. Bet the Colombians score on him.

US got fatigued in second half... the players he had on the roster mostly hadn't played/trained for at least a couple of months. Donovan looks like a sweet player... great flick pass for McBride's goal.

#9 ·
Top 5 US Keepers:

1) K.Keller
2) B.Friedal
3) T.Meola
4) Z.Thornton
5) Aidan Brown

Hon. Mention: K.Hartman and Matt Jordan.

To me, there is no question that Keller is #1. I might be pushing it, but I think he maybe one of the top 15-20 keepers in the world. To back my assertion, I say go see a tape of the USA-Brazil Concacaf Gold Cup semifinal.

Friedal is quite serviceable; The one thing about Meola is that he is 3 times better now than he was in 1994. Thornton is a BIG Boy; However, Brown is definitely our keeper of the future. He was making some incredible saves for Colorado last year and I think he is a better keeper than Meola was at his age.

I think Hartman is too short and I have never been personally impressed by him. As for Jordan, I heard he made a very good impression during his recent trial in Belgium.

#10 ·
The only thing I'd argue is Thorton... I don't think he has a sense of the game on the ground. Athletic as hell, though.

Keller is easily top 20 in the world. I've seen him enough to say it. He makes the BIG saves. Cool as a cucumber. Defenders love that. So do coaches.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.