Xtratime Community banner

Montenegro Football Thread

110K views 1K replies 104 participants last post by  Antivari22 
#1 · (Edited)
#2 ·
Hey Varvar,

I really don't know if this is spam, but I like your project, I have some Montenegrin friends from Cetinje who are real "ljudine"

Not enough Montenegrins here to start a sub forum, plus Montenegro will take a while to gain independence even if they vote for it.

Good luck

#5 ·
Yep, it's called Serbian soccer and nobody complained yet, you might want to take this up with the guys in there man, sure none would take offense.

Mislim da nece nikome smetati ako promijenu ime i ukljuce Crnu Goru u diskusije. Sretno.

#9 ·
Savo said:
They wont .... so dont start cheering
?? I couldn't care less man, I'm not preoccupied with other people's problems :)

#13 ·
Savo, a lot of people in that region around Zadar are actually catholic Serbs (if you can put it that way). I personally know a few here, in their village everybody had Djurdjevdan as their slava, even though officially they were Croatian. I guess that explains the triumph of Zadar in the Adriatic basketball league. :D

#15 ·
Why so jumpy buddy?

I know the people personally and those are their claims, not mine. When I hear from them again I will even get the name of their village if it will make you feel any better. ;)

#17 · (Edited by Moderator)
People let's get this thread back on track. I think the Montenegrian team-once it starts to compete soon- could have a chance to be a decent side. Players like Savicevic and Mijatovic are products of it's youth football and they were high quality players. I can understand why they didn't play too well for the Yugo and S&M team though, their heart just wasn't in to it...:rolleyes:

Anyways, good luck to Montenegrian football.

#18 ·
Well this thread has been really constructive, some real good discussion of Montenegrin football. :tongue:

As for the Serbian forum, considering that the majority of posters from Montenegro here :tongue:;) consider Montenegrins = Serbs, I don't see why the discussion is necessary.

#19 ·
I'm not sure if the Olympic Montenegran soccer team exists at all but I did find out that they tried to form their own team about 3 years back...

Yugoslav Army Tries To Block Montenegrin Soccer Players From Albania. Yugoslav Army troops blocked a bus of the Montenegrin Olympic soccer team on 23 August, near the Albanian-Montenegrin border. The soccer players were on their way to Shkodra to play a friendly match, "Albanian Daily News" reported

Army officials said that federal authorities ordered the border crossing closed but, after one hour of negotiations, they allowed the bus to pass. The match ended 2:2.

Officials from Montenegro's Olympic Committee said recently that they will seek approval from the International Olympic Committee to participate in all games after the 2000 Olympics as a separate team under their own flag and not as part of a Yugoslav team (see "RFE/RL Newsline," 31 July 2000). The Soccer Association of Montenegro has contacted its counterparts in Croatia, Slovenia, and Macedonia to organize friendly games against their respective Olympic teams. (Fabian Schmidt)

#21 ·
About soccer in Montenegro....

Does Montenegro still have plans to separate its soccer team in the future? I was just wondering, just for the sake of argument that they do have play more friendly games as a separate entity, who the players would most likely be (who are the best Montenegrin players?) and would it be a decent team? I know it's a funny sort of question but, when Yugo broke up it certainly didn't make NT's of Croatia and Slovenia any weaker. I mean, both those NT's are still capable making it to major tournaments by themselves...Do you think Montenegrin soccer would suffer or soar if it played seperatly?

#22 · (Edited by Moderator)
red star forever said:
Ero man, why are you getting all jumpy? I just stated a fact and torcida insults me by calling me a "hrvat" (God forbid). You can have Croatia, I was not questioning your right to your country, just indicating the origins of a part of your population and it came up in the conversation.

Now that isn't that hard to swallow is it??
I can get into a historical debate about your statement here (it is wrong) but it will suffice to say this. The "all Serbs and everywhere" ("Srbi svi i svugde") was first conjured by linguist Vuk Karadzic and founded upon studies into language characteristics across the Bakan region. Karadic was a Serb expansionist and extreme nationalist and his findings have since been shattered by actual historical documentation and analysis of data collected from the firs written records available. The sad thruth is that those disillusioned enough to beleive the theroy of a man without adequate qualifications to write a thesis on the origins of his own family tree, let alone the evolution of two people's numbering in the millions.

Karadzic concluded that there are only 32,000 Croats, no Bosniaks and no Macedonians, and that the Serb nation should strech from the Trieste region, through Istria and all the way to the Greek border.

His theories and conclusions have since been discarded as the ramblings of a madman, everywhere except in Belgrade, where every theory supporting the Greater Serbian claim, no matter how obviously flawed and unfounded, is regarded as truth for the greater Serbian cause thus reinforcing the complex some still have today.

But nobody will make you believe my version, just like there are peoples and communities who continue to live in denial of certain issues untill this very day...so believe what you will but don't tell us about it.

Its a futile effort man, especially to those that bothered to read the available resources....

this is no place for these posts, feel free to continue this in the political debate forum...

#23 ·
Ero, history books are written by different people, from different sources. Whether they are a reliable source or not is questionable. Even whether the people determining the reliability of those sources are "reliable" or not is questionable. You will always find different versions of the same events or people in history books, and people will always accept what they feel more comfortable with.

But I was talking about a real-life situation, real people and I already said, if anybody is interested (and if there are people from Zadar around here they would know), I can even get the name of the village from which my story originates.

I personally believe a person is what he feels he is, but that doesn't mean he can deny his roots. Now don't get me wrong, but everybody knows the origins of the Petrovic and Ivanisevic families, yet some choose to declare themselves as Croats. Fair enough, but that doesn't mean they can hide their origins, because we know them. I came to Australia (actually, I was born here) and maybe I can some day get really ticked off by my people and country and I'll say: " *uck you all, I'm Australian and don't want anything to do with Serbia"...but that doesn't change the fact that my roots ARE from Serbia..

#24 ·
red star forever said:
Ero, history books are written by different people, from different sources. Whether they are a reliable source or not is questionable. Even whether the people determining the reliability of those sources are "reliable" or not is questionable. You will always find different versions of the same events or people in history books, and people will always accept what they feel more comfortable with.

But I was talking about a real-life situation, real people and I already said, if anybody is interested (and if there are people from Zadar around here they would know), I can even get the name of the village from which my story originates.

I personally believe a person is what he feels he is, but that doesn't mean he can deny his roots. Now don't get me wrong, but everybody knows the origins of the Petrovic and Ivanisevic families, yet some choose to declare themselves as Croats. Fair enough, but that doesn't mean they can hide their origins, because we know them. I came to Australia (actually, I was born here) and maybe I can some day get really ticked off by my people and country and I'll say: " *uck you all, I'm Australian and don't want anything to do with Serbia"...but that doesn't change the fact that my roots ARE from Serbia..
I agree with you there man, completely. If someone is of Serbian origin, its nothing to hide. Petrovic is more a Serbian surname than Croatian, but that doesn't mean he is Serbian. If he says he is Croatian, so be it, he is. Just like Ivan Ergic says he's Serbian, so be it. In my book, he is Serbian just as much as anyone else.

My surname is Italian in origin, I am not Italian and have nothing to do with Italy. Same concept. There are many with roots dating back centuries, this doesn't give the prigin people the right to claim these people as their own.

#25 ·
I was just just about to add that the history in the area is so complex. Croatian, Italian, Albanian Vlach, Greek origins can be found.... Just like places in Serbia who has blood lines from Mongolian, Bulgarian and Turkish invaders as well as Vlachs, Greeks, Albanians and Croat.... The history is so complex, that many nationalist historians take bits and pieces to try to prove their theories while ignoring facts that could just as easily disprove them. I'm Croat, Ero's Croat and RSF is Serb...or Montenegran?

Now, someone answer my questions concerning Montenegran soccer.:cool:

#26 · (Edited by Moderator)
Super Croat said:
Do you think Montenegrin soccer would suffer or soar if it played seperatly?
Montenegrin soccer is not so strong as it is (well just look at the region's population).. The only good club is Sutjeska, which finished third and made the Intertoto Cup..Other than that you've got Zeta form Golubovci (who are headed by Savicevic) who are decent but I mean considering where they come from that tells you enough about the club! Just showing how poor some of Montenegrin clubs are, newly promoted FK Kom do not have it seems like enough money to pay entrance for the first division nor can they afford a suitable stadium to host their matches in (Buducnost supposedly wants 5000 $ per match for the rights of the stadium!).. As for good Montenegrin players... Heh, well for now things aren't looked upon that way (separation between Serbian and Montenegrin players doesn't exist.. all looked up on as being the same...) Most of the top youngsters remain in the Montenegrin clubs which are in the first division at the moment (i.e. Sutjeska, Zeta and Mogren of last season) such as 17 year old striker Purovic (of Sutjeska) who not too long along ago at a U17 EC Competition light up Serbia's opponents.. You've got the Brnovic brothers (decent hard working players...), Bogavac from Red Star (speedy, short and dangerous striker.. Ah, he's ok I guess, but he is known for missing a lot of easy chances), Delibasic (tall and good all-around striker) and Ognjenovic from PFC (the latter was a star in Buducnost.. but has been a bust for Partizan), hmm there are also Dragoslav Jeric, the current A keeper of the nt, Gluscevic (striker..just signed with Sparta Prague) etc..
So there are a bunch of decent players, not any real stars (well a few potential ones I guess) but for a region so small it's still a great achivement (you see in other smaller regions of Serbia. Vojvodina do not create nearly as many stars, nor does Kosovo or Sumadija.. Montenegro exceeds them all)

No need to close this thread.